5.3

1. Mar 18, 2012
    It's just a mess. The film rushes through so many things and doesnt give you any time to settle and as a result, you just don't care about most of the characters and some things are hard to follow. The acting and writing has many problems and overall its just hard to enjoy this film.
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    Wolverine is one of my favorite comic book characters that makes this film all the more painful. Although Hugh Jackman does a great job the story is just silly.
  3. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I so wanted this to be brilliant, after The Last Stand being average. Well, this film is very average The film is filled with plot holes, like why the hate between wolvie and sabertooth? I understand, wolverine wanted revenge for his love, but if she turned out to fake her death, and died from a guards bullet with wolvie and sabey fighting weapon xi side by side, it doesnt add up to their hatred in x men 1. also, why wait 6 years to enact their plan? and when wolverine hears kaylas cries, then appears to save her, whys his shirt suddenly dissapeered? Gambit wasn't really needed during the last part. All he on the island did was save wolvies live once and see the kids go off. The way Wolverine was made to forget wasn't ridiculous. In the comics, another character (with similar healing abilities) got shot in the head by an adimantium bullet also, and they too lost their memory. The film did seem to key itself into the x men saga, what with cyclops, emma frost and xavier in the film, but it seemed keyed in a little too neatly. The actors played their roles pretty well though. Hugh Jackman, Liev Schrieber, Ryan Reynolds, great acting. Mr Reynolds' portrayal of Deadpool (my fave Marvel character) was pretty good, quipping and the awesome fight scene at the beginning. But once he became Weapon XI, with his mouth sewn up, it became a bad portrayal of the character. Nethertheless, this film has garnered a spin-off Deadpool movie, so we gotta give them props on that. It does seem a little too fan pleasing, giving us all these x men characters within this film, and a few of them seemed to be there just for the hell of it (The Blob, will.i.am and Domonic Monaghauns characters) It should've been better though Expand
  4. Sep 4, 2011
    I liked this movie because (as the title suggested) it finally explained all the mysteries surrounding wolverine that I've wondered about. Where and when he was born, how he got his metal bones, the big gaps in his memory, the "true" story behind Three Mile Island (I thought that bit was pretty funny), etc.)
    The acting, script, and directing were all pretty good too. I'm glad I finally
    The acting, script, and directing were all pretty good too. I'm glad I finally got to see this.
  5. Jun 8, 2012
    Don't give a drama director an action film. That's a lesson that Hollywood should learn with this stinker. It cost $150 million dollars...and none of it showed on screen. Hugh Jackman is great as always, but the whole film felt like an apology for X Men: Last stand. Liev Schreiber was also quite good in here as Sabretooth. But the whole film felt disjointed and anemic.
  6. Jul 9, 2013
    It's a fun action movie but is too light hearted than the previous movies with a simple storyline and boring characters and over the top action scenes. The best part of the movie is that Wolverine has his own movie at last killing bad dudes.
  7. May 9, 2011
    Entertaining, in that the special effects are well done and it is basically non-stop action. The plot wasn't bad, but left a lot to be desired. I guess I just wish they had done more with the potential they had, especially given that they were working with a character like Wolverine.
  8. Aug 19, 2015
    I think a bunch of people are like sheep, they go along with what everyone else thinks. I loved this movie and have watched it at least 4 times. I bought it on DVD I like it so much. The film is not a mess like fanguychris thinks (one of the sheeple)!
  9. Jan 28, 2011
    X-Men Origins is not a bad movie, after all, Hugh Jackson is still great, but the poor screenplay and some unconvincing visual effects make this film a large step bellow the first two entries!
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    Disappointing origin story for a character who was already overexposed. The story is lacking, with the only moment of interest being the scene we already knew happened. When Wolverine fights, there is no sense of urgency because he cannot die, a fact that is never explained or developed in any way. The action can be cheesy and the acting mediocre. There are some nice cameos from otherDisappointing origin story for a character who was already overexposed. The story is lacking, with the only moment of interest being the scene we already knew happened. When Wolverine fights, there is no sense of urgency because he cannot die, a fact that is never explained or developed in any way. The action can be cheesy and the acting mediocre. There are some nice cameos from other X-men characters, such as the Blob and Gambit but this remains an unsatisfying installment in the series. Expand
  11. Aug 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE is quite disappointing. The title hints that it centers on Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), which is totally, absolutely true, but who knew that we wouldn't get to see all the other X-Men that we love in this one? Expand
  12. Aug 22, 2012
