7.8

1. Jun 22, 2011
    This movie is essential for any x-men fan to watch, or even if ur new to it. It will explain so much, and in an awesome and action packed way. The best x-men movie yet
  2. Jun 22, 2011
    Even though when I saw the trailers I did have my doubts about this film..... Trying not to let me "nerd" escape inside me. This movie was amazing! I cannot think of a stronger word than that to describe this film. All of the X-Men films have been great in some shape or form and have a stronger bond that any other superhero movies such as Spider-man, Batman, Superman- all of which areEven though when I saw the trailers I did have my doubts about this film..... Trying not to let me "nerd" escape inside me. This movie was amazing! I cannot think of a stronger word than that to describe this film. All of the X-Men films have been great in some shape or form and have a stronger bond that any other superhero movies such as Spider-man, Batman, Superman- all of which are constantly getting rebooted, but X-Men has managed strive through this and find other ways to keep an audience interested and the films alive. It was a lovely to be introduced to new characters that have never had the chance to be able to perform in films before. The movie has now tied the stories for Magneto and Professor X. And now leaves an open door to take away other characters from the X-Men films and let writers play with them for a while. Great film, amazing effects, enjoyed all of the actors and actresses (Nice to seem a bunch of people who can act), the dialogue and story was perfected.... More films like this please! Expand
  3. Jun 21, 2011
    X-Men First Class is the perfect blend of humor, action, and drama that satisfies the need for both a fun summer action flick and a thoughtful general film. Most importantly, it creates likeable but morally abound characters that dare you to not be invested in the story. Vaughn has succeeded in making an X-Men film that will rejuvenate interest in the franchise for the upcoming years.X-Men First Class is the perfect blend of humor, action, and drama that satisfies the need for both a fun summer action flick and a thoughtful general film. Most importantly, it creates likeable but morally abound characters that dare you to not be invested in the story. Vaughn has succeeded in making an X-Men film that will rejuvenate interest in the franchise for the upcoming years.

full review at http://cinemafrenzy.wordpress.com/
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    Like many people was hesitant about a new X-Men movie that was part prequel part reboot. I have a fondness toward the first three X-Men movies. And Unlike many people out there I really enjoyed X-MEN 3 and think it is a really underrated movie. Sure Brett Ratner's directing wasn't great but the story was good and so was the action. I also love how they weren't afraid to kill off the mainLike many people was hesitant about a new X-Men movie that was part prequel part reboot. I have a fondness toward the first three X-Men movies. And Unlike many people out there I really enjoyed X-MEN 3 and think it is a really underrated movie. Sure Brett Ratner's directing wasn't great but the story was good and so was the action. I also love how they weren't afraid to kill off the main characters. My biggest problem with the movie was the over abundance of characters the threw into the movie. I know it sounds like I'm giving a review for X-Men: The Last Stand but I wanted to make it clear I really like the previous films and wasn't sure about a reboot/prequel just like I'm nervous about the new Spiderman movie. Though after seeing this movie I view it more as a prequel.

Now I was wrong X-MEN: First Class is a great movie and will probably be the best comic book movie of the summer. With the already underwhelming THOR. THE GREEN LANTERN which in all honesty doesn't look that good and CAPTAIN America which I really hope is good.

One of the first things I need to talk about is the actors and many people may not recognize or remember. First Kevin Bacon who hasn't been in a lot of movies recently steals the movie as Sebastian Shaw as he brings such live and zeal to the character and I'm disappointed he won't be around for the enviable sequels. Then there's James McAvoy who hasn't done anything recognizable outside of Wanted. He plays Charles Xavior who I will always remember as Patrick Steward. He was the perfect Professor X. Still McAvoy did a good job as a you Xavior. Michael Fassbender as Magneto I had never heard of and again I had a fondness for the excellent actor Ian McKellen. I thought Michael did a excellent job as a young tortured Magneto and he even looks like a young Mckellen. Next I need to give a shout out to the movie great movie SUNSHINE and the actress Rose Byrne(Moira MacTaggert) who has been in many good movies and is a great actress. Then there are two supporting characters who I don't think had any lines but were great. The two are Riptide(Ã
  5. Jun 20, 2011
    This one was so much better than the first 3 by that other hack of a director who absolutely ruined the franchise name with the 3rd one. While the stupid soldiers, captains, generals and other political leaders was way overdone and in no way realistic, the flavor and spirit of the X Men was there to some extent. Magneto and Prof X are much more appropriately aged, the mutant powers areThis one was so much better than the first 3 by that other hack of a director who absolutely ruined the franchise name with the 3rd one. While the stupid soldiers, captains, generals and other political leaders was way overdone and in no way realistic, the flavor and spirit of the X Men was there to some extent. Magneto and Prof X are much more appropriately aged, the mutant powers are fairly realistic (although there a couple of goofy instances such as with Beast and Angel Salvadore). The movie started out edgy but unfortunately didn't carry that ideal all of the way through. The first half is much better than the second half. I have a wait and see attitude with this one and expect a lot from the second one which I'm sure will come in a couple of years. It's no current Batman iteration but there may be hope... Expand
  6. Jun 20, 2011
    Best X-Men movie so far. I didn't like not seeing enough of Hugh Jackman in this movie. Is anyone else tired of X-men? Can we see something else now? James McAvoy was the best part of the movie. He is very entertaining. James McAvoy is one of the best new actors on the scene today.
  7. Jun 20, 2011
    Loved it! The last couple Xmen movies were not very good, but this one redeemed the franchise!! I loved watching the back-history of a lot of my favorite characters!
  8. Jun 19, 2011
    I was expecting a very poor-quality movie when I went to see X-Men: First Class, and I was not only surprised but most impressed with the quality of the storyline, acting, and characterization of this film. Of all three of these things, this film accelerates beyond the other films, especially when it comes to the latter.

Characterization comes off deeper and is probably more realistic

Characterization comes off deeper and is probably more realistic than any of the other movies, especially with the character of Magneto (primarily going by his real name, "Eric," in the film), who I believe any audience will find to be a much more sympathetic than the inexplicable hate-filled bad-guy that he is portrayed as in previous films. In short then, I felt that that the characters on screen were actually people and I was actually able to identify with them (or to identify AGAINST them) and so could actually feel an emotional pull as Magneto pulled and ripped things apart with his powers.

As for plot outside of character, you will not see much of a difference from other superhero/ comic book movies. The "X-Men" (which for the purposes of this movie is a liberal use of the term) must go out and save the world from single bad guy with SUPER-super powers and his group of goons with other still-intimidating but not quite so powerful powers. In this, it is not surprising, but rather playing to a stereotype and so could be said to be one of its only drawbacks. However, this drawback is ALMOST alleviated by his excellent historical context in the turbulent 1960s. (Prepare for sexy Russian accents.)

As for the construction of the film, I found most people could not tell the difference between CGI most of the time and real footage (speaking to the talents of the art of this film) and the acting itself is better than could be normally expected from a caste that is generally unknown. As stated before, the actor that plays Magneto - though for the life of me I cannot now remember his name - may actually be a better Magneto than Ian McKellan. No higher honor I think I need to bestow.... Yet you may find the soon-to-be "Professor X" to be a little disappointing. In short, I would describe him as much more of a Frodo and much less of the Gandalf that he needs to be. To not dwell further into it, I would say only that the small parts do there job well and the large parts do not disappoint, but you will probably find yourself wanting more scenes of Magneto's character and less of the atypical "goody-goody-two-shoes."

I give this film a 9, though it might be slightly over that number in my book. Primarily it is the general predictible plot that brings the score down, with a few uncomfortably corny or merely undeservedly sympathetic scenes close to the beginning of the film that seem just a little bit too easy on the "good" guys.

I would therefore recommend you to see it in theatres if you are simply looking for a decent-quality sci-fi film to see. Fans should not be disappointed and newcomers should also not be turned away, but don't expect anything ground breaking going on.
  9. Jun 19, 2011
    X-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life into the franchise and going back to the beginning helps to reboot the franchise, without detaching from the original universe that the other movies tookX-Men First Class's opening is a bit underwhelming and awkwardly paced, but once you get past the first 15 minutes the film is clever, emotionally gripping, visually appealing, and incredibly well acted. The youthful cast sparks new life into the franchise and going back to the beginning helps to reboot the franchise, without detaching from the original universe that the other movies took place in. This is a must see of the summer, and the best X-Men of them all. Expand
  10. Jun 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very enjoyable prequel to the X-Men franchise. I loved Wolverine's cameo! Although, the plot holes this movie created made me take away two points. Still, at least it's no X-Men 3. Expand
  11. Jun 19, 2011
    Expecting to be disappointed because of recent mediocre comic movies, X-Men: first class was a pleasant surprise. If you don't mind some a little bit of license taken with continuity, I think this is probably the best X-men Movie so far. The first one was good for the time, but quickly dated because of the mediocre acting. The second one was a solid movie, but still smelled of a movieExpecting to be disappointed because of recent mediocre comic movies, X-Men: first class was a pleasant surprise. If you don't mind some a little bit of license taken with continuity, I think this is probably the best X-men Movie so far. The first one was good for the time, but quickly dated because of the mediocre acting. The second one was a solid movie, but still smelled of a movie property. The third was a turdsandwich. This one is refreshing and has a solid story as well as some good acting (few moments to roll your eyes at). Despite the silly looking movie stills and trailers, this turned out to be a refreshing break from "meh" superhero movies like Iron Man 2, Thor, etc. Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2011
    this film was good but could have been better. the movie was a bit drawn out more than it should have been but by far the best X-men movie yet. this is why i gave the movie a 7. oh and one more thing the characters could have been more interesting but that could have just been the actors they picked to play the parts lol.
  13. Jun 19, 2011
    What a good film. I wasn't so sure about going back to the origin but this movie was executed very well. Matthew Vaughn, who directed Kick-Ass, directs this movie and personally i think it is his best film out of the four that he has made. I really hope he returns to helm the sequel
  14. Jun 19, 2011
    FINALLY!!!! A summer movie that isn't a piece of trash! This is the first movie this year that lives up to its huge budget and hype. Its fantastic! Main reason being is Michael Fassbender as Magneto, his performance is explosive! Every scene he's in is a show stopper, add Macavoy as Xavier and you have some great actors playing some great characters in a great movie. The movie starts outFINALLY!!!! A summer movie that isn't a piece of trash! This is the first movie this year that lives up to its huge budget and hype. Its fantastic! Main reason being is Michael Fassbender as Magneto, his performance is explosive! Every scene he's in is a show stopper, add Macavoy as Xavier and you have some great actors playing some great characters in a great movie. The movie starts out at and exciting pace and just gets faster and more fun from there. Its better then good it's extraordinary! Expand
  15. Jun 19, 2011
    X-Men: First Class is good, slick summer entertainment that doesn't require you to turn your brain off. It has good pacing, good acting, and most importantly, good action! If you are a big movie-goer, go check this one out at the movies if you haven't yet, and if you're not, it's at least worth renting.
  16. T-A
    Jun 18, 2011
    Not just for hardcore comic fans, X-Men: First Class breaths life into this superhero movie franchise with a refreshing adaptation. Performances by James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Eric Lehnsherr / Magneto) outshine the others, while Jennifer Lawrence provides an interesting take on Raven / Mystique. Comic purists might find liberties with the X-Men's historyNot just for hardcore comic fans, X-Men: First Class breaths life into this superhero movie franchise with a refreshing adaptation. Performances by James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Eric Lehnsherr / Magneto) outshine the others, while Jennifer Lawrence provides an interesting take on Raven / Mystique. Comic purists might find liberties with the X-Men's history frustrating, but the changes make this film work. Overall, despite some lulls in action and underdeveloped characters and plot points, the movie is fun and entertaining, leaving viewers with a promising direction for the X-Men. Expand
  17. Jun 17, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic. The chemistry between the characters was so believable. Erik and Charles' relationship was done perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased.
  18. Jun 17, 2011
    If I go the rest of my life without seeing another movie as bad as this one, I'll die happy. This was atrocious. McAvoy and Fassbender were fine. Good, in fact. But the rest of the movie is so unbelievably terrible in almost every way that it's a near comedy by the end of the movie. The script fell out of a cliche tree and tried as hard as it could to hit every branch, bounce back up,If I go the rest of my life without seeing another movie as bad as this one, I'll die happy. This was atrocious. McAvoy and Fassbender were fine. Good, in fact. But the rest of the movie is so unbelievably terrible in almost every way that it's a near comedy by the end of the movie. The script fell out of a cliche tree and tried as hard as it could to hit every branch, bounce back up, and hit them all again. It was cheesy, trite, and on par with a second grader's writing. The rest of the cast is wooden and stale, with the always charming (*sarcasm*) January Jones at the forefront. The pacing is bad, the editing is worse, music ill-timed...I'm telling you--as a huge fan of the X-Men, there are no words for my disappointment. Worst of all, it's one thing to put your own spin on a film series and make it your own with a different story. It's another thing altogether to completely crap on the series canon in almost every conceivable fashion. Rename Erik Lensherr and Charles Xavier and take them out of their yellow and blue, and it's unintelligible as an X-Men product due to the complete warping of the series' canon. This movie was bad. Just plain bad. Expand
  19. Jun 17, 2011
    Much better than the past 2-3 X-Men movies this one familiarizes us with the origins of X-Men and the conflicts between the "good" and "bad" mutants. Set among the tensions of the Cold War, this movie definitely sets the stage for future heavy-hitting x-men movies. Although I would have preferred a couple of the mutuants be more "spectacular" and exciting (there is one who has fairy-typeMuch better than the past 2-3 X-Men movies this one familiarizes us with the origins of X-Men and the conflicts between the "good" and "bad" mutants. Set among the tensions of the Cold War, this movie definitely sets the stage for future heavy-hitting x-men movies. Although I would have preferred a couple of the mutuants be more "spectacular" and exciting (there is one who has fairy-type wings and shoots small balls of fire from her mouth) the cast and characters do a commendable job of making the movie enjoyable and not too corny.

Definitely worth a watch and I am actually looking forward to sequels.
  20. Jun 17, 2011
    This Is A Great Movie I Have Ever Seen But One Thing I Miss The Most is Wolverine But The Movie Kind Of Seems To Have Less Fighting Scenes
    But Its A Great Movie I Like It............................
    ..................................................................................................................................
  21. Jun 16, 2011
    A fantastic return to greatness for this franchise that I thought dead. With strong performances from the entire cast, fantastic special effects, and a great plot, First Class is by far the best X-Men film.
  22. Jun 16, 2011
    X-men - a unique franchise, and the fifth film series that further confirmation. Usually, the movie series before the age of the elderly, steaming, hits the samopovtory or creators are fundamentally changing the concept of the franchise. Tired out at the end of the third part of Mutants in a deadlock, the creators of making the only right decision - a spin-Offa. Prehistory of the mostX-men - a unique franchise, and the fifth film series that further confirmation. Usually, the movie series before the age of the elderly, steaming, hits the samopovtory or creators are fundamentally changing the concept of the franchise. Tired out at the end of the third part of Mutants in a deadlock, the creators of making the only right decision - a spin-Offa. Prehistory of the most charismatic and memorable characters trilogy. And if you need to move past the history of Wolverine looks doubtful (in the original trilogy rather detailed account of the formation of Logan and in isolation from the team, he has become less interesting character), the reasons for the confrontation of Professor Xavier and Magneto in the "first class" at least raises curiosity . In addition, a cursory glance at the synopsis of the paintings fueled interest in the movie, judge for yourself: 1. The choice of producers as a director Matthew Vaughn, at the time refused to take "final battle" because of uncertainty in the forces, newly appointed to the shooting new film in the series. And the reason is "Kick-Ass," with its innovative approach to superheroes and all komiksnoy topic. And here it is felt with a vengeance. Not a single superfluous scene, no unnecessary characters, action shot, so that the screen does not come off, even conversational scenes are kept in suspense, for that blockbuster with 160 million budget no mean achievement. 2. Jane Goldman script, Ashley Miller, Zack Stents ... plot and the characters nor the means do not go in contradiction with the previous series, and images created by the actors in previous films. The plot about finding Eric Lensherrom Nazi war criminals is beyond praise - in the scenes where Magneto faces the demons of the past concentration camp, with the hero fist shrink from the tension. The history of confrontation between society and the community of mutants who are torn between the Beast and Mystique revealed far more interesting than the third series of the franchise. 3. Cuban Missile Crisis era. The very idea of â Expand
  23. Jun 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very decent and entertaining movie. X-Men's Saga redeemed after the last two fiasco, led mostly by the great performances of McAvoy and Fassbender. Very recommendable. Expand
  24. Jun 16, 2011
    This film is a masterpiece. Every scene is engaging, exciting . The film flows harmonically and the development of the characters is very consistent, keeping you focused in their problems, happiness and conflicts. The action scenes are mind-blowing and the "Cold War Atmosphere" is perfectly revived. X-Men First Class deserves with no doubts an Oscar indication, we have a strong contender here.
  25. Jun 16, 2011
    It was a fantastic portrayal of the beginning of Xavier and Magnito. Unfortunately it had to go and spoil and perfect story with an over the top ending. It almost had me.
  26. Jun 16, 2011
    I had high expectations for this movie as others had said it was great.
    I was wrong.
    The movie is rather boring and reminds me of most "prequels". It was rather cliche, and boring. I don't even know why I go to the movies anymore.
  27. Jun 15, 2011
    This was a very decent back story in the CoD Black Ops time frame. It puts a very interesting spin on the whole Bay of Pigs story and gives interesting insight into the origins of the X-Men and how the whole human vs. mutant war started. Well worth seeing on the big screen.
  28. Jun 15, 2011
    Wow. Fassbender and McAvoy did a great job of portraying the dynamics and the relationship of Erik Lehnsherr and Charles Xavier. Very enjoyable movie and a great piece of film, considering the time table the director had to work with.
  29. Jun 15, 2011
    Set a new standard of comic book movies to aspire too. I never ounce fell asleep during this movie. The plot and characters were superb. The action was solid as well as the acting. X-Men has come back! The music was epic as well. PERFECT!
  30. Jun 15, 2011
    Best one yet. First Class combines humour, action and drama in a brilliant way. Only downfall of this movie is that it ended. Must see, Sound is great, Acting is awesome, CGI was amazing. And Xavier kicks freaken ass! Yeye!

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jun 9, 2011
    It's all vastly superior to Brett Ratner's scorched-earth "X-Men: The Last Stand," of course.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jun 3, 2011
    It's not the artistry of X-Men: First Class that's particularly striking; though it's finely crafted, the film feels less the product of a visionary director than of the Marvel movies machine working at maximum efficiency.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    Jun 3, 2011
    A cameo from an old-school X-Man only serves to remind how stylish and witty the first installment was a decade ago. Lacking a single memorable joke or striking image, First Class is as perfunctory and passionless as would-be franchise resurrections get.