7.8

1. Jan 24, 2012
    I am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian, Fassbender stole the show as Magneto, and McAvoy was solid as Xavier but I thought someone else could have played the role better. The plot is good and as II am suprised critics hated this film. This film explained a ton of backstory to the franchise and it explained it in a way where even die hard fans would be satisfied with it. The acting was good. Kevin Bacon was an amazing villian, Fassbender stole the show as Magneto, and McAvoy was solid as Xavier but I thought someone else could have played the role better. The plot is good and as I said explains a lot of backstory to the entire Xmen franchise. I loved it. Expand
  2. Jun 7, 2011
    This prequel details how the mutant coalition got started. After Professor X and Magneto discover each other, they set about recruiting young people with special powers (some of which are pretty inane). It starts out promisingly with compelling backstory and interesting characters, but soon barrels into predictability and noisy videogame combat. While some of the effects manage to dazzle,This prequel details how the mutant coalition got started. After Professor X and Magneto discover each other, they set about recruiting young people with special powers (some of which are pretty inane). It starts out promisingly with compelling backstory and interesting characters, but soon barrels into predictability and noisy videogame combat. While some of the effects manage to dazzle, others are just dumb. Overall, it's not bad, but not in any way outstanding. Expand
  3. Oct 13, 2011
    It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship, it portrays them as friends who benefit from each other, and also makes Magneto a much more sympathetic character who you just can't help but feel for,It's nice to see an X-Men movie that focuses on all the Mutants in the movie not just Wolverine, and that's the best part of this movie, the characters, particularly Charles and Eric's (better known as Professor X and Magneto) relationship, it portrays them as friends who benefit from each other, and also makes Magneto a much more sympathetic character who you just can't help but feel for, another noteworthy character is Mystique who's story is excellently crafted, and you can see that the writers put a lot of thought into it, and even tied it into historical events, but it's not really memorable, same goes for the action scenes, there just not all that interesting, and the whole movie outside of the fantastic characters just lacks any sort of pop or flare, and it doesn't really tie in well withe the other movies, but if you want to see different sides of your favorite characters, this is the movie for you, and in my opinion the best X-Men movie yet. Expand
  4. Mar 17, 2013
    Even though X-Men: First Class was well executed, had a solid production, above average acting, and a decent story, I couldn't help to notice that I have never sat through a longer 2 hour film in my life.
  5. Sep 21, 2011
    "X Men: First Class", similar to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", is a movie that presents the origin of its subject to the audience. Its a good summer blockbuster flick, but its over-concentration on the raging battle between two separate sides (Mutants v.s Bad guys) may leave some audiences baffled or annoyed.
  6. Feb 22, 2013
    I never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questions for the fans of the movie, who don't follow the comics, and it is one blockbuster film that more than lives up to its hype. From the special effectsI never read a comic book and when I saw the first X-Men film, I was intrigued, but confused. Throughout the trilogy, I always thought I was missing a lot of the story and this is it. First Class is the missing link that will answer questions for the fans of the movie, who don't follow the comics, and it is one blockbuster film that more than lives up to its hype. From the special effects to the make-up and finally to the actors this film is amazing. Movies like this never win awards, but you will be hard pressed to find better performances than those of James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender. The whole cast was terrific, the story was fantastic, and the special effects were truly out of this world. This is a great film and I'm craving more. I can't wait to see what connections the next forty years bring between first class and the trilogy. When it's all said and done, I hope I can watch all these films and truly understand the whole story. Expand
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    Personally my favorite X-Men movie mainly because unlike most of the other X-Men movies this film has strong character development especially with Xavier and Magneto.
  8. Mar 17, 2013
    While there were definitely promising qualities and scenes, most of the movie was never engrossing to watch. This might sound like an oxymoron, but the best way to describe the film would to call it an interesting bore.
  9. Apr 27, 2012
    Mathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink your teeth into. A real revelation here is Michael Fassbender, who plays Magnito with a brutal elegance. It makes me want to see a lot more of Magnito inMathew Vaughn does a fantastic job with X Men: First Class by infusing it with the same irresistible energy as his previous outing Kick Ass. The script also packs a descent punch and there are a ton of memorable quotes and scenes to sink your teeth into. A real revelation here is Michael Fassbender, who plays Magnito with a brutal elegance. It makes me want to see a lot more of Magnito in the future. Overall, First Class is an excellent movie that is easily on par with the classic X2. Expand
  10. Jun 3, 2011
    Much of the movie is fun, exciting, and dramatic (the first half), but the second half just becomes- to borrow the word used by a couple pro critics - tedious. January Jones and Kevin Bacon actually bring a lot to the table, which was completely unexpected. (If only some idiot didn't shout "Kevin Bacon!" every time he opened a scene at my midnight show - followed by giggles). And JamesMuch of the movie is fun, exciting, and dramatic (the first half), but the second half just becomes- to borrow the word used by a couple pro critics - tedious. January Jones and Kevin Bacon actually bring a lot to the table, which was completely unexpected. (If only some idiot didn't shout "Kevin Bacon!" every time he opened a scene at my midnight show - followed by giggles). And James McAvoy is terrific. Based on his prior performances, I expected more from Michael Fassbender, though. He was so good in FishTank and Inglourious Basterds, but he feels a little wasted here. Setting it in the 60's is effective, but The Watchmen (another "period piece") just felt SO much more authentic and engaging to me - the story had more focus. The X-Men: FC story is just a little too scattered and untethered. There are some fun cameos, incidentally. And do not bother to sit through the end credits - there's nothing there. Bummer. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2011
    I don't think that it is the best X-Men film, but it opens a new door for the franchise. Professor X and Magneto have better personalities in this X-Men, which really improves the story itself.
  12. Aug 24, 2014
    I was fully prepared to hate this movie, no denying that. I can't say I'm a die hard fan, but I used to read all the X-Men comics that were published in my home country, Finland, and although that isn't all that's been published in USA, I had a pretty solid idea about what was supposed to happen, and who would be in a movie like this.

Either my memory is getting rusty in all the right

Either my memory is getting rusty in all the right places, or mixing up people, background, ages and timelines didn't really do much damage to this movie - because it rocked!

A bit uneven in pace (having a very calm training-the-kids moment in the middle which kind of halts the action that's been happening so far). I did, however, fully appreciate the fact that they used the same clip in the beginning as they did in the first X-Men film back in 2000.

The cast was... well, it was either good or rather insignificant. The choice of James McAvoy as Charles Xavier was a little odd, but he grew on you. Michael Fassbender was pretty good as future Magneto. Kevin Bacon totally rocked as Sebastian Shaw, and under all that make-up, Jason Flemyng as Azazel was probably the most impressive one of them all to watch.

Charles and Eric took center stage, with Shaw, and everyone else shrank back, being less and less important. Sure, they did their part, but it seemed they just sort of... hung back and tried to create little issues of their own (which were many and meaningful, considering the overall themes, but that still wasn't enough to make them shine).

The action was good, the special effects were awesome, and the emotional depth was just right. Small details like names and faces *cough*Wolverine*cough* - and Magneto's helmet - were thrown around, which was awesome.

So, as much as I prepared to hate this film, I have to admit I shall be watching it again, and even hope they'll continue with this version of the X-Men universe, because they are off to a rather good start.
  13. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent, I loved it. I was expecting something more like Wolverine, but this was a fantastic movie. Not only a brilliant addition to the X-Men series, but it's the best of the series!

The reason I say that this is the best of the series is because it delivers in more areas than the previous films did...First Class is very deep. For once I felt for the characters, I actually cared about what happened to them and how they interacted with each other. Credit must go to the cast because their performances contributed to this, especially James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. McAvoy gives a great performance as Professor X, and Fassbender is incredible as Magneto. (You will see Erik/Magneto in a whole new light). My favorite scene in the entire film is actually not an action scene, but the highly emotional diologue between McAvoy and Fassbender with moving the satelitte...also the end of the final action scene. Those two scenes alone add SO much to the film and trilogy. I can't explain it all, but this is truly a great addition to the series.

