7.8

1. Oct 27, 2014
    Lead by excellent performances from James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender, First Class, does a good job of crafting the origins of the X-Men seen in previous movies. Admittedly it doesn’t do anything particularly different to many of the other Marvel movies, and the plot arguably jumps around a little too much, but fans of the superhero genre won’t be disappointed by what they see here.
  2. Oct 16, 2014
    Incredible.
    This film is almost greater than the original X-Men movies, so spectacular!

The first thing that totally made me love this movie is that there’s always something going on, it just kept going and going and I love it. Another thing is the video editing, it’s so unique and professional. There’s also many unique things that totally surprised me, which made the film superb!
    X-Men: First Class is a wonderful prequel film that totally is greater than the original, and there’s not many directors that have been successful with that in recent years. The story is awesome, it’s so deep and well thought-out. Aside from that is First Class a very entertaining film that got an awesome opening scene and ending. The soundtrack is another aspect of the film that truly is insanely great, Henry Jackman is from now on one of my favorite composers.

Even though it's an incredible film, it got some downsides like vague CGI and some less great actors, but it’s still one of my favorite movies of all time.

One of the best prequel films in history.

X-men: First Class get a 8.8/10
  3. Sep 23, 2014
    This was a very pleasant surprise. After the infamous X3 and X-Men Origins, the X-Men franchise was slowly crumbling. One good movie could rejuvenate the franchise; instead we got a fantastic movie. The acting stood out, especially Michael Fassbender's performance as a young Magneto. I was immediately invested in the story and captivated by the progression of Magneto's character. I thought this was done very well. X-Men: First Class is not your typical summer blockbuster; it's got more layers to it. For one, the script is witty and effective. I found myself on the edge of my seat just waiting for the very well written dialogue. Another merit this film carries is the amazing soundtrack composed by Henry Jackman. It was evident that Hans Zimmer had his fingerprints all over it, for the music sounded similar to Inception, which is never a bad thing. Watching all my favorite X-Men characters when they were young was really cool, and just makes this film all the more special to me. I would rank this film among the greatest superhero/comic book movies ever made. Expand
  4. Aug 24, 2014
    I was fully prepared to hate this movie, no denying that. I can't say I'm a die hard fan, but I used to read all the X-Men comics that were published in my home country, Finland, and although that isn't all that's been published in USA, I had a pretty solid idea about what was supposed to happen, and who would be in a movie like this.

Either my memory is getting rusty in all the right
    places, or mixing up people, background, ages and timelines didn't really do much damage to this movie - because it rocked!

A bit uneven in pace (having a very calm training-the-kids moment in the middle which kind of halts the action that's been happening so far). I did, however, fully appreciate the fact that they used the same clip in the beginning as they did in the first X-Men film back in 2000.

The cast was... well, it was either good or rather insignificant. The choice of James McAvoy as Charles Xavier was a little odd, but he grew on you. Michael Fassbender was pretty good as future Magneto. Kevin Bacon totally rocked as Sebastian Shaw, and under all that make-up, Jason Flemyng as Azazel was probably the most impressive one of them all to watch.

Charles and Eric took center stage, with Shaw, and everyone else shrank back, being less and less important. Sure, they did their part, but it seemed they just sort of... hung back and tried to create little issues of their own (which were many and meaningful, considering the overall themes, but that still wasn't enough to make them shine).

The action was good, the special effects were awesome, and the emotional depth was just right. Small details like names and faces *cough*Wolverine*cough* - and Magneto's helmet - were thrown around, which was awesome.

