7.8

1. Aug 24, 2014
    I was fully prepared to hate this movie, no denying that. I can't say I'm a die hard fan, but I used to read all the X-Men comics that were published in my home country, Finland, and although that isn't all that's been published in USA, I had a pretty solid idea about what was supposed to happen, and who would be in a movie like this.

Either my memory is getting rusty in all the right
    places, or mixing up people, background, ages and timelines didn't really do much damage to this movie - because it rocked!

A bit uneven in pace (having a very calm training-the-kids moment in the middle which kind of halts the action that's been happening so far). I did, however, fully appreciate the fact that they used the same clip in the beginning as they did in the first X-Men film back in 2000.

The cast was... well, it was either good or rather insignificant. The choice of James McAvoy as Charles Xavier was a little odd, but he grew on you. Michael Fassbender was pretty good as future Magneto. Kevin Bacon totally rocked as Sebastian Shaw, and under all that make-up, Jason Flemyng as Azazel was probably the most impressive one of them all to watch.

Charles and Eric took center stage, with Shaw, and everyone else shrank back, being less and less important. Sure, they did their part, but it seemed they just sort of... hung back and tried to create little issues of their own (which were many and meaningful, considering the overall themes, but that still wasn't enough to make them shine).

The action was good, the special effects were awesome, and the emotional depth was just right. Small details like names and faces *cough*Wolverine*cough* - and Magneto's helmet - were thrown around, which was awesome.

So, as much as I prepared to hate this film, I have to admit I shall be watching it again, and even hope they'll continue with this version of the X-Men universe, because they are off to a rather good start.
  2. Aug 16, 2014
    This movie is not considered the greatest X-Men movie, but I think it is. It's really really good at combining the two genres. It's interesting how a mixture of Cold War historical fiction and comic book action can be so compelling. It gives incredible depth to Charles, Eric, and Raven (Mystique) and makes me like the earlier movies better. The effects were great, the villain was great, and for an origin story, the plot was great! I think it's better that the origin story came after the original trilogy because we already care a lot about Charles and Eric, and the Beast and Mystique haven't been explained a lot in the original trilogy. We want to know more about them, and this explains it to us. The addition of Emma Frost also adds to the story. I can't get enough of this movie, and it is deserving of a score of 8. It's very close to a 9. Expand
  3. Aug 15, 2014
    Really good film good action good story and good acting a very good x men movie.

my ratting 7.9/10 8/10 for action/special effects 7.9 for story 7.8/10 for acting 7.9 for characters/character development
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    All the xmen have been poorly handled in my opinion. They have the worst casts, they bring in mutants that were completely irrelevant in the comic books. They seem like they are made by committees of people who don't really read the comics. I hate every single one of them. This one was probably the one I hated the least though and is somewhat entertaining in places.
  5. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט מאוד יפה, מספר ממש יפה את הסיפורים של אקסבייר ומגניטו. שחקנים מצוינים שעשו את זה אפילו יותר טוב מהקודמים. סרט האקס מן הכי טוב עד שיצא אקס-מן העתיד שהיה
  6. Jun 7, 2014
    This is a very good super-hero movie...

The writing is good, the cast is talented, the action scenes are very well shoot, the directing is strong, etc... it's seems obvious that he knows the characters and the universe it shows that he knew exactly what to have his actors do and the actors knew what the characters needed to do. I can tell the director is knows very well the X-Men
    universe.

This movie has a lot of good elements about it, but I can't help but feel that the ending is abrupt, like they needed to end the movie intermediately and they just rushed the end. Maybe this is because I am not a big X-Men fan, but I still recommend this movie a lot, it's just a good super-hero movie.
  7. May 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not like this movie at all. I don't want to see a movie about the origins of the X-Men that only has 1 of the original 5 X-Men (Beast) in it. There was no Cyclops, no Jean, no Angel, no Iceman and no way this movie about the origins of the X-Men could be any good. This movie is highly overrated and it's funny how so many people say such good things about this movie but it was the second worst box office opening in the franchise. There is only one real X-Men in this movie (Beast), with a whole lot of C-List X -Men in this movie and a 30 second Wolverine cameo. If the movie was so good how come it performed so poorly during it's opening weekend. If you call yourself a true X-Men fan you might not want to see this movie, it is utterly horrible. Expand
  8. May 23, 2014
    Probably one of the best X-Men movies.Period. Matthew Vaughn made the characters a lot more compelling than the other movies in the franchise. Fine Performances by the cast
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    The best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense action sequences, you simply have a great movie.
  10. Mar 4, 2014
    Apart from the flat supporting characters and a few doses of overly cheesy dialogue, this film is at the top end of superhero movies. A script which makes you toss and turn sides throughout the film is commendable and some truly great acting from McAvoy and Fassbender. Easily the best X-Men film and recommendable to all.
  11. Dec 22, 2013
    X-Men: The First Class is far from being a perfect movie, or even a great one. This movie starts poorly with terrible acting (except the actors who portray adult Xavier and Magento), and a poor script that makes it feel like a teenage movie for Nickalodean. The special effects are pretty bad too. Everything looks fake, especially Beast. Fortunately the movie does take a turn for the better about halfway into the movie when one of the characters (Darwin) gets killed, then the movie starts to become what it should have been from the start. Although they say it's not how you start but how you finish, this time; how you start does matter. Expand
  12. Dec 16, 2013
    Surprising movie, I thought it would be worst. It gives a fresh start to the X-men zaga. The majority of the performances were great and created an interesting, but sometimes unclear movie.
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    I think the remake of the xmen is better than the original The cast is great ,the plot is thrilling and the visuals are astonishing It's a really good movie that I think everyone should watch
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    A breath of fresh air to the X-Men series and the strengths in character development are great. My only problem with this film is the lack of a real punch as the end drags a bit.
  15. Nov 11, 2013
    Classic & Dramatic Entertainer Will Always Lead To The Ranks Of First Class !!
    **X-Men First Class**

* This movie is by far a Classic entertainer with Dramatic screenplay and visuals which dazzles you in excitement Brilliant Screen Play & Characters performance are the most charming features. This movie stands for the name itself First Class This movie had a positive features in
    which the characters were well developed and their interaction during the screen play was excellent the director needs to get credit for this brilliant performance in both direction and screenplay This movie got some of the most talented actors and their performance was fantastic as they were very much suited for there roles in this film .The interaction between these actors are the most charming features to this film Forgot to mention about another positive thing in this film that is Music!the soundtracks and the back ground effects were fantastic it shines as one of the most brilliant features in this film The action sequence and visual effects are beautiful you cannot see any errors since its done perfectly Overall this movie is fantastic and worth your time its certainly not dull or boring its Exciting as well as Charming or you can simply say its a First Class Expand
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    after a bad movie(origins wolverine)i thought the x-men franchise would decline,i wasn´t expecting anything good but this movie is absolutely great with a good restart.
  17. Sep 15, 2013
    An exceptional prequel to the original X-Men films, First Class delivers with large amounts of vitality, a cast that pulls off their performance immaculately, and a script that handles its source material with a meticulous hand.
  18. Aug 28, 2013
    Now this is where the X-Men Franchise begins to redeems itself...

