Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 3, 2011
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 1157 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MRedzuanJun 5, 2011
I had my doubts but it was the best movie of the franchise. To be honest, I never really found Prof X and Magneto to be interesting in the previous movies, But Matt Vaughn managed to make them very interesting and intriguing characters. TheI had my doubts but it was the best movie of the franchise. To be honest, I never really found Prof X and Magneto to be interesting in the previous movies, But Matt Vaughn managed to make them very interesting and intriguing characters. The emotional core of First Class is surprisingly deep for an action flick, the friendships, the insecurities of being different and wanting to be accepted into society is really a solid backbone of the movie. I just wished that more of the running time of the movie would be devoted to the friendship between Xavier and Eric, I wanted it to develop and be explored more than what was given to us. The stand-out performance is by Michael Fassbender, he made Eric into such a likable person that we root for and sympathize with. He's just so good, ever since Inglorious Basterds. I hope the rumors are true and that when Daniel Craig steps down, this is the man who's going to be the next James Bond. But take nothing away from James McAvoy, he was perfect for the role of the smooth-talking highly charismatic Xavier. These two guys really made the movie what it is and it's all credit to Matt Vaughn for perfect casting. Favorite scene: surprise cameo by a mutant who shall not be named with the funniest line in the movie. Expand
TonyJun 3, 2011
Insanely entertaining, largely due to the chemistry and charisma of Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. The story is fun, energetic and fast-paced. The 60s setting is a welcome change of pace for the superhero genre, and I won't be surprisedInsanely entertaining, largely due to the chemistry and charisma of Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. The story is fun, energetic and fast-paced. The 60s setting is a welcome change of pace for the superhero genre, and I won't be surprised if its costumes and art direction receive Oscar attention. It certainly would help to be familiar with the X-Men universe to fully appreciate everything, but this is pure summer fun. Expand
woodjjJun 3, 2011
Did it deliver exactly what audiences have been wanting? I believe so. There will always be the naysayers who will pick apart movies. You can pick apart just about anything created by another human being. With that being said, this movieDid it deliver exactly what audiences have been wanting? I believe so. There will always be the naysayers who will pick apart movies. You can pick apart just about anything created by another human being. With that being said, this movie takes itself very seriously and gives the superhero spin a much needed edge by breathing realism into the lives of fictional characters in a fictional story. There are no superhero's or super-villains in this story, just hero's and villains with exceptional powers. The script was well-done, at times the pacing dragged a tad, and there were a few discontinuity errors, but none of that should detract or disrupt the overall, overwhelming enjoyment one should take from this movie if that was what was wanted. If someone wants to hate this movie, it will be done. Just look at Karina Longworth's review, LOL. Expand
RongxinJun 3, 2011
It was pretty brilliant. Personally, performances are sublime but I'm a little disappointed with January Jones' take on Emma Frost. The climax got me on the edge of the seat though.
PurpleUrpNov 15, 2011
Better than expected as First Class downshifted into a prequel and brought a new vibe to the X-Men series instead of grinding it out with sequels. Comedic presence and polished CGI did the body good.
ShaneGreyFoxJul 25, 2011
This was by far my favorite xmen film and I have seen all of them. What I liked the most was the balance between the action and the focus on the lead characters. I never felt that the action was being overdone and that the characters weren'tThis was by far my favorite xmen film and I have seen all of them. What I liked the most was the balance between the action and the focus on the lead characters. I never felt that the action was being overdone and that the characters weren't being developed enough (which is what plagued the third film, the worst in my opinion). The film was fun to watch, it had some funny scenes and some great action sequences and I felt myself actually caring for the characters. This is a most welcomed reboot to the xmen series. SS 10/10 Expand
Hooky586Jun 3, 2011
The thing with this movie that sets is apart from the other X-Men movies is the fact that they tell the audience who and how each person become who they would eventually turn out to become. This is great for people who do not know comicThe thing with this movie that sets is apart from the other X-Men movies is the fact that they tell the audience who and how each person become who they would eventually turn out to become. This is great for people who do not know comic books, because it allows the audience to see who a character from beginning to end. Batman Begins did this for the Batman franchise and it worked great for Nolan just like it worked great for Vaughn here. I just hope for the series, they keep the director with that same attitude and this may go down as the GREATEST COMIC BOOK franchise in movie history. 10 out of 10! Expand
harlthegr8Jun 17, 2011
Much better than the past 2-3 X-Men movies this one familiarizes us with the origins of X-Men and the conflicts between the "good" and "bad" mutants. Set among the tensions of the Cold War, this movie definitely sets the stage for futureMuch better than the past 2-3 X-Men movies this one familiarizes us with the origins of X-Men and the conflicts between the "good" and "bad" mutants. Set among the tensions of the Cold War, this movie definitely sets the stage for future heavy-hitting x-men movies. Although I would have preferred a couple of the mutuants be more "spectacular" and exciting (there is one who has fairy-type wings and shoots small balls of fire from her mouth) the cast and characters do a commendable job of making the movie enjoyable and not too corny.

Definitely worth a watch and I am actually looking forward to sequels.
genxmoviegoerJun 26, 2011
A fun trip through the X-man world. Not my favorite of the franchise but well crafted and entertaining. Truly PG-13, so parents of younger children need to see it to make a decision.
Edward9630Jul 23, 2011
X-Men: First Class is a brilliant film. The Film Kept Me Interested In Learning More And More Of How Professor X And Magneto Were Friends Before Enemies. Had A Good Plot To The Story And The Actors Did An Excellent Performance For TheirX-Men: First Class is a brilliant film. The Film Kept Me Interested In Learning More And More Of How Professor X And Magneto Were Friends Before Enemies. Had A Good Plot To The Story And The Actors Did An Excellent Performance For Their Characters. I would give this film a full price. Expand
psbrown1989Sep 29, 2011
really the best X-men movie to date and I'm glad that the franchise will keep rolling. Micheal Fassbender does an incredible job playing Magneto, to bad he will never have to glory of being Magneto and Gandalf lol. the rest of the cast isreally the best X-men movie to date and I'm glad that the franchise will keep rolling. Micheal Fassbender does an incredible job playing Magneto, to bad he will never have to glory of being Magneto and Gandalf lol. the rest of the cast is great as well. Expand
RyanPrattSep 12, 2011
Buy-it - The epic beginning of the mutant saga is just as diverse, stylish and powerful as the "superheroes" it's about. You'll leave wishing the Cold War had never ended. But it's the perfect summer blockbuster that will obviously have aBuy-it - The epic beginning of the mutant saga is just as diverse, stylish and powerful as the "superheroes" it's about. You'll leave wishing the Cold War had never ended. But it's the perfect summer blockbuster that will obviously have a sequel and will certainly make a handful of somewhat recognizable faces into Hollywood stars. Expand
dharmaJun 8, 2012
2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season.2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy, great set pieces and above all, a lot of heart and soul, X Men First Class became one of the best film of the year. Expand
StevenFFeb 9, 2013
This was a surprisingly excellent film, when you hear the term 'reboot' or 'prequel', there isnt much of a rapturous applause, but First Class felt like wondrous step in the right direction.
Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik
Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik Lensherr later known as Magneto, who witnesses the death of his mother after Dr Klaus Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is aware of Lensherr's mutant capabilities.
A long way away from Lensherr's woes in a concentration camp, we see a child Charles Xavier, later Professor X getting acquainted with a young Raven Darkholme, who you may no better as the blue shape-shifter Mistique.
Fast-forward to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, we see Xavier (James McAvoy) far from how we know him, a womanising Oxford graduate who is smooth-talking and charming, tagging along behind him is Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).
Meanwhile, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is killing his way through those who tortured him in the past, running into his soon-to-be friend Xavier.
Thus sets off quite a retro yet whirlwind of entertainment with an ensemble cast including Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, January Jones and uncredited yet brilliantly simple and hilarious cameo from a familiar mutant.
What was most interesting about First Class was its uniqueness from it trilogy counterpart, it didn't feel similar to them at all, and this was good, its creating its own path, and what an enjoyable path it was. Groundbreaking special effects, particularly a scene of Magneto lifting a submarine out of the water with his manipulation ability of metal.
Personally, it was the excellently scripted film that was of particular enjoyment, the large ensemble cast feels fresh, and the film isnt afraid to take risks, big egos, big music and large set pieces have set up what could be a very successful and enjoyable chapter in the large world of X-Men.
The performances of the two leads in McAvoy and Fassbender are fantastically unique, filling big shoes from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, they superbly bring their own youth and charisma to the roles, while maintaining the strained relationship that these two mutant heavyweights share.
Absolutely brilliant and well-thought prequel to a successful franchise, let it continue.
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian,I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian, Fassbender stole the show as Magneto, and McAvoy was solid as Xavier but I thought someone else could have played the role better. The plot is good and as I said explains a lot of backstory to the entire Xmen franchise. I loved it. Expand
JuanoloMar 26, 2012
X men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess aX men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess a 9 out of 10. Expand
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent, I loved it. I was expecting something more like Wolverine, but this was a fantastic movie. Not only a brilliant addition to the X-Men series, but it's the best of the series!