And...of course the action was awesome! The visuals were excellent and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I love action movie blockbusters and First Class delivered.

I cannot recommend this film enough! It's my favorite of the year so far. Action + Drama = X-Men First Class = Great Film!
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    This was a surprisingly excellent film, when you hear the term 'reboot' or 'prequel', there isnt much of a rapturous applause, but First Class felt like wondrous step in the right direction.
    Starting off in 1944 we see the emergence of Erik Lensherr later known as Magneto, who witnesses the death of his mother after Dr Klaus Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is aware of Lensherr's mutant capabilities.
    A long way away from Lensherr's woes in a concentration camp, we see a child Charles Xavier, later Professor X getting acquainted with a young Raven Darkholme, who you may no better as the blue shape-shifter Mistique.
    Fast-forward to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, we see Xavier (James McAvoy) far from how we know him, a womanising Oxford graduate who is smooth-talking and charming, tagging along behind him is Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).
    Meanwhile, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is killing his way through those who tortured him in the past, running into his soon-to-be friend Xavier.
    Thus sets off quite a retro yet whirlwind of entertainment with an ensemble cast including Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, January Jones and uncredited yet brilliantly simple and hilarious cameo from a familiar mutant.
    What was most interesting about First Class was its uniqueness from it trilogy counterpart, it didn't feel similar to them at all, and this was good, its creating its own path, and what an enjoyable path it was. Groundbreaking special effects, particularly a scene of Magneto lifting a submarine out of the water with his manipulation ability of metal.
    Personally, it was the excellently scripted film that was of particular enjoyment, the large ensemble cast feels fresh, and the film isnt afraid to take risks, big egos, big music and large set pieces have set up what could be a very successful and enjoyable chapter in the large world of X-Men.
    The performances of the two leads in McAvoy and Fassbender are fantastically unique, filling big shoes from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, they superbly bring their own youth and charisma to the roles, while maintaining the strained relationship that these two mutant heavyweights share.
    Absolutely brilliant and well-thought prequel to a successful franchise, let it continue.
  15. Jun 4, 2011
    There are moments of brilliance in X-Men: First Class, it has to be said. The re-creation of the first film's opening is a strong, and unexpected start. The scenes where the mutant team is being formed, and trained, are also extremely fun. Nicholas Hoult, playing a young beast, and Jennifer Lawrence, playing a young Mystique are surprising highlights, both bringing real emotion and empathyThere are moments of brilliance in X-Men: First Class, it has to be said. The re-creation of the first film's opening is a strong, and unexpected start. The scenes where the mutant team is being formed, and trained, are also extremely fun. Nicholas Hoult, playing a young beast, and Jennifer Lawrence, playing a young Mystique are surprising highlights, both bringing real emotion and empathy to their respective blue characters. Kevin Bacon has fun as the movie's main villain and James McAvoy is a convincing, and slightly more mischievous younger Professor X. Michael Fassbender also delivers a spellbinding performance, and really manages to get across why Magneto becomes the man he does - it's just such a shame that he occasionally slips back into his natural Irish dialect in several of the more dramatic moments. The characters are all likable, the story well-enough told. It's only a few clunkily delivered lines, and a quite frankly ridiculous finale (even by comic book standards) that verges on spoiling the movie. There is, however, enough to entertain, and more than enough fan-boy references to make First-Class a worthwhile watch, and in the closing minutes Vaughn undoubtedly sets up a promising sequel... Expand
  16. Jul 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel is still alive. The eighty-two-year-old author, best known for "Night", a slim novel about his experiences in the concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald, is also widely known to be a vocal critic of the way the Nazi genocide of the Jews gets portrayed in the media. When NBC broadcasted the miniseries "Holocaust" in 1978, he called the television film "morally objectionable and indecent". As an addendum to Wiesel's assertion of television trivializing the six-million dead by filming the unfilmable, cultural historian Neal Gabler in "Imaginary Witness", agrees that the genocide narrative goes "beyond any traditional form," in which any depiction of the pogrom carried out by the Nazis is "a war between narrative and history". Has Wiesel seen "Inglourious Basterds", the 2009 film where narrative wins the war from the outset, since WWII gets reinvented by a post-modernist who utilizes the Jews as subordinates to a parallel history: movie history, which runs concurrent with their story of persecution, death, and in this case, revenge? Bypassing the iconography of victimization(ghettos, concentration camps) found in all Nazi-themed films, the Jews fight back in Tarantino's alternate take on WWII, as the film instead chooses to focus on a Hebrew commando team that specializes in the capturing and torturing of German POWs with gruesome acts of mutilation. While all holocaust-driven are largely predicated on large-scale killing and mass suffering, "Inglourious Basterds" has a filmic precedent that goes all the way back to the early-forties, an epoch when a Nazi-sympathizing Hollywood very rarely dealt honestly with the imminent German menace, but Charlie Chaplin directed, produced, and starred in "The Great Dictator", the first film about the imperiled Jews that mentioned them by name. Playing a barber who returns to the ghetto after a lengthy bout of amnesia, Chaplin fights the stormtroopers with slapstick, where in one scene, he dares to slap a soldier with a paintbrush, whitening the Aryan's face in the process, after the Jew balks at having to reproduce the 'W' in his race's namesake which he smudged off from a storefront window. Even better, Hannah, the Bear-Jew of her day, rather than swing a bat, whacks Nazis on the head, hard, with a frying pan. After her small victory, she tells the barber, "We should all fight back." In "X-Men: First Class", the filmmaker returns to Poland, 1944, where in the 2000 original, Magneto, then just a scared boy named Erik, reduces a gate into an iron heap through the unleashing of his telekinetic powers. For Wiesel, the comic book is the stuff of juvenilia. But to a younger generation, the comic book is viewed as the novel's equal, in which they would see no difference between "Night" and the Marvel origin story where the concentration camp setting of the scene is based on. By reappropriating the violence inherent in Nazi Germany through a comic book-based language, the "X-Men" saga challenges the hegemony of traditional film adaptations. A Nazi scientist named Sebastian shoots Eric's mother dead, which is par for the course in any film dealing with the holocaust, but unlike "Schindler's List", the shooting itself isn't the spectacle; it's the preamble to the summer movie pageant of CGI, as the traumatized boy inverts the file cabinet in the office, and sends objects flying around in the adjoining room. For all its contemporary trappings, in which "X-Men: First Class" borrows a Jewish trope that Tarantino himself pioneered(the holocaust survivor antihero), Erik kills Nazis in a film that's surprisingly reactionary, since it avoids using the word "Jew" to describe the people that he's avenging. It's coded. Whereas a WWII-era film such as "The Mortal Storm" substituted the racial label with the less-specific term "anti-Semitic", likewise, the "X-Men" saga uses "mutant" in place of the "J"-word in identifying Magneto as a Hebrew, perhaps for the reason that Hollywood wants to distance itself from its complicity in regard to the US government's isolationist stance leading up to the Pearl Harbor bombing. Interestingly enough, Chaplin wears a bucket which recalls the helmet Magneto is often outfitted with, in a scene where the barber and the SS officer hide themselves on a roof to escape capture. "Strange, I always thought of you as an Aryan," he tells the barber in an earlier scene, where the Nazi puts a stop to a ghetto liquidation already in progress. In essence, that's what Eric has become, both a Jew and a "great dictator"(Chaplin also plays the Fuhrer). Just before Magneto makes his getaway by helicopter in "X-Men", there's a cutaway to the American flag, a symbol that gains greater significance in the film's climax, where the magnetic field that he creates from the Statue of Liberty, has the potential of turning New York into one great crematorium. Expand
  17. May 22, 2012
    Even though it was well executed, solid production, good acting, and a decent story, I must be coming off the genre and strating to be tired of films based on comics or prequels to good films. Saying that, I am anxious to see the new Batman (film based on comic) and the Prometheus (prequel to Alien). In that case it must be the film that just didn't win me.
  18. Jan 4, 2013
    As a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR too many liberties and makes very little sense. Kevin Bacon did a good job with Sebastian Shaw's character and portrays him well, but just did notAs a stand alone film, completely ignoring canon, it's pretty decent. Anyone not knowing a thing about the series outside of the movies will likely highly enjoy it. But, as an avid fan of the comic book series, this movie just takes FAR too many liberties and makes very little sense. Kevin Bacon did a good job with Sebastian Shaw's character and portrays him well, but just did not represent (visually) him that well (not to mention his horrific German. His pronunciation was extremely cringe worthy to anyone who speaks German.) McAvoy & Fassbender are fantastic in their roles and do an almost perfect job of showing Magneto & Xavier in their early days. Everyone else ....... can just be forgotten. I thought this movie is made purely for entertainment and it seems to me that very little thought went into its writing, at least in terms of being true to its source material. While I appreciate what they were trying to do, they should have rather sold it as a reboot rather than a prequel to the other movies. Overall: A huge disappointment to fans of the original comics, but very good for everyone else. (At least it was better than Last Stand.) Expand
  19. Jun 6, 2011
    For me, it was good but not as good as the first two. Hugh Jackman's sense of humor is missing in this installment. In fact, the 10 second cameo by Hugh Jackman in this film was my favorite part of the entire movie. Mostly drama and good to great special effects. Overall a solid effort, but not particularly memorable.
  20. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On the whole I enjoyed this film. I will admit that the film drags a bit and is confusing to start off with and that the plot is rushed a bit for the sake of tying it into the other films; but I feel that we still got some good stuff. The redeeming factor of this film is the take on the characters specifically Xavier, Magneto, and Mistique. I enjoyed watching these characters and cared about some of them more so than the original X-Men. Even though this plot feels condencesed I still would like to see another movie with these characters, which it looks like we will be getting sort of with X-Men Days of Future Past, which will hopefully will be good. If you’re a fan of the X-Men movies check this one out because you may like it. Even if you are not a fan of the previous ones I am going to say watch it because it is different from the other ones. It provides an interesting take on characters we know and love and is enjoyable. Again what ruins it is the rushed ending but if you look past that you will enjoy the film. Is this a great film no but it is a good one, which is something that a lot of movies cannot be. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2014
    The best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense action sequences, you simply have a great movie.
  22. Mar 16, 2015
    After a great first movie, an even better sequel, a disappointing third film, and a completely unnecessary origin story, the X-Men's return is in full form with First Class, a successful reboot that also works just as well as an exceptional prequel.
  23. Feb 25, 2012
    I Love this reboot of X-Men, because have much incredible elements, for example, the characters have a great story, the effects wow, are awesome, the direction is incredible. Really First Class is amazing.
  24. Jun 10, 2013
    X-men first class is the best x-men movie ever made. Deal with it. It has great action and story. The effects are impressive and it's the best one. Matthew Vughn did an excellent work after kick-ass
  25. Oct 27, 2014
    Lead by excellent performances from James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender, First Class, does a good job of crafting the origins of the X-Men seen in previous movies. Admittedly it doesn’t do anything particularly different to many of the other Marvel movies, and the plot arguably jumps around a little too much, but fans of the superhero genre won’t be disappointed by what they see here.
  26. Nov 13, 2013
    A breath of fresh air to the X-Men series and the strengths in character development are great. My only problem with this film is the lack of a real punch as the end drags a bit.
  27. Nov 26, 2011
    This film was easily tied for the best Xmen film. First Class is a great prequel with a great cast, The acting is wonderful. The entire film is interesting from start to finish as well.
  28. Jun 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very enjoyable prequel to the X-Men franchise. I loved Wolverine's cameo! Although, the plot holes this movie created made me take away two points. Still, at least it's no X-Men 3. Expand
  29. Jun 12, 2013
    Definitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. The CIA agent laying her burden on Xavier was very convenient, and there was no need for the romance angle. Mystique and Beast should have been exploredDefinitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. The CIA agent laying her burden on Xavier was very convenient, and there was no need for the romance angle. Mystique and Beast should have been explored more. In the absence of Wolverine, the more physical mutants seemed to be clearly lacking. But the downward spiral is really reversed by the focus on Magneto and Professor X, which was the strongest point about the film. Expand
  30. Jun 12, 2011
    Best X-Men film released to date. This movie was great. The acting was excellent. James McAvoy was a perfect Professor X with his witty humor and high intelligence and Michael Fassbender played Magneto very well with his sinister attitude. I saw nothing negative about this film, it deserves higher than a 65 by critics. I wasn't ever a huge X-Men fan reading the comics or anything but I didBest X-Men film released to date. This movie was great. The acting was excellent. James McAvoy was a perfect Professor X with his witty humor and high intelligence and Michael Fassbender played Magneto very well with his sinister attitude. I saw nothing negative about this film, it deserves higher than a 65 by critics. I wasn't ever a huge X-Men fan reading the comics or anything but I did enjoy the films very much, besides The Last Stand. This addition to the series is most definitely the best. The acting was good, the action was astonishing, the CGI, and the makeup was great. I loved how they built up the story of our two main mutants, Magneto and Professor X. It worked very well, learning how it all began. I especially loved the bald jokes with Professor X, that was very funny. This movie was more than I expected. It was just a great superhero film but an amazing film period. 10/10 in my opinion. Expand
  31. Jul 26, 2011
    Strong script, touching performance, good direction, cool music and intense action. X-Men: First Class is the perfect summer trip and one of great movies this year. Full review: http://bit.ly/qtDmH2
  32. Dec 3, 2011
    As a huge X-men fan (comics,animation,movies) im gonna say it was really good . Pro. X and Magneto's past has been showed very well . it was a good script and the actors did amazing job . James was so good being pro X . To me Michael's acting as Magneto was the best thing in this movie. He made this role perfect for him . aslo Kevin did an amazing work too . also Rose , January , JenniferAs a huge X-men fan (comics,animation,movies) im gonna say it was really good . Pro. X and Magneto's past has been showed very well . it was a good script and the actors did amazing job . James was so good being pro X . To me Michael's acting as Magneto was the best thing in this movie. He made this role perfect for him . aslo Kevin did an amazing work too . also Rose , January , Jennifer . But sometimes in the film it felt like it was in 21th sanctuary nit in 1962 . Like the CSI buildings and Shaw's room . Overall its a perfect prequel and looking forward to see two more . P.S. : One of the top most awesome Part/Scene in movie was "Get The F*** Out " . it made me realize (again)How much i missed Huge Jack-man in this film ! Expand
  33. Oct 16, 2014
    Incredible.
    This film is almost greater than the original X-Men movies, so spectacular!
    Incredible.
    This film is almost greater than the original X-Men movies, so spectacular!