    This film was not bad, but it wasn't good either. For what I can say, out of all the X-Men films including First Class, this was the weakest. I don't think I can possibly mention many bad points of the lead character, because it's not like Hugh Jackman didn't put in any effort into his character's behalf. He's been playing the god-damned Wolverine since the beginning of the 21st century,This film was not bad, but it wasn't good either. For what I can say, out of all the X-Men films including First Class, this was the weakest. I don't think I can possibly mention many bad points of the lead character, because it's not like Hugh Jackman didn't put in any effort into his character's behalf. He's been playing the god-damned Wolverine since the beginning of the 21st century, so I think he knows what he's doing. Besides him, I think the production team kind of threw some characters against a background and dialogue was added soon after, which is why some of it didn't seem to make much sense. But it's not like I didn't like all of the characters, I liked discovering characters I've seen before and it was quite fascinating seeing a popstar portray themselves as one of the mutants. To sum it up: predictable, violent fun. Expand
  13. Jul 22, 2014
    This movie is a dissapointment. But is it **** No. You see the movie does answer the overall question: How did Logan become the 'Wolverine'? Hugh Jackman did a good performance though in this film. But the screenpkay is uninspiring and the CGI is poor.
  14. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" tells a beautiful originstory of the hardened lone wolf Logan, aka the Wolverine. The humor, the action, the romance, the pacing, it all works out incredibly well. The only downside... is Deadpool. Poor Pooly. Expand
  15. Jun 25, 2013
    I absolutely love this movie. It brings Wraith, Deadpool, Blob, and Gambit to life. What more can you ask for? This has some dull plot transitions, but otherwise, it's an outstanding film that certainly hits home to the comic fans.
  16. Aug 5, 2013
    Hugh Jackman gives it his all, but unfortunately, the story is too cluttered with unnecessary plot points, failing to go truly in-depth into a real origin story. On the bright side, the film contained plenty of engaging action sequences to keep the mind off the overall sloppy script.
  17. Nov 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. X-Men: Le origini-Wolverine è stato uno dei migliori film di supereroi di sempre.Una storia coinvolgente che narra le origini di Logan e di Victor Creed fin da quando erano fratelli a quando diventano nemici,l'introduzione di nuovi personaggi tra i quali Gambit o addirittura Deadpool,che questa volta è visto come un personaggio molto più serio di quello del fumetto.Un capolavoro assoluto. Expand
  18. Jun 12, 2011
    The worst travesty possible against the most bad ass x-man. Wolverine was portrayed as a candy ass in this so called movie, he is the best there is at what he does even though what he does is not very nice. Did the jackass that made this "Movie" ever read a wolverine comic book or for that matter a Dead Pool comic book what a tool find a new career to suck at you bloated hack.
  19. Jan 5, 2012
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a seriously flawed film. The first fifteen minutes or so are really quite entertaining - a visually stunning and visceral title sequence with Wolverine and Sabretooth literally running through history, and fighting in the American Civil War, WWI, WWII and Vietnam, whilst being accompanied by Harry Gregson-Williams' suitably epic score. We then have a quick tripX-Men Origins: Wolverine is a seriously flawed film. The first fifteen minutes or so are really quite entertaining - a visually stunning and visceral title sequence with Wolverine and Sabretooth literally running through history, and fighting in the American Civil War, WWI, WWII and Vietnam, whilst being accompanied by Harry Gregson-Williams' suitably epic score. We then have a quick trip to Nigeria, where each member of the elite team of mutants Wolverine joins demonstrates their skills in a spectacular fashion whilst fighting a warlord and his henchmen. After this first act though, the film becomes drab and lifeless, poorly plotted and filled with cliche. The actors' performances are generally sub-par - Hugh Jackman attempts to get by on a variety of grumpy facial expressions, Lynn Collins is wooden, Will.i.am should stick to his music career, and Danny Huston isn't even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Brian Cox, let alone playing the same character Cox so perfectly portrayed in X2. Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Durand are both entertaining enough, but in the film all too briefly, and a character with such fanboy devotion as Gambit deserves to be played by a much better actor than Taylor Kitsch. The only person in the whole cast who really impresses is Liev Schreiber, who develops Sabretooth/Victor Creed from the hulking, brainless henchman he was in X-Men into an intelligent, driven and genuinely frightening antagonist in this film. The film's screenplay, written by David Benioff and Skip Woods is truly woeful. No wonder the film feels so disconnected from any semblance of reality and the dialogue promotes far too many unintended snorts of laughter - the script resembles something a toddler scrawled with crayons. Added to this some rather wobbly visual effects, boring and uncreative action sequences and a truly terrifying cameo by a de-aged Patrick Stewart, X-Men Origins: Wolverine becomes a pretty terrible example of a superhero film. Hugh Jackman and director Gavin Hood (amazingly the same man behind the brilliant South African drama Tsotsi) have succeeded in making the most interesting character in the X-Men canon boring - we now know everything there is to know about the adamantium-clawed amnesiac's past, so he holds no more intrigue. James Howlett, Logan, Wolverine, whatever you want to call him, he's just dull now. Expand
  20. Sep 21, 2011
    In the end, after all that stunning action sequences and frantic chases, "X Men Origins: Wolverine" fails to join inside the category of the X Men franchise because of its terrible story and its failure to develop any of the characters within the movie.
  21. Nov 18, 2011