The reason I say that this is the best of the series is because it delivers in more areas than the previous films did...First Class is very deep. For once I felt for the characters, I actually cared about what happened to them and how they interacted with each other. Credit must go to the cast because their performances contributed to this, especially James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. McAvoy gives a great performance as Professor X, and Fassbender is incredible as Magneto. (You will see Erik/Magneto in a whole new light). My favorite scene in the entire film is actually not an action scene, but the highly emotional diologue between McAvoy and Fassbender with moving the satelitte...also the end of the final action scene. Those two scenes alone add SO much to the film and trilogy. I can't explain it all, but this is truly a great addition to the series.

And...of course the action was awesome! The visuals were excellent and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I love action movie blockbusters and First Class delivered.

I cannot recommend this film enough! It's my favorite of the year so far. Action + Drama = X-Men First Class = Great Film!
BrianMcCriticJun 2, 2013
Personally my favorite X-Men movie mainly because unlike most of the other X-Men movies this film has strong character development especially with Xavier and Magneto.
ChikatiloZJan 22, 2016
Best X-men movie to date for me, Michael Fassbender is an amazing actor doing an amazing job at being Erik Lensherr/magneto, I was laughing so hard during his revenge trip in Argentina.
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
A beleaguered Marvel movie property gets the smart, stylish prequel it deserves.

After undergoing some unfortunate mutations in recent years, a beleaguered Marvel movie property gets the smart, stylish prequel it deserves in “X-Men: First Class.” Reclaiming much of the pop-operatic grandeur and insouciant wit so evident in the series’ first two installments, director/co-writer Matthew Vaughn imagines the rise of Professor X, Magneto and their earliest mutant disciples as a ’60s-set origin story, steeped in Cold War paranoia and served up with a delightful Rat Pack swagger. Strong word of mouth, franchise popularity and the public’s seemingly inexhaustible appetite for comicbook fare should keep “First Class” at a high B.O. altitude worldwide.

The series’ spluttering 2009 foray into how-it-all-began territory with “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” may have tempered audience anticipation for “First Class,” and Vaughn handily exceeds expectations with a picture that may rile Stan Lee purists but should prove entirely engaging for franchise newcomers as well as viewers familiar with the series’ mythology. Both constituencies, however, may be surprised by the degree to which Vaughn manages to invest this unabashedly commercial product with a unique stylistic identity.

Providing a major assist in this regard is Bryan Singer, who hasn’t been involved with the series since he so assuredly directed the first two installments, and who returns here as a producer and story writer (with Sheldon Turner). Singer’s touch is apparent in the film’s very first shot, which expands on the Auschwitz-set prologue of 2000’s “X-Men,” extending the fascination with Nazi iconography Singer evinced in “Valkyrie” and “Apt Pupil.”

When he learns that young camp refugee Erik Lensherr (Bill Milner) has the power to bend metal with his mind, Mengele-like Dr. Schmidt (Kevin Bacon) attempts to harness the boy’s abilities in horrifying fashion. The tragic outcome of this unpleasant, rather ill-advised episode instills in Erik a lifelong thirst for revenge and renders him incapable of summoning his gifts without channeling his rage.

In contrast to the bitter, brooding Erik (played as an adult by Michael Fassbender), dashing Oxford academic Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) envisions a utopian world order in which mutants are able to control their superhuman gifts and coexist with the rest of mankind. Possessing astonishing telepathic abilities and, for now, the full use of his legs, Charles is delightfully presented as a ladies man who turns scientific observations into pick-up lines, to the loving exasperation of his adoptive sister, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence), a shape-shifter who struggles to keep her natural blue-skinned appearance under wraps.

Suspecting malevolent outside interference in the escalating U.S.-Soviet conflict, plucky, pretty CIA agent Moira MacTaggert (Rose Byrne) recruits Charles despite the agency’s hostility toward these strange new beings called mutants. This uneasy alliance ushers in the story’s most dramatic development, in an emotionally surging scene that brings the future Professor X and Magneto together for the first time. Though the ideological differences between Charles’ optimistic empathy and Erik’s cynical superiority couldn’t be more pronounced, the men’s mutual respect leads to friendship, and they band together to build a stronghold of young mutants.

At this point, “First Class” almost comes to resemble a 1960s heist picture by way of a James Bond caper as Charles and Erik assemble their motley crew, hitting up strip clubs, pubs, prisons and other unlikely joints in sequences that thrum with period atmosphere. In setting the classic “X-Men” parable of intolerance and suspicion within a context overshadowed by nuclear paranoia and the Cuban Missile Crisis (which undergoes a major historical rewrite), Vaughn takes full advantage of the milieu’s expressive opportunities. Lenser John Mathieson reinforces the film’s retro orientation with canted camera angles and tracking shots that show off the richness of Chris Seagers’ production design, whether it’s a louche Las Vegas nightclub or a submarine commandeered by Bacon’s renascent villain, now calling himself Sebastian Shaw.

Having taken the superhero subgenre to smart-alecky extremes in “Kick-Ass,” Vaughn shows how much more he’s capable of when he plays this sort of material straight.

Still, it’s remarkable how many things “First Class” gets right, whether it’s the decision to have characters speak different languages as the film’s frequent globe-trotting dictates, or the casting of Fassbender and McAvoy, who bear no resemblance to their respective older counterparts (Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart) but perfectly capture Charles and Erik’s symbolic might-vs.-right dynamic.

Despite a somewhat hefty 130-minute running time, “First Class” feels swift, sleek and remarkably coherent; an even longer, more fully fleshed-out version would not have been unwelcome.
beardybuckJun 5, 2011
A must view for fans of the genre. As with all things superhero, fans with even a passing knowledge of the marvel universe will notice certain incongruities with some of the character threads and time-lines.
This is not the problem as it may
This is not the problem as it may first appear, as those who don't have this knowledge will enjoy the movie none the wiser, and those that do will be so used to the multi-verses and parallel time-lines prevalent in so many comic book stories that the adjustment should not be too much to bear.
Certainly the central premise of the movie - the meeting and friendship of Erik and Xavier - is handled very well. It may get a bit rushed and clunky towards the end, but there are some touching scenes, and laugh out loud moments. As noted in other reviews, the back story of the Cuban missile crisis gave it a real authentic feel.
My only concern is the less than stellar opening weekend - I hope that as word spreads, people will realise it is a far better film than Wolverine and the hugely disappointing X-MEN 3.
It not may scale the heights of my favourite super-hero movie so far - X-MEN 2 - but it isn't far away.
Great cameo moment too!
Khunter4382Jun 13, 2011
Another great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail.Another great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail. My only criticism would be that we don't see much exhibition of the mutants' powers, which is what these films are all about. One could argue that the reasoning for this is that they are young, amateur, and under-developed with their powers, but with the shock and awe nature of these films, most audiences don't have that kind of time after 20 mins. Expand
PapaLargeJun 5, 2011
I can say this movie left me pleasantly surprised.Lets face it the previous xmen films were not that good and the last stand was barely passable. This is by far the best xmen film to date and breaths life into the movie franchise. The oneI can say this movie left me pleasantly surprised.Lets face it the previous xmen films were not that good and the last stand was barely passable. This is by far the best xmen film to date and breaths life into the movie franchise. The one stand out thing that makes this film work is it is a much much more darker film than the previous films and gone to a great degree is the comic book geekness and the clearly defined good vs evil that permeates all superhero movies. You leave the cinema with an understanding and symapathy for the the three protagonists of the film which are Professor X, Magneto and the humans. The actions sequences are good not outstanding but good, the story is a good one for a superhero film and a superhero movie with decent acting well i can honestly say this is the one. My only fear is people will be put off watching this movie due to previous movies and the superhero overload which is presently hitting the cinemas . I rated this a 9 for the genre which it is in and i hope with the same cast and direction a sequel will soon be forthcoming. Now pass me the popcorn because i got to think which one of the three sides i will be rooting for in the sequel. Expand
Dabronc777Jun 3, 2011
Saw it at the midnight premiere and was wholly excited for matthew vaughn's triumphant comeback to the series the once held the highest rank among superhero movies. And you know what? I was right to be excited because this film delivers onSaw it at the midnight premiere and was wholly excited for matthew vaughn's triumphant comeback to the series the once held the highest rank among superhero movies. And you know what? I was right to be excited because this film delivers on almost everything a fan could ask for.

But before the good is the bad: if you are a fan of the comics and know the canon inside and out, (like I do) prepare to suspend your disbelief as the film takes the established origins and throws them out the window. Yes Xavier and Erik are the same but the hellfire club is altered quite a bit, there is a new first class and Moira McTaggert has changed quite a bit. These are just major things, but alot else has been altered to fit the film. This was the sole negative mark for me, and it wont be for many who see the film.

On to the good, the acting is fantastic, the scenes are huge to the point of ridiculous, the action is plentiful and the theme is as strong as it was in X2. Of course James Mcavoy and Michael Fassbender play the leads and are outstanding at that, playing the comrades-turned-rivals Xavier and Magneto. Their relationship drives the film and is played out spectacularly on screen. We see the emergence of their friendship and the ideological differences that drive them apart. But the supporting cast are just as fantastic, Kevin Bacon plays a menacing Sebastian Shaw, January Jones is a frost queen as Emma Frost and Jennifer Lawrence as the moral centerpiece Mystique.

The setting, 60's cold war drama lends well to the action at hand, people with superpowers beating the stuffing out of humans and one another. We are shown JFK speeches and Buicks the size of ships driving everywhere. The Cuban Missile crisis becomes the pivotal climax of the film as mutants battle it out while the US and USSR are preparing to the same on a larger scale. The final scene on Cuba is tremendous jumping off point for a continuation for this timeline. But the best scene to me (as a comic fan) was a 10 second scene in the second arc of the film involving Magneto, Xavier and one Wolverine that is total fan service and had me laughing harder than any joke to be found in the Hangover II. This is why I trust Marvel with their franchises, small shout-outs to fans of the series in several of their films.

To sum it up, this is a movie well worth the time of anyone this blockbuster season, from the teenager looking for a superhero film, to the fan who was going to see it regardless and even to the average movie-goer who simply enjoys a good film. I whole-heartedly recommend it.
SeanVincentJun 4, 2016
This movie is the best of the franchise better than the sequel but still a great film,Days Of Future Past and a much better than the disappointing Apocalypse.X-Men First Class shines with it's characters especially Magneto which is the mostThis movie is the best of the franchise better than the sequel but still a great film,Days Of Future Past and a much better than the disappointing Apocalypse.X-Men First Class shines with it's characters especially Magneto which is the most interesting character of the film besides that the other mutants in the film are well interpret and well portrayed by the actors.The film The villain is compelling and played by a great actor Kevin Bacon,he brought charm of his characters and he is compelling as a villain,the other villains are also good.We have decent character developments here unlike Apocalypse,which I have emotional connection and give a damn or root for about the characters James McAvoy is just great as Charles Xavier,I'm just gonna leave it there.The performances here are just fantastic.

The plot might be stupid but at least it's simple to follow but not shallow,The film is deeper than your mom's va--- I mean it's deep on it's message,that mutants must be accepted ,but not too preachy. the actions are creative,It shows the variety of the mutant's powers that I think the original trilogy lacks,In my opinion.And also Bryan Singer stop with this black leather,the costumes Bryan singer's X-Men Movies are poor and and lack of color,This film didn't make the yellow suit goofy but it gives color to the X-Men franchise.

Overall the film is fun and not empty,it gives us compelling and enduring characters,good but forgettable villain and emotional connection and fun to the X-Men Franchise.That's why I love this film as a whole and I will say It's the best X-Men Movie next is DOFP then X2 of course x1 is next then both Apocalypse and Last Stand are in the same spot(Not including Deadpool nor that scrappy Origins) .Mathew Vaughn gave this film a new kind of direction and style while Bryan Singer's style is tiresome.
DarkCriticJun 3, 2011
Now this is what I'm talking about the best X-Men film ever! X-Men: First Class was amazing and one of the best superhero films on my top. This is where X-Men Origins: Wolverine shouldn't been and it's more better than the original trilogy,Now this is what I'm talking about the best X-Men film ever! X-Men: First Class was amazing and one of the best superhero films on my top. This is where X-Men Origins: Wolverine shouldn't been and it's more better than the original trilogy, but I like X-Men Trilogy instead that stupid Wolverine prequel. The scenes were pretty amazing, the cast have better acting, the special effects looks neat (sometimes it wouldn't bring the older effects just like the original trilogy), the action is so cool and pretty awesome, and the story was very good where they explain that the X-Men started from. This is my best summer flick that I would watch this movie over again and I hope that this film is better than the rest that coming out is that not much to see like Thor or Captain America., but it's awesome! Expand
batlantern_87Jun 19, 2011
FINALLY!!!! A summer movie that isn't a piece of trash! This is the first movie this year that lives up to its huge budget and hype. Its fantastic! Main reason being is Michael Fassbender as Magneto, his performance is explosive! Every sceneFINALLY!!!! A summer movie that isn't a piece of trash! This is the first movie this year that lives up to its huge budget and hype. Its fantastic! Main reason being is Michael Fassbender as Magneto, his performance is explosive! Every scene he's in is a show stopper, add Macavoy as Xavier and you have some great actors playing some great characters in a great movie. The movie starts out at and exciting pace and just gets faster and more fun from there. Its better then good it's extraordinary! Expand
Jman4Aug 17, 2011
X-Men: First Class is the prequel to the popular super group movie/comic series X-Men, and may I say they did a fine job. Exciting action scenes, a cliche plot that is performed well by the characters, and an overall great precursor to theX-Men: First Class is the prequel to the popular super group movie/comic series X-Men, and may I say they did a fine job. Exciting action scenes, a cliche plot that is performed well by the characters, and an overall great precursor to the rest of the movies. Some of the actors, namely McAvoy and Fassbender, truly deliver an excellent performance, while others seem to fall flat. However, if you are a fan of the X-Men series or Superhero films, this movie is great. It has some slow moments, but there are also the explosively entertaining action scenes and some laughs. The beginning feels almost rushed, with some characters dying faster than we can get to know them. Still, as it progresses, the pace and quality pick up, and it ends leaving you wanting to watch the rest of the series. Expand
ArkonBladeSep 15, 2011
its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with .its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with . proffersor x , magneto , beast , raven , frost , and who ever kevin bacon is suppose to be are great. the rest how ever are just lame . if your a fan of the other 3 films you will probubly like this one as well. over all i enjoyed most of it. Expand
movielover64Jun 4, 2011
What's not to love. Plenty of action, good acting, and lots of special effects. Very nice job for a reboot of the series. Plus, I just love origin stories, and this one does a very good of that, especially as I do not follow the comics.What's not to love. Plenty of action, good acting, and lots of special effects. Very nice job for a reboot of the series. Plus, I just love origin stories, and this one does a very good of that, especially as I do not follow the comics. All in all, a heck of a flick. Expand
gm101Jun 19, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very enjoyable prequel to the X-Men franchise. I loved Wolverine's cameo! Although, the plot holes this movie created made me take away two points. Still, at least it's no X-Men 3. Expand
txrangersfan72Jun 3, 2011
A combination of the Chris Claremont/John Byrne years, Children of the Atom and the Christopher Yost years of New X-Men, X-Men: First Class brings back Bryan Singer, this time as writer and producer, leaving the director work to "Kick-Ass"A combination of the Chris Claremont/John Byrne years, Children of the Atom and the Christopher Yost years of New X-Men, X-Men: First Class brings back Bryan Singer, this time as writer and producer, leaving the director work to "Kick-Ass" director, Matthew Vaughan. Combined with a perfect casting Magneto, Professor X, Mystique, Sebastian Shaw and a surprisingly good Emma Frost, this is the best ensemble and story in the franchise so far. Even better than X2, which I never thought could be topped, especially after the franchise-ruining Brett Ratner debacle. Hardcore fans will love every minute. Expand
directguyJun 4, 2011
My new favorite superhero movie, my previous favorite being a tie between Spider-man 2 and the first Iron Man. So much to love with this movie. And props to Kevin Bacon for playing an amazing villian. And the climax, or should I sayMy new favorite superhero movie, my previous favorite being a tie between Spider-man 2 and the first Iron Man. So much to love with this movie. And props to Kevin Bacon for playing an amazing villian. And the climax, or should I say climaxes, were astounding. So much action, so smart, and the emotional layers of it all. I'm shocked a screenplay that had so many writers turned out this good, but hats off to all involved. To the people who made Thor, take note. This is how you do a superhero movie. Expand
pauloJun 16, 2011
This film is a masterpiece. Every scene is engaging, exciting . The film flows harmonically and the development of the characters is very consistent, keeping you focused in their problems, happiness and conflicts. The action scenes areThis film is a masterpiece. Every scene is engaging, exciting . The film flows harmonically and the development of the characters is very consistent, keeping you focused in their problems, happiness and conflicts. The action scenes are mind-blowing and the "Cold War Atmosphere" is perfectly revived. X-Men First Class deserves with no doubts an Oscar indication, we have a strong contender here. Expand
lovemusicJun 5, 2011
finally a good x men movie. this movie was pretty decent. it was okay. it had more drama than acting. the guy who played magneto did a fantastic job. James mcavoy gave a good performance. good action movie. i enjoyed it.
SeinoJul 30, 2011
best x xmen movie ever. must watch. this is the real origin of x men saga i guess. Competently executed yet utterly forgettable, X-Men: First Class benefits from an outstanding performance from Michael Fassbender. Thank God he was in the movie.
Just_A_GuyJun 4, 2011
This is probably the *best* of the X-Men movies. It has the best story line and more drama - you are not (just) watching for effects as characters show and use their mutant powers. Aside from learning about the origins of the characters,This is probably the *best* of the X-Men movies. It has the best story line and more drama - you are not (just) watching for effects as characters show and use their mutant powers. Aside from learning about the origins of the characters, you'll have a better understanding of the relationship and differences between Prof X and Magneto - superbly acted by McAvoy and Fassbender. Overall excellent film - drama, action, effects, acting - can't really ask for more. Expand
gimmedatsammichJun 4, 2011
A perfect summer action flick. The acting was great, the characters were fresh, young, interesting and had wonderful chemistry with each other, the action sequences were extremely well done, and on top of that we get a hilarious cameo fromA perfect summer action flick. The acting was great, the characters were fresh, young, interesting and had wonderful chemistry with each other, the action sequences were extremely well done, and on top of that we get a hilarious cameo from Hugh Jackman. A breath of fresh air for the X-Men franchise. Expand
MegWhiteleyFeb 25, 2012
I Love this reboot of X-Men, because have much incredible elements, for example, the characters have a great story, the effects wow, are awesome, the direction is incredible. Really First Class is amazing.
BikerjamesJun 6, 2011
For me, it was good but not as good as the first two. Hugh Jackman's sense of humor is missing in this installment. In fact, the 10 second cameo by Hugh Jackman in this film was my favorite part of the entire movie. Mostly drama and goodFor me, it was good but not as good as the first two. Hugh Jackman's sense of humor is missing in this installment. In fact, the 10 second cameo by Hugh Jackman in this film was my favorite part of the entire movie. Mostly drama and good to great special effects. Overall a solid effort, but not particularly memorable. Expand
FDT44Jun 14, 2011
"X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to"X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to welcome new fans in. What viewers will see is a product that embodies the shape of a bona fide origins film, one that gets to the crux of the mutant behind the powers, and occupies the gapping framework of derivation. The result is one that is heavier on ethos and lighter on au courant hoopla. The film owes kudos to a cast that couldn't have been picked with more discretion and vision. Each character knows their role, and each performs it as so. McAvoy and Fassbender really shine though, each man exhibiting a great deal of control and liberation; the execution feels like time well-spent. Lawrence, in support, also continues to establish herself as one of the up-and-coming actresses of our time--not to mention developing an image tantamount to her shape shifter self. Another clever slant I found delighting was a question of mine that I had always tangled with: do the mutants coexist with historical events? The fusion of biopic-fiction is done both adeptly, and for the casual, benighted, social-media American, almost feasibly. This is driven by time-specific (very interesting and effective use of the 60's era) video and audio that enhances the film's presentation. In closing, the fifth (first) installment of the 'X' series is by far the greatest of achievements, superceding anything ever attempted by Ratner, less grave and malicious (more warm and affectionate) than Singer, and much more enjoyable from start to end. Expand
AmmonJun 16, 2011
It was a fantastic portrayal of the beginning of Xavier and Magnito. Unfortunately it had to go and spoil and perfect story with an over the top ending. It almost had me.
JimNukemJun 15, 2011
Set a new standard of comic book movies to aspire too. I never ounce fell asleep during this movie. The plot and characters were superb. The action was solid as well as the acting. X-Men has come back! The music was epic as well. PERFECT!
stpmmathsJun 29, 2011
X-Men: First Class is quite enjoyable in entertaining sense. Good action scenes.

But not that surprising I would say, the movie basically tells what you already know, I suppose. Story involving Erik and Charles aka Magneto and Professor X respectively.

Recommended? Yes if you are finding some entertainment, no if you are those who prefer 'genuine' movies :) And I still don't know why is it called as First Class.
infinitiAug 3, 2011
I have been a fan of X-Men for many many years since I grew up with it! I'd most likely love this movie even if it wasn't good! But it is good! It's amazing!!! Great story, great cast, great effects! The story develops in a way that keeps yuI have been a fan of X-Men for many many years since I grew up with it! I'd most likely love this movie even if it wasn't good! But it is good! It's amazing!!! Great story, great cast, great effects! The story develops in a way that keeps yu interested and the characters are easy to connect with. Xavier and Magneto's relationship is played out brilliantly and really makes yu feel for them when they eventually part ways... Watch this movie if yu haven't already coz its just GREAT! Expand
Potter17Jan 27, 2012
Being able to develop its many characters without interfering with the course of the story, 'X-Men: First Class' is competently acted and possibly the best X-men film yet.
ascoltami86May 27, 2013
I don't like almost all X-men movies. I don't like Wolverine, Victor Creed, Wade Wilson, their weapons, horrible.
I don't like big muscle characters like Hugh Jackman, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson.
But X-men, 2000 was not bad. X-Men: First
But X-men, 2000 was not bad.
X-Men: First Class is great. I love the character Erik Lehnsherr.
jacob4Nov 19, 2015
A great fresh new start on the X-men franchise! This movie got fans excited for the X-men again and made them almost forget about the mess from X-men 3 and X-men Origins: The Wolverine. A great new and lovable cast of young actors andA great fresh new start on the X-men franchise! This movie got fans excited for the X-men again and made them almost forget about the mess from X-men 3 and X-men Origins: The Wolverine. A great new and lovable cast of young actors and actresses bring the X-men to life in a fun new re-imagining. The action is awesome, the comedy is good, the CGI and special effects are amazing, and X-men is back from the dumps! Expand
HISHEhebJul 8, 2014
סרט מאוד יפה, מספר ממש יפה את הסיפורים של אקסבייר ומגניטו. שחקנים מצוינים שעשו את זה אפילו יותר טוב מהקודמים. סרט האקס מן הכי טוב עד שיצא אקס-מן העתיד שהיהסרט מאוד יפה, מספר ממש יפה את הסיפורים של אקסבייר ומגניטו. שחקנים מצוינים שעשו את זה אפילו יותר טוב מהקודמים. סרט האקס מן הכי טוב עד שיצא אקס-מן העתיד שהיה
FullMetalWeskerDec 4, 2012
This movie had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't quite realise it completely. While there are a few pros; McAvoy and Fassbender are great as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and likewise their scenes are the highlight of theThis movie had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't quite realise it completely. While there are a few pros; McAvoy and Fassbender are great as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and likewise their scenes are the highlight of the movie for me. Some of the other characters were also somewhat interesting, such as Beastman, and Mystique, and the special effects during the fight scenes are at the usual standard for X-men films. However, swirled in with all that are: a wafer-thin plot that serves as nothing more than a backdrop for the characters to move around in, a (possibly intended) campy feel throughout large parts of the film, and a few major characters who have nothing to them apart from unique powers (see: Majority of the villains). It's disappointing that so few of the characters were really even touched on, let alone fleshed out, as this seems more than anything a character-focused piece, and I hope that the planned sequel, Days of Future Past, focuses more on fleshing these super-powered characters out, and exploring the different sides to them, rather than leaving them as one-dimensional walking super powers. Another flaw I noticed was the scale. Using an event like the Cuban Missile Crisis might've sounded good on paper, but it caused the film to move through a bit too much too quickly, which may be the cause for the lack of character interaction and depth. It might've been better to use another event that's easier to work with, such as the Cold War in general, and the unease and paranoia that was prevalent throughout. Again hopefully the sequel does this, and allows more breathing space for the characters who aren't named Charles Xavier or Magneto (though even they didn't quite get as much as they could)
Overall though, it's a fairly decent action blockbuster, filled with a few nice action scenes and sprinkled with good character moments throughout and although it isn't quite as interesting as it could have been, it's still worthy of at least a rental to the general movie-goer.
mbagelyJun 5, 2011
I'm still unsure whether I like this or not, I was really hyped for it and it didn't meet my expectations. It was very hit and miss - some scenes were brilliant, yet some were rushed and clumsy.
WinstonoboogieJun 29, 2011
When was the last time that the fifth film in ANY series was, far and away, the best of the lot? And not only that, but a prequel? And not only that, but the SECOND prequel, the first one having been a major disappointment? Can you sayWhen was the last time that the fifth film in ANY series was, far and away, the best of the lot? And not only that, but a prequel? And not only that, but the SECOND prequel, the first one having been a major disappointment? Can you say never? James McAvoy is a fine Professor Xavier and Kevin Bacon a memorable villain, but what makes this one of the best superhero movies of all time is the riveting performance of Michael Fassbender (Inglorious Basterds, Jane Eyre) as Erik Lehnsherr, aka the young villain-to-be Magneto. Fassbender is so commanding and convincing that by the end of the movie you may well be wishing to join him and his fellow mutants in their quest to crush humanity. The special effects are inpressive, the action swift and exciting, the script surprisingly intelligent - but it's Fassbender that will linger in the memory and leave you dying for the next installment. Expand
lifeJun 10, 2011
Best X-men movie. Great writing and dialogue. Amazing special effects and action.There's plenty of drama as well. Go see it! This is really the best x-men movie.
Teh_PwnererJun 28, 2011
This movie was pretty good and the acting is something to be recognised. The movie is really fan-based and it really appeals to people who have actually watched the previous X-men movies and it would of helped to even have read some of theThis movie was pretty good and the acting is something to be recognised. The movie is really fan-based and it really appeals to people who have actually watched the previous X-men movies and it would of helped to even have read some of the original comic books so you know some of the story line that unravels throughout the movie and how everything changes by the end of the movie. If your not a fan of the original movies who just haven't watched them, this movie is still something that is worth being watched. I strongly recommend this to people who like the previous X-men movies and the people who read the comic books, If you don't think its worth buying or you just don't have the money, It's definitely worth renting. Expand
frugal_froggerJun 14, 2011
Although I don't necessarily agree with where the series is heading (no spoilers, just a general comment), I can appreciate the special effects, outstanding music composition, casting, and other things like that which make the film a lot ofAlthough I don't necessarily agree with where the series is heading (no spoilers, just a general comment), I can appreciate the special effects, outstanding music composition, casting, and other things like that which make the film a lot of fun to watch. I just didn't envision the comics being taken away from the artistic nature they had originally had intented -- but maybe that's just me! Expand
KarthXLRJun 3, 2011
While it's story may be told ham-handedly, the characters are fun, the action is thrilling, and it's much better than the last two movies. I have gripes, but I'll get to them later. Saw it at midnight, so I'll finish this up tomorrow.
JacobMar 9, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I enjoyed this film. I will admit that the film drags a bit and is confusing to start off with and that the plot is rushed a bit for the sake of tying it into the other films; but I feel that we still got some good stuff. The redeeming factor of this film is the take on the characters specifically Xavier, Magneto, and Mistique. I enjoyed watching these characters and cared about some of them more so than the original X-Men. Even though this plot feels condencesed I still would like to see another movie with these characters, which it looks like we will be getting sort of with X-Men Days of Future Past, which will hopefully will be good. If you’re a fan of the X-Men movies check this one out because you may like it. Even if you are not a fan of the previous ones I am going to say watch it because it is different from the other ones. It provides an interesting take on characters we know and love and is enjoyable. Again what ruins it is the rushed ending but if you look past that you will enjoy the film. Is this a great film no but it is a good one, which is something that a lot of movies cannot be. Expand
jjnoahjamesJun 6, 2011
Awesome movie. Near perfect for an X-Men movie. It had a bit of humor, an amazing script, and great characters. I could def watch this again. Amazing. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.
canadianrugbyJun 6, 2011
This is my favourite of the X-Men movies. There's a story that you can actually get into, and the characters are cast and acted very well. There isn't much action which is the only reason I can't give it a 10. The effects look real andThis is my favourite of the X-Men movies. There's a story that you can actually get into, and the characters are cast and acted very well. There isn't much action which is the only reason I can't give it a 10. The effects look real and aren't forced, they're only used when the story calls for it. For anyone that enjoys these types of movies but didn't read all the comics this is a must see. The story of how some of the main X-Men characters got to be who they are really drew me in. Expand
Justinavery7074Oct 7, 2011
The characters are where the actual strong suit is, no pun intended. Without any intrigue or care for the characters, it becomes something along the lines of X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The acting is phenomenal; IThe characters are where the actual strong suit is, no pun intended. Without any intrigue or care for the characters, it becomes something along the lines of X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The acting is phenomenal; I have't seen a more realistic and awesome Magneto anywhere else. The scipt unfolds majestically and the acting is again, fanastic. And when it's wrapped with Matthew Vaughan's superb, is not brash sense of directing, it's damn near perfect. Expand
vernJun 19, 2011
X-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies ifX-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies if you haven't yet, and if you're not, it's at least worth renting. Expand
sadsonicfanJun 9, 2011
I thought this film was great. I had a lot of fun, and the characters of magneto and professor X were entertaining to watch. Sure, fans of X-men may be disappointed about the creative liberties taken, but the result is a pretty solid movie.I thought this film was great. I had a lot of fun, and the characters of magneto and professor X were entertaining to watch. Sure, fans of X-men may be disappointed about the creative liberties taken, but the result is a pretty solid movie.

One of the things that didn't appeal to me was Beast. Man, beast just looks so freaking weird...
asylumspadezNov 26, 2011
This film was easily tied for the best Xmen film. First Class is a great prequel with a great cast, The acting is wonderful. The entire film is interesting from start to finish as well.
SabinFrostJan 20, 2012
Honestly, I had a few gripes, but in spite of this, it was a very enjoyable film. Don't take 7 out of ten to be poor score by any means, the film was full of memorable moments and characters, at the conclusion I felt regret that the ride hadHonestly, I had a few gripes, but in spite of this, it was a very enjoyable film. Don't take 7 out of ten to be poor score by any means, the film was full of memorable moments and characters, at the conclusion I felt regret that the ride had come to an end, something that is always a hallmark of a good film. Wonderful acting, and special effects that reached expectation for a film of this caliber were unfortunately let down by a few elements of the plot that felt rather shallow, or tacked on. Without spoilers, by far the weakest element of the plot was the female FBI agent, something that really could have been left without, leaving many cringeworthy moments in the film and tainting what could of otherwise been a predictable, but enjoyable conclusion. A few of the relationships, by far the standout aspect of the film, could definitely have been explored further, and while the limitations of film length were present, if you are like me you'll be begging for more sections of dialogue. As is epidemic of many hollywood films, especially superhero ones of late, this is a great tale, which unfortunately despite strong beginnings and an enticing mid-section falls apart towards the end. Expand
jediboyJun 6, 2011
Its slick. Very 1960's James Bond feel to the entire film. Set against the backdrop of the Cuban missile crisis and an escalating Cold War - we see the emergence of a privileged Charles Xavier, contrasted with a Holocaust-surviving Magneto.Its slick. Very 1960's James Bond feel to the entire film. Set against the backdrop of the Cuban missile crisis and an escalating Cold War - we see the emergence of a privileged Charles Xavier, contrasted with a Holocaust-surviving Magneto. While the other mutants are recruited and their back-stories and characters are fleshed out - you could really care less. This is really all about Magneto seeking vengeance and Charles trying to pacify and humanise him. Think Obi-Wan and Darth Vader.
Kevin Bacon excels in his part as the film's core villain. And there's even a Logan cameo for the fan-boys.
All in all a 7/10.
LesleyJFJun 10, 2011
A delicious fantasy romp with emotional poignancy. McAvoy and Fassbender both do a wonderful job, and have loads of chemistry together, and the supporting cast ain't bad either. The special effects fit in pretty seamlessly, and there areA delicious fantasy romp with emotional poignancy. McAvoy and Fassbender both do a wonderful job, and have loads of chemistry together, and the supporting cast ain't bad either. The special effects fit in pretty seamlessly, and there are several prequel in-jokes that will keep fans of the series chuckling. The Cuban Missile Crisis bit doesn't totally work, but it's sort of incidental anyway. The plot is mostly about the emergence of the X Men, their discovery of each other, the government's discovery of them, and the dangerous things that happen next. And I the parallels between Erik Lehnsherr's experiences with the Nazis and his fears about the present work very well. Expand
makrtik2Jun 14, 2011
This is an entertaining new chapter in an imaginative and interesting series. At times it appears to lien way to hard on stereotypes and cliches , but it still manages to convey the obvious core issues, and struggles, faced by anyone who isThis is an entertaining new chapter in an imaginative and interesting series. At times it appears to lien way to hard on stereotypes and cliches , but it still manages to convey the obvious core issues, and struggles, faced by anyone who is significantly different or, in some important way, more capable than those around them (the X-men vary from versions of Sheldon (from The Big Bang Theory), to versions of Victor Stallone (already on steroids, and trying our super-steroids) to a lap dancing Tinker Bell who throws fire balls... all engaged in a struggle for acceptance and survival, and the eternal question of whether to save 'normal humans' or make them extinct? All while fighting off bad mutants who want to exploit their abilities to eliminate the standard-humans and kill off those mutants who do not join the mutant mob. The bad mutants are giving good mutants a bad name, and destabilizing the already shaky relationship the good mutants have with non-mutant humanity. When all is said and done, it seems a reprise of the old story line, set in an earlier time with hotter younger characters... a good summer movie, if not a great new ground breaking movie. A lot of effort seems to have been given to amping up the seX-factor rather than on serious plot development. A go see it, but don't expect the wow-factor to be too high. Expand
scrieciuJun 14, 2011
The epicness of this superhero movie is just to..... epic. Good acting, good script, good action, it's everything you want in a summer movie, and one of the best in 2011 so far. Also, there was this one scene with Wolverine that was prettyThe epicness of this superhero movie is just to..... epic. Good acting, good script, good action, it's everything you want in a summer movie, and one of the best in 2011 so far. Also, there was this one scene with Wolverine that was pretty hilarious. It was fun to watch the young Charles Xavier having a good time and cruising girls. The story was very intriguing and kept me entertained until the very end. I wasn't really sure what to expect from '' X-Men : First Class ''. It didn't disappointed me. The only thing that bothered me is the way Professor Xavier got paralyse. Other than that, it's a must see ! Expand
JoradJun 12, 2011
I think that this film succeeded in a number of areas. The story was engaging and well thought out. This had to be the only X-Men film where I really felt absorbed and immersed with the story. The great pacing throughout the majority ofI think that this film succeeded in a number of areas. The story was engaging and well thought out. This had to be the only X-Men film where I really felt absorbed and immersed with the story. The great pacing throughout the majority of the movie really helped as well. The characters felt fleshed out and particularly the friendship built between Charles and Erik was an engaging one. There was a good amount of action too, but not too much that it deteriorates aspects of the story. I think they really nailed the balance. Another thing that I thought was very well done was the acting itself. All of them were convincing, but I felt that James McAvoy (who played Xavier) stole the show for me. My only problem with the film is that they could've fleshed out the ending a bit more, considering how many pivotal moments it contained. But in the grand scale of things, this complaint is a small one and I would definitely recommend seeing this great film. Expand
BubblegumImpJun 4, 2011
First Class restores the X-Men film franchise to the lofty heights of the first two films in the series and actually succeeds in surpassing its' predecessors in terms of sophistication.

Of particular note is Fassbender's brilliant turn as a

Of particular note is Fassbender's brilliant turn as a young Magneto. Tortured, angry and very complex... this is the Magneto which has captivated comic readers for decades. Do not miss this movie. Great stuff.
panoramastitchaJul 6, 2011
A very good entry in the X-Men film-universe! Most characters (especially the main ones, of course) were very well portrayed, great acting throughout. The only complaints I have were a few special effects that looked a bit cheap and very fewA very good entry in the X-Men film-universe! Most characters (especially the main ones, of course) were very well portrayed, great acting throughout. The only complaints I have were a few special effects that looked a bit cheap and very few places where it felt like some scenes were dropped to shorten the film. I really hope that this crew gets the chance to make another film with the same actors etc.!! Expand
NKOASNov 17, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the years between Batman films, Marvel truly gets a chance to shine, especially in the time building up towards their unprecedented, all-or-nothing extravaganza The Avengers. So it would come as a huge shock to many that, in a summer with not one but two Avengers-related films (Thor and Captain America), the most thrilling and refined comic book film of the year was the one no one was excited for. Well, folks, we all learned to never judge a film by its trailer once this smartly written, sharply filmed and sleekly acted origin story unfolded on the screen. This was Michael Fassbender Expand
TheQuietGamerOct 13, 2011
It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship,It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship, it portrays them as friends who benefit from each other, and also makes Magneto a much more sympathetic character who you just can't help but feel for, another noteworthy character is Mystique who's story is excellently crafted, and you can see that the writers put a lot of thought into it, and even tied it into historical events, but it's not really memorable, same goes for the action scenes, there just not all that interesting, and the whole movie outside of the fantastic characters just lacks any sort of pop or flare, and it doesn't really tie in well withe the other movies, but if you want to see different sides of your favorite characters, this is the movie for you, and in my opinion the best X-Men movie yet. Expand
xanderveeJun 3, 2011
The number one thing I liked about this movie was how it showed the character's origins, which is good for people who are not familiar with the comics (they are a little different from the comics, however). The special effects lookedThe number one thing I liked about this movie was how it showed the character's origins, which is good for people who are not familiar with the comics (they are a little different from the comics, however). The special effects looked believable. I also loved how the current events of the time were tied in with the story. James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Kevin Bacon were brilliant, as well as the rest of the cast. This movie was definitely worth my time and has earned a place on my shelf for when it comes out on DVD. Expand
TokyochuchuApr 27, 2012
Mathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink yourMathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink your teeth into. A real revelation here is Michael Fassbender, who plays Magnito with a brutal elegance. It makes me want to see a lot more of Magnito in the future. Overall, First Class is an excellent movie that is easily on par with the classic X2. Expand
2GUI2Jul 11, 2011
While I was watching this recent motion-picture all I could think about was that I seem to be enjoying it a bit; that I wasnâ
Libra85Jun 29, 2011
The X-Men franchise is not my favorite. The first movie was really boring but the second was much better. X3 was when i felt they got it right. Origins reminded me of the boredem from the first movie so I had a lot of skeptisism going to seeThe X-Men franchise is not my favorite. The first movie was really boring but the second was much better. X3 was when i felt they got it right. Origins reminded me of the boredem from the first movie so I had a lot of skeptisism going to see this one. After leaving the theatre, I was in awe. This is the best movie I have ever seen. That is saying a lot but this movie is perfect in every way. The story makes sense and simple enough to follow without dumbing it down. There are two things to focus on. One is the state of military tensions between the U.S and Russia. The other is the mutents appearing in a time where people had no idea of their exsistence. These two points are presented with the right balance so that one thing doesn't shadow the other. Of course the main characters here are the mutents and each one of them has a reason and need to be there. It's great to see the young mutents evolve and learn how to control thier gifts also learning more about themselves in the process. Then last is our two greats, Charles and Erik. These two were more than amazing and to see how these two went from strangers to friends then to enemies was just perfect strory telling. I don't know everything about the comics but what was presented to me, was phenomenal. Expand
allystewJun 3, 2011
If like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stoodIf like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stood out in Xmen history is the universal themes which everybody can connect with. The acting is great and McAvoy and Fassbender are standouts. Great action scenes and a good story so for fans (treated to some great cameos) or casual movie goer this is worth a watch. Expand
Commen0136Jul 15, 2011
I will first start my review by saying that I've been a fan of the first two movies (I hated The Last Stand and Wolverine). I didn't expect this film to be any good because the last two X-Men movies were really bad. I was wrong. First ClassI will first start my review by saying that I've been a fan of the first two movies (I hated The Last Stand and Wolverine). I didn't expect this film to be any good because the last two X-Men movies were really bad. I was wrong. First Class is a great movie. The story does good job of intersecting itself with actual history. The acting of Fassbender and McAvoy and the rest of the cast are excellent. References to the previous films were funny and likable. First Class is not a perfect movie though. Beast looked silly and cartoonish, there were awkward dialogue and some scenes did not just hit. These things did ruin the movie for me. X-Men first class is a good movie and it opened the series again. Expand
manwe7Jun 13, 2011
Wow was this movie really good. I like all the X-Men movies and I would rate them as such, 1. X-2
2. X-Men First Class
3. Wolverine 4. X-Men 5. X-Men the Last Stand I still have not figured out why the critic hated Wolverine as I loved it.
2. X-Men First Class
3. Wolverine
4. X-Men
5. X-Men the Last Stand
I still have not figured out why the critic hated Wolverine as I loved it. But critic are a bunch of **** **** anyway so who cares. The movie was action packed. I thought Kevin Bacon was good as well as the 2 main stars. Who cared if January Jones couldn't act, she looked really hot and only a **** would not like her. The movie is about the cold war and how the x-men started and I can't wait to see the next one. To me this movie was as good as Iron Man and damn better than Thor. It was worth the 8.50 that I spent on it.
MoviebuffreviewJun 19, 2011
X-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life intoX-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life into the franchise and going back to the beginning helps to reboot the franchise, without detaching from the original universe that the other movies took place in. This is a must see of the summer, and the best X-Men of them all. Expand
thefirstknight1Sep 21, 2011
Good movie!! Wasnt a xmen fan but this is the fist xmen movie I have purchased. I would recommend to my friend and family to watch this movie as it is a fun family experience.
asthobaskoroJul 26, 2011
Strong script, touching performance, good direction, cool music and intense action. X-Men: First Class is the perfect summer trip and one of great movies this year. Full review: http://bit.ly/qtDmH2
papajon555Aug 12, 2011
I honestly went to this movie just because its a Marvel film.But this movie was outstanding!!!The characters,story and everything else is just top-notch!Magneto and Professor X steal the show...they play there characters so well! If i had toI honestly went to this movie just because its a Marvel film.But this movie was outstanding!!!The characters,story and everything else is just top-notch!Magneto and Professor X steal the show...they play there characters so well! If i had to rate this movie on a Top 10 2011 Movie list,it would be at least top 3.Maybe even number 1! Overall this movie is a must see! I have only heard 1 other movie that might be as good or better then this movie,and that is Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Expand
DeleranJun 8, 2011
Decent, but could have been better. Most of the characters exist either to do something cool in a fight or have something cool done to them, and I was especially disappointed with the shallow characterization of Charles. He was essentiallyDecent, but could have been better. Most of the characters exist either to do something cool in a fight or have something cool done to them, and I was especially disappointed with the shallow characterization of Charles. He was essentially the protagonist but his motivations are murky at best. That said, it was certainly entertaining, and Magneto (as usual) enjoys the best role and performance. In my opinion probably the second best X-Men movie after X-2. Expand
wordy_actionsJun 9, 2011
After X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: First Class is a fantastic return to what made the series great. Matthew Vaughn direction is always competent and occasionally brilliant. He handles the many different characters andAfter X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: First Class is a fantastic return to what made the series great. Matthew Vaughn direction is always competent and occasionally brilliant. He handles the many different characters and locations well during the first half, and in the second half he weaves it all together in an amazing action sequence that eclipses anything else found in the other X-Men movies. The special effects are great for the most part, as is the acting. Of note are the two leads who carry the majority of the pathos of the film with them. The supporting cast is a little uneven which prevents me from giving the film a higher rating. Kevin Bacon though is great as the villain, being memorable but subtle and not overshadowing the X-Men, who should be and are the main focus of the movie. The ending perfectly sets the stage for the sequel, and I can't wait. I highly recommend the movie. Expand
BingoTrousers14Jun 25, 2011
I'm a big fan of the X-men comics and a big Marvel fan in general. This movie was done really well with some awesome leads and some sub-par secondary characters.
ATsushiMay 30, 2016
Emotionally strong, great characters embodied in promising new actors and a lot of good action scenes, the X-Men franchise returns reinvigorated for new stories.
ZacharyMatsonJun 8, 2011
After Thor I wasn't too sure how Marvel could make a come back, but Gosh darn it, they made one hell of a come back! X-Men: First Class is the perfect comic book movie, I loved every frame of this film. Matthew Vaughn has created yet anotherAfter Thor I wasn't too sure how Marvel could make a come back, but Gosh darn it, they made one hell of a come back! X-Men: First Class is the perfect comic book movie, I loved every frame of this film. Matthew Vaughn has created yet another instant classic for me! I didn't expect to be as blown away by Kevin Bacon's performance as I was and James McAvoy was absolutely amazing as Professor Xavier! Expand
MovieGuyBrianJun 3, 2011
Searching for a movie to see this weekend - then 'X' marks the spot because the recently lumbering X-MEN franchise finally moves again with speed and grace. It'll bob, jab and, ultimately, knock you out with its intelligent and wittySearching for a movie to see this weekend - then 'X' marks the spot because the recently lumbering X-MEN franchise finally moves again with speed and grace. It'll bob, jab and, ultimately, knock you out with its intelligent and witty writing, its engagingly compelling characters and its toned-down, destructive big budget action. It doesn't rely on spectacle - it's mainly about characters, relationships and story - and that's what truly makes this early James Bondian-like, retro prequel a FIRST CLASS fifth installment. Expand
BD4shrtJun 10, 2011
A definite step in the right direction for this franchise. The X-Men trilogy had a good run and gave us a really interesting look at the X-Men world. Now, this new start to the franchise, is fresh and well written. With great characters and aA definite step in the right direction for this franchise. The X-Men trilogy had a good run and gave us a really interesting look at the X-Men world. Now, this new start to the franchise, is fresh and well written. With great characters and a promising future for the next few films. Expand
zembowerboyJun 8, 2011
First Class, indeed. It might be my favorite X. The performances are wonderful, especially the sexy Michael Fassbender. It moves fast but stays focused, brilliant visuals, and exciting-coherent-action sequences and special effects. Great stuff!
kawaii-spideyJun 16, 2011
X-men - a unique franchise, and the fifth film series that further confirmation. Usually, the movie series before the age of the elderly, steaming, hits the samopovtory or creators are fundamentally changing the concept of the franchise.X-men - a unique franchise, and the fifth film series that further confirmation. Usually, the movie series before the age of the elderly, steaming, hits the samopovtory or creators are fundamentally changing the concept of the franchise. Tired out at the end of the third part of Mutants in a deadlock, the creators of making the only right decision - a spin-Offa. Prehistory of the most charismatic and memorable characters trilogy. And if you need to move past the history of Wolverine looks doubtful (in the original trilogy rather detailed account of the formation of Logan and in isolation from the team, he has become less interesting character), the reasons for the confrontation of Professor Xavier and Magneto in the "first class" at least raises curiosity . In addition, a cursory glance at the synopsis of the paintings fueled interest in the movie, judge for yourself: 1. The choice of producers as a director Matthew Vaughn, at the time refused to take "final battle" because of uncertainty in the forces, newly appointed to the shooting new film in the series. And the reason is "Kick-Ass," with its innovative approach to superheroes and all komiksnoy topic. And here it is felt with a vengeance. Not a single superfluous scene, no unnecessary characters, action shot, so that the screen does not come off, even conversational scenes are kept in suspense, for that blockbuster with 160 million budget no mean achievement. 2. Jane Goldman script, Ashley Miller, Zack Stents ... plot and the characters nor the means do not go in contradiction with the previous series, and images created by the actors in previous films. The plot about finding Eric Lensherrom Nazi war criminals is beyond praise - in the scenes where Magneto faces the demons of the past concentration camp, with the hero fist shrink from the tension. The history of confrontation between society and the community of mutants who are torn between the Beast and Mystique revealed far more interesting than the third series of the franchise. 3. Cuban Missile Crisis era. The very idea of â Expand
kingtzJun 11, 2011
A solid 8 from me. The movie was very entertaining and some of the acting (McAvoy as Xavier and Fassbender as Magneto) was excellent. Some obvious weakness in plot and logic here and there, but overall pretty decent for a movie aimed at theA solid 8 from me. The movie was very entertaining and some of the acting (McAvoy as Xavier and Fassbender as Magneto) was excellent. Some obvious weakness in plot and logic here and there, but overall pretty decent for a movie aimed at the masses and teenagers. This is not a movie I'd ever buy for my blu-ray collection, but it was a fun 2 hours, nonetheless. Oh yeah, all the actresses in the movie were f'n hot. Expand
CooperjctJun 10, 2011
This is by far the best X-Men movie. The acting was good and so was the effects. The story had some slow points and didn't make sense at some points, but all in all it was an enjoyable movie for the most part. My favorite thing about theThis is by far the best X-Men movie. The acting was good and so was the effects. The story had some slow points and didn't make sense at some points, but all in all it was an enjoyable movie for the most part. My favorite thing about the movie was the soundtrack. Expand
lionalioOct 7, 2011
Well, it is not a perfect movie but not bad after all. Very impressive effects, story and even the characters. We don't watch the boring struggle between the good and the bad but we can see the struggles in each character's mind themselves.Well, it is not a perfect movie but not bad after all. Very impressive effects, story and even the characters. We don't watch the boring struggle between the good and the bad but we can see the struggles in each character's mind themselves. This is the movies that the casts perform very well. Expand
BaguySep 7, 2011
Great movie! The story was simple, amost "ready", but they made good use of it, very good timing on the scenes, nothing is boring or out of place. The casting was brilliant, the characters were very charismatic and interesting; James McAvoyGreat movie! The story was simple, amost "ready", but they made good use of it, very good timing on the scenes, nothing is boring or out of place. The casting was brilliant, the characters were very charismatic and interesting; James McAvoy completely surprised me, he was a very funny but still serious Professor X. Magneto was just awesome, it's hard to hate him at the end of the movie. The attention to details just made it all worth it for the fans, I hope to see a sequel soon. Expand
DrMovieJun 23, 2011
Wow is all I have to say. They have so many x-men movies how can they still make a great movie. From start to finish I on the edge of my seat. They explain and showed so much with in the 2 hours it was almost insane. The writes hit it on theWow is all I have to say. They have so many x-men movies how can they still make a great movie. From start to finish I on the edge of my seat. They explain and showed so much with in the 2 hours it was almost insane. The writes hit it on the head. So much action, funny at points, and also it ties it all together for the x-men fans that just enjoy the movies. Fassbender and McAvoy nailed it. Overall the movie is a must see if you seen the other ones, that is why I gave it a 9, because it would be hard to understand without the knowledge of the other ones. I just hope they keep blowing my mind if they make another one. Expand
DudasDrakaanJun 19, 2011
I was expecting a very poor-quality movie when I went to see X-Men: First Class, and I was not only surprised but most impressed with the quality of the storyline, acting, and characterization of this film. Of all three of these things, thisI was expecting a very poor-quality movie when I went to see X-Men: First Class, and I was not only surprised but most impressed with the quality of the storyline, acting, and characterization of this film. Of all three of these things, this film accelerates beyond the other films, especially when it comes to the latter.

Characterization comes off deeper and is probably more realistic than any of the other movies, especially with the character of Magneto (primarily going by his real name, "Eric," in the film), who I believe any audience will find to be a much more sympathetic than the inexplicable hate-filled bad-guy that he is portrayed as in previous films. In short then, I felt that that the characters on screen were actually people and I was actually able to identify with them (or to identify AGAINST them) and so could actually feel an emotional pull as Magneto pulled and ripped things apart with his powers.

As for plot outside of character, you will not see much of a difference from other superhero/ comic book movies. The "X-Men" (which for the purposes of this movie is a liberal use of the term) must go out and save the world from single bad guy with SUPER-super powers and his group of goons with other still-intimidating but not quite so powerful powers. In this, it is not surprising, but rather playing to a stereotype and so could be said to be one of its only drawbacks. However, this drawback is ALMOST alleviated by his excellent historical context in the turbulent 1960s. (Prepare for sexy Russian accents.)

As for the construction of the film, I found most people could not tell the difference between CGI most of the time and real footage (speaking to the talents of the art of this film) and the acting itself is better than could be normally expected from a caste that is generally unknown. As stated before, the actor that plays Magneto - though for the life of me I cannot now remember his name - may actually be a better Magneto than Ian McKellan. No higher honor I think I need to bestow.... Yet you may find the soon-to-be "Professor X" to be a little disappointing. In short, I would describe him as much more of a Frodo and much less of the Gandalf that he needs to be. To not dwell further into it, I would say only that the small parts do there job well and the large parts do not disappoint, but you will probably find yourself wanting more scenes of Magneto's character and less of the atypical "goody-goody-two-shoes."

I give this film a 9, though it might be slightly over that number in my book. Primarily it is the general predictible plot that brings the score down, with a few uncomfortably corny or merely undeservedly sympathetic scenes close to the beginning of the film that seem just a little bit too easy on the "good" guys.

I would therefore recommend you to see it in theatres if you are simply looking for a decent-quality sci-fi film to see. Fans should not be disappointed and newcomers should also not be turned away, but don't expect anything ground breaking going on.
drlowdonOct 27, 2014
Lead by excellent performances from James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender, First Class, does a good job of crafting the origins of the X-Men seen in previous movies. Admittedly it doesn’t do anything particularly different to many of the otherLead by excellent performances from James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender, First Class, does a good job of crafting the origins of the X-Men seen in previous movies. Admittedly it doesn’t do anything particularly different to many of the other Marvel movies, and the plot arguably jumps around a little too much, but fans of the superhero genre won’t be disappointed by what they see here. Expand