Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 3, 2011
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 1156 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeMar 17, 2016
Marvel (and Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation) is back to bring X-Men to the next level. It almost sorta worked. Just be glad you got a great X-Men installment unlike the Last Stand.
TVJerryJun 7, 2011
This prequel details how the mutant coalition got started. After Professor X and Magneto discover each other, they set about recruiting young people with special powers (some of which are pretty inane). It starts out promisingly withThis prequel details how the mutant coalition got started. After Professor X and Magneto discover each other, they set about recruiting young people with special powers (some of which are pretty inane). It starts out promisingly with compelling backstory and interesting characters, but soon barrels into predictability and noisy videogame combat. While some of the effects manage to dazzle, others are just dumb. Overall, it's not bad, but not in any way outstanding. Expand
TheQuietGamerOct 13, 2011
It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship,It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship, it portrays them as friends who benefit from each other, and also makes Magneto a much more sympathetic character who you just can't help but feel for, another noteworthy character is Mystique who's story is excellently crafted, and you can see that the writers put a lot of thought into it, and even tied it into historical events, but it's not really memorable, same goes for the action scenes, there just not all that interesting, and the whole movie outside of the fantastic characters just lacks any sort of pop or flare, and it doesn't really tie in well withe the other movies, but if you want to see different sides of your favorite characters, this is the movie for you, and in my opinion the best X-Men movie yet. Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 2, 2013
Personally my favorite X-Men movie mainly because unlike most of the other X-Men movies this film has strong character development especially with Xavier and Magneto.
csw12Mar 17, 2013
Even though X-Men: First Class was well executed, had a solid production, above average acting, and a decent story, I couldn't help to notice that I have never sat through a longer 2 hour film in my life.
grandpajoe6191Sep 21, 2011
"X Men: First Class", similar to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", is a movie that presents the origin of its subject to the audience. Its a good summer blockbuster flick, but its over-concentration on the raging battle between two separate"X Men: First Class", similar to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", is a movie that presents the origin of its subject to the audience. Its a good summer blockbuster flick, but its over-concentration on the raging battle between two separate sides (Mutants v.s Bad guys) may leave some audiences baffled or annoyed. Expand
Tss5078Feb 22, 2013
I never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questionsI never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questions for the fans of the movie, who don't follow the comics, and it is one blockbuster film that more than lives up to its hype. From the special effects to the make-up and finally to the actors this film is amazing. Movies like this never win awards, but you will be hard pressed to find better performances than those of James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender. The whole cast was terrific, the story was fantastic, and the special effects were truly out of this world. This is a great film and I'm craving more. I can't wait to see what connections the next forty years bring between first class and the trilogy. When it's all said and done, I hope I can watch all these films and truly understand the whole story. Expand
Trev29Mar 17, 2013
While there were definitely promising qualities and scenes, most of the movie was never engrossing to watch. This might sound like an oxymoron, but the best way to describe the film would to call it an interesting bore.
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian,I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian, Fassbender stole the show as Magneto, and McAvoy was solid as Xavier but I thought someone else could have played the role better. The plot is good and as I said explains a lot of backstory to the entire Xmen franchise. I loved it. Expand
marcmyworksNov 13, 2013
A breath of fresh air to the X-Men series and the strengths in character development are great. My only problem with this film is the lack of a real punch as the end drags a bit.
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
X -Men : First Class talks about the origin of the most beloved mutant world , apart from the turtles was an amazing story. Where they were born , Professor X , Magneto , Mystique and Beast, for which survived , indeed Mc Avoy , Fassbender,X -Men : First Class talks about the origin of the most beloved mutant world , apart from the turtles was an amazing story. Where they were born , Professor X , Magneto , Mystique and Beast, for which survived , indeed Mc Avoy , Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence Hoult and to not waste their time . Expand
TokyochuchuApr 27, 2012
Mathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink yourMathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink your teeth into. A real revelation here is Michael Fassbender, who plays Magnito with a brutal elegance. It makes me want to see a lot more of Magnito in the future. Overall, First Class is an excellent movie that is easily on par with the classic X2. Expand
MarcDoyleJun 3, 2011
Much of the movie is fun, exciting, and dramatic (the first half), but the second half just becomes- to borrow the word used by a couple pro critics - tedious. January Jones and Kevin Bacon actually bring a lot to the table, which wasMuch of the movie is fun, exciting, and dramatic (the first half), but the second half just becomes- to borrow the word used by a couple pro critics - tedious. January Jones and Kevin Bacon actually bring a lot to the table, which was completely unexpected. (If only some idiot didn't shout "Kevin Bacon!" every time he opened a scene at my midnight show - followed by giggles). And James McAvoy is terrific. Based on his prior performances, I expected more from Michael Fassbender, though. He was so good in FishTank and Inglourious Basterds, but he feels a little wasted here. Setting it in the 60's is effective, but The Watchmen (another "period piece") just felt SO much more authentic and engaging to me - the story had more focus. The X-Men: FC story is just a little too scattered and untethered. There are some fun cameos, incidentally. And do not bother to sit through the end credits - there's nothing there. Bummer. Expand
ZilcellNov 18, 2011
I don't think that it is the best X-Men film, but it opens a new door for the franchise. Professor X and Magneto have better personalities in this X-Men, which really improves the story itself.
JacobMar 9, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I enjoyed this film. I will admit that the film drags a bit and is confusing to start off with and that the plot is rushed a bit for the sake of tying it into the other films; but I feel that we still got some good stuff. The redeeming factor of this film is the take on the characters specifically Xavier, Magneto, and Mistique. I enjoyed watching these characters and cared about some of them more so than the original X-Men. Even though this plot feels condencesed I still would like to see another movie with these characters, which it looks like we will be getting sort of with X-Men Days of Future Past, which will hopefully will be good. If you’re a fan of the X-Men movies check this one out because you may like it. Even if you are not a fan of the previous ones I am going to say watch it because it is different from the other ones. It provides an interesting take on characters we know and love and is enjoyable. Again what ruins it is the rushed ending but if you look past that you will enjoy the film. Is this a great film no but it is a good one, which is something that a lot of movies cannot be. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
I was fully prepared to hate this movie, no denying that. I can't say I'm a die hard fan, but I used to read all the X-Men comics that were published in my home country, Finland, and although that isn't all that's been published in USA, I hadI was fully prepared to hate this movie, no denying that. I can't say I'm a die hard fan, but I used to read all the X-Men comics that were published in my home country, Finland, and although that isn't all that's been published in USA, I had a pretty solid idea about what was supposed to happen, and who would be in a movie like this.

Either my memory is getting rusty in all the right places, or mixing up people, background, ages and timelines didn't really do much damage to this movie - because it rocked!

A bit uneven in pace (having a very calm training-the-kids moment in the middle which kind of halts the action that's been happening so far). I did, however, fully appreciate the fact that they used the same clip in the beginning as they did in the first X-Men film back in 2000.

The cast was... well, it was either good or rather insignificant. The choice of James McAvoy as Charles Xavier was a little odd, but he grew on you. Michael Fassbender was pretty good as future Magneto. Kevin Bacon totally rocked as Sebastian Shaw, and under all that make-up, Jason Flemyng as Azazel was probably the most impressive one of them all to watch.

Charles and Eric took center stage, with Shaw, and everyone else shrank back, being less and less important. Sure, they did their part, but it seemed they just sort of... hung back and tried to create little issues of their own (which were many and meaningful, considering the overall themes, but that still wasn't enough to make them shine).

The action was good, the special effects were awesome, and the emotional depth was just right. Small details like names and faces *cough*Wolverine*cough* - and Magneto's helmet - were thrown around, which was awesome.

So, as much as I prepared to hate this film, I have to admit I shall be watching it again, and even hope they'll continue with this version of the X-Men universe, because they are off to a rather good start.
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent, I loved it. I was expecting something more like Wolverine, but this was a fantastic movie. Not only a brilliant addition to the X-Men series, but it's the best of the series!

The reason I say that this is the best of the series is because it delivers in more areas than the previous films did...First Class is very deep. For once I felt for the characters, I actually cared about what happened to them and how they interacted with each other. Credit must go to the cast because their performances contributed to this, especially James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. McAvoy gives a great performance as Professor X, and Fassbender is incredible as Magneto. (You will see Erik/Magneto in a whole new light). My favorite scene in the entire film is actually not an action scene, but the highly emotional diologue between McAvoy and Fassbender with moving the satelitte...also the end of the final action scene. Those two scenes alone add SO much to the film and trilogy. I can't explain it all, but this is truly a great addition to the series.

And...of course the action was awesome! The visuals were excellent and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I love action movie blockbusters and First Class delivered.

I cannot recommend this film enough! It's my favorite of the year so far. Action + Drama = X-Men First Class = Great Film!
TheApplegnomeOct 16, 2014
Incredible.
This film is almost greater than the original X-Men movies, so spectacular!
Incredible.
This film is almost greater than the original X-Men movies, so spectacular!

The first thing that totally made me love this movie is that there’s always something going on, it just kept going and going and I love it. Another thing is the video editing, it’s so unique and professional. There’s also many unique things that totally surprised me, which made the film superb! X-Men: First Class is a wonderful prequel film that totally is greater than the original, and there’s not many directors that have been successful with that in recent years. The story is awesome, it’s so deep and well thought-out. Aside from that is First Class a very entertaining film that got an awesome opening scene and ending. The soundtrack is another aspect of the film that truly is insanely great, Henry Jackman is from now on one of my favorite composers.

Even though it's an incredible film, it got some downsides like vague CGI and some less great actors, but it’s still one of my favorite movies of all time.

One of the best prequel films in history.

X-men: First Class get a 8.8/10
StevenFFeb 9, 2013
This was a surprisingly excellent film, when you hear the term 'reboot' or 'prequel', there isnt much of a rapturous applause, but First Class felt like wondrous step in the right direction.
Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik
Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik Lensherr later known as Magneto, who witnesses the death of his mother after Dr Klaus Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is aware of Lensherr's mutant capabilities.
A long way away from Lensherr's woes in a concentration camp, we see a child Charles Xavier, later Professor X getting acquainted with a young Raven Darkholme, who you may no better as the blue shape-shifter Mistique.
Fast-forward to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, we see Xavier (James McAvoy) far from how we know him, a womanising Oxford graduate who is smooth-talking and charming, tagging along behind him is Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).
Meanwhile, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is killing his way through those who tortured him in the past, running into his soon-to-be friend Xavier.
Thus sets off quite a retro yet whirlwind of entertainment with an ensemble cast including Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, January Jones and uncredited yet brilliantly simple and hilarious cameo from a familiar mutant.
What was most interesting about First Class was its uniqueness from it trilogy counterpart, it didn't feel similar to them at all, and this was good, its creating its own path, and what an enjoyable path it was. Groundbreaking special effects, particularly a scene of Magneto lifting a submarine out of the water with his manipulation ability of metal.
Personally, it was the excellently scripted film that was of particular enjoyment, the large ensemble cast feels fresh, and the film isnt afraid to take risks, big egos, big music and large set pieces have set up what could be a very successful and enjoyable chapter in the large world of X-Men.
The performances of the two leads in McAvoy and Fassbender are fantastically unique, filling big shoes from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, they superbly bring their own youth and charisma to the roles, while maintaining the strained relationship that these two mutant heavyweights share.
Absolutely brilliant and well-thought prequel to a successful franchise, let it continue.
FuturedirectorMar 22, 2017
Despite its some unsatisfying moments, X-Men: First Class finishes being an efficiently informative prequel form a truly epic classic X-Men saga, that won't disappoint the audience at all.
homer4presidentMar 16, 2015
After a great first movie, an even better sequel, a disappointing third film, and a completely unnecessary origin story, the X-Men's return is in full form with First Class, a successful reboot that also works just as well as an exceptional prequel.
HalfwelshmanJun 4, 2011
There are moments of brilliance in X-Men: First Class, it has to be said. The re-creation of the first film's opening is a strong, and unexpected start. The scenes where the mutant team is being formed, and trained, are also extremely fun.There are moments of brilliance in X-Men: First Class, it has to be said. The re-creation of the first film's opening is a strong, and unexpected start. The scenes where the mutant team is being formed, and trained, are also extremely fun. Nicholas Hoult, playing a young beast, and Jennifer Lawrence, playing a young Mystique are surprising highlights, both bringing real emotion and empathy to their respective blue characters. Kevin Bacon has fun as the movie's main villain and James McAvoy is a convincing, and slightly more mischievous younger Professor X. Michael Fassbender also delivers a spellbinding performance, and really manages to get across why Magneto becomes the man he does - it's just such a shame that he occasionally slips back into his natural Irish dialect in several of the more dramatic moments. The characters are all likable, the story well-enough told. It's only a few clunkily delivered lines, and a quite frankly ridiculous finale (even by comic book standards) that verges on spoiling the movie. There is, however, enough to entertain, and more than enough fan-boy references to make First-Class a worthwhile watch, and in the closing minutes Vaughn undoubtedly sets up a promising sequel... Expand
BikerjamesJun 6, 2011
For me, it was good but not as good as the first two. Hugh Jackman's sense of humor is missing in this installment. In fact, the 10 second cameo by Hugh Jackman in this film was my favorite part of the entire movie. Mostly drama and goodFor me, it was good but not as good as the first two. Hugh Jackman's sense of humor is missing in this installment. In fact, the 10 second cameo by Hugh Jackman in this film was my favorite part of the entire movie. Mostly drama and good to great special effects. Overall a solid effort, but not particularly memorable. Expand
ShiiraJul 23, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel is still alive. The eighty-two-year-old author, best known for "Night", a slim novel about his experiences in the concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald, is also widely known to be a vocal critic of the way the Nazi genocide of the Jews gets portrayed in the media. When NBC broadcasted the miniseries "Holocaust" in 1978, he called the television film "morally objectionable and indecent". As an addendum to Wiesel's assertion of television trivializing the six-million dead by filming the unfilmable, cultural historian Neal Gabler in "Imaginary Witness", agrees that the genocide narrative goes "beyond any traditional form," in which any depiction of the pogrom carried out by the Nazis is "a war between narrative and history". Has Wiesel seen "Inglourious Basterds", the 2009 film where narrative wins the war from the outset, since WWII gets reinvented by a post-modernist who utilizes the Jews as subordinates to a parallel history: movie history, which runs concurrent with their story of persecution, death, and in this case, revenge? Bypassing the iconography of victimization(ghettos, concentration camps) found in all Nazi-themed films, the Jews fight back in Tarantino's alternate take on WWII, as the film instead chooses to focus on a Hebrew commando team that specializes in the capturing and torturing of German POWs with gruesome acts of mutilation. While all holocaust-driven are largely predicated on large-scale killing and mass suffering, "Inglourious Basterds" has a filmic precedent that goes all the way back to the early-forties, an epoch when a Nazi-sympathizing Hollywood very rarely dealt honestly with the imminent German menace, but Charlie Chaplin directed, produced, and starred in "The Great Dictator", the first film about the imperiled Jews that mentioned them by name. Playing a barber who returns to the ghetto after a lengthy bout of amnesia, Chaplin fights the stormtroopers with slapstick, where in one scene, he dares to slap a soldier with a paintbrush, whitening the Aryan's face in the process, after the Jew balks at having to reproduce the 'W' in his race's namesake which he smudged off from a storefront window. Even better, Hannah, the Bear-Jew of her day, rather than swing a bat, whacks Nazis on the head, hard, with a frying pan. After her small victory, she tells the barber, "We should all fight back." In "X-Men: First Class", the filmmaker returns to Poland, 1944, where in the 2000 original, Magneto, then just a scared boy named Erik, reduces a gate into an iron heap through the unleashing of his telekinetic powers. For Wiesel, the comic book is the stuff of juvenilia. But to a younger generation, the comic book is viewed as the novel's equal, in which they would see no difference between "Night" and the Marvel origin story where the concentration camp setting of the scene is based on. By reappropriating the violence inherent in Nazi Germany through a comic book-based language, the "X-Men" saga challenges the hegemony of traditional film adaptations. A Nazi scientist named Sebastian shoots Eric's mother dead, which is par for the course in any film dealing with the holocaust, but unlike "Schindler's List", the shooting itself isn't the spectacle; it's the preamble to the summer movie pageant of CGI, as the traumatized boy inverts the file cabinet in the office, and sends objects flying around in the adjoining room. For all its contemporary trappings, in which "X-Men: First Class" borrows a Jewish trope that Tarantino himself pioneered(the holocaust survivor antihero), Erik kills Nazis in a film that's surprisingly reactionary, since it avoids using the word "Jew" to describe the people that he's avenging. It's coded. Whereas a WWII-era film such as "The Mortal Storm" substituted the racial label with the less-specific term "anti-Semitic", likewise, the "X-Men" saga uses "mutant" in place of the "J"-word in identifying Magneto as a Hebrew, perhaps for the reason that Hollywood wants to distance itself from its complicity in regard to the US government's isolationist stance leading up to the Pearl Harbor bombing. Interestingly enough, Chaplin wears a bucket which recalls the helmet Magneto is often outfitted with, in a scene where the barber and the SS officer hide themselves on a roof to escape capture. "Strange, I always thought of you as an Aryan," he tells the barber in an earlier scene, where the Nazi puts a stop to a ghetto liquidation already in progress. In essence, that's what Eric has become, both a Jew and a "great dictator"(Chaplin also plays the Fuhrer). Just before Magneto makes his getaway by helicopter in "X-Men", there's a cutaway to the American flag, a symbol that gains greater significance in the film's climax, where the magnetic field that he creates from the Statue of Liberty, has the potential of turning New York into one great crematorium. Expand
nutterjrMay 22, 2012
Even though it was well executed, solid production, good acting, and a decent story, I must be coming off the genre and strating to be tired of films based on comics or prequels to good films. Saying that, I am anxious to see the new BatmanEven though it was well executed, solid production, good acting, and a decent story, I must be coming off the genre and strating to be tired of films based on comics or prequels to good films. Saying that, I am anxious to see the new Batman (film based on comic) and the Prometheus (prequel to Alien). In that case it must be the film that just didn't win me. Expand
Rox22Jan 4, 2013
As a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR tooAs a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR too many liberties and makes very little sense. Kevin Bacon did a good job with Sebastian Shaw's character and portrays him well, but just did not represent (visually) him that well (not to mention his horrific German. His pronunciation was extremely cringe worthy to anyone who speaks German.) McAvoy & Fassbender are fantastic in their roles and do an almost perfect job of showing Magneto & Xavier in their early days. Everyone else ....... can just be forgotten. I thought this movie is made purely for entertainment and it seems to me that very little thought went into its writing, at least in terms of being true to its source material. While I appreciate what they were trying to do, they should have rather sold it as a reboot rather than a prequel to the other movies. Overall: A huge disappointment to fans of the original comics, but very good for everyone else. (At least it was better than Last Stand.) Expand
drlowdonOct 27, 2014
Lead by excellent performances from James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender, First Class, does a good job of crafting the origins of the X-Men seen in previous movies. Admittedly it doesn’t do anything particularly different to many of the otherLead by excellent performances from James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender, First Class, does a good job of crafting the origins of the X-Men seen in previous movies. Admittedly it doesn’t do anything particularly different to many of the other Marvel movies, and the plot arguably jumps around a little too much, but fans of the superhero genre won’t be disappointed by what they see here. Expand
OfficialMar 8, 2014
The best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense actionThe best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense action sequences, you simply have a great movie. Expand
MrMovieBuffMar 17, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the dismal and lack of entertaining factors that came from 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (2006) and don't even get me started on 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' (2009), it's understandable to think why this movie would be such a disaster.

First of all, it is a prequel...many would think "What on earth? A prequel? Really? Is this all they have to offer after the last two crap-fests that came out?". Admit it, this could easily have been the next 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace' (1999) and put the "X-Men" franchise to a new low.

In other words, we all had low expectations, well most of us did. But after watching this movie, for some strange reason, I wanted to see it again, and so did a lot of people.

'X-Men: First Class' is directed by Matthew Vaughn who gave us 'Layer Cake' (2004) and 'Kick-Ass' (2010), he was apparently supposed to direct 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (2006), which would have been a good idea, but he couldn't for undisclosed reasons.

Here, Vaughn has crafted a stylish, thoughtful, sometimes funny and exhilarating action movie that stands out in the crowd. For the first time, the movie does not focus on Wolverine, and instead focuses on two very interesting and popular characters in the franchise; Professor X (played by James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender). Obviously, they were just known as Charles Xavier and Eric Lensherr.

We see Eric back in Poland, 1944 when he was a child, a repeat scene we all saw back in the original 'X-Men' (2000), but we never saw what really happened after Eric's parents were taken away from him and why he became Magneto, Vaughn fills in that piece of the puzzle. It seems that there is a man named Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) who is fascinated with young Eric's powers and ability to manipulate metal, so he asks him to move a coin or his mother gets shot. Sounds easy? Nope. After he shoots Eric's mother, through anger it seems that Eric can manipulate metal if he is feeling that emotion.

We also meet young Charles Xavier, who at night, meets a young blue girl named Raven who has the ability to shape-shift into any other human being. Xavier is amazed that there is another mutant who can do extraordinary things as he is able to read minds and control people's thoughts...quite intelligent for a little boy.

What does amaze me is the great chemistry that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender have as the two main characters, just like what Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen had in the original trilogy. They seem genuine as friends and you believe every line they say.

What also amazes me is how much this movie links into history, so the Marvel comics universe DOES interact with our real world. We see archive footage of President John F. Kennedy announcing how there is going to be a nuclear war and a possible start to World War III.

The cast is outstanding as well, after praising the two leads above, Jennifer Lawrence is great as Mystique, Nicholas Hoult makes a good young Beast and many more actors do their best with a strong script.

However, having said it is a strong script, it is a little cliched here and there and it isn't exactly as dark as the first two "X-Men" movies, but the action is clean, the story is well thought out and this is a satisfying entry into the franchise. It may be far from being the greatest "X-Men" movie, but it's still great and better than what Brett Ratner had up his sleeve.
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
Better than expected as First Class downshifted into a prequel and brought a new vibe to the X-Men series instead of grinding it out with sequels. Comedic presence and polished CGI did the body good.
MegWhiteleyFeb 25, 2012
I Love this reboot of X-Men, because have much incredible elements, for example, the characters have a great story, the effects wow, are awesome, the direction is incredible. Really First Class is amazing.
KivaJun 10, 2013
X-men first class is the best x-men movie ever made. Deal with it. It has great action and story. The effects are impressive and it's the best one. Matthew Vughn did an excellent work after kick-ass
TrilobiteGJul 21, 2015
I did not like superhero's before 2011. In fact, I didn't even give a **** about batman. This Movie got me to like Marvel and DC. This movie is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! THE FUN TO BE HAD IN THIS MOVIE IS SO UNBELIEVABLY LARGE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.I did not like superhero's before 2011. In fact, I didn't even give a **** about batman. This Movie got me to like Marvel and DC. This movie is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! THE FUN TO BE HAD IN THIS MOVIE IS SO UNBELIEVABLY LARGE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. The transformation of Magneto was so beautifully and tragically done (tying in with xavier bullet scene). The relationship between mystique and beast that was so tragically torn away makes you care for these mutants. It had heart, I wanted to read a diary entry on their thoughts and feelings I was so interested. Easily, the best part of this movie is the finding and training of the mutants because If, like me, you thought superhero's were all gifted people with smug and completely emotionless personalities, the fact that you could see their struggle opened my eyes to a whole panorama of different characters and I instantly became a Geek. This movie morphed me into a Geek, and for that I am great-full. Expand
FreedomFightersDec 12, 2016
"X-Men: First Class" had one job: all it had to do was bring the "X-Men" franchise back on its feet after the underwhelming reception to "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." Even with "Kick Ass" director Matthew Vaughn at"X-Men: First Class" had one job: all it had to do was bring the "X-Men" franchise back on its feet after the underwhelming reception to "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." Even with "Kick Ass" director Matthew Vaughn at the helm, reviving the franchise was certainly a massive undertaking, but luckily, "First Class" proves that the franchise is back. It's exciting, action-packed, pretty charming, pretty funny, well-written and very well-acted. "X-Men: First Class" has it all, and even if you aren't a gigantic fan of the "X-Men," this film is definitely worth watching, and if you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor. Expand
dharmaJun 8, 2012
2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season.2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy, great set pieces and above all, a lot of heart and soul, X Men First Class became one of the best film of the year. Expand
DanBurritoJun 14, 2016
With an action-packed plot, outstanding performances and plenty of character-driven drama, X-Men: First Class successfully breathes new life into the X-Men franchise. The whole cast (especially Fassbender, McAvoy and Lawrence) were excellent,With an action-packed plot, outstanding performances and plenty of character-driven drama, X-Men: First Class successfully breathes new life into the X-Men franchise. The whole cast (especially Fassbender, McAvoy and Lawrence) were excellent, allowing us to really feel for their characters. The action scenes were also impressively done. Various characters such as Mystique are made into stronger characters as their backstories are revealed. The only problem I had was that I found the villains (not including Magneto) a bit weak. Other than that, this was a fun, hugely satisfying prequel and one of the best X-Men movies to date. Expand
asylumspadezNov 26, 2011
This film was easily tied for the best Xmen film. First Class is a great prequel with a great cast, The acting is wonderful. The entire film is interesting from start to finish as well.
gm101Jun 19, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very enjoyable prequel to the X-Men franchise. I loved Wolverine's cameo! Although, the plot holes this movie created made me take away two points. Still, at least it's no X-Men 3. Expand
SwatiJun 12, 2013
Definitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. TheDefinitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. The CIA agent laying her burden on Xavier was very convenient, and there was no need for the romance angle. Mystique and Beast should have been explored more. In the absence of Wolverine, the more physical mutants seemed to be clearly lacking. But the downward spiral is really reversed by the focus on Magneto and Professor X, which was the strongest point about the film. Expand
oDjentoSep 29, 2015
This has set up what could ultimately end up being the better end of the X men franchise in my opinion as I didn’t really enjoy too much of the previous films (X1 was alright and X2 was good).
The film is of sorts a revenge story and an
The film is of sorts a revenge story and an origins story however, it only really focuses on Professor X and Magneto. The revenge story doesn’t really make complete sense though as Magneto had an easy opportunity to kill Kevin Bacons character at the start but he instead kills two random guards in his anger. Why? To give us a story I suppose.
McAvoy and Fassbender are brilliant in their characters to be honest and they really play off each other and play with their own characters very well, offering some great scenes between them. Fassbender shines most here though. The other characters are given hardly any development however and Mystique is far too whiny to really be that likeable in this film, also due to the fact she never really does anything. Basically it builds up Prof X and Magneto greatly but just dismisses all other characters. Mystique is just whiny and then ends up changing her views at the end of the film, Beast is a little **** and then becomes badass at the end, The lazer guy is a dick and then becomes nice to beast as soon as he becomes beast, Angel is a good character and then becomes sinisterly evil and happy to kill former friends out of nowhere and the strong guy just well, isn’t on screen for long: and to further my point on character development is that I can’t remember some of their names. Some action sequences are good and Fassbender and McAvoy are awesome but the film is just that little bit under par. I can see what it’s trying to set up and I look forward to Days Of Future Past now but as a whole, the film is not an achievement of any kind. Bacon’s character seems a little miscast also, with his accent going from a German officer to an all-out American.
X men fans will probably love this but I can’t really fully see it other than the two main characters.
4.5/10
Knicksfan7Jun 12, 2011
Best X-Men film released to date. This movie was great. The acting was excellent. James McAvoy was a perfect Professor X with his witty humor and high intelligence and Michael Fassbender played Magneto very well with his sinister attitude. IBest X-Men film released to date. This movie was great. The acting was excellent. James McAvoy was a perfect Professor X with his witty humor and high intelligence and Michael Fassbender played Magneto very well with his sinister attitude. I saw nothing negative about this film, it deserves higher than a 65 by critics. I wasn't ever a huge X-Men fan reading the comics or anything but I did enjoy the films very much, besides The Last Stand. This addition to the series is most definitely the best. The acting was good, the action was astonishing, the CGI, and the makeup was great. I loved how they built up the story of our two main mutants, Magneto and Professor X. It worked very well, learning how it all began. I especially loved the bald jokes with Professor X, that was very funny. This movie was more than I expected. It was just a great superhero film but an amazing film period. 10/10 in my opinion. Expand
asthobaskoroJul 26, 2011
Strong script, touching performance, good direction, cool music and intense action. X-Men: First Class is the perfect summer trip and one of great movies this year. Full review: http://bit.ly/qtDmH2
AkkharDec 3, 2011
As a huge X-men fan (comics,animation,movies) im gonna say it was really good . Pro. X and Magneto's past has been showed very well . it was a good script and the actors did amazing job . James was so good being pro X . To me Michael's actingAs a huge X-men fan (comics,animation,movies) im gonna say it was really good . Pro. X and Magneto's past has been showed very well . it was a good script and the actors did amazing job . James was so good being pro X . To me Michael's acting as Magneto was the best thing in this movie. He made this role perfect for him . aslo Kevin did an amazing work too . also Rose , January , Jennifer . But sometimes in the film it felt like it was in 21th sanctuary nit in 1962 . Like the CSI buildings and Shaw's room . Overall its a perfect prequel and looking forward to see two more . P.S. : One of the top most awesome Part/Scene in movie was "Get The F*** Out " . it made me realize (again)How much i missed Huge Jack-man in this film ! Expand
Khunter4382Jun 13, 2011
Another great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail.Another great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail. My only criticism would be that we don't see much exhibition of the mutants' powers, which is what these films are all about. One could argue that the reasoning for this is that they are young, amateur, and under-developed with their powers, but with the shock and awe nature of these films, most audiences don't have that kind of time after 20 mins. Expand
A_NorthernerFeb 22, 2013
First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different'First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from military stand-off to full blown war. As usual with X-Men, too many characters are included purely for bodies in the fight scenes. Step forward Angel, Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Azazel and Riptide. Avengers leads the way in accommodating a group of major superheroes without shoehorning wafer-thin characters for cannon fodder. Special mentions for January Jones, who gives the flattest, monotone performance I can remember as the Schmidt's female sidekick, Emma Frost and Kevin Bacon, for performing scenes in German and Russian! On to the positives......Michael Fassbender. It is not often you associate a superhero movie with powerhouse performances, but Fassbender's intense, brooding portrayal of Erik, hinting at the flaws that ultimately come to the surface as Magneto, is just that, and is a joy to watch. Only a few leagues below (and given Fassbender's performance this is still high praise) is James McAvoy's performance as Charles Xavier.

All things said and done, First Class is an enjoyable action film, benefiting from some excellent actors and the curiosity attached to seeing younger versions of familiar characters.
ArkonBladeSep 15, 2011
its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with .its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with . proffersor x , magneto , beast , raven , frost , and who ever kevin bacon is suppose to be are great. the rest how ever are just lame . if your a fan of the other 3 films you will probubly like this one as well. over all i enjoyed most of it. Expand
JamesLJun 13, 2011
My review is slightly biased as I am not a follower of the series. I had seen one film at least 5 years ago and was not all that thrilled. In fact, I don't remember which one it was which bothered the male groupie who went with us. That said,My review is slightly biased as I am not a follower of the series. I had seen one film at least 5 years ago and was not all that thrilled. In fact, I don't remember which one it was which bothered the male groupie who went with us. That said, I enjoyed the escapism of a Sunday night but I thought the film was silly and cartonish. I found the teenagers behind me enjoying it greatly. At least Kevin Bacon did not look as silly as Ian McCallum did in the other film I saw. That hat looked ridiculos on him. Expand
dev92Jul 21, 2012
This film was fantastic in places but lacked a unity in direction to be truly amazing. The franchise needed to improve upon X3 and Wolverine, which were clearly the two worst films of the series so far, and in this origin story, they found aThis film was fantastic in places but lacked a unity in direction to be truly amazing. The franchise needed to improve upon X3 and Wolverine, which were clearly the two worst films of the series so far, and in this origin story, they found a film to help them to rise from the ashes in a better way than Jean Grey did in the third film. Matthew Vaughn was clearly the correct choice as director and I look forward to watching his future endeavours. Expand
wishmasterJun 9, 2011
I think that created the script so you do not have a relationship with the other tapes of x-men, there were unexplained parts, parts of poor quality film, I liked the music, parts of the script out of order .. expected so much more
TonyJun 3, 2011
Insanely entertaining, largely due to the chemistry and charisma of Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. The story is fun, energetic and fast-paced. The 60s setting is a welcome change of pace for the superhero genre, and I won't be surprisedInsanely entertaining, largely due to the chemistry and charisma of Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. The story is fun, energetic and fast-paced. The 60s setting is a welcome change of pace for the superhero genre, and I won't be surprised if its costumes and art direction receive Oscar attention. It certainly would help to be familiar with the X-Men universe to fully appreciate everything, but this is pure summer fun. Expand
txrangersfan72Jun 3, 2011
A combination of the Chris Claremont/John Byrne years, Children of the Atom and the Christopher Yost years of New X-Men, X-Men: First Class brings back Bryan Singer, this time as writer and producer, leaving the director work to "Kick-Ass"A combination of the Chris Claremont/John Byrne years, Children of the Atom and the Christopher Yost years of New X-Men, X-Men: First Class brings back Bryan Singer, this time as writer and producer, leaving the director work to "Kick-Ass" director, Matthew Vaughan. Combined with a perfect casting Magneto, Professor X, Mystique, Sebastian Shaw and a surprisingly good Emma Frost, this is the best ensemble and story in the franchise so far. Even better than X2, which I never thought could be topped, especially after the franchise-ruining Brett Ratner debacle. Hardcore fans will love every minute. Expand
russiangamerMar 5, 2017
Приквел лучше, чем все фильмы серии до него. Звёздный актёрский состав, потрясные эффекты, интересные диалоги и сюжет, даже юмора завезли, а так же очень понравилась музыка.
Отличное кино.
Отличное кино.
avatar16Aug 23, 2011
Une bonne surprise que ce X-Men : le Commencement car il est ce que peu espéraient, c'est-à-dire le meilleur film actuel de la saga. Il est vrai que cet opus laisse légèrement deUne bonne surprise que ce X-Men : le Commencement car il est ce que peu espéraient, c'est-à-dire le meilleur film actuel de la saga. Il est vrai que cet opus laisse légèrement de côté l'action, mais c'est pour mieux se préoccuper des personnages, qui sont approfondis comme rarement (je pense notamment à Xavier, Magneto, Mystique et le Fauve), grâce un scénario très malin. Superbement interprété et mis en scène, musiques entraînantes, effets numériques de bonne qualité... Ajoutez à cela un caméo inattendu et jouissif de Logan/Wolverine, nous avons-là un film qui rattrape sans conteste les erreurs de X-Men : l'Affrontement Final et X-Men Origins : Wolverine, et qui peut se vanter d'être bien meilleur que X-Men 2. Là, nous avons un grand film Marvel, se plaçant aux côtés de Spider-Man et Iron Man! Expand
SeriosityDec 8, 2012
It is certainly flawed and all over the place, but McAvoy and Fassbender are superb. They are great, both together and individually as Xavier and Magneto, respectively.
DarkCriticJun 3, 2011
Now this is what I'm talking about the best X-Men film ever! X-Men: First Class was amazing and one of the best superhero films on my top. This is where X-Men Origins: Wolverine shouldn't been and it's more better than the original trilogy,Now this is what I'm talking about the best X-Men film ever! X-Men: First Class was amazing and one of the best superhero films on my top. This is where X-Men Origins: Wolverine shouldn't been and it's more better than the original trilogy, but I like X-Men Trilogy instead that stupid Wolverine prequel. The scenes were pretty amazing, the cast have better acting, the special effects looks neat (sometimes it wouldn't bring the older effects just like the original trilogy), the action is so cool and pretty awesome, and the story was very good where they explain that the X-Men started from. This is my best summer flick that I would watch this movie over again and I hope that this film is better than the rest that coming out is that not much to see like Thor or Captain America., but it's awesome! Expand
J-ShapAug 28, 2011
X-Men: First Class is such an accomplishment of superhero sci-fi allegorical work, that it lays the recent comic flicks to waste. It accomplishes everything that made the earlier X-Men movies promised but never delivered, and it is anX-Men: First Class is such an accomplishment of superhero sci-fi allegorical work, that it lays the recent comic flicks to waste. It accomplishes everything that made the earlier X-Men movies promised but never delivered, and it is an incredibly entertaining summer movie, not because of its effects, nor its action scenes, nor its cheesy (in a good way) plot, but because watching McAvoy and Fassbender fires up the screen. Expand
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
Not too bad, but the costume design was much too modern for the early 1960's. The plot was in some scenes uninteresting, but makes up for it in the strong special effects.
EssenceOfSugarAug 21, 2012
This film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before itThis film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before it descended into chaos. I doubted the film because of its possible childish aspects considering the group of teenage mutants but it also looked dumbed down from the darker X-Men films. Despite this, it managed to produce a stable backstory, there was a cool injection of humour (one scene possibly being unintentional but not in a bad way) and a cameo from a probably lovable rogue makes the film even more special. Expand
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
When I finally did manage to see it a few day ago, I was blown away. The movie is a compelling story about society and trying to fit in. It is a story many of us can relate too. We change or hide ourselves to fit into the world or better yet,When I finally did manage to see it a few day ago, I was blown away. The movie is a compelling story about society and trying to fit in. It is a story many of us can relate too. We change or hide ourselves to fit into the world or better yet, the worldâ Expand
Zanessa250QIApr 4, 2016
...........................................................................................................................A Masterpiece............................
filmtrashreviewJun 8, 2011
The X-Men franchise should have started with this film and saved themselves the embarrassment of making X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This film had everything from an amazing cast and beautiful set to a rare form of comedy mixed with action thatThe X-Men franchise should have started with this film and saved themselves the embarrassment of making X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This film had everything from an amazing cast and beautiful set to a rare form of comedy mixed with action that is lacks in more of these films. The film was a little long but still it is the best dose of superhero your going to get this summer!!! Expand
heeldavidMay 23, 2014
Probably one of the best X-Men movies.Period. Matthew Vaughn made the characters a lot more compelling than the other movies in the franchise. Fine Performances by the cast
Spielberg00Nov 14, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: More â Expand
Potter17Jan 27, 2012
Being able to develop its many characters without interfering with the course of the story, 'X-Men: First Class' is competently acted and possibly the best X-men film yet.
davenbettridgeJul 17, 2011
I went into this movie wondering why the Marvel film studio thought that another Xmen backstory movie was something that needed to be told, and while I still dont think this was a necessary movie, especially as there is so much more thatI went into this movie wondering why the Marvel film studio thought that another Xmen backstory movie was something that needed to be told, and while I still dont think this was a necessary movie, especially as there is so much more that could be done with the present day Xmen stories, what we have here is the best Xmen movie since the very first. McAvoy and Fassbender bring some solid performances, most of the movies pacing is decent and the story interesting with something to care about. Some of the characters are forgettable but the drama of McAvoy and Fassbender bring it back. This movie succeeds in bringing some interest back to the Xmen franchise since the horrid 3rd film and the disappointing Wolverine. Im interested to know where Xmen will be going from here. Recommended for comic book movie fans. Expand
ZerpnosMar 5, 2017
Karakterlerin eski hallerini ve nasıl bu hale geldiklerini anlatan film, aksiyon bakımından gayet yeterli ve verdiği duygularla birlikte izlemesi keyifli bir film.
lovemusicJun 5, 2011
finally a good x men movie. this movie was pretty decent. it was okay. it had more drama than acting. the guy who played magneto did a fantastic job. James mcavoy gave a good performance. good action movie. i enjoyed it.
audreythomas25Mar 4, 2016
I have always been a fan of X-Men since I was little, back when they are just cartoons. I love this film, I think that James is so perfect for his role as Professor X.

Watch this movie online

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1eaaf7-X-Men-First-Class-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
SuperheroMoviesSep 15, 2013
An exceptional prequel to the original X-Men films, First Class delivers with large amounts of vitality, a cast that pulls off their performance immaculately, and a script that handles its source material with a meticulous hand.
MoviebuffreviewJun 19, 2011
X-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life intoX-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life into the franchise and going back to the beginning helps to reboot the franchise, without detaching from the original universe that the other movies took place in. This is a must see of the summer, and the best X-Men of them all. Expand
FDT44Jun 14, 2011
"X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to"X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to welcome new fans in. What viewers will see is a product that embodies the shape of a bona fide origins film, one that gets to the crux of the mutant behind the powers, and occupies the gapping framework of derivation. The result is one that is heavier on ethos and lighter on au courant hoopla. The film owes kudos to a cast that couldn't have been picked with more discretion and vision. Each character knows their role, and each performs it as so. McAvoy and Fassbender really shine though, each man exhibiting a great deal of control and liberation; the execution feels like time well-spent. Lawrence, in support, also continues to establish herself as one of the up-and-coming actresses of our time--not to mention developing an image tantamount to her shape shifter self. Another clever slant I found delighting was a question of mine that I had always tangled with: do the mutants coexist with historical events? The fusion of biopic-fiction is done both adeptly, and for the casual, benighted, social-media American, almost feasibly. This is driven by time-specific (very interesting and effective use of the 60's era) video and audio that enhances the film's presentation. In closing, the fifth (first) installment of the 'X' series is by far the greatest of achievements, superceding anything ever attempted by Ratner, less grave and malicious (more warm and affectionate) than Singer, and much more enjoyable from start to end. Expand
sicranoApr 8, 2016
............................................................................................................................................2 NEGATIVE CRITICS for RETARDED CRITICS
joao1198pedroOct 27, 2013
after a bad movie(origins wolverine)i thought the x-men franchise would decline,i wasn´t expecting anything good but this movie is absolutely great with a good restart.
JuanoloMar 26, 2012
X men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess aX men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess a 9 out of 10. Expand
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
A beleaguered Marvel movie property gets the smart, stylish prequel it deserves.

After undergoing some unfortunate mutations in recent years, a beleaguered Marvel movie property gets the smart, stylish prequel it deserves in “X-Men: First Class.” Reclaiming much of the pop-operatic grandeur and insouciant wit so evident in the series’ first two installments, director/co-writer Matthew Vaughn imagines the rise of Professor X, Magneto and their earliest mutant disciples as a ’60s-set origin story, steeped in Cold War paranoia and served up with a delightful Rat Pack swagger. Strong word of mouth, franchise popularity and the public’s seemingly inexhaustible appetite for comicbook fare should keep “First Class” at a high B.O. altitude worldwide.

The series’ spluttering 2009 foray into how-it-all-began territory with “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” may have tempered audience anticipation for “First Class,” and Vaughn handily exceeds expectations with a picture that may rile Stan Lee purists but should prove entirely engaging for franchise newcomers as well as viewers familiar with the series’ mythology. Both constituencies, however, may be surprised by the degree to which Vaughn manages to invest this unabashedly commercial product with a unique stylistic identity.

Providing a major assist in this regard is Bryan Singer, who hasn’t been involved with the series since he so assuredly directed the first two installments, and who returns here as a producer and story writer (with Sheldon Turner). Singer’s touch is apparent in the film’s very first shot, which expands on the Auschwitz-set prologue of 2000’s “X-Men,” extending the fascination with Nazi iconography Singer evinced in “Valkyrie” and “Apt Pupil.”

When he learns that young camp refugee Erik Lensherr (Bill Milner) has the power to bend metal with his mind, Mengele-like Dr. Schmidt (Kevin Bacon) attempts to harness the boy’s abilities in horrifying fashion. The tragic outcome of this unpleasant, rather ill-advised episode instills in Erik a lifelong thirst for revenge and renders him incapable of summoning his gifts without channeling his rage.

In contrast to the bitter, brooding Erik (played as an adult by Michael Fassbender), dashing Oxford academic Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) envisions a utopian world order in which mutants are able to control their superhuman gifts and coexist with the rest of mankind. Possessing astonishing telepathic abilities and, for now, the full use of his legs, Charles is delightfully presented as a ladies man who turns scientific observations into pick-up lines, to the loving exasperation of his adoptive sister, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence), a shape-shifter who struggles to keep her natural blue-skinned appearance under wraps.

Suspecting malevolent outside interference in the escalating U.S.-Soviet conflict, plucky, pretty CIA agent Moira MacTaggert (Rose Byrne) recruits Charles despite the agency’s hostility toward these strange new beings called mutants. This uneasy alliance ushers in the story’s most dramatic development, in an emotionally surging scene that brings the future Professor X and Magneto together for the first time. Though the ideological differences between Charles’ optimistic empathy and Erik’s cynical superiority couldn’t be more pronounced, the men’s mutual respect leads to friendship, and they band together to build a stronghold of young mutants.

At this point, “First Class” almost comes to resemble a 1960s heist picture by way of a James Bond caper as Charles and Erik assemble their motley crew, hitting up strip clubs, pubs, prisons and other unlikely joints in sequences that thrum with period atmosphere. In setting the classic “X-Men” parable of intolerance and suspicion within a context overshadowed by nuclear paranoia and the Cuban Missile Crisis (which undergoes a major historical rewrite), Vaughn takes full advantage of the milieu’s expressive opportunities. Lenser John Mathieson reinforces the film’s retro orientation with canted camera angles and tracking shots that show off the richness of Chris Seagers’ production design, whether it’s a louche Las Vegas nightclub or a submarine commandeered by Bacon’s renascent villain, now calling himself Sebastian Shaw.

Having taken the superhero subgenre to smart-alecky extremes in “Kick-Ass,” Vaughn shows how much more he’s capable of when he plays this sort of material straight.

Still, it’s remarkable how many things “First Class” gets right, whether it’s the decision to have characters speak different languages as the film’s frequent globe-trotting dictates, or the casting of Fassbender and McAvoy, who bear no resemblance to their respective older counterparts (Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart) but perfectly capture Charles and Erik’s symbolic might-vs.-right dynamic.

Despite a somewhat hefty 130-minute running time, “First Class” feels swift, sleek and remarkably coherent; an even longer, more fully fleshed-out version would not have been unwelcome.
scrieciuJun 14, 2011
The epicness of this superhero movie is just to..... epic. Good acting, good script, good action, it's everything you want in a summer movie, and one of the best in 2011 so far. Also, there was this one scene with Wolverine that was prettyThe epicness of this superhero movie is just to..... epic. Good acting, good script, good action, it's everything you want in a summer movie, and one of the best in 2011 so far. Also, there was this one scene with Wolverine that was pretty hilarious. It was fun to watch the young Charles Xavier having a good time and cruising girls. The story was very intriguing and kept me entertained until the very end. I wasn't really sure what to expect from '' X-Men : First Class ''. It didn't disappointed me. The only thing that bothered me is the way Professor Xavier got paralyse. Other than that, it's a must see ! Expand
RogerSmith97Jun 14, 2011
This Film Is The Worst In The X Men Series.. The Acting Is So So But The Plot BLUCK! Overall I Score This Movie A 4
NecromusDec 29, 2012
A better plot and more entertaining than the Wolverine origins movie, thankfully way better than the piece of crap movie called X3. Finally, one of similar quality to X-Men: Origins and X2. It was interesting to see the origins of Xavier andA better plot and more entertaining than the Wolverine origins movie, thankfully way better than the piece of crap movie called X3. Finally, one of similar quality to X-Men: Origins and X2. It was interesting to see the origins of Xavier and Magneto (I've never read the comics personally so the story was new to me). It had action, great special effects, great character, decent acting and a decent plot, everything I expect from a superhero movie. 10/10 Expand
MooziikMasterJun 26, 2011
This was a surprisingly great movie filled with action, tragedy, and even a bit of love. As far as superhero movies go, this one was amazing. If you are a person that has seen any of the previous X-Men movies, I strongly encourage you to seeThis was a surprisingly great movie filled with action, tragedy, and even a bit of love. As far as superhero movies go, this one was amazing. If you are a person that has seen any of the previous X-Men movies, I strongly encourage you to see this movie because it answers a lot of questions and plot lines for the first 3 movies. Even though I saw the movie in a small, cold theatre, it was a memorable experience. The acting was astounding and what really surprised me was how much Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy look like Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. If you haven't seen this movie or are debating whether you should see it, it is definitely worth it! Expand
KarthXLRJun 3, 2011
While it's story may be told ham-handedly, the characters are fun, the action is thrilling, and it's much better than the last two movies. I have gripes, but I'll get to them later. Saw it at midnight, so I'll finish this up tomorrow.
JTKelleyAug 10, 2012
A perfectly competent action film, nothing more and nothing less. A litany of side characters muddle the plot while Michael Fassbender's performance (lauded by critics) seemed uneven, as his accent changed throughout the film. Moreover,A perfectly competent action film, nothing more and nothing less. A litany of side characters muddle the plot while Michael Fassbender's performance (lauded by critics) seemed uneven, as his accent changed throughout the film. Moreover, while I applaud the four screenwriters (never a good sign) for attempting to intertwine historical events within the plot, the overall dialogue writing remained clumsy and inept. Expand
daviddelnorte23Jun 18, 2017
Los "X-Men" nunca me han llamado la atención, en absoluto. Aun así, quería darle una oportunidad a la saga y ponerme a verla en serio, enterándome y a unas malas, disfrutando de los efectos y acción de un buen blockbuster. Después delLos "X-Men" nunca me han llamado la atención, en absoluto. Aun así, quería darle una oportunidad a la saga y ponerme a verla en serio, enterándome y a unas malas, disfrutando de los efectos y acción de un buen blockbuster. Después del visionado, me parece una buena película, bien construida con un guión que aprovecha muy bien a los personajes y que deja giros y sorpresas hasta el final del largometraje.

Me parece una película esencial para conocer el universo de los mutantes, ya que te explican bastante bien su origen y varios puntos muy interesantes. En mi opinión le falta algo de espectacularidad en la "batalla final".

En conclusión, es una película que no me gusta como las del "otro" universo Marvel, pero que para empezar con los "X-Men" no me ha disgustado para nada. Un notable, 7.
FilmMasterEdJan 6, 2016
Just when you wanted to lighten the memory load on your personal hard drive by deleting the X-Men franchise (yes, The Last Stand and Wolverine sucked that bad), along comes this primal blast of a prequel, a potent reminder of what jazzed usJust when you wanted to lighten the memory load on your personal hard drive by deleting the X-Men franchise (yes, The Last Stand and Wolverine sucked that bad), along comes this primal blast of a prequel, a potent reminder of what jazzed us about Bryan Singer's first two X-Men and the Marvel comics that spawned them. X-Men: First Class, the fifth in the series, is directed by fresh hand Matthew Vaughn, and as Kick-Ass proved, he's a live wire. In this cheerfully perverse origin tale of Magneto, Professor X and their mutant team, Vaughn delivers a fireworks display of action, smarts and fun, plus a touch of class from actors who can really act.

James McAvoy as telepathic Professor X and Michael Fassbender as the metal-bending Magneto are both dynamite. They take roles created, respectively, by Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen and give them an exuberant jolt of youth and flawed ambition. As Oxford brainiac Charles Xavier, McAvoy isn't bald, in a wheelchair or a stuffy utopian. He has one eye on a hot CIA agent (Rose Byrne) and the other on creating a society where young mutants can harness their powers and coexist with humans. This doesn't sit well with Fassbender's Erik Lehnsherr, a Holocaust survivor and the future Magneto, who'd like to see humans heel to mutants. That kind of thing can put a kink in a friendship. Luckily, the boys unite against the film's Dr. Evil, Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon spewing hellfire). Set in 1962, at the height of the Cold War, the prequel dances to an irresistible James Bond vibe that Fassbender runs with in high style (Daniel Craig, watch your back). Did you know the X-Men played a key role in the Cuban Missile Crisis? You will now.

Trouble spots? Too many young mutants means that too few register. But Jennifer Lawrence, Katniss in the upcoming Hunger Games, defines bombshell as Raven, Xavier's adoptive sister, who shape-shifts into the blue-skinned Mystique or anyone else she fancies. Catch her in Magneto's bed – yowsa! Props to Nicholas Hoult for giving a deep-well gravity to the cerebral Hank McCoy even as he morphs into Beast. And January Jones spins her Betty Draper cool into diamond-hard ice shards as Emma Frost, Shaw's accomplice. So who cares about plot holes and a few tacky effects? Go, mutants! You just made this summer movie the badass place to be.
allystewJun 3, 2011
If like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stoodIf like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stood out in Xmen history is the universal themes which everybody can connect with. The acting is great and McAvoy and Fassbender are standouts. Great action scenes and a good story so for fans (treated to some great cameos) or casual movie goer this is worth a watch. Expand
AutiTakahashiMay 25, 2012
Remember the X-Men movie right before this one? You know, the one about the origins of Wolverine? I don't/ My guess is that Hugh Jackman doesn't either. If he does, I can almost be sure that he's at least trying. "X-Men: First Class",Remember the X-Men movie right before this one? You know, the one about the origins of Wolverine? I don't/ My guess is that Hugh Jackman doesn't either. If he does, I can almost be sure that he's at least trying. "X-Men: First Class", directed by Matthew Vaughn, is a prequel that shows us how the presence of mutants became known to humans, and how they responded to each other's impressions. This can also be identified as a 130-minute apology to "Wolverine." The film's first minutes are located in a nasty Nazi prison camp. The mother of young Eric is separated from him. He gets angry, and the steel gate between him and his mother seem to respond. (It's moving by itself!) This odd occurrence is immediately noticed by Sebastian Shaw, who later succeeds in forcing the power out of Eric by killing his mother. Once again in anger, Eric causes all sorts of metals to hurl through the air. The wooden chairs sigh in relief. The sequence described above features the finest moments of "X-Men: First Class." It is there where we are introduced to the young man who will one day be famously recognzied as Magneto. Shortly, we recall familiar names such as Charles (Professor X) and Raven (Mystique), but not at first sight. There is a curious connection between the two. They seem to be really close to one another. So close, in fact, that we wonder about the lack of communication between them in the "previous" X-Men movies. Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/xmen-class/ Expand
NJWolfgangMar 4, 2012
The only thing about this film that redeemed it was the brief scene with Hugh Jackman where he tells them to well he just does and they should have all listened.
AtTheMoviesJun 16, 2011
A fantastic return to greatness for this franchise that I thought dead. With strong performances from the entire cast, fantastic special effects, and a great plot, First Class is by far the best X-Men film.
Castiel_AngelOct 15, 2016
This is even worse than X-Men: Apocalypse! This story line was unbelievably stupid and boring. I nearly fell asleep at least 3 different times watching this out of boredom. Why I suffered through the entire length of this movie I will neverThis is even worse than X-Men: Apocalypse! This story line was unbelievably stupid and boring. I nearly fell asleep at least 3 different times watching this out of boredom. Why I suffered through the entire length of this movie I will never understand. Expand
JamesCannonJul 25, 2014
All the xmen have been poorly handled in my opinion. They have the worst casts, they bring in mutants that were completely irrelevant in the comic books. They seem like they are made by committees of people who don't really read the comics.All the xmen have been poorly handled in my opinion. They have the worst casts, they bring in mutants that were completely irrelevant in the comic books. They seem like they are made by committees of people who don't really read the comics. I hate every single one of them. This one was probably the one I hated the least though and is somewhat entertaining in places. Expand
jos95Oct 28, 2011
This is by far the best film of the series! It's fast, well acted and scripted. Isn't exactly true to the comics but the last two films could be blamed for hurting this one. Now that Wolverine is no longer the center of attention, we get toThis is by far the best film of the series! It's fast, well acted and scripted. Isn't exactly true to the comics but the last two films could be blamed for hurting this one. Now that Wolverine is no longer the center of attention, we get to see more of the rest of the mutants. The story line is very strong and goes back to what made the first two films classics, and what made the last two disasters. The visual effects are jaw-dropping and the cast are astounding, especially Michael Fassbender as Magneto and James McAvoy as Prof. X. Jennifer Lawrence is also very good as Mystique and can't wait to see her as Katniss in The Hunger Games! It did get a bit cliched in spots but it's definitely a return to form for the X-Men films. Expand
FIlmsareawesomeAug 31, 2011
My Favourite X-Men Movie. This was definitely the best one, i though the story was very original, I mean bringing the origins of each mutant and that kind of stuff (the way that the characters become throw out the movies), i did like it aMy Favourite X-Men Movie. This was definitely the best one, i though the story was very original, I mean bringing the origins of each mutant and that kind of stuff (the way that the characters become throw out the movies), i did like it a lot, and the casting was just perfect, James McAvoy. Michael Fassbander, Jennifer Lawrence and January Jones, amazing. Expand
jppl1999Dec 16, 2013
Surprising movie, I thought it would be worst. It gives a fresh start to the X-men zaga. The majority of the performances were great and created an interesting, but sometimes unclear movie.
fadithebeastJan 19, 2017
Disappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess withDisappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess with not even half way through the movie. Expand
ElectroNickMay 31, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "X-Men: First Class" was a nice step in the right direction to revive the X-Men franchise. This film serves as both a prequel and a reboot as we see how the X-men are first formed and the beginning of the rivalry between Magneto and Xavier. The set-up is new but familiar as the new actors perfectly capture the essence of these characters very well. Jennifer Lawrence in particular captures the loneliness of Mystique as she is portrayed in a more sympathetic light as opposed to being the generic assassin. Her relationship with Xavier and Magneto is compelling to watch as she is unsure what to think and the final choice to join Magneto is genuinely heart-wrenching. Xavier is given more depth as he is younger and more careless in this film due to his inexperience being the leader of the X-Men. Magneto is still the humanity hating villain as he was in the other films but this was the first time audiences are introduced to him having a conflict between his own ideals and ideals. In fact the film is at its strongest points when it focuses on Xavier and Magneto's relationship as they have a strong respect for one another which makes the break up all the more heart-breaking. I also respect the decision to have the titular "First Class" be comprised of more obscure mutants such as Banshee and Pixie. This gives fans of these characters a chance to finally see them on the big screen and average audience members some more variety with the mutants on screen and each of these mutants are memorable. However there are a few problems with this film that keeps it from being even better. For instance the new mutant Darwin had potential to be an interesting character with his ability to adapt to any environment but he is instantly killed off which was a waste. The new characters are memorable but there back story is swept under the rug which would make causal fans of the franchise confused in regards to who they are. Kevin Bacon tries to play as the slimy Sebastion Shaw but Bacon is just one of those actors who is known for playing the nice guy and his performance is pretty unconvincing. Despite these flaws this film is a nice renewal for the franchise and can introduce new comers to the franchise. Expand
KayakMar 4, 2014
Apart from the flat supporting characters and a few doses of overly cheesy dialogue, this film is at the top end of superhero movies. A script which makes you toss and turn sides throughout the film is commendable and some truly great actingApart from the flat supporting characters and a few doses of overly cheesy dialogue, this film is at the top end of superhero movies. A script which makes you toss and turn sides throughout the film is commendable and some truly great acting from McAvoy and Fassbender. Easily the best X-Men film and recommendable to all. Expand
ZaynhewsonjavadApr 2, 2016
A Masterpiece.......................................................................

An X-Men Refresh of Franchise, Matthew Vaughn is a genius.................,,
PurpleUrpNov 15, 2011
ZiggyStardustJun 15, 2011
Wow. Fassbender and McAvoy did a great job of portraying the dynamics and the relationship of Erik Lehnsherr and Charles Xavier. Very enjoyable movie and a great piece of film, considering the time table the director had to work with.
jacob4Nov 19, 2015
A great fresh new start on the X-men franchise! This movie got fans excited for the X-men again and made them almost forget about the mess from X-men 3 and X-men Origins: The Wolverine. A great new and lovable cast of young actors andA great fresh new start on the X-men franchise! This movie got fans excited for the X-men again and made them almost forget about the mess from X-men 3 and X-men Origins: The Wolverine. A great new and lovable cast of young actors and actresses bring the X-men to life in a fun new re-imagining. The action is awesome, the comedy is good, the CGI and special effects are amazing, and X-men is back from the dumps! Expand
vernJun 19, 2011
X-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies ifX-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies if you haven't yet, and if you're not, it's at least worth renting. Expand