So, as much as I prepared to hate this film, I have to admit I shall be watching it again, and even hope they'll continue with this version of the X-Men universe, because they are off to a rather good start.
  5. Aug 16, 2014
    This movie is not considered the greatest X-Men movie, but I think it is. It's really really good at combining the two genres. It's interesting how a mixture of Cold War historical fiction and comic book action can be so compelling. It gives incredible depth to Charles, Eric, and Raven (Mystique) and makes me like the earlier movies better. The effects were great, the villain was great, and for an origin story, the plot was great! I think it's better that the origin story came after the original trilogy because we already care a lot about Charles and Eric, and the Beast and Mystique haven't been explained a lot in the original trilogy. We want to know more about them, and this explains it to us. The addition of Emma Frost also adds to the story. I can't get enough of this movie, and it is deserving of a score of 8. It's very close to a 9. Expand
  6. Aug 15, 2014
    Really good film good action good story and good acting a very good x men movie.

my ratting 7.9/10 8/10 for action/special effects 7.9 for story 7.8/10 for acting 7.9 for characters/character development
  7. Jul 25, 2014
    All the xmen have been poorly handled in my opinion. They have the worst casts, they bring in mutants that were completely irrelevant in the comic books. They seem like they are made by committees of people who don't really read the comics. I hate every single one of them. This one was probably the one I hated the least though and is somewhat entertaining in places.
  8. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט מאוד יפה, מספר ממש יפה את הסיפורים של אקסבייר ומגניטו. שחקנים מצוינים שעשו את זה אפילו יותר טוב מהקודמים. סרט האקס מן הכי טוב עד שיצא אקס-מן העתיד שהיה
  9. Jun 7, 2014
    This is a very good super-hero movie...

The writing is good, the cast is talented, the action scenes are very well shoot, the directing is strong, etc... it's seems obvious that he knows the characters and the universe it shows that he knew exactly what to have his actors do and the actors knew what the characters needed to do. I can tell the director is knows very well the X-Men
    universe.

This movie has a lot of good elements about it, but I can't help but feel that the ending is abrupt, like they needed to end the movie intermediately and they just rushed the end. Maybe this is because I am not a big X-Men fan, but I still recommend this movie a lot, it's just a good super-hero movie.
  10. May 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not like this movie at all. I don't want to see a movie about the origins of the X-Men that only has 1 of the original 5 X-Men (Beast) in it. There was no Cyclops, no Jean, no Angel, no Iceman and no way this movie about the origins of the X-Men could be any good. This movie is highly overrated and it's funny how so many people say such good things about this movie but it was the second worst box office opening in the franchise. There is only one real X-Men in this movie (Beast), with a whole lot of C-List X -Men in this movie and a 30 second Wolverine cameo. If the movie was so good how come it performed so poorly during it's opening weekend. If you call yourself a true X-Men fan you might not want to see this movie, it is utterly horrible. Expand
  11. May 23, 2014
    Probably one of the best X-Men movies.Period. Matthew Vaughn made the characters a lot more compelling than the other movies in the franchise. Fine Performances by the cast
  12. Mar 8, 2014
    The best in the series so far. It improves greatly on the previous film by giving us more character development and emotion between characters, and when you combine that with a better story this time round along with some intense action sequences, you simply have a great movie.
  13. Mar 4, 2014
    Apart from the flat supporting characters and a few doses of overly cheesy dialogue, this film is at the top end of superhero movies. A script which makes you toss and turn sides throughout the film is commendable and some truly great acting from McAvoy and Fassbender. Easily the best X-Men film and recommendable to all.
  14. Dec 22, 2013
    X-Men: The First Class is far from being a perfect movie, or even a great one. This movie starts poorly with terrible acting (except the actors who portray adult Xavier and Magento), and a poor script that makes it feel like a teenage movie for Nickalodean. The special effects are pretty bad too. Everything looks fake, especially Beast. Fortunately the movie does take a turn for the better about halfway into the movie when one of the characters (Darwin) gets killed, then the movie starts to become what it should have been from the start. Although they say it's not how you start but how you finish, this time; how you start does matter. Expand
  15. Dec 16, 2013
    Surprising movie, I thought it would be worst. It gives a fresh start to the X-men zaga. The majority of the performances were great and created an interesting, but sometimes unclear movie.
  16. Nov 20, 2013
    I think the remake of the xmen is better than the original The cast is great ,the plot is thrilling and the visuals are astonishing It's a really good movie that I think everyone should watch
  17. Nov 13, 2013
    A breath of fresh air to the X-Men series and the strengths in character development are great. My only problem with this film is the lack of a real punch as the end drags a bit.
  18. Nov 11, 2013
    Classic & Dramatic Entertainer Will Always Lead To The Ranks Of First Class !!
    **X-Men First Class**