    It was an interesting story to see how Wolverine became the mutant that he is today. Hugh Jackman's great performance and a lot of action make this worth watching.
  22. Sep 2, 2010
    a ok action flick that does pretty well on the action but not much els. felt like charicters where just tossed in there for fan service instead of just focusing on a few to flush any type of real story out of it. it was just ok and thats about it.
  23. Jan 31, 2011
    This movie is a train wreck. Continuity isn't followed, not only from the comics, but even X-Men and X2. It's as though no one at Marvel was thinking when they guided the making of this film. Liev Schreiber was excellent as Victor Creed/Sabretooth and Hugh Jackson continued his perfect version of Logan. While Gambit was great, he was forced, as was Scott Summers and Professor X, evenThis movie is a train wreck. Continuity isn't followed, not only from the comics, but even X-Men and X2. It's as though no one at Marvel was thinking when they guided the making of this film. Liev Schreiber was excellent as Victor Creed/Sabretooth and Hugh Jackson continued his perfect version of Logan. While Gambit was great, he was forced, as was Scott Summers and Professor X, even though their whole inclusion implies that they know what happened on 3-Mile Island, not Alkali Lake. Yet...in the X-movies, they have no clue. Logan even awoke from being shot with no memories except what began that moment. And, at that moment, he was on the island where he allegedly got his bones and claws. Wouldn't he remember that?? Idiots. Expand
  24. Mar 2, 2011
    While I didn't hate X-Men The Last Stand, it wasn't anywhere as awesome as the first two. So I was worried this movie would be worse. Thankfully, I was wrong, and improved on aspects that I didn't like from X-Men 3. Sure, it's still not as good as the first two (which both get a 10 from me), but it sure looks like the X-Men franchise is heading towards improvement.
  25. Aug 25, 2011
    Wolverine is so lazy, Garfield could've made it. You remember in the first X-Men movie when Wolverine first whipped out his claws? Remember how one pierced his skin and slowly cam out? What a downgrade 9 years later. Wolverine's claws are so fake looking that they don't even seem to move with his body. When a review starts out by complaining about the main character's claws beingWolverine is so lazy, Garfield could've made it. You remember in the first X-Men movie when Wolverine first whipped out his claws? Remember how one pierced his skin and slowly cam out? What a downgrade 9 years later. Wolverine's claws are so fake looking that they don't even seem to move with his body. When a review starts out by complaining about the main character's claws being unconvincing, you know you're in trouble. Expand
  26. Aug 27, 2011
    This is even worse than X-Men 3. Filled with plot holes, laughable visual effects and wearying cliches, this prequel amounts to nothing more than explanations for loose ends in the main trilogy. The plot became really confusing and some of the characters put into this movie were unnecessary. This movie could have been so much more than it amounted to be.
  27. Nov 28, 2012
    A pretty silly movie with a good dose of punts to the groins of Wolverine fans.
  28. May 25, 2014
    Now I a lot of the critics and fans have thrown a lot of hate on this film but I have a hard time understanding why. It's a great superhero film about one of my favorite characters, it gives tons of back story to his complex persona and has loads of great action! The only criticism that I completely understand is what was done with Deadpools character... He starts off great but the endingNow I a lot of the critics and fans have thrown a lot of hate on this film but I have a hard time understanding why. It's a great superhero film about one of my favorite characters, it gives tons of back story to his complex persona and has loads of great action! The only criticism that I completely understand is what was done with Deadpools character... He starts off great but the ending completely betrays everything his characters is about. However, that is a small complaint to what is otherwise an excellent superhero film! Expand
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    Not without its emotional moments and quite thrilling action pieces, Wolverine still manages to live down the once strong X-Men Franchise.And with horrible bloated dialogue. I give this movie 22%.
  30. Feb 18, 2013
    What.the.hell is up with the bad reviews? This is probably the BEST X-men movie I have EVER seen. And I've watched all of them. I just, I don't, what is wrong with you people? And why the hell is there only one critic review? What the f*ck happened metacritic?
  31. Dec 19, 2014
    Why? Just why.
    Hugh Jackman forever will be the best Wolverine ever, but something is completely wrong with this picture. Extremely unfaithful to the comics, by creating atrocities as the "Deadpool". Yes, Deadpool in quotes, because that's not a Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds was not even a convincing Wade Wilson.
    It has awful cinematography, overrated screenplay and exaggeration on CGI. This
    Why? Just why.
    It has awful cinematography, overrated screenplay and exaggeration on CGI. This could never have happened. Worst super-hero thematic movie ever
  32. Oct 3, 2010
    How am I the SECOND PERSON to rate this movie after two years!? Anyways, it is an action flick and a very good one at that, but only for the action.
  33. Jan 30, 2012
    Easily the best X-men movie,
    Wolverine's Orgins delivers a deep story, that moves along at a great pace with great action (more so than X-men First class which is my 2nd favorite).
    The movie is like eye candy, except with the familiarity of our favorite superhero Wolverine that we all grew up with. This movie does not deserve the rating of 6.3 That's utter **** to such a visual piece of
    Easily the best X-men movie,
    The movie is like eye candy,