The first thing that totally made me love this movie is that there’s always something going on, it just kept going and going and I love it. Another thing is the video editing, it’s so unique and professional. There’s also many unique things that totally surprised me, which made the film superb! X-Men: First Class is a wonderful prequel film that totally is greater than the original, and there’s not many directors that have been successful with that in recent years. The story is awesome, it’s so deep and well thought-out. Aside from that is First Class a very entertaining film that got an awesome opening scene and ending. The soundtrack is another aspect of the film that truly is insanely great, Henry Jackman is from now on one of my favorite composers.

Even though it's an incredible film, it got some downsides like vague CGI and some less great actors, but it’s still one of my favorite movies of all time.

One of the best prequel films in history.

X-men: First Class get a 8.8/10
  34. Jun 13, 2011
    Another great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail. My only criticism would be that we don't see much exhibition of the mutants' powers, which is what these films are all about. One could argue that theAnother great X-Men film! McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent! This franchise continues to satisfy veteran fans and new fans alike. The film's story is elegantly intertwined in our nation's history with great finesse and attention to detail. My only criticism would be that we don't see much exhibition of the mutants' powers, which is what these films are all about. One could argue that the reasoning for this is that they are young, amateur, and under-developed with their powers, but with the shock and awe nature of these films, most audiences don't have that kind of time after 20 mins. Expand
  35. Feb 22, 2013
    First Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from militaryFirst Class is one of the strongest, if not the most enjoyable, members of the X-men film franchise. It's plot is perhaps overly congested, dealing with a range of characters going through the self-doubt and insecurities of being 'different' on top of the relationship between Charles and Erik in addition to stopping Schmidt from causing the Cuban Missile Crisis from going from military stand-off to full blown war. As usual with X-Men, too many characters are included purely for bodies in the fight scenes. Step forward Angel, Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Azazel and Riptide. Avengers leads the way in accommodating a group of major superheroes without shoehorning wafer-thin characters for cannon fodder. Special mentions for January Jones, who gives the flattest, monotone performance I can remember as the Schmidt's female sidekick, Emma Frost and Kevin Bacon, for performing scenes in German and Russian! On to the positives......Michael Fassbender. It is not often you associate a superhero movie with powerhouse performances, but Fassbender's intense, brooding portrayal of Erik, hinting at the flaws that ultimately come to the surface as Magneto, is just that, and is a joy to watch. Only a few leagues below (and given Fassbender's performance this is still high praise) is James McAvoy's performance as Charles Xavier.

All things said and done, First Class is an enjoyable action film, benefiting from some excellent actors and the curiosity attached to seeing younger versions of familiar characters.
  36. Jun 8, 2012
    2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy,2011 is a year filled with surprises. Films that were supposed to be good are mediocre at best. Movies such as X Men First Class and Rise of the Apes, which are supposed to flop big time turned out to be the best blockbusters for the season. After the abysmal X Men Origins: Wolverine, I thought that the X-Men franchise was gone for good. With a strong and younger cast, a lot of energy, great set pieces and above all, a lot of heart and soul, X Men First Class became one of the best film of the year. Expand
  37. Sep 15, 2011
    its not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with . proffersor x , magneto , beast , raven , frost , and who ever kevin bacon is suppose to be are great. the rest how ever are just lame . if your a fan of theits not a bad x-men film far better then 3 thats for sure. the story is pretty good . the acting is pretty solid, the action and effects look pretty good. what kind of wrecks the film is the bunch of lame ass x-men they came up with . proffersor x , magneto , beast , raven , frost , and who ever kevin bacon is suppose to be are great. the rest how ever are just lame . if your a fan of the other 3 films you will probubly like this one as well. over all i enjoyed most of it. Expand
  38. Jul 21, 2012
    This film was fantastic in places but lacked a unity in direction to be truly amazing. The franchise needed to improve upon X3 and Wolverine, which were clearly the two worst films of the series so far, and in this origin story, they found a film to help them to rise from the ashes in a better way than Jean Grey did in the third film. Matthew Vaughn was clearly the correct choice asThis film was fantastic in places but lacked a unity in direction to be truly amazing. The franchise needed to improve upon X3 and Wolverine, which were clearly the two worst films of the series so far, and in this origin story, they found a film to help them to rise from the ashes in a better way than Jean Grey did in the third film. Matthew Vaughn was clearly the correct choice as director and I look forward to watching his future endeavours. Expand
  39. Jun 9, 2011
    I think that created the script so you do not have a relationship with the other tapes of x-men, there were unexplained parts, parts of poor quality film, I liked the music, parts of the script out of order .. expected so much more
  40. Jun 3, 2011
    Insanely entertaining, largely due to the chemistry and charisma of Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. The story is fun, energetic and fast-paced. The 60s setting is a welcome change of pace for the superhero genre, and I won't be surprised if its costumes and art direction receive Oscar attention. It certainly would help to be familiar with the X-Men universe to fully appreciateInsanely entertaining, largely due to the chemistry and charisma of Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. The story is fun, energetic and fast-paced. The 60s setting is a welcome change of pace for the superhero genre, and I won't be surprised if its costumes and art direction receive Oscar attention. It certainly would help to be familiar with the X-Men universe to fully appreciate everything, but this is pure summer fun. Expand
  41. Jun 3, 2011
    A combination of the Chris Claremont/John Byrne years, Children of the Atom and the Christopher Yost years of New X-Men, X-Men: First Class brings back Bryan Singer, this time as writer and producer, leaving the director work to "Kick-Ass" director, Matthew Vaughan. Combined with a perfect casting Magneto, Professor X, Mystique, Sebastian Shaw and a surprisingly good Emma Frost, this isA combination of the Chris Claremont/John Byrne years, Children of the Atom and the Christopher Yost years of New X-Men, X-Men: First Class brings back Bryan Singer, this time as writer and producer, leaving the director work to "Kick-Ass" director, Matthew Vaughan. Combined with a perfect casting Magneto, Professor X, Mystique, Sebastian Shaw and a surprisingly good Emma Frost, this is the best ensemble and story in the franchise so far. Even better than X2, which I never thought could be topped, especially after the franchise-ruining Brett Ratner debacle. Hardcore fans will love every minute. Expand
  42. Aug 23, 2011
    Une bonne surprise que ce X-Men : le Commencement car il est ce que peu espéraient, c'est-à-dire le meilleur film actuel de la saga. Il est vrai que cet opus laisse légèrement de côté l'action, mais c'est pour mieux se préoccuper des personnages, qui sont approfondis comme rarement (je penseUne bonne surprise que ce X-Men : le Commencement car il est ce que peu espéraient, c'est-à-dire le meilleur film actuel de la saga. Il est vrai que cet opus laisse légèrement de côté l'action, mais c'est pour mieux se préoccuper des personnages, qui sont approfondis comme rarement (je pense notamment à Xavier, Magneto, Mystique et le Fauve), grâce un scénario très malin. Superbement interprété et mis en scène, musiques entraînantes, effets numériques de bonne qualité... Ajoutez à cela un caméo inattendu et jouissif de Logan/Wolverine, nous avons-là un film qui rattrape sans conteste les erreurs de X-Men : l'Affrontement Final et X-Men Origins : Wolverine, et qui peut se vanter d'être bien meilleur que X-Men 2. Là, nous avons un grand film Marvel, se plaçant aux côtés de Spider-Man et Iron Man! Expand
  43. Dec 8, 2012
    It is certainly flawed and all over the place, but McAvoy and Fassbender are superb. They are great, both together and individually as Xavier and Magneto, respectively.
  44. Jun 3, 2011
    Now this is what I'm talking about the best X-Men film ever! X-Men: First Class was amazing and one of the best superhero films on my top. This is where X-Men Origins: Wolverine shouldn't been and it's more better than the original trilogy, but I like X-Men Trilogy instead that stupid Wolverine prequel. The scenes were pretty amazing, the cast have better acting, the special effects looksNow this is what I'm talking about the best X-Men film ever! X-Men: First Class was amazing and one of the best superhero films on my top. This is where X-Men Origins: Wolverine shouldn't been and it's more better than the original trilogy, but I like X-Men Trilogy instead that stupid Wolverine prequel. The scenes were pretty amazing, the cast have better acting, the special effects looks neat (sometimes it wouldn't bring the older effects just like the original trilogy), the action is so cool and pretty awesome, and the story was very good where they explain that the X-Men started from. This is my best summer flick that I would watch this movie over again and I hope that this film is better than the rest that coming out is that not much to see like Thor or Captain America., but it's awesome! Expand
  45. Jun 13, 2011
    My review is slightly biased as I am not a follower of the series. I had seen one film at least 5 years ago and was not all that thrilled. In fact, I don't remember which one it was which bothered the male groupie who went with us. That said, I enjoyed the escapism of a Sunday night but I thought the film was silly and cartonish. I found the teenagers behind me enjoying it greatly. AtMy review is slightly biased as I am not a follower of the series. I had seen one film at least 5 years ago and was not all that thrilled. In fact, I don't remember which one it was which bothered the male groupie who went with us. That said, I enjoyed the escapism of a Sunday night but I thought the film was silly and cartonish. I found the teenagers behind me enjoying it greatly. At least Kevin Bacon did not look as silly as Ian McCallum did in the other film I saw. That hat looked ridiculos on him. Expand
  46. Aug 28, 2011
    X-Men: First Class is such an accomplishment of superhero sci-fi allegorical work, that it lays the recent comic flicks to waste. It accomplishes everything that made the earlier X-Men movies promised but never delivered, and it is an incredibly entertaining summer movie, not because of its effects, nor its action scenes, nor its cheesy (in a good way) plot, but because watching McAvoy andX-Men: First Class is such an accomplishment of superhero sci-fi allegorical work, that it lays the recent comic flicks to waste. It accomplishes everything that made the earlier X-Men movies promised but never delivered, and it is an incredibly entertaining summer movie, not because of its effects, nor its action scenes, nor its cheesy (in a good way) plot, but because watching McAvoy and Fassbender fires up the screen. Expand
  47. Mar 24, 2013
    Not too bad, but the costume design was much too modern for the early 1960's. The plot was in some scenes uninteresting, but makes up for it in the strong special effects.
  48. Aug 21, 2012
    This film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before it descended into chaos. I doubted the film because of its possible childish aspects considering the group of teenage mutants but it also looked dumbed downThis film was pretty good for what it achieved - the leads were amazing as their characters and the dialogue was interesting. The CGI was colourful, but didn't block out the story. I loved the chemistry between Erik and Charles before it descended into chaos. I doubted the film because of its possible childish aspects considering the group of teenage mutants but it also looked dumbed down from the darker X-Men films. Despite this, it managed to produce a stable backstory, there was a cool injection of humour (one scene possibly being unintentional but not in a bad way) and a cameo from a probably lovable rogue makes the film even more special. Expand
  49. Mar 26, 2012
    When I finally did manage to see it a few day ago, I was blown away. The movie is a compelling story about society and trying to fit in. It is a story many of us can relate too. We change or hide ourselves to fit into the world or better yet, the worldâ
  50. Jun 8, 2011
    The X-Men franchise should have started with this film and saved themselves the embarrassment of making X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This film had everything from an amazing cast and beautiful set to a rare form of comedy mixed with action that is lacks in more of these films. The film was a little long but still it is the best dose of superhero your going to get this summer!!!
  51. May 23, 2014
    Probably one of the best X-Men movies.Period. Matthew Vaughn made the characters a lot more compelling than the other movies in the franchise. Fine Performances by the cast
  52. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: More â Expand
  53. Jan 27, 2012
    Being able to develop its many characters without interfering with the course of the story, 'X-Men: First Class' is competently acted and possibly the best X-men film yet.
  54. Jul 17, 2011
    I went into this movie wondering why the Marvel film studio thought that another Xmen backstory movie was something that needed to be told, and while I still dont think this was a necessary movie, especially as there is so much more that could be done with the present day Xmen stories, what we have here is the best Xmen movie since the very first. McAvoy and Fassbender bring some solidI went into this movie wondering why the Marvel film studio thought that another Xmen backstory movie was something that needed to be told, and while I still dont think this was a necessary movie, especially as there is so much more that could be done with the present day Xmen stories, what we have here is the best Xmen movie since the very first. McAvoy and Fassbender bring some solid performances, most of the movies pacing is decent and the story interesting with something to care about. Some of the characters are forgettable but the drama of McAvoy and Fassbender bring it back. This movie succeeds in bringing some interest back to the Xmen franchise since the horrid 3rd film and the disappointing Wolverine. Im interested to know where Xmen will be going from here. Recommended for comic book movie fans. Expand
  55. Jun 5, 2011
    finally a good x men movie. this movie was pretty decent. it was okay. it had more drama than acting. the guy who played magneto did a fantastic job. James mcavoy gave a good performance. good action movie. i enjoyed it.
  56. Sep 15, 2013
    An exceptional prequel to the original X-Men films, First Class delivers with large amounts of vitality, a cast that pulls off their performance immaculately, and a script that handles its source material with a meticulous hand.
  57. Jun 14, 2011
    "X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to welcome new fans in. What viewers will see is a product that embodies the shape of a bona fide origins film, one that gets to the crux of the mutant"X-Men: First Class" stays true to its name as Marvel delivers a first-rate comic film that feels fresh, and takes us somewhere not seen before in the genre; orderly enough to satisfy the most zealous of fanboys, while remaining pliable to welcome new fans in. What viewers will see is a product that embodies the shape of a bona fide origins film, one that gets to the crux of the mutant behind the powers, and occupies the gapping framework of derivation. The result is one that is heavier on ethos and lighter on au courant hoopla. The film owes kudos to a cast that couldn't have been picked with more discretion and vision. Each character knows their role, and each performs it as so. McAvoy and Fassbender really shine though, each man exhibiting a great deal of control and liberation; the execution feels like time well-spent. Lawrence, in support, also continues to establish herself as one of the up-and-coming actresses of our time--not to mention developing an image tantamount to her shape shifter self. Another clever slant I found delighting was a question of mine that I had always tangled with: do the mutants coexist with historical events? The fusion of biopic-fiction is done both adeptly, and for the casual, benighted, social-media American, almost feasibly. This is driven by time-specific (very interesting and effective use of the 60's era) video and audio that enhances the film's presentation. In closing, the fifth (first) installment of the 'X' series is by far the greatest of achievements, superceding anything ever attempted by Ratner, less grave and malicious (more warm and affectionate) than Singer, and much more enjoyable from start to end. Expand
  58. Oct 27, 2013
    after a bad movie(origins wolverine)i thought the x-men franchise would decline,i wasn´t expecting anything good but this movie is absolutely great with a good restart.
  59. Jun 19, 2011
    X-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life into the franchise and going back to the beginning helps to reboot the franchise, without detaching from the original universe that the other movies tookX-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life into the franchise and going back to the beginning helps to reboot the franchise, without detaching from the original universe that the other movies took place in. This is a must see of the summer, and the best X-Men of them all. Expand
  60. Mar 26, 2012
    X men first class is a blast. For sure best xmen yet. Great visuals. It looks so great. Acting and score is good. James M. and micheal Fass. does a very good job. Story is great as it progresses. I would give it a 9.25, but overall I guess a 9 out of 10.
  61. Jun 14, 2011
    The epicness of this superhero movie is just to..... epic. Good acting, good script, good action, it's everything you want in a summer movie, and one of the best in 2011 so far. Also, there was this one scene with Wolverine that was pretty hilarious. It was fun to watch the young Charles Xavier having a good time and cruising girls. The story was very intriguing and kept me entertainedThe epicness of this superhero movie is just to..... epic. Good acting, good script, good action, it's everything you want in a summer movie, and one of the best in 2011 so far. Also, there was this one scene with Wolverine that was pretty hilarious. It was fun to watch the young Charles Xavier having a good time and cruising girls. The story was very intriguing and kept me entertained until the very end. I wasn't really sure what to expect from '' X-Men : First Class ''. It didn't disappointed me. The only thing that bothered me is the way Professor Xavier got paralyse. Other than that, it's a must see ! Expand
  62. Jun 14, 2011
    This Film Is The Worst In The X Men Series.. The Acting Is So So But The Plot BLUCK! Overall I Score This Movie A 4
  63. Dec 29, 2012
    A better plot and more entertaining than the Wolverine origins movie, thankfully way better than the piece of crap movie called X3. Finally, one of similar quality to X-Men: Origins and X2. It was interesting to see the origins of Xavier and Magneto (I've never read the comics personally so the story was new to me). It had action, great special effects, great character, decent acting and aA better plot and more entertaining than the Wolverine origins movie, thankfully way better than the piece of crap movie called X3. Finally, one of similar quality to X-Men: Origins and X2. It was interesting to see the origins of Xavier and Magneto (I've never read the comics personally so the story was new to me). It had action, great special effects, great character, decent acting and a decent plot, everything I expect from a superhero movie. 10/10 Expand
  64. Jun 26, 2011
    This was a surprisingly great movie filled with action, tragedy, and even a bit of love. As far as superhero movies go, this one was amazing. If you are a person that has seen any of the previous X-Men movies, I strongly encourage you to see this movie because it answers a lot of questions and plot lines for the first 3 movies. Even though I saw the movie in a small, cold theatre, it was aThis was a surprisingly great movie filled with action, tragedy, and even a bit of love. As far as superhero movies go, this one was amazing. If you are a person that has seen any of the previous X-Men movies, I strongly encourage you to see this movie because it answers a lot of questions and plot lines for the first 3 movies. Even though I saw the movie in a small, cold theatre, it was a memorable experience. The acting was astounding and what really surprised me was how much Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy look like Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. If you haven't seen this movie or are debating whether you should see it, it is definitely worth it! Expand
  65. Jun 3, 2011
    While it's story may be told ham-handedly, the characters are fun, the action is thrilling, and it's much better than the last two movies. I have gripes, but I'll get to them later. Saw it at midnight, so I'll finish this up tomorrow.
  66. Aug 10, 2012
    A perfectly competent action film, nothing more and nothing less. A litany of side characters muddle the plot while Michael Fassbender's performance (lauded by critics) seemed uneven, as his accent changed throughout the film. Moreover, while I applaud the four screenwriters (never a good sign) for attempting to intertwine historical events within the plot, the overall dialogue writingA perfectly competent action film, nothing more and nothing less. A litany of side characters muddle the plot while Michael Fassbender's performance (lauded by critics) seemed uneven, as his accent changed throughout the film. Moreover, while I applaud the four screenwriters (never a good sign) for attempting to intertwine historical events within the plot, the overall dialogue writing remained clumsy and inept. Expand
  67. Jun 3, 2011
    If like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stood out in Xmen history is the universal themes which everybody can connect with. The acting is great and McAvoy and Fassbender are standouts. Great actionIf like me you know your Xmen then you should like this movie. They may have changed certain things, but I like the new direction and the Cold-war timeline of this interpretation. The things which stand out for me and what has always stood out in Xmen history is the universal themes which everybody can connect with. The acting is great and McAvoy and Fassbender are standouts. Great action scenes and a good story so for fans (treated to some great cameos) or casual movie goer this is worth a watch. Expand
  68. May 25, 2012
    Remember the X-Men movie right before this one? You know, the one about the origins of Wolverine? I don't/ My guess is that Hugh Jackman doesn't either. If he does, I can almost be sure that he's at least trying. "X-Men: First Class", directed by Matthew Vaughn, is a prequel that shows us how the presence of mutants became known to humans, and how they responded to each other'sRemember the X-Men movie right before this one? You know, the one about the origins of Wolverine? I don't/ My guess is that Hugh Jackman doesn't either. If he does, I can almost be sure that he's at least trying. "X-Men: First Class", directed by Matthew Vaughn, is a prequel that shows us how the presence of mutants became known to humans, and how they responded to each other's impressions. This can also be identified as a 130-minute apology to "Wolverine." The film's first minutes are located in a nasty Nazi prison camp. The mother of young Eric is separated from him. He gets angry, and the steel gate between him and his mother seem to respond. (It's moving by itself!) This odd occurrence is immediately noticed by Sebastian Shaw, who later succeeds in forcing the power out of Eric by killing his mother. Once again in anger, Eric causes all sorts of metals to hurl through the air. The wooden chairs sigh in relief. The sequence described above features the finest moments of "X-Men: First Class." It is there where we are introduced to the young man who will one day be famously recognzied as Magneto. Shortly, we recall familiar names such as Charles (Professor X) and Raven (Mystique), but not at first sight. There is a curious connection between the two. They seem to be really close to one another. So close, in fact, that we wonder about the lack of communication between them in the "previous" X-Men movies. Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/xmen-class/ Expand
  69. Mar 4, 2012
    The only thing about this film that redeemed it was the brief scene with Hugh Jackman where he tells them to well he just does and they should have all listened.
  70. Jun 16, 2011
    A fantastic return to greatness for this franchise that I thought dead. With strong performances from the entire cast, fantastic special effects, and a great plot, First Class is by far the best X-Men film.
  71. Oct 28, 2011
    This is by far the best film of the series! It's fast, well acted and scripted. Isn't exactly true to the comics but the last two films could be blamed for hurting this one. Now that Wolverine is no longer the center of attention, we get to see more of the rest of the mutants. The story line is very strong and goes back to what made the first two films classics, and what made the last twoThis is by far the best film of the series! It's fast, well acted and scripted. Isn't exactly true to the comics but the last two films could be blamed for hurting this one. Now that Wolverine is no longer the center of attention, we get to see more of the rest of the mutants. The story line is very strong and goes back to what made the first two films classics, and what made the last two disasters. The visual effects are jaw-dropping and the cast are astounding, especially Michael Fassbender as Magneto and James McAvoy as Prof. X. Jennifer Lawrence is also very good as Mystique and can't wait to see her as Katniss in The Hunger Games! It did get a bit cliched in spots but it's definitely a return to form for the X-Men films. Expand
  72. Jul 25, 2014
    All the xmen have been poorly handled in my opinion. They have the worst casts, they bring in mutants that were completely irrelevant in the comic books. They seem like they are made by committees of people who don't really read the comics. I hate every single one of them. This one was probably the one I hated the least though and is somewhat entertaining in places.
  73. Aug 31, 2011
    My Favourite X-Men Movie. This was definitely the best one, i though the story was very original, I mean bringing the origins of each mutant and that kind of stuff (the way that the characters become throw out the movies), i did like it a lot, and the casting was just perfect, James McAvoy. Michael Fassbander, Jennifer Lawrence and January Jones, amazing.
  74. Mar 4, 2014
    Apart from the flat supporting characters and a few doses of overly cheesy dialogue, this film is at the top end of superhero movies. A script which makes you toss and turn sides throughout the film is commendable and some truly great acting from McAvoy and Fassbender. Easily the best X-Men film and recommendable to all.
  75. Nov 15, 2011
    Better than expected as First Class downshifted into a prequel and brought a new vibe to the X-Men series instead of grinding it out with sequels. Comedic presence and polished CGI did the body good.
  76. Jun 15, 2011
    Wow. Fassbender and McAvoy did a great job of portraying the dynamics and the relationship of Erik Lehnsherr and Charles Xavier. Very enjoyable movie and a great piece of film, considering the time table the director had to work with.
  77. Jul 4, 2012
    After two disappointing lacklusters, the X-Men franchise is back to it's form. A nice prequel that not only presents important character development, but a new and ensembled cast that captures even more the character's personality and depth. The movie is a mixture of the excitment that the first two X-Men's were, mostly because the production team of those two movies, including the screenAfter two disappointing lacklusters, the X-Men franchise is back to it's form. A nice prequel that not only presents important character development, but a new and ensembled cast that captures even more the character's personality and depth. The movie is a mixture of the excitment that the first two X-Men's were, mostly because the production team of those two movies, including the screen writter is involved. Expand
  78. Jun 19, 2011
    X-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies if you haven't yet, and if you're not, it's at least worth renting.
  79. Jul 31, 2011
    Going into this I wasn't expecting much, after Ratner (X3) and Gavin Hood (Wolverine) criminally butchered and maimed the exceptional work Singer started in the first 2 X-men movies. I expected a hat-trick of disappointment. Though it didn't measure up to the first two films of the series (X-men and X2:Xmen united), X-men first class was still a good and well thought out movie. It lackedGoing into this I wasn't expecting much, after Ratner (X3) and Gavin Hood (Wolverine) criminally butchered and maimed the exceptional work Singer started in the first 2 X-men movies. I expected a hat-trick of disappointment. Though it didn't measure up to the first two films of the series (X-men and X2:Xmen united), X-men first class was still a good and well thought out movie. It lacked the cerebral qualities of the first two film but was still a smart flick, far smarter than the adrenaline-laden X3 and Wolverine. But that's enough comparisons... The brisk narrative and story telling in this film was effective, as it covered much ground, tackling a solid cold-war era plot, and took the time to re-introduce old characters and introduce new ones. Mcavoy and Fassbender excel as Xavier and Magneto (respectively), keeping in mind that they had big shoes to fill. Despite these high points, the inconsistencies in the X-men universe and the back story of our main characters, amongst other minor technicalities did bother me. And though entertaining, I doubt this is a movie I would still be talking about for weeks or even days to come... Its one of the better summer films in theatres now and earned it's good review scores and I won't hesitate to give it one myself Expand
  80. Sep 12, 2011
    Buy-it - The epic beginning of the mutant saga is just as diverse, stylish and powerful as the "superheroes" it's about. You'll leave wishing the Cold War had never ended. But it's the perfect summer blockbuster that will obviously have a sequel and will certainly make a handful of somewhat recognizable faces into Hollywood stars.
  81. Dec 13, 2011
    There was a good movie here somewhere, but it got lost when the studio hired 4 writers to helm the script. The main problem with this new X-Men movie is that it's all over the place. It's all over the place with its characters, its story, and its style. The main reason is that no scene lasts more than a few minutes. The movie jumps around so much that it's difficult to get involved. It wasThere was a good movie here somewhere, but it got lost when the studio hired 4 writers to helm the script. The main problem with this new X-Men movie is that it's all over the place. It's all over the place with its characters, its story, and its style. The main reason is that no scene lasts more than a few minutes. The movie jumps around so much that it's difficult to get involved. It was like the makers had three hours of material, and they were pressured by the studio to assemble a movie that was under two and a half hours. Because of this, the movie jumps around from scene to scene, and none of the characters get any moment to shine. The movie desperately tries in vain to get us to care about them though. The dialogue gives off this manipulatively sappy vibe to it, and director Vaughn accompanies it with some overly dramatic music. Speaking of Vaughn, I didn't really care for a whole lot of his directorial choices. He messes around with too many styles. Sometimes the movie feels like a live action comic book, and other times it goes for a campy Indiana Jones/James Bond vibe. It's like Vaughn didn't have a clear vision for how he wanted to tell the story. There's also a lot of unintentionally awkward moments that Vaughn could have fixed by presenting them in a different way. But "First Class" isn't all flaws. There's some neat visual effects, Fassbender plays an amazing Magneto, and Kevin Bacon plays one of the X-Men's most menacing villains yet, Sebastian Shaw. When the script doesn't suck, Jennifer Lawrence also has a few nice moments as Mystique. And there are a few moments where Vaughn's style meshes with the rest of the movie. But other than that, X-Men: First Class ends up being squandered potential. It would be nice for once in a comic book movie where the makers stop worrying about covering all of the bases, and instead, focus on a compelling story with rich characters to leave us wanting to come back for more. Expand
  82. Jul 23, 2011
    X-Men: First Class is a brilliant film. The Film Kept Me Interested In Learning More And More Of How Professor X And Magneto Were Friends Before Enemies. Had A Good Plot To The Story And The Actors Did An Excellent Performance For Their Characters. I would give this film a full price.
  83. Aug 15, 2014
    Really good film good action good story and good acting a very good x men movie.

my ratting 7.9/10 8/10 for action/special effects 7.9 for story 7.8/10 for acting 7.9 for characters/character development
  84. Nov 24, 2011
    When I first heard about this film, I thought I would have a hard time accepting a Professor X and a Magneto that wasn't Sir Patrick and Sir Ian. I was immensely surprised when I took to McAvoy and Fassbender (no pun intended), like a magnet. If this film was to be given any credit, it should be for McAvoy's and Fassbender's excellent work in this film. Their friendship and ultimateWhen I first heard about this film, I thought I would have a hard time accepting a Professor X and a Magneto that wasn't Sir Patrick and Sir Ian. I was immensely surprised when I took to McAvoy and Fassbender (no pun intended), like a magnet. If this film was to be given any credit, it should be for McAvoy's and Fassbender's excellent work in this film. Their friendship and ultimate separation was immensely realistic, and a genuine sad moment when it occurs. The theme of alienation in this movie seems to permeate this film a lot more than it did in the previous franchise. As an origin story, its not on the same level as an origin story like Batman Begins, however personally, it is the best watch of the X-Men franchise. I was never bored once throughout this movie, the pacing and editing is excellent (though a bit over-paced in some places). My only criticism of the film would be that it seems to be a bit too effects heavy in places, and that some of the problems of the original X-Men has spilled over onto this film too. There are too many damn mutants. I would've preferred a tighter focus on a handful of mutants, rather than spilling dozens of mutants into the story, who for some, their only story contribution is a demonstration of their powers. I was never an avid X-Men comic reader, so I might sound like a bit of an outsider saying this, but I would have preferred to have had a focus on mutants with "realistic" powers; i.e. telepathy, telekinesis, magnetism etc. All in all though, it is definitely a film that can be enjoyed on a level for its fun factor, and also for its acting, a good story to hold your attention and themes. A must see for fans of the franchise. Expand
  85. Jul 28, 2013
    X-Men: First Class succeeds by having actual storyline aside neat special effects and flashy action scenes. The characters have more depth than average movie superheroes and there are successful tie-ins with actual historical events. This prequel is positive surprise that even non-fan of Marvel movies can enjoy.
  86. Dec 15, 2011
    This is how action should be written. It had really good dialogue thought. On top of that the special effects where brilliant. It kept me entertained. And I mostly fall asleep during action movies. It also had a very good cast. I couldn't think of a better actor other then Michael Fassbender to play Magneto. Others that did good acting included Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, and JanuaryThis is how action should be written. It had really good dialogue thought. On top of that the special effects where brilliant. It kept me entertained. And I mostly fall asleep during action movies. It also had a very good cast. I couldn't think of a better actor other then Michael Fassbender to play Magneto. Others that did good acting included Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, and January Jones. It took place during my favorite time period. Except that I did not know that a lot of women had straight hair back then. The plot was also good. I wasn't that much of a fan of the cinematography but that never influences my rating. The most dramatic part of the film had to be when Magneto threw the missiles back to the ships. Also one other thing, I did not know that Professor X and Raven knew each other before the events of the first X-Men movies. I would recommend this to people that like action and super hero movies. Expand
  87. May 18, 2015
    Great movie, the story is good and interesting, made a good movie without using the Wolverine, the special effects are good, only the Beast that was not very good, the film is interesting despite slightly distort the world of X-Men in cinema.
  88. Oct 7, 2011
    The characters are where the actual strong suit is, no pun intended. Without any intrigue or care for the characters, it becomes something along the lines of X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The acting is phenomenal; I have't seen a more realistic and awesome Magneto anywhere else. The scipt unfolds majestically and the acting is again, fanastic. And when it's wrappedThe characters are where the actual strong suit is, no pun intended. Without any intrigue or care for the characters, it becomes something along the lines of X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The acting is phenomenal; I have't seen a more realistic and awesome Magneto anywhere else. The scipt unfolds majestically and the acting is again, fanastic. And when it's wrapped with Matthew Vaughan's superb, is not brash sense of directing, it's damn near perfect. Expand
  89. Aug 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I walked out of the theater after seeing this film in a great mood and up until I finally drifted to sleep, I was thinking about this film and how awesome it was. I think the last time I was excited like this after seeing a movie was The Dark Knight. Is it better than that movieâ Expand
  90. Jul 23, 2013
    Although the characters were interresting and the refferences were enjoyable, the story was weak and predictable, making the movie a stretched boring mess.
  91. Nov 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the years between Batman films, Marvel truly gets a chance to shine, especially in the time building up towards their unprecedented, all-or-nothing extravaganza The Avengers. So it would come as a huge shock to many that, in a summer with not one but two Avengers-related films (Thor and Captain America), the most thrilling and refined comic book film of the year was the one no one was excited for. Well, folks, we all learned to never judge a film by its trailer once this smartly written, sharply filmed and sleekly acted origin story unfolded on the screen. This was Michael Fassbender Expand
  92. Jun 8, 2011
    After Thor I wasn't too sure how Marvel could make a come back, but Gosh darn it, they made one hell of a come back! X-Men: First Class is the perfect comic book movie, I loved every frame of this film. Matthew Vaughn has created yet another instant classic for me! I didn't expect to be as blown away by Kevin Bacon's performance as I was and James McAvoy was absolutely amazing as Professor Xavier!
  93. Dec 16, 2013
    Surprising movie, I thought it would be worst. It gives a fresh start to the X-men zaga. The majority of the performances were great and created an interesting, but sometimes unclear movie.
  94. Oct 28, 2011
    One thing that the avid comic fan must do when approaching this movie, however, is to divorce themselves utterly from almost all established four-color X-Men continuity. Oh, some bears up, but by and large this is a whole new origin story, a reboot of epic proportions, and yet it is a retcon so cleverly done, and one that offers up a such a delicious melange of complex relationships andOne thing that the avid comic fan must do when approaching this movie, however, is to divorce themselves utterly from almost all established four-color X-Men continuity. Oh, some bears up, but by and large this is a whole new origin story, a reboot of epic proportions, and yet it is a retcon so cleverly done, and one that offers up a such a delicious melange of complex relationships and sensible motivation, that all of the many discrepancies inherent in having Mystique on the side of good or having Moira McTaggert a CIA agent simply do not matter. Superb! Rock-solid script, two amazing lead performances (the film is basically a bromance) This is one of the very rare prequel that doesn't sucks... Expand
  95. Aug 4, 2012
    After two disappointing X-Men movies, this superhero franchise is finally back and better than ever! The only problem this movie has is that is "over-cheesy" at some points. Overall, though, it was a fantastic and fun ride and maybe the best X-Men movie to date.
  96. Aug 24, 2013
    [6.9] It definitely exceeds expectations, but it doesn't go above and beyond. Maybe above, but definitely not beyond. By X-Men standards, this is a great movie, but for me, it does what every other X-Men movie does: it tries to explain itself too much (and at this point, X-Men doesn't need much explaining). It does this to a lesser extent, and the characters almost make up for it, but when[6.9] It definitely exceeds expectations, but it doesn't go above and beyond. Maybe above, but definitely not beyond. By X-Men standards, this is a great movie, but for me, it does what every other X-Men movie does: it tries to explain itself too much (and at this point, X-Men doesn't need much explaining). It does this to a lesser extent, and the characters almost make up for it, but when I watch this movie I'm all too aware that the X-Men are trying to teach me about the X-Men. That's what the internet is for. Hell, that's what comic books are for. Expand
  97. Jun 7, 2014
    This is a very good super-hero movie...

This is a very good super-hero movie...

The writing is good, the cast is talented, the action scenes are very well shoot, the directing is strong, etc... it's seems obvious that he knows the characters and the universe it shows that he knew exactly what to have his actors do and the actors knew what the characters needed to do. I can tell the director is knows very well the X-Men universe.

This movie has a lot of good elements about it, but I can't help but feel that the ending is abrupt, like they needed to end the movie intermediately and they just rushed the end. Maybe this is because I am not a big X-Men fan, but I still recommend this movie a lot, it's just a good super-hero movie.
  98. Jun 19, 2011
    What a good film. I wasn't so sure about going back to the origin but this movie was executed very well. Matthew Vaughn, who directed Kick-Ass, directs this movie and personally i think it is his best film out of the four that he has made. I really hope he returns to helm the sequel
  99. Mar 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the dismal and lack of entertaining factors that came from 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (2006) and don't even get me started on 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' (2009), it's understandable to think why this movie would be such a disaster.

First of all, it is a prequel...many would think "What on earth? A prequel? Really? Is this all they have to offer after the last two crap-fests that came out?". Admit it, this could easily have been the next 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace' (1999) and put the "X-Men" franchise to a new low.

In other words, we all had low expectations, well most of us did. But after watching this movie, for some strange reason, I wanted to see it again, and so did a lot of people.

'X-Men: First Class' is directed by Matthew Vaughn who gave us 'Layer Cake' (2004) and 'Kick-Ass' (2010), he was apparently supposed to direct 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (2006), which would have been a good idea, but he couldn't for undisclosed reasons.

Here, Vaughn has crafted a stylish, thoughtful, sometimes funny and exhilarating action movie that stands out in the crowd. For the first time, the movie does not focus on Wolverine, and instead focuses on two very interesting and popular characters in the franchise; Professor X (played by James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender). Obviously, they were just known as Charles Xavier and Eric Lensherr.

We see Eric back in Poland, 1944 when he was a child, a repeat scene we all saw back in the original 'X-Men' (2000), but we never saw what really happened after Eric's parents were taken away from him and why he became Magneto, Vaughn fills in that piece of the puzzle. It seems that there is a man named Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) who is fascinated with young Eric's powers and ability to manipulate metal, so he asks him to move a coin or his mother gets shot. Sounds easy? Nope. After he shoots Eric's mother, through anger it seems that Eric can manipulate metal if he is feeling that emotion.

We also meet young Charles Xavier, who at night, meets a young blue girl named Raven who has the ability to shape-shift into any other human being. Xavier is amazed that there is another mutant who can do extraordinary things as he is able to read minds and control people's thoughts...quite intelligent for a little boy.

What does amaze me is the great chemistry that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender have as the two main characters, just like what Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen had in the original trilogy. They seem genuine as friends and you believe every line they say.

What also amazes me is how much this movie links into history, so the Marvel comics universe DOES interact with our real world. We see archive footage of President John F. Kennedy announcing how there is going to be a nuclear war and a possible start to World War III.

The cast is outstanding as well, after praising the two leads above, Jennifer Lawrence is great as Mystique, Nicholas Hoult makes a good young Beast and many more actors do their best with a strong script.

However, having said it is a strong script, it is a little cliched here and there and it isn't exactly as dark as the first two "X-Men" movies, but the action is clean, the story is well thought out and this is a satisfying entry into the franchise. It may be far from being the greatest "X-Men" movie, but it's still great and better than what Brett Ratner had up his sleeve.
  100. Jun 5, 2011
    I'm still unsure whether I like this or not, I was really hyped for it and it didn't meet my expectations. It was very hit and miss - some scenes were brilliant, yet some were rushed and clumsy.

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jun 9, 2011
    It's all vastly superior to Brett Ratner's scorched-earth "X-Men: The Last Stand," of course.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jun 3, 2011
    It's not the artistry of X-Men: First Class that's particularly striking; though it's finely crafted, the film feels less the product of a visionary director than of the Marvel movies machine working at maximum efficiency.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    Jun 3, 2011
    A cameo from an old-school X-Man only serves to remind how stylish and witty the first installment was a decade ago. Lacking a single memorable joke or striking image, First Class is as perfunctory and passionless as would-be franchise resurrections get.