* This movie is by far a Classic entertainer with Dramatic screenplay and visuals which dazzles you in excitement Brilliant Screen Play & Characters performance are the most charming features. This movie stands for the name itself First Class This movie had a positive features in
    which the characters were well developed and their interaction during the screen play was excellent the director needs to get credit for this brilliant performance in both direction and screenplay This movie got some of the most talented actors and their performance was fantastic as they were very much suited for there roles in this film .The interaction between these actors are the most charming features to this film Forgot to mention about another positive thing in this film that is Music!the soundtracks and the back ground effects were fantastic it shines as one of the most brilliant features in this film The action sequence and visual effects are beautiful you cannot see any errors since its done perfectly Overall this movie is fantastic and worth your time its certainly not dull or boring its Exciting as well as Charming or you can simply say its a First Class Expand
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    after a bad movie(origins wolverine)i thought the x-men franchise would decline,i wasn´t expecting anything good but this movie is absolutely great with a good restart.
  20. Sep 15, 2013
    An exceptional prequel to the original X-Men films, First Class delivers with large amounts of vitality, a cast that pulls off their performance immaculately, and a script that handles its source material with a meticulous hand.
  21. Aug 28, 2013
    Now this is where the X-Men Franchise begins to redeems itself...

After "The Last Stand" and "Origins" had disappointed me, I was so happy as well as confused to hear about the beginning of A new X-Men trilogy, but then upon hearing it was going to be based on one of my favourite All-Time Mini-series "First Class", hype necessarily followed.

Also considering the abundance of
    Super-Hero movies coming out this year, X-Men was the only one I was really looking forward too.

I was not disappointed.

Though people seemed pissed off due to the fact that a majority of recognizable characters were missing from this film, i was really happy with that because this film features all these virtually unknown characters who are just brilliant and played by superb actors.

The only problem I had with it was that it did not follow the "First Class" comic storyline but 10 minutes in I DID NOT CARE because the 60's style they've gone for here is the equivilent of a James Bond movie, the friendship and differences between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as Xavier & Magneto is so engaging and tensious to watch, while Kevin Bacon was an astounding villian and January Jones just screamed "Fembot".