This movie does not deserve the rating of 6.3
    That's utter **** to such a visual piece of art.

Don't just watch this movie,
    Enjoy every moment as you watch it multiple times like i have.
  34. Feb 24, 2013
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine will hopefully be the first in a line of many films explaining the beginnings of the X-men franchise. This film was filled with unbelievable stuns, great action scenes, and tremendous special effect. Like Charles Xavier himself, the writers got right into the mind of the watchers and as soon as the movie started getting predictable and done, they throw you a curve,X-Men Origins: Wolverine will hopefully be the first in a line of many films explaining the beginnings of the X-men franchise. This film was filled with unbelievable stuns, great action scenes, and tremendous special effect. Like Charles Xavier himself, the writers got right into the mind of the watchers and as soon as the movie started getting predictable and done, they throw you a curve, right at the beginning of an amazing ending. This movie was great!...and for all you lazy, impatient people... make sure you watch the credits all the way to the end. Expand
  35. Dec 6, 2012
    This movie was alright. It was not as good as the X-Men: Origins or X2 but it was decent (and way better than that absolute piece of crap movie called "X3: The Last Stand". It has action, it has Wolverine, it has the story of the origin of Wolverine, not much else to say. It's not amazing, but adequate.
  36. Feb 6, 2013
    BAD MOVIE!!!! This was a horrible way to explain what happened to Wolverine. This was horribly scripted, horribly acted, and just overall BAD! Please let the next Wolverine movie be better than this. PLEASE!
  37. Apr 24, 2014
    This X-Men movie focuses solely on Wolverine, but that does not make I better. While Jackman lays the character well, the movie suffers from clichéd action movie sequences and a jumbled plot.
  38. Oct 27, 2013
    after two very good films and another nice film the x-men franchise made this bad movie,there was so much expectation with this movie but the movie was too bad.
  39. Nov 13, 2013
    A weak over populated romp with too many elements to follow and not enough time to do it in. It seemed very clear that Fox Pictures was using this as a platform to launch multiple franchises.
  40. Jan 6, 2016
    Summer movies whimper to a start with the wheezing Wolverine, a transparent attempt to squeeze a faltering franchise for its last drop of box-office juice. It should work for at least a week, until Star Trek opens and blows it out of the water by showing how an origin story should be done. Anyone looking for dangerous thrills is out of luck unless they risk federal prosecution by illegallySummer movies whimper to a start with the wheezing Wolverine, a transparent attempt to squeeze a faltering franchise for its last drop of box-office juice. It should work for at least a week, until Star Trek opens and blows it out of the water by showing how an origin story should be done. Anyone looking for dangerous thrills is out of luck unless they risk federal prosecution by illegally downloading the movie on the Web.

The movie itself is all PG-13 prim and proper. Look at the drag-ass title — X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Presumably, that will separate it from the first two X-Men movies, directed by Bryan Singer, which were pretty good, and the third one, directed by Brett Ratner, which should have been subtitled, X-Men: Piece of ****

Wolverine, directed by South Africa's Gavin Hood of the Oscar-winning Tsotsi and the widely reviled, Oscar Kryptonite that was Rendition, isn't an outright disaster like X3. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine was always the best thing about these X movies. And he's center screen here, repeatedly waking up pissed off, claws extended like raging hard-ons, and howling his rage at a world that's done him wrong. Jackman is a world-class charmer and it's a shame to waste a whole movie showing him pissed off. But, hey, Marvel Comics created him that way.

The opening credit sequence gets us up speed as we meet little mutant Jimmy Logan in 1845, coping with daddy issues and a half-brother, Victor Creed, with a bug up his ass. The boys conveniently stop aging when Jimmy becomes Jackman and Victor morphs into Liev Schreiber (with fangs befitting his new ID as Sabretooth). Soon the boys are manning it up through a series of wars, from the Civil to Vietnam, though the scenes look like outtakes from Glory, Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now. We learn that the evil militarist Stryker (Danny Huston) is hellbent on organizing an army of mutants called Team X. But, after a grisly campaign in Africa, Logan has had it with inflicting death and never dying. He just wants to settle down shirtless by splitting logs in Canada and banging a hottie schoolteacher (Lynn Collins). But before you can sing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK," Stryker has killed Logan's chances at a love story and our vengeful hero submits to an operation that gives him a skeleton of impenetrable adamantium. Presto, Wolverine as Weapon X! Am I going too fast for you?