After "The Last Stand" and "Origins" had disappointed me, I was so happy as well as confused to hear about the beginning of A new X-Men trilogy, but then upon hearing it was going to be based on one of my favourite All-Time Mini-series "First Class", hype necessarily followed.

Also considering the abundance of
    Super-Hero movies coming out this year, X-Men was the only one I was really looking forward too.

I was not disappointed.

Though people seemed pissed off due to the fact that a majority of recognizable characters were missing from this film, i was really happy with that because this film features all these virtually unknown characters who are just brilliant and played by superb actors.

The only problem I had with it was that it did not follow the "First Class" comic storyline but 10 minutes in I DID NOT CARE because the 60's style they've gone for here is the equivilent of a James Bond movie, the friendship and differences between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as Xavier & Magneto is so engaging and tensious to watch, while Kevin Bacon was an astounding villian and January Jones just screamed "Fembot".

The Story worked well around all the characters and themes X-men were made for, fear of mutants (Which was originally a shot a communism) and an INGENIOUS idea of "Mutant Warfare" during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Final Verdict: Though we still gotta get through "Green Lantern" and "Captain America" X-Men is literally (And i know this is cheesy) First Class. 8.5
  19. Aug 24, 2013
    [6.9] It definitely exceeds expectations, but it doesn't go above and beyond. Maybe above, but definitely not beyond. By X-Men standards, this is a great movie, but for me, it does what every other X-Men movie does: it tries to explain itself too much (and at this point, X-Men doesn't need much explaining). It does this to a lesser extent, and the characters almost make up for it, but when I watch this movie I'm all too aware that the X-Men are trying to teach me about the X-Men. That's what the internet is for. Hell, that's what comic books are for. Expand
  20. Aug 1, 2013
    Don't judge the book by it's cover.
    Same with this movie.
    Great one if you want to know how it all started or if you just want a good movie to your saturday snacks.
  21. Jul 28, 2013
    X-Men: First Class succeeds by having actual storyline aside neat special effects and flashy action scenes. The characters have more depth than average movie superheroes and there are successful tie-ins with actual historical events. This prequel is positive surprise that even non-fan of Marvel movies can enjoy.
  22. Jul 23, 2013
    Although the characters were interresting and the refferences were enjoyable, the story was weak and predictable, making the movie a stretched boring mess.
  23. Jun 12, 2013
    Definitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. The CIA agent laying her burden on Xavier was very convenient, and there was no need for the romance angle. Mystique and Beast should have been explored more. In the absence of Wolverine, the more physical mutants seemed to be clearly lacking. But the downward spiral is really reversed by the focus on Magneto and Professor X, which was the strongest point about the film. Expand
  24. Jun 10, 2013
    X-men first class is the best x-men movie ever made. Deal with it. It has great action and story. The effects are impressive and it's the best one. Matthew Vughn did an excellent work after kick-ass
  25. Jun 2, 2013
    Personally my favorite X-Men movie mainly because unlike most of the other X-Men movies this film has strong character development especially with Xavier and Magneto.
  26. May 27, 2013
    I don't like almost all X-men movies. I don't like Wolverine, Victor Creed, Wade Wilson, their weapons, horrible.
    I don't like big muscle characters like Hugh Jackman, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson.
    But X-men, 2000 was not bad.
    X-Men: First Class is great. I love the character Erik Lehnsherr.
  27. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. X-Men: First Class is a reboot to the franchise. Yes, it is a reboot, but it is not a superhero movie to be trifled with. Strength of this movie is very much in evidence and true; it could be noticed by its ability to give you so much power. I want to say more- my favourite superhero movie of the year is robust, dark and vicious. Starring an acclaimed actor James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and alongside him is Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr and directed by Matthew Vaughn, a firm and handsome motion picture, let's have a ferocious battle alright!!?

I have this notion that could proudly tell the world that what makes X- Men FS a worthy motion picture is its terrific screenplay. In my opinion, the collaboration of the four writers (Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn) is praise-worthy and they got the work done right! The dialogues or lines in the film are so insightful and meaningful and they strike upon my judgment. To add some sugar in the mentioned praise, the script never failed to make viewers smile with its charming and humorless lines.

James McAvoy is undeniably appealing in the movie. His presence indirectly brought me to the top level of uneasiness, asking me if that kind of charm could easily be matched. His performance is one of the best performances in the movie and he led the character brightly. Another genius illuminator of the movie is Michael Fassbender but there's extra gravity strength surrounded him which somewhat pull the movie down. To me, his character seemed like insignificant in the first half of the movie and this so obvious when he started working with Charles Xavier but let's cover that up with a bright blanket, the character Erik made a powerful and important appearance during the few final acts of the movie that turned the movie around. To wrap it up, Fassbender delivered an acting performance that is being filled with charisma. I traded my praise for Kevin Bacon's too. He is so relaxed and cunning-looking while driving the character which made Sebastian Shaw a successful smart villain. The performances by the supporting casts have a mixed taste. Two great examples would be Jennifer Lawrence's correct interpretation and Zoë Kravitz's boring delivery for the character.

The visual effects are neither jaw-dropping nor special, it is just acceptable and it never goes beyond that. Spectacular? Nope. I'm so reluctant to mention this, but pace of the film during the first half of the movie is incorrect-moves quite too quickly and left some of the characters undeveloped. The editing wouldn't want to be touched that much but the beauty of that filmmaking element is very much secured during the 'training' scene. That mentioned scene is just perfectly executed.

X-Men: First Class is not one of the best films of the year but, its excellent screenplay and sparkling performances gave a rise to the fact that this film is not one of the worst films of the year.

[3.5/5]

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    Not too bad, but the costume design was much too modern for the early 1960's. The plot was in some scenes uninteresting, but makes up for it in the strong special effects.
  29. Mar 17, 2013
    While there were definitely promising qualities and scenes, most of the movie was never engrossing to watch. This might sound like an oxymoron, but the best way to describe the film would to call it an interesting bore.
  30. Mar 17, 2013
    Even though X-Men: First Class was well executed, had a solid production, above average acting, and a decent story, I couldn't help to notice that I have never sat through a longer 2 hour film in my life.
  31. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I enjoyed this film. I will admit that the film drags a bit and is confusing to start off with and that the plot is rushed a bit for the sake of tying it into the other films; but I feel that we still got some good stuff. The redeeming factor of this film is the take on the characters specifically Xavier, Magneto, and Mistique. I enjoyed watching these characters and cared about some of them more so than the original X-Men. Even though this plot feels condencesed I still would like to see another movie with these characters, which it looks like we will be getting sort of with X-Men Days of Future Past, which will hopefully will be good. If you’re a fan of the X-Men movies check this one out because you may like it. Even if you are not a fan of the previous ones I am going to say watch it because it is different from the other ones. It provides an interesting take on characters we know and love and is enjoyable. Again what ruins it is the rushed ending but if you look past that you will enjoy the film. Is this a great film no but it is a good one, which is something that a lot of movies cannot be. Expand
  32. Feb 22, 2013
    I never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questions for the fans of the movie, who don't follow the comics, and it is one blockbuster film that more than lives up to its hype. From the special effects to the make-up and finally to the actors this film is amazing. Movies like this never win awards, but you will be hard pressed to find better performances than those of James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender. The whole cast was terrific, the story was fantastic, and the special effects were truly out of this world. This is a great film and I'm craving more. I can't wait to see what connections the next forty years bring between first class and the trilogy. When it's all said and done, I hope I can watch all these films and truly understand the whole story. Expand
  33. Feb 22, 2013
    First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from military stand-off to full blown war. As usual with X-Men, too many characters are included purely for bodies in the fight scenes. Step forward Angel, Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Azazel and Riptide. Avengers leads the way in accommodating a group of major superheroes without shoehorning wafer-thin characters for cannon fodder. Special mentions for January Jones, who gives the flattest, monotone performance I can remember as the Schmidt's female sidekick, Emma Frost and Kevin Bacon, for performing scenes in German and Russian! On to the positives......Michael Fassbender. It is not often you associate a superhero movie with powerhouse performances, but Fassbender's intense, brooding portrayal of Erik, hinting at the flaws that ultimately come to the surface as Magneto, is just that, and is a joy to watch. Only a few leagues below (and given Fassbender's performance this is still high praise) is James McAvoy's performance as Charles Xavier.

All things said and done, First Class is an enjoyable action film, benefiting from some excellent actors and the curiosity attached to seeing younger versions of familiar characters.
  34. Feb 9, 2013
    This was a surprisingly excellent film, when you hear the term 'reboot' or 'prequel', there isnt much of a rapturous applause, but First Class felt like wondrous step in the right direction.
    Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik Lensherr later known as Magneto, who witnesses the death of his mother after Dr Klaus Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is aware of Lensherr's
    mutant capabilities.
    A long way away from Lensherr's woes in a concentration camp, we see a child Charles Xavier, later Professor X getting acquainted with a young Raven Darkholme, who you may no better as the blue shape-shifter Mistique.
    Fast-forward to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, we see Xavier (James McAvoy) far from how we know him, a womanising Oxford graduate who is smooth-talking and charming, tagging along behind him is Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).
    Meanwhile, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is killing his way through those who tortured him in the past, running into his soon-to-be friend Xavier.
    Thus sets off quite a retro yet whirlwind of entertainment with an ensemble cast including Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, January Jones and uncredited yet brilliantly simple and hilarious cameo from a familiar mutant.
    What was most interesting about First Class was its uniqueness from it trilogy counterpart, it didn't feel similar to them at all, and this was good, its creating its own path, and what an enjoyable path it was. Groundbreaking special effects, particularly a scene of Magneto lifting a submarine out of the water with his manipulation ability of metal.
    Personally, it was the excellently scripted film that was of particular enjoyment, the large ensemble cast feels fresh, and the film isnt afraid to take risks, big egos, big music and large set pieces have set up what could be a very successful and enjoyable chapter in the large world of X-Men.
    The performances of the two leads in McAvoy and Fassbender are fantastically unique, filling big shoes from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, they superbly bring their own youth and charisma to the roles, while maintaining the strained relationship that these two mutant heavyweights share.
    Absolutely brilliant and well-thought prequel to a successful franchise, let it continue.
  35. Feb 7, 2013
    Definitely the best X-men film with fantastic action and amazing characters. All the actors in this movie nail their parts and the script wasn't as cheesy as the previous films and the side-characters were more likable. And finally the cameo by Hugh Jackman as wolverine in this movie is amazing, It had me laughing for the rest of the movie.
  36. Feb 6, 2013
    Finally, an X-Men movie that is as good, if not better than, the first two. An amazing success after those other two pieces of crap of which I dare not speak their names! Overall, AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
  37. Jan 29, 2013
    X-Men: First Class is the first movie in the X-Men timeline. It is set during the Cold War and does a brilliant job of describing the issues of pride and prejudice. Plot: Eric (Micheal Fassbender) is a Jewish boy who watches his mother get abducted during the Holocaust. His anger leads him to use his mutation to control metal. After Shaw (Kevin Bacon) kills his mother, he vows to avenge her. At the same time, Charles (James Mcavoy) who has a mutation that allows him to manipulate the minds of others, meets Raven (Jenifer Lawerence) who has the ability to shape shift and is insecure about her looks. As Shaw and his group of mutants attempt to start WW3 so that nukes will mutate the world, Charles and Eric meet up and recruit other mutants who they train in an attempt to save the world from another world war. My opinion: A very well done masterpiece that shows the true origins of the X-Men. This movie address current problems such as the unbalance of warfare, and insecurities we feel and how we react to those who make us feel such. I reccommend this to anybody who wants to get interested in the X-Men, anyone who has seen the X-Men trilogy, and to those who are interested in conspiracy surrounding the Cold War. Expand
  38. Jan 4, 2013
    As a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR too many liberties and makes very little sense. Kevin Bacon did a good job with Sebastian Shaw's character and portrays him well, but just did not represent (visually) him that well (not to mention his horrific German. His pronunciation was extremely cringe worthy to anyone who speaks German.) McAvoy & Fassbender are fantastic in their roles and do an almost perfect job of showing Magneto & Xavier in their early days. Everyone else ....... can just be forgotten. I thought this movie is made purely for entertainment and it seems to me that very little thought went into its writing, at least in terms of being true to its source material. While I appreciate what they were trying to do, they should have rather sold it as a reboot rather than a prequel to the other movies. Overall: A huge disappointment to fans of the original comics, but very good for everyone else. (At least it was better than Last Stand.) Expand
  39. Dec 29, 2012
    A better plot and more entertaining than the Wolverine origins movie, thankfully way better than the piece of crap movie called X3. Finally, one of similar quality to X-Men: Origins and X2. It was interesting to see the origins of Xavier and Magneto (I've never read the comics personally so the story was new to me). It had action, great special effects, great character, decent acting and a decent plot, everything I expect from a superhero movie. 10/10 Expand
  40. Dec 8, 2012
    It is certainly flawed and all over the place, but McAvoy and Fassbender are superb. They are great, both together and individually as Xavier and Magneto, respectively.
  41. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent, I loved it. I was expecting something more like Wolverine, but this was a fantastic movie. Not only a brilliant addition to the X-Men series, but it's the best of the series!

The reason I say that this is the best of the series is because it delivers in more areas than the previous films did...First Class is very deep. For once I felt for the characters, I actually cared about what happened to them and how they interacted with each other. Credit must go to the cast because their performances contributed to this, especially James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. McAvoy gives a great performance as Professor X, and Fassbender is incredible as Magneto. (You will see Erik/Magneto in a whole new light). My favorite scene in the entire film is actually not an action scene, but the highly emotional diologue between McAvoy and Fassbender with moving the satelitte...also the end of the final action scene. Those two scenes alone add SO much to the film and trilogy. I can't explain it all, but this is truly a great addition to the series.

And...of course the action was awesome! The visuals were excellent and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I love action movie blockbusters and First Class delivered.

I cannot recommend this film enough! It's my favorite of the year so far. Action + Drama = X-Men First Class = Great Film!
  42. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't quite realise it completely. While there are a few pros; McAvoy and Fassbender are great as Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, and likewise their scenes are the highlight of the movie for me. Some of the other characters were also somewhat interesting, such as Beastman, and Mystique, and the special effects during the fight scenes are at the usual standard for X-men films. However, swirled in with all that are: a wafer-thin plot that serves as nothing more than a backdrop for the characters to move around in, a (possibly intended) campy feel throughout large parts of the film, and a few major characters who have nothing to them apart from unique powers (see: Majority of the villains). It's disappointing that so few of the characters were really even touched on, let alone fleshed out, as this seems more than anything a character-focused piece, and I hope that the planned sequel, Days of Future Past, focuses more on fleshing these super-powered characters out, and exploring the different sides to them, rather than leaving them as one-dimensional walking super powers. Another flaw I noticed was the scale. Using an event like the Cuban Missile Crisis might've sounded good on paper, but it caused the film to move through a bit too much too quickly, which may be the cause for the lack of character interaction and depth. It might've been better to use another event that's easier to work with, such as the Cold War in general, and the unease and paranoia that was prevalent throughout. Again hopefully the sequel does this, and allows more breathing space for the characters who aren't named Charles Xavier or Magneto (though even they didn't quite get as much as they could)
    Overall though, it's a fairly decent action blockbuster, filled with a few nice action scenes and sprinkled with good character moments throughout and although it isn't quite as interesting as it could have been, it's still worthy of at least a rental to the general movie-goer.
  43. Nov 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the years between Batman films, Marvel truly gets a chance to shine, especially in the time building up towards their unprecedented, all-or-nothing extravaganza The Avengers. So it would come as a huge shock to many that, in a summer with not one but two Avengers-related films (Thor and Captain America), the most thrilling and refined comic book film of the year was the one no one was excited for. Well, folks, we all learned to never judge a film by its trailer once this smartly written, sharply filmed and sleekly acted origin story unfolded on the screen. This was Michael Fassbender Expand
  44. Oct 13, 2012
    This film is so stupid. The dialogue is stupid, scenes are stupid, even Magneto. I see what they tried to do here, but the ways they use in this movie are just stupid and dumb. It could be a good movie if the script was stronger
  45. Aug 21, 2012
    This film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before it descended into chaos. I doubted the film because of its possible childish aspects considering the group of teenage mutants but it also looked dumbed down from the darker X-Men films. Despite this, it managed to produce a stable backstory, there was a cool injection of humour (one scene possibly being unintentional but not in a bad way) and a cameo from a probably lovable rogue makes the film even more special. Expand
  46. Aug 10, 2012
    A perfectly competent action film, nothing more and nothing less. A litany of side characters muddle the plot while Michael Fassbender's performance (lauded by critics) seemed uneven, as his accent changed throughout the film. Moreover, while I applaud the four screenwriters (never a good sign) for attempting to intertwine historical events within the plot, the overall dialogue writing remained clumsy and inept. Expand
  47. Aug 4, 2012
    After two disappointing X-Men movies, this superhero franchise is finally back and better than ever! The only problem this movie has is that is "over-cheesy" at some points. Overall, though, it was a fantastic and fun ride and maybe the best X-Men movie to date.
  48. Jul 21, 2012
    This film was fantastic in places but lacked a unity in direction to be truly amazing. The franchise needed to improve upon X3 and Wolverine, which were clearly the two worst films of the series so far, and in this origin story, they found a film to help them to rise from the ashes in a better way than Jean Grey did in the third film. Matthew Vaughn was clearly the correct choice as director and I look forward to watching his future endeavours. Expand
  49. Jul 5, 2012
    This is by far the best X-Men movie to date. In the movie you get to see how Magneto and Dr. X become friends. Magneto believes that he was the only one that was gifted. As for Dr. X he finds out early when he is a child. Mystic (the blue chick) meets Dr. X when they are only kids. Magneto meets Kevin Bacon (the guy from Hollow Man) and is the main cause for Magneto for realizing his potential. Kevin Bacon has a bigger role in the movie but it may spoil it if I say what it is. It was cool to see Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) for a scene, although the theater's applaud was not needed. The effects in the movie are not too cheesy. The music, except for the trailer, are a bit boring. There seems to not be any epic music through out the movie. It would of liked it if they used the previous actors for Magneto and Dr. X but it would not have worked well with them looking old. The movie includes a few twists (the main one being when Magneto steels Kevin Bacon's helmet). The movie ends with Magneto and Dr. X on their separate paths. There will need to be a sequel to connect the ties of the first X-Men movie (the one that sucked that had Sabertooth in it) with this prequel. Expand
  50. Jul 4, 2012
    After two disappointing lacklusters, the X-Men franchise is back to it's form. A nice prequel that not only presents important character development, but a new and ensembled cast that captures even more the character's personality and depth. The movie is a mixture of the excitment that the first two X-Men's were, mostly because the production team of those two movies, including the screen writter is involved. Expand
  51. Jun 8, 2012
    2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy, great set pieces and above all, a lot of heart and soul, X Men First Class became one of the best film of the year. Expand
  52. Jun 4, 2012
    Fassbender and McAvoy are brilliant but it's a wee bit of a boring, clichéd story, with the young X-Men providing very little in the way of storyline. Good fun, though.
  53. May 26, 2012
    It was a good movie, though not canon in accordance to its predecessors the "X-men trilogy and X-men Origins: Wolverine" its confusing without it keeping continuity already set by the previous films. Other than the confusion the film was pretty great, captivating plot and a eye popping experience filled with plenty of eye candy scenes and a epic performance by the cast. But on the other hand the film did seem it was just thrown together to make a plot for Prof X and Magneto, but I still think they should have had continuity. Expand
  54. May 25, 2012
    Remember the X-Men movie right before this one? You know, the one about the origins of Wolverine? I don't/ My guess is that Hugh Jackman doesn't either. If he does, I can almost be sure that he's at least trying. "X-Men: First Class", directed by Matthew Vaughn, is a prequel that shows us how the presence of mutants became known to humans, and how they responded to each other's impressions. This can also be identified as a 130-minute apology to "Wolverine." The film's first minutes are located in a nasty Nazi prison camp. The mother of young Eric is separated from him. He gets angry, and the steel gate between him and his mother seem to respond. (It's moving by itself!) This odd occurrence is immediately noticed by Sebastian Shaw, who later succeeds in forcing the power out of Eric by killing his mother. Once again in anger, Eric causes all sorts of metals to hurl through the air. The wooden chairs sigh in relief. The sequence described above features the finest moments of "X-Men: First Class." It is there where we are introduced to the young man who will one day be famously recognzied as Magneto. Shortly, we recall familiar names such as Charles (Professor X) and Raven (Mystique), but not at first sight. There is a curious connection between the two. They seem to be really close to one another. So close, in fact, that we wonder about the lack of communication between them in the "previous" X-Men movies. Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/xmen-class/ Expand
  55. May 24, 2012
    *Not a comic guy

This movie was excellent. I enjoyed the focus on character development and the various themes throughout the movie such as accepting yourself. The characters each had their own unique personalities, each with their own flaws and qualities. This alongside their interactions all makes them great characters makes them easy to sympathize with. The movie can be classed as an
    action movie but the action was not the main attraction in my view. It was characters and their relationships with eachother and society that define this movie and make it a quality movie experience. Expand
  56. May 22, 2012
    Even though it was well executed, solid production, good acting, and a decent story, I must be coming off the genre and strating to be tired of films based on comics or prequels to good films. Saying that, I am anxious to see the new Batman (film based on comic) and the Prometheus (prequel to Alien). In that case it must be the film that just didn't win me.
  57. Apr 27, 2012
    Mathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink your teeth into. A real revelation here is Michael Fassbender, who plays Magnito with a brutal elegance. It makes me want to see a lot more of Magnito in the future. Overall, First Class is an excellent movie that is easily on par with the classic X2. Expand
  58. Apr 10, 2012
    Just saw X-Men First Class and wrote this. Hopefully you can read it. http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/04/x-men-first-class.html Hopefully, you'll like it as well. It was very well made and it's my favorite of the franchise (as of now)
  59. Mar 29, 2012
    Surprisingly bearable, X-Men: First Class is a fun superhero movie with a smidgen of depth I wasn't expecting. For those of us who aren't paying too much attention to the fact that it's not true to comics whatsoever, it -is- marginally true to the previous X-Men movies made over the years. That said, there's plenty of dorky, cliched dialogue and the often-seen moral dilemma between justice and revenge. Yes, it's been done a hundred, thousand times before. However, given the setting, the range of characters, and the length of the film, it comes together in a way that isn't quite as nauseating as some other superhero movies that have come out recently that shall remain nameless. If you're a fan of the genre and like movies, give it a whirl. If you're a fan of the comic books... well... chock this one up to "Hollywood dreck" and try to be happy with something else. Expand
  60. Mar 26, 2012
    X men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess a 9 out of 10.
  61. Mar 26, 2012
    When I finally did manage to see it a few day ago, I was blown away. The movie is a compelling story about society and trying to fit in. It is a story many of us can relate too. We change or hide ourselves to fit into the world or better yet, the worldâ
  62. Mar 25, 2012
    Michael fassbender is awesome enough said
  63. Mar 4, 2012
    The only thing about this film that redeemed it was the brief scene with Hugh Jackman where he tells them to well he just does and they should have all listened.
  64. Feb 25, 2012
    I Love this reboot of X-Men, because have much incredible elements, for example, the characters have a great story, the effects wow, are awesome, the direction is incredible. Really First Class is amazing.
  65. Jan 28, 2012
    I am a huge fan of action and comic book movies. The first X-Men films were great, I even liked the third one. I had very high expectations for this one. Fortunately I wasnâ
  66. Jan 27, 2012
    Being able to develop its many characters without interfering with the course of the story, 'X-Men: First Class' is competently acted and possibly the best X-men film yet.
  67. Jan 24, 2012
    I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian, Fassbender stole the show as Magneto, and McAvoy was solid as Xavier but I thought someone else could have played the role better. The plot is good and as I said explains a lot of backstory to the entire Xmen franchise. I loved it. Expand
  68. Jan 20, 2012
    Honestly, I had a few gripes, but in spite of this, it was a very enjoyable film. Don't take 7 out of ten to be poor score by any means, the film was full of memorable moments and characters, at the conclusion I felt regret that the ride had come to an end, something that is always a hallmark of a good film. Wonderful acting, and special effects that reached expectation for a film of this caliber were unfortunately let down by a few elements of the plot that felt rather shallow, or tacked on. Without spoilers, by far the weakest element of the plot was the female FBI agent, something that really could have been left without, leaving many cringeworthy moments in the film and tainting what could of otherwise been a predictable, but enjoyable conclusion. A few of the relationships, by far the standout aspect of the film, could definitely have been explored further, and while the limitations of film length were present, if you are like me you'll be begging for more sections of dialogue. As is epidemic of many hollywood films, especially superhero ones of late, this is a great tale, which unfortunately despite strong beginnings and an enticing mid-section falls apart towards the end. Expand
  69. ACA
    Jan 17, 2012
    Hi
    I would like to say that there is a huge mistake in X-Men first class, in the end of the movie Chavier can't feel his lags and aftter that he start to use the wheelchair, BUT in X-Man 3 when he is older, and visit Jean's home with Magneton he is WALKING!!! How is that possible? Does he have the power to go back to the past And I never Knew before..?
  70. Jan 15, 2012
    Much better than the other origins movie in the franchise and puts it back on track. It moves the franchise into more dark knight territory where rating was not a concern there are a couple of violent scenes which gives much gravitas to the movie. Also the sexy-side is hyped-up and what better character is there to use the most expressive "go **** yourself", in one of the best scenes on the movie. It's great that Wolverine's absence in the action is not that felt because Magnito pretty much fills the void that Wolverine filled in the previous movies. Although its a great movie its biggest weakness is it seems too rushed. Also, the character's introduction is also a bit rushed, it does not flesh them out as X2 did. The relationship between Xavier and Magneto should have been given more strength if the movie got a bit more focused on them...it would have been much more better. Expand
  71. Jan 7, 2012
    Extremely entertaining and an insightful character study. This movie didn't focus on mindless action to capture its audience attention, but rather painted characters that we genuinely grew to care about and feel for by the credits. Probably my favorite X-Men movie.
  72. Dec 15, 2011
    This is how action should be written. It had really good dialogue thought. On top of that the special effects where brilliant. It kept me entertained. And I mostly fall asleep during action movies. It also had a very good cast. I couldn't think of a better actor other then Michael Fassbender to play Magneto. Others that did good acting included Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, and January Jones. It took place during my favorite time period. Except that I did not know that a lot of women had straight hair back then. The plot was also good. I wasn't that much of a fan of the cinematography but that never influences my rating. The most dramatic part of the film had to be when Magneto threw the missiles back to the ships. Also one other thing, I did not know that Professor X and Raven knew each other before the events of the first X-Men movies. I would recommend this to people that like action and super hero movies. Expand
  73. Dec 13, 2011
    There was a good movie here somewhere, but it got lost when the studio hired 4 writers to helm the script. The main problem with this new X-Men movie is that it's all over the place. It's all over the place with its characters, its story, and its style. The main reason is that no scene lasts more than a few minutes. The movie jumps around so much that it's difficult to get involved. It was like the makers had three hours of material, and they were pressured by the studio to assemble a movie that was under two and a half hours. Because of this, the movie jumps around from scene to scene, and none of the characters get any moment to shine. The movie desperately tries in vain to get us to care about them though. The dialogue gives off this manipulatively sappy vibe to it, and director Vaughn accompanies it with some overly dramatic music. Speaking of Vaughn, I didn't really care for a whole lot of his directorial choices. He messes around with too many styles. Sometimes the movie feels like a live action comic book, and other times it goes for a campy Indiana Jones/James Bond vibe. It's like Vaughn didn't have a clear vision for how he wanted to tell the story. There's also a lot of unintentionally awkward moments that Vaughn could have fixed by presenting them in a different way. But "First Class" isn't all flaws. There's some neat visual effects, Fassbender plays an amazing Magneto, and Kevin Bacon plays one of the X-Men's most menacing villains yet, Sebastian Shaw. When the script doesn't suck, Jennifer Lawrence also has a few nice moments as Mystique. And there are a few moments where Vaughn's style meshes with the rest of the movie. But other than that, X-Men: First Class ends up being squandered potential. It would be nice for once in a comic book movie where the makers stop worrying about covering all of the bases, and instead, focus on a compelling story with rich characters to leave us wanting to come back for more. Expand
  74. Dec 12, 2011
    This movie is pretty not great. Stylistically inconsistent (the production went through five DP's), oddly edited, most of the acting (save for Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult, McAvoy [who was alright, I guess] and Rose Byrne [although useless in this film] is terrible. That being said there are some really spectacular moments usually between Magneto and Prof X which is a real loving relationship. I personally found Magneto's storyline and character the most compelling, perhaps because of the masterful Fassbender. That being said I didn't not enjoy this film. It was entertaining and fluff and pretty much what I wanted, but what I wanted was something not good. Expand
  75. Dec 3, 2011
    As a huge X-men fan (comics,animation,movies) im gonna say it was really good . Pro. X and Magneto's past has been showed very well . it was a good script and the actors did amazing job . James was so good being pro X . To me Michael's acting as Magneto was the best thing in this movie. He made this role perfect for him . aslo Kevin did an amazing work too . also Rose , January , Jennifer . But sometimes in the film it felt like it was in 21th sanctuary nit in 1962 . Like the CSI buildings and Shaw's room . Overall its a perfect prequel and looking forward to see two more . P.S. : One of the top most awesome Part/Scene in movie was "Get The F*** Out " . it made me realize (again)How much i missed Huge Jack-man in this film ! Expand
  76. Nov 26, 2011
    This film was easily tied for the best Xmen film. First Class is a great prequel with a great cast, The acting is wonderful. The entire film is interesting from start to finish as well.
  77. Nov 24, 2011
    When I first heard about this film, I thought I would have a hard time accepting a Professor X and a Magneto that wasn't Sir Patrick and Sir Ian. I was immensely surprised when I took to McAvoy and Fassbender (no pun intended), like a magnet. If this film was to be given any credit, it should be for McAvoy's and Fassbender's excellent work in this film. Their friendship and ultimate separation was immensely realistic, and a genuine sad moment when it occurs. The theme of alienation in this movie seems to permeate this film a lot more than it did in the previous franchise. As an origin story, its not on the same level as an origin story like Batman Begins, however personally, it is the best watch of the X-Men franchise. I was never bored once throughout this movie, the pacing and editing is excellent (though a bit over-paced in some places). My only criticism of the film would be that it seems to be a bit too effects heavy in places, and that some of the problems of the original X-Men has spilled over onto this film too. There are too many damn mutants. I would've preferred a tighter focus on a handful of mutants, rather than spilling dozens of mutants into the story, who for some, their only story contribution is a demonstration of their powers. I was never an avid X-Men comic reader, so I might sound like a bit of an outsider saying this, but I would have preferred to have had a focus on mutants with "realistic" powers; i.e. telepathy, telekinesis, magnetism etc. All in all though, it is definitely a film that can be enjoyed on a level for its fun factor, and also for its acting, a good story to hold your attention and themes. A must see for fans of the franchise. Expand
  78. USG
    Nov 21, 2011
    Simply put, from what can be recalled, the acting from the 'supporting' actors was horrid, childish at points, and the plot was average. This is in contrast with the performance of McAvoy ("Professor X") and Fassbender ("Magneto"), who are both quite good throughout it. The movie does not stand out of resonate in any way and deteriorates at points.
  79. Nov 18, 2011
    I don't think that it is the best X-Men film, but it opens a new door for the franchise. Professor X and Magneto have better personalities in this X-Men, which really improves the story itself.
  80. Nov 15, 2011
    Better than expected as First Class downshifted into a prequel and brought a new vibe to the X-Men series instead of grinding it out with sequels. Comedic presence and polished CGI did the body good.
  81. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: More â Expand
  82. Oct 28, 2011
    One thing that the avid comic fan must do when approaching this movie, however, is to divorce themselves utterly from almost all established four-color X-Men continuity. Oh, some bears up, but by and large this is a whole new origin story, a reboot of epic proportions, and yet it is a retcon so cleverly done, and one that offers up a such a delicious melange of complex relationships and sensible motivation, that all of the many discrepancies inherent in having Mystique on the side of good or having Moira McTaggert a CIA agent simply do not matter. Superb! Rock-solid script, two amazing lead performances (the film is basically a bromance) This is one of the very rare prequel that doesn't sucks... Expand
  83. Oct 28, 2011
    This is by far the best film of the series! It's fast, well acted and scripted. Isn't exactly true to the comics but the last two films could be blamed for hurting this one. Now that Wolverine is no longer the center of attention, we get to see more of the rest of the mutants. The story line is very strong and goes back to what made the first two films classics, and what made the last two disasters. The visual effects are jaw-dropping and the cast are astounding, especially Michael Fassbender as Magneto and James McAvoy as Prof. X. Jennifer Lawrence is also very good as Mystique and can't wait to see her as Katniss in The Hunger Games! It did get a bit cliched in spots but it's definitely a return to form for the X-Men films. Expand
  84. Oct 13, 2011
    It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship, it portrays them as friends who benefit from each other, and also makes Magneto a much more sympathetic character who you just can't help but feel for, another noteworthy character is Mystique who's story is excellently crafted, and you can see that the writers put a lot of thought into it, and even tied it into historical events, but it's not really memorable, same goes for the action scenes, there just not all that interesting, and the whole movie outside of the fantastic characters just lacks any sort of pop or flare, and it doesn't really tie in well withe the other movies, but if you want to see different sides of your favorite characters, this is the movie for you, and in my opinion the best X-Men movie yet. Expand
  85. Oct 10, 2011
    This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies I have ever seen. I don't know what was worse, the destruction of the X-Men cannon, the terrible A.D.D. ridden script, the horrible costume choices, the laughable makeup, the ungodly characterization, the clunky acting, the barely used period setting, or the terrifying editing choices making it impossible to take this movie seriously. James McAvoy sounds like he's going to mutate into Shakespeare's Hamlet at any moment, and there is so little time between flitting from set piece to set piece that Michael Fassbender's wonderful portrayal of young Magneto is swept aside and shoehorned in at odd moments. The other mutants are barely given names let alone any distinguishable personality traits. And we are told to care about them after we've seen only one scene of them together "experiencing prejudice", which is essentially two jerks slightly bothering them. Not to mention this movie rolls out the ret-cons like it is going out of style. All in all this movie is much worse than X-Men 3, I at least knew those characters and cared about what happened to them, they were played by actors competent enough to make me give a damn even when the script was bad. This was just another sad addition to a series already circling the drain. Expand
  86. Oct 7, 2011
    The characters are where the actual strong suit is, no pun intended. Without any intrigue or care for the characters, it becomes something along the lines of X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The acting is phenomenal; I have't seen a more realistic and awesome Magneto anywhere else. The scipt unfolds majestically and the acting is again, fanastic. And when it's wrapped with Matthew Vaughan's superb, is not brash sense of directing, it's damn near perfect. Expand
  87. Oct 7, 2011
    Jaw.. droppingly... amazing. The action in this movie will keep you hooked, I remember wanting to make food but couldn't because of how fast the story plays out (which is a good thing). The history of most of the x-men characters are also beautifully portrayed and the CGI effects amazing. The acting is also fresh and never seems scripted and the story is well presented during the Cold War which features Americas struggle with the U.S.S.R.
    This is as close to a great Marvel movie you'll come.
  88. Oct 7, 2011
    Well, it is not a perfect movie but not bad after all. Very impressive effects, story and even the characters. We don't watch the boring struggle between the good and the bad but we can see the struggles in each character's mind themselves. This is the movies that the casts perform very well.
  89. Sep 29, 2011
    really the best X-men movie to date and I'm glad that the franchise will keep rolling. Micheal Fassbender does an incredible job playing Magneto, to bad he will never have to glory of being Magneto and Gandalf lol. the rest of the cast is great as well.
  90. Sep 21, 2011
    "X Men: First Class", similar to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", is a movie that presents the origin of its subject to the audience. Its a good summer blockbuster flick, but its over-concentration on the raging battle between two separate sides (Mutants v.s Bad guys) may leave some audiences baffled or annoyed.
  91. Sep 21, 2011
    Good movie!! Wasnt a xmen fan but this is the fist xmen movie I have purchased. I would recommend to my friend and family to watch this movie as it is a fun family experience.
  92. Sep 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie can be best described as a giant polished turd. It's glossy and bright which for awhile distracts you, but once you're able to look past it's shiny veneer, you see it for what it really is: A giant piece of crap.
    It certainly has some good scenes, but is weighed down by sloppy editing, a meandering storyline, a cheesy revisionist history plot device and a truly horrific performance by Jennifer Lawrence. Kevin Bacon is also miscast, and the film suffers heavily for it.
    It's shot beautifully, in a very pleasing color palette that resembles real life but with a heightened vibrancy - just like Vaughn's previous movie Kick-Ass.
    Michael Fassbender is fantastic as always (save for the last 20 minutes where his Irish accent mysteriously appears, which is the fault of the editor much more than it is his), especially when he's on screen with James McAvoy. It doesn't even matter what they're talking about, they're so damned good together. Problem is, that only accounts for about 30 minutes of the film. The rest of the movie is a complete disaster.
    Kevin Bacon isn't very good at playing villains. Did we learn nothing from Hollow Man? In this movie, he's just not believable. I never felt for one second that his character was gonna win, so I never feared for the X-Men, so there was no real sense of danger. It all hinges on his performance as the villain being believable, and it just wasn't. He's a fine actor, just not the best choice for a villain like that. They should have cast Mads Mikkelson or someone along those lines - less well known and better at playing evil characters.
    Jennifer Lawrence is appalling in her role as a young Mystique. I like Jennifer Lawrence, she's really good when she has a strong, tough character to play like in Winter's Bone. She has a certain inner strength that comes through when she's a playing a character like that - she'll probably be very good as Katniss in The Hunger Games. Here though, she's absolutely awful. You think she'd be good since Mystique is supposed to be hardened and scarred from years of torment at the hands of other kids, etc., but Lawrence plays her as this normal, happy-go-lucky kid who just happens to also be bright blue. Her performance is cringe-worthy, and seems like it's straight out of a made-for-TV movie. You could blame the director, but even if he told her exactly how to play her, it's still a horrendous performance. It's not like he told her to be really awkward and inauthentic.
    The part where all the young mutants are partying and blowing stuff up was embarrassing for me to watch. It felt really awkward and cheesy, to the point where I was actually relieved when the Bacon showed up to break up the party.
    The whole Cuban missile crisis part of the plot is terrible. It's not like in Watchmen where it's an alternate reality, they were trying to say that it really happened and could conceivably be a part of history if X-Men really existed. Historical revisionism at its absolute worst. You can only do things like that if the characters' impact on the event, or the event itself, is small and insignificant, like in Forrest Gump. Of course Gump wasn't there at the first desegregation of a public school, but it works and it's believable because it's certainly possible that he was there. I'm sure they all thought it was really clever though when they wrote it, and a lot of fans probably agree. "Isn't that so clever how they integrated a real event into the story like that?" No, it isn't. Not the way it's done here.
    The movie had some good scenes for sure - Magneto hunting down Nazis and killing them, trying to stop the submarine from getting away, and everything with Magneto and Xavier together, especially the scene where Xavier is teaching him to control his powers and he moves the satellite dish. But the rest of the movie is just a succession of other individual scenes that aren't nearly as good and feel disconnected from each other. There's no cohesiveness to it at all. The story has no flow whatsoever, and the movie is just a meandering mess that looks really good but ultimately goes nowhere (except to its awful historical revisionist ending).
    The fact that this movie is one of the best reviewed films of the year and is rated above an 8.0 is pretty obscene to me as a serious movie watcher. 30 minutes of it is close to that level, the rest is a step below mediocre at best.

A polished fetid turd with no real emotional heft, a horribly contrived revisionist history plot device, and a dreadful performance by Jennifer Lawrence. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender save it from being one of the worst films of the year. 5/10
  93. Sep 16, 2011
    Excellent, both as an x-men adaptation and film. The tone is very similar to the comics, the plot is never boring not drugging. McAvoy and Fassbender take your breath away, wonderful choices.
    It's a fun film, very balanced action, interesting plot (not anything groundbreaking) and there are some messages that should be heard.
    I suggest this movie to both comic book funs and random
    movie-goers...i don't think either will be disappointed. Expand
  94. Sep 15, 2011
    its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with . proffersor x , magneto , beast , raven , frost , and who ever kevin bacon is suppose to be are great. the rest how ever are just lame . if your a fan of the other 3 films you will probubly like this one as well. over all i enjoyed most of it. Expand
  95. Sep 15, 2011
    by far the best in the series, and the best comic book movie since The Dark Knight, McAvoy and Fassbender provides depp and charisma to his caracther. and the director Matthew Vaugh brigh suck style and emotion to the story.
  96. Sep 12, 2011
    Buy-it - The epic beginning of the mutant saga is just as diverse, stylish and powerful as the "superheroes" it's about. You'll leave wishing the Cold War had never ended. But it's the perfect summer blockbuster that will obviously have a sequel and will certainly make a handful of somewhat recognizable faces into Hollywood stars.
  97. Sep 7, 2011
    Great movie! The story was simple, amost "ready", but they made good use of it, very good timing on the scenes, nothing is boring or out of place. The casting was brilliant, the characters were very charismatic and interesting; James McAvoy completely surprised me, he was a very funny but still serious Professor X. Magneto was just awesome, it's hard to hate him at the end of the movie. The attention to details just made it all worth it for the fans, I hope to see a sequel soon. Expand
  98. Aug 31, 2011
    My Favourite X-Men Movie. This was definitely the best one, i though the story was very original, I mean bringing the origins of each mutant and that kind of stuff (the way that the characters become throw out the movies), i did like it a lot, and the casting was just perfect, James McAvoy. Michael Fassbander, Jennifer Lawrence and January Jones, amazing.
  99. Aug 28, 2011
    X-Men: First Class is such an accomplishment of superhero sci-fi allegorical work, that it lays the recent comic flicks to waste. It accomplishes everything that made the earlier X-Men movies promised but never delivered, and it is an incredibly entertaining summer movie, not because of its effects, nor its action scenes, nor its cheesy (in a good way) plot, but because watching McAvoy and Fassbender fires up the screen. Expand
  100. Aug 28, 2011
    This movie was one of the best movies of the year! From Acting, to script, to action to intrigue this movie had it all. It was a complete prequel and reboot at the same time, but did not detract form the x-men stories in the comics. Great directing, great casting, great cinematography...wow it surpassed my expectations unlike some other first avenger nonsense. X-men first class is exactly that, first class! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jun 9, 2011
    It's all vastly superior to Brett Ratner's scorched-earth "X-Men: The Last Stand," of course.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jun 3, 2011
    It's not the artistry of X-Men: First Class that's particularly striking; though it's finely crafted, the film feels less the product of a visionary director than of the Marvel movies machine working at maximum efficiency.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    Jun 3, 2011
    A cameo from an old-school X-Man only serves to remind how stylish and witty the first installment was a decade ago. Lacking a single memorable joke or striking image, First Class is as perfunctory and passionless as would-be franchise resurrections get.