The Story worked well around all the characters and themes X-men were made for, fear of mutants (Which was originally a shot a communism) and an INGENIOUS idea of "Mutant Warfare" during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Final Verdict: Though we still gotta get through "Green Lantern" and "Captain America" X-Men is literally (And i know this is cheesy) First Class. 8.5
  22. Aug 24, 2013
    [6.9] It definitely exceeds expectations, but it doesn't go above and beyond. Maybe above, but definitely not beyond. By X-Men standards, this is a great movie, but for me, it does what every other X-Men movie does: it tries to explain itself too much (and at this point, X-Men doesn't need much explaining). It does this to a lesser extent, and the characters almost make up for it, but when I watch this movie I'm all too aware that the X-Men are trying to teach me about the X-Men. That's what the internet is for. Hell, that's what comic books are for. Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    Don't judge the book by it's cover.
    Same with this movie.
    Great one if you want to know how it all started or if you just want a good movie to your saturday snacks.
  24. Jul 28, 2013
    X-Men: First Class succeeds by having actual storyline aside neat special effects and flashy action scenes. The characters have more depth than average movie superheroes and there are successful tie-ins with actual historical events. This prequel is positive surprise that even non-fan of Marvel movies can enjoy.
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    Although the characters were interresting and the refferences were enjoyable, the story was weak and predictable, making the movie a stretched boring mess.
  26. Jun 12, 2013
    Definitely better made than the previous films in the franchise. What bothered me, however, were the vast majority of previously unused mutants picked for the film. I think they should have stuck with the stories of the main characters. The CIA agent laying her burden on Xavier was very convenient, and there was no need for the romance angle. Mystique and Beast should have been explored more. In the absence of Wolverine, the more physical mutants seemed to be clearly lacking. But the downward spiral is really reversed by the focus on Magneto and Professor X, which was the strongest point about the film. Expand
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    X-men first class is the best x-men movie ever made. Deal with it. It has great action and story. The effects are impressive and it's the best one. Matthew Vughn did an excellent work after kick-ass
  28. Jun 2, 2013
    Personally my favorite X-Men movie mainly because unlike most of the other X-Men movies this film has strong character development especially with Xavier and Magneto.
  29. May 27, 2013
    I don't like almost all X-men movies. I don't like Wolverine, Victor Creed, Wade Wilson, their weapons, horrible.
    I don't like big muscle characters like Hugh Jackman, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson.
    But X-men, 2000 was not bad.
    X-Men: First Class is great. I love the character Erik Lehnsherr.
  30. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. X-Men: First Class is a reboot to the franchise. Yes, it is a reboot, but it is not a superhero movie to be trifled with. Strength of this movie is very much in evidence and true; it could be noticed by its ability to give you so much power. I want to say more- my favourite superhero movie of the year is robust, dark and vicious. Starring an acclaimed actor James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and alongside him is Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr and directed by Matthew Vaughn, a firm and handsome motion picture, let's have a ferocious battle alright!!?

I have this notion that could proudly tell the world that what makes X- Men FS a worthy motion picture is its terrific screenplay. In my opinion, the collaboration of the four writers (Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn) is praise-worthy and they got the work done right! The dialogues or lines in the film are so insightful and meaningful and they strike upon my judgment. To add some sugar in the mentioned praise, the script never failed to make viewers smile with its charming and humorless lines.

James McAvoy is undeniably appealing in the movie. His presence indirectly brought me to the top level of uneasiness, asking me if that kind of charm could easily be matched. His performance is one of the best performances in the movie and he led the character brightly. Another genius illuminator of the movie is Michael Fassbender but there's extra gravity strength surrounded him which somewhat pull the movie down. To me, his character seemed like insignificant in the first half of the movie and this so obvious when he started working with Charles Xavier but let's cover that up with a bright blanket, the character Erik made a powerful and important appearance during the few final acts of the movie that turned the movie around. To wrap it up, Fassbender delivered an acting performance that is being filled with charisma. I traded my praise for Kevin Bacon's too. He is so relaxed and cunning-looking while driving the character which made Sebastian Shaw a successful smart villain. The performances by the supporting casts have a mixed taste. Two great examples would be Jennifer Lawrence's correct interpretation and Zoë Kravitz's boring delivery for the character.

The visual effects are neither jaw-dropping nor special, it is just acceptable and it never goes beyond that. Spectacular? Nope. I'm so reluctant to mention this, but pace of the film during the first half of the movie is incorrect-moves quite too quickly and left some of the characters undeveloped. The editing wouldn't want to be touched that much but the beauty of that filmmaking element is very much secured during the 'training' scene. That mentioned scene is just perfectly executed.

X-Men: First Class is not one of the best films of the year but, its excellent screenplay and sparkling performances gave a rise to the fact that this film is not one of the worst films of the year.

[3.5/5]

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jun 9, 2011
    It's all vastly superior to Brett Ratner's scorched-earth "X-Men: The Last Stand," of course.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jun 3, 2011
    It's not the artistry of X-Men: First Class that's particularly striking; though it's finely crafted, the film feels less the product of a visionary director than of the Marvel movies machine working at maximum efficiency.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    Jun 3, 2011
    A cameo from an old-school X-Man only serves to remind how stylish and witty the first installment was a decade ago. Lacking a single memorable joke or striking image, First Class is as perfunctory and passionless as would-be franchise resurrections get.