Screenwriters David Benioff and Skip Woods, who should know better, cave to pressure to crowd the movie with incident. All kinds of characters are introduced. I could have done with more of Remy LeBeau, aka Gambit (Taylor Kitsch), a New Orleans gambler, and less of Fred Dukes, aka The Blob (Kevin Durand), a fat bastard who looks like Mickey Rourke's character in The Wrestler gone to blubber and seems to belong in another movie, aka Austin Powers in Goldmember. It's all a jumble and, worse, a damned impersonal one. The assault of digital effects (OK, Wolfie and the helicopter is a keeper) makes you feel trapped inside a video game. The climax on Three-Mile Island (you heard me) connects to the mutants we met in X1. But it's too little and too late. At the end of the movie, Wolfie has his memory erased. I'm envious.
  41. Jan 1, 2013
    Overall, X-Men Origins Wolverine is ok. It might be the weakest of the X-Men films but not my much. I have never been much of a fan of these films so they all are more or less on the same level. The films characters are ok nothing spectacular but they are ok. Wolverine is awesome as always. The story is slow to start out but eventually it picks up I wish it did it sooner though. I giveOverall, X-Men Origins Wolverine is ok. It might be the weakest of the X-Men films but not my much. I have never been much of a fan of these films so they all are more or less on the same level. The films characters are ok nothing spectacular but they are ok. Wolverine is awesome as always. The story is slow to start out but eventually it picks up I wish it did it sooner though. I give X-Men Origins Wolverine a pass is an ok film with decent characters and story and some good action scenes. I saw it once and was somewhat entertained. I do not know if I would see it again. If you are fan of X-Men I would say check it out you might like it. If you are not a fan of the X-Men films then this movie will not change your mind. Its more or less the same quality as the other films, which is ok a little weaker than the rest but not by much. Expand
  42. May 30, 2016
    Poor and predictable script, Wolverine: Origins wasted chance iconic character tell his start in film full of meaningless action, although Hugh Jackman.
  43. Nov 10, 2013
    The worst superhero movie out there by far. Do not watch if you value the X-Men franchise at all. If you don't value the X-Men franchise there are plenty of better dumb blow 'em up movies out there. Written by movie executives as it completely ignores all the origins work done in X-Men 2. Deadpool is reduced to a boss fight. The characters are almost universally dull.
    Arrrgh I hated this movie.
  44. May 13, 2016
    I'm definitely on Hugh Jackman's side because what Fox did to the Wolverine was making a blah origins story that doesn't need to be tinkered with. I guess The Last Stand was a better but decent advantage of the X-Men films altogether, but Origins: Wolverine is the weakest of them all. I felt that the film was just too rushed to begin filming this snooze and look what they did to Deadpool!I'm definitely on Hugh Jackman's side because what Fox did to the Wolverine was making a blah origins story that doesn't need to be tinkered with. I guess The Last Stand was a better but decent advantage of the X-Men films altogether, but Origins: Wolverine is the weakest of them all. I felt that the film was just too rushed to begin filming this snooze and look what they did to Deadpool! Unlike the recent awesome Deadpool movie, Origins, however, was supposed to be a badass spandex-wearing anti-hero (with a mask) who has nothing to do with the entire X-Men crew, but then Deadpool started to go all grumbling and that's why things starting to get even worse. The plot was alright, but the CGI visual effects have run its course. I have nothing to say about Hugh Jackman's performance as Logan/Wolverine. I'm very excited that he nailed it through every segment of the movie. I hope he'll be fine in the now R-rated Wolverine 3 movie and finally sealed the deal on Wolvie's fate. Sucks to be this movie, but it doesn't need to be light, it just doesn't need to be polished, it needs a taste of excitement. Just a matter of time a time to rent this movie and skip it for good until X-Men Apocalypse. Expand
  45. Aug 25, 2014
    I was trying my best to think of this as a good movie, like one worth of 4 stars, but I have to admit the truth: I was disappointed.

I am a fan of the X-Men, and while I have read little beyond the amount of magazines published in Finland between 1984-2009, I do know a few things about the comics. Also, I've really liked the three previous X-Men movies. Compared to those, this wasn't as well constructed.

First of all, there's nothing wrong with the acting. However, with some of their allotted screen time, I kept wondering if some of the characters were even necessary to the plot! The trailers were pretty misleading; Gambit and Cyclops, for one, didn't get more than fifteen minutes each, if even that. It was rather disappointing, considering I like both their characters, although they were not given a lot of life in this one.

As much as reboots sometimes bring to an already explored topic, I personally disliked the fact that some things about Logan's past was altered, as well as Cyclops', whose entire life was re-written. Not to mention Gambit... and who knows how many others I'm less familiar with. For me, that didn't appeal. Wolverine's past is rich enough on its own, without necessary bonds between unrelated characters, just to give them some screen time and time with the audience. I wonder if I would have enjoyed the movie more if I didn't know so much of the fandom beforehand. There have been "errors" in X-Men movies before, but none of them were as glaring and in plain sight as in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".

The plot was hectic. There was no beginning, middle, or end climax. The pace kept wavering, the action came and went, and while they manage to keep their balance between various plots and sub-plots, there was still something missing.

Perhaps they tried to mix too many things into one movie? It surely seemed so. Too many interesting characters, too many options, too many things to show. In the end the result was an odd-looking Deadpool getting in the way of Victor Creed and Wolverine trying to hack each other into pieces - for no actual reason as it turns out.
  46. Mar 8, 2014
    I think the largest disappointment in this movie is the script. It's just not good. At all. Well, I guess if you enjoy the X-Men series, you still shouldn't skip out this movie. It's just not as good as its predecessors, that's all.
  47. Jul 8, 2013
    Jesus Christ was this terrible. The CG on the claws was laughable and Deadpool, one of my favorite marvel characters, was utterly ruined in foul swoop with this trainwreck. Hopefully The Wolverine can redeem it.
  48. Mar 8, 2013
    The script is dominated by a thorough lack of imagination as well as pointless and cringe-worthy winks at the audience. This film relies so heavily on special effects that it is, ironically, not particularly entertaining.
  49. Mar 27, 2013
    Good story- Nice to get an early glimpse on the early mutants and how Wolverine came to be. I strongly disagree with most critics who down-right hated this film.
  50. Apr 13, 2013
    A prequel that tends to have moments on and off, but struggles to bring all the elements together. First off, the storyline kind of goes in a whole bunch of different directions. I mean, it starts off with Wolverine with the group looking for an artifact, then it ends up that someones trying to take out the group and then Wolverine gets his claws. I mean, it's just a mess. Also, I neverA prequel that tends to have moments on and off, but struggles to bring all the elements together. First off, the storyline kind of goes in a whole bunch of different directions. I mean, it starts off with Wolverine with the group looking for an artifact, then it ends up that someones trying to take out the group and then Wolverine gets his claws. I mean, it's just a mess. Also, I never thought I'd say this, but the characters are a bit too serious in there roles. They seem to be trying so hard to give a perfect performance. As far as the special effects, some of the effects are just real cheesy looking. As if someone on YouTube made this movie. Overall, it's a superhero origin story that struggles to become a successful movie. Expand
  51. Oct 12, 2015
    This is the only movie I've ever watched that I could do a better job of directing than the man who actually did it. With excellent actors playing the key roles of Wolverine, Sabretooth, and Deadpool; good actors for the rest of the roles; a decent special effects budget; and a script that could've been a good movie with some minor adjustments.

The movie isn't absolutely terrible. It

The movie isn't absolutely terrible. It would be hard to make something absolutely bad with everything it had going for it. But what it has is inexplicable off-camera deaths, poorly arranged cookie-cutter action scenes that seem to be simply a matter of showcasing people's abilities, and completely insane themes and adjustments.

A character is implied to have died off-screen, killed by a character who it is difficult to imagine actually hurting them. A seasoned combat professional shown using assault rifles during his military career is shown attempting to defeat someone in unarmed melee combat who he literally cannot cause an injury to in that way. A character is shown climbing a wall at the beginning of a scene before others enter an elevator, and simply vanishes for the rest of it.

This film's director made numerous terrible, unforgivable mistakes, all of which could have been resolved without substantially altering the budget or storyline, some of them while actually decreasing it, such as a ridiculous scene near the end involving fighting in a power plant with mouth-covering makeup on a character(and actor) known for his witty dialogue.
  52. Jul 5, 2013
    I was slightly disappointed in this film. My expectations were high after having seen the previous X-men. This film did fill in some gaps, but so much of the film consisted of unnecessary scenes. They did the same mistake as in the previous X-men, but to a greater degree: introduction of many new and interesting characters, most of which were underdeveloped. Characters like Bolt, the Blob,I was slightly disappointed in this film. My expectations were high after having seen the previous X-men. This film did fill in some gaps, but so much of the film consisted of unnecessary scenes. They did the same mistake as in the previous X-men, but to a greater degree: introduction of many new and interesting characters, most of which were underdeveloped. Characters like Bolt, the Blob, Agent Zero..Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson! Would you not have liked to see more of him? But no, we get a few minutes of Wade in the beginning, and a few minutes of Deadpool in the end. It seemed like a waste of talent from the actors that played all of the aforementioned characters. I believe it would have been so much better if they had just stuck to the central plot and the central characters: Wolverine, Sabretooth, Stryker, Kayla and a little more of Gambit. The best bit of the film was the relationship between Sabretooth and Wolverine, but even that was underdone by the main culprit poor writing. At least the action scenes were sorta OK! Expand
  53. Oct 16, 2014
    This film is much greater than what the reputation says.

This film is much greater than what the reputation says.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a great film when it comes to giving the audience a back-story of Wolverine's life before he joined X-Men. There's also a bunch of groovy action sequences that I truly enjoyed to watch, not to mention that I never got bored! But when you compare this and other X-Men films, it totally isn't that great. The reason are (SPOILERS) that there are some details that doesn't make sense at all, one of them is that Charles is walking in this film, which doesn't make sense. X-Men Origins: Wolverine plays out in the 80s, and First Class in the 60s. If you haven't seen X-Men: Days of Future Past this can be a problem, but if you have you might have a clue on why. In Days of Future Past, in the 60-70s, Charles got a drug that makes him walk again, but also results in weaker powers. In X-Men Origins: Wolverine you can hear Charles talk through his brain to the younger Scott, so he still got his powers. One possible explanation for this can be that Charles was able to develop the drug so he can use his powers and walk at the same time. This is just my theory. X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't a well thought-out film, but it's still great.

One other aspect of this film that's bad is the terrible CGI. The first X-Men film got wonderful CGI, which was in the year 2000, and this film was made in 2009. I mean come on?!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a great film that's better than the reputation, and the opening scene is awesome! Even though, it doesn't impress me when it comes to the story and CGI.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine get a 7.8/10
  54. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After our favorite mutants (and Storm) went head to head with Magneto, government black ops groups and the biggest villain of them all, Brett Ratner, Fox decided to delve itself into the history of the franchise's most popular character. Because demystifying the mutant whose likeability comes from his enigmatic past and personality is the best way to go.

Also, let's not forget, X-Men Origins came after the hate crime The Last Stand was. So expectations weren't high. People just wanted a decent, entertaining piece of cinema with some good action. And the trailer wasn't that bad, so a glimpse of hope was on the theatrical horizon.

While it didn't accomplish all of the above... it was still a piece of something (The 'S' doesn't stand for hope in this one).

The "plot" revolves around the history of its title character, how he got to know some of his later foes, allies like screaming and his trusty leather jacket. We also witness the way he goes through the well-known Weapon X program and a nuclear power plant. So the epic quest of revenge against its source material goes on.

Before anyone assumes this is going to be a long movie rant, be calm, that part comes later. First and foremost, let's get the sort of good parts out of the way:

-It killed Will i Am's acting career.

-The 2 aforementioned actors at least gave an effort. If you like Liev Schreiber (who plays Sabretooth/Victor Creed) in this, go watch Ray Donovan, but if you like him from the show, step away NOW.

-This bizarrely spawned one of the best movie tie-in games in recent memory.

-The real life depression documentary of Kevin Durand. Only after his stress eating did they decide to include Blob in the movie.

Now let's claw our way into the bad:

I'm still very much inclined here to say everything (which equals screaming and jumping from scene to scene). But what the hell, let's have some fun.

-The characters/actors I mentioned Schreiber and Jackman and their attempts, but despite their efforts, there's the dialogue. The difference with the other actors is they just didn't care. Look, its discount Kevin McHale. Just give him that mustache already and let him write Mein Kampf 2 or whatever.

-And there's a version of Wade Wilson here, played by Ryan Reynolds. Before his transformation, he's a fast talking, snarky crazy person with swords and guns. After then he even tries to get into character. I won't lie, I liked it. But what happens to Deadpool whose main trait is talking till his enemies go insane when he gets hit by directorial lightning? If you're answer is HE GETS HIS MOUTH SEWN UP and is given laser eyes, ability to teleport and retractable katana arm bones and you didn't even see the movie, you shouldn't be allowed to have pillows or use door knobs. This is the cinematic version of vegan bacon.

-The other characters aren't represented better either. They're all unrelatable and unlikable 2 dimensional screaming seizures waiting to happen. Somehow their interactions don't seem organic or entertaining either. From Gambit to the Blob, Emma Frost, Scott Summers, etc. everyone's getting the cinematic middle finger.

-Awful CGI Before the movie came out in theaters, a pre-post production screener was leaked online. It all depends on if you like your hookers with just AIDS, or with slight makeup on as well.

-So this is a mindless action movie with bad action. I too love to eat my cereal after flushing the milk down the toilet.

- And the formerly practical, now CGI claws look like the director's son loved Wolverine and knew how to use MS Paint.

-The "plot" As I said, it stripped the mystery from our enigmatic lone wolf AND he even gets 5 minutes of slap-stick comedy with his "new" claws (which basically should work the same as before, they're just covered with Adamantium now).

- For unknown reasons, the Weapon X program wants to kill Wolverine after they turned him into an even more unstoppable killing machine. That's almost as smart as trying to stop the Hulk by making him angry.

- Instead of showing us more than 3 minutes of battle scenes from all the wars Logan fought, we get a special episode of Twilight in the Woods... And they don't even play mutant baseball?!

- DODGING THE (Adamantium) BULLET. Throw a bath sponge at Sponge Bob's head and he'll get permanent amnesia, because that makes sense. Oh well, at least someone gets the luxury of not remembering this.

-Oh, and WILL I AM.

Closing remarks-This is part of why critics won't take comic book movies seriously. I say this movie should've been rated R for mentally challenged. Also, it's sad that after X2 I had to wait 8 years for the time when the nemesis of the X-Men isn't a movie director or screenwriter. I know a comic book series with the same title exists, but from what I read, that's stupid too. You don't have to make pizza out of (rotten) broccoli, okay?

On a scale of 1 to 10 X-Men Origins: Wolverine gets an invitation to the dead pool.
  55. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie is great, it has the action, special effects, good cast and some badass and funny scenes, but it isn't compatible with the other X-Men movies (there are some flaws in the story) or the comics (Deadpool), and there are many unnecessary scenes and CGI effects and moments as well as flaws in logic in certain events that can put down that great atmosphere that movie creates. And oneThis movie is great, it has the action, special effects, good cast and some badass and funny scenes, but it isn't compatible with the other X-Men movies (there are some flaws in the story) or the comics (Deadpool), and there are many unnecessary scenes and CGI effects and moments as well as flaws in logic in certain events that can put down that great atmosphere that movie creates. And one thing that pissed me off the most is that Logan and Victor were brothers that went through decades together, fought many wars side by side and who know what else not and then all of a sudden their relationship went 180 in one night?? Logan just walks away and Victor calls him 3 times and we now go our separate ways... that is almost insulting.
    This is yet again a story that is to long for a movie but still it was crushed into a 1 and a half hour movie and every thing in it seems rushed.
  56. Nov 16, 2013
    X-Men Origins continues to weaken a once great series.
    Nearly everything about this film is a misstep. The casting was completely wrong, the action is between okay and poor, and the story is terrible. The movie's premise itself was unnecessary to the series and with poor execution really damages it. Hugh Jackman just feels like is cashing a paycheck with the group of poor actors put around him.
  57. Mar 12, 2016
    Could have been so much better, could have been so much more. It also could have been alot worse in terms of film-making. The film rushes through alot of important stuff and doesn't, as an end result give you anytime to get to know certain characters or core elements that make Logan who he is. While Huge Jackman and Leiv Schrieber deserve heaps of praise for their roles in this movie,Could have been so much better, could have been so much more. It also could have been alot worse in terms of film-making. The film rushes through alot of important stuff and doesn't, as an end result give you anytime to get to know certain characters or core elements that make Logan who he is. While Huge Jackman and Leiv Schrieber deserve heaps of praise for their roles in this movie, Wolverine was sadly a silly action movie with a rushed story and bad special effects. Expand
  58. Jan 20, 2014
    This movie is full of action. I was amazed by the cinematography. The plot is somewhat outstanding. This movie is appropriate for teens. There are some parts that are gloomy, but overall this movie is B-rated.
  59. May 18, 2015
    Or so the story is not very interesting, has some script failures, the fight scenes are weak, and made the story of an interesting character, pretty boring tiring, which is a shame.
  60. Aug 15, 2014
    "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" is fun, don't get me wrong. It's action packed and stylish, but that's about all it has to offer. The dialogue is laughable, and the plot, well, the plot just isn't there. Despite the efforts of Hugh Jackman and Liev Schrieber, "Origins" just doesn't live up to the previous X-Men movies.
  61. Mar 16, 2015
    Hugh Jackman is the only thing good about this film. The rest of the film is dumb, filled with massive holes, repetitive, over-familiar, overstuffed, and quite frankly, pretty boring.
  62. Feb 1, 2016
    This movie is the definition of an underwhelming disappointment. 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' is a CGI-ridden, thinly told, loud and sometimes confusing installment to the "X-Men" franchise.

The movie starts where we see the title character, whose real name is James, as a young child. We also see him with his older brother, Victor Creed, who we later remember as "Sabretooth". James sees that there is a strange man lurking in his house who ends up killing who he thought was his father, and the young James ends up growing these sharp-like bones that extend from his knuckles...in anger, he kills this murderer, only later realizing that he just killed his own, real father.

Victor follows the distressed James and they run away together. We see them fighting in various historical wars as they grow up.

As time has passed, Wolverine (Hugh Jackman, still giving it his all) and Sabretooth (Liev Schreiber) are asked to join an army led by William Stryker (Danny Huston). In this army, they meet a range of other mutant soldiers including; Agent Zero (Daniel Henney) and Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds).

After seeing how much chaos this army causes, Logan (Jackman) decides to walk away, and years later, we find him living life peacefully with his girlfriend Kayla (Lynn Collins).

The movie's plot doesn't even start until at least 20 minutes after this, where we see Sabretooth supposedly murdering Kayla, which angers Wolverine and Stryker is able to get him back and experiment on him by placing adamantium metal into his skeleton.

The first (of many) problems with this movie is the CGI, Wolverine's claws look more animated than a Pixar film and do not seem to match the live-action atmosphere around this movie. The plot is incredibly drawn out for a movie that is roughly just two hours long...and there are just some things that don't make sense when you compare them to the original "X-Men" timeline. Plus, without spoiling too much, there is a certain character who appears at the end, it is a famous and iconic character, but what they did here was inexcusable.

Despite the actors who seem to do a good enough job to make this movie entertaining, 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' is an astonishing disappointment in every sense of the word. CGI heavy and just too silly for its own good.
  63. Dec 20, 2015
    They took a spin -off of X -Men , where our favorite mutant Wolverine, a film halfway, because the dull script, and visual effects are average but great action scenes .
  64. Mar 6, 2016
    The movie isnt BAD but they could've done better like make the plot make more sense and probably make deadpool look like deadpool and gambit be gambit. But other than that the movie is ok hugh jackman did amazing as always but the thing I dont get is that wolverine and sabertooth are brothers are in this but in xmen they act like they arent even brothers I know he lost his memory butThe movie isnt BAD but they could've done better like make the plot make more sense and probably make deadpool look like deadpool and gambit be gambit. But other than that the movie is ok hugh jackman did amazing as always but the thing I dont get is that wolverine and sabertooth are brothers are in this but in xmen they act like they arent even brothers I know he lost his memory but sabertooth didnt the movie really has flaws but you can enjoy it trust me. I also think the relationship between wolverine and silverfox are a better relationship than wolverine and jean. Expand
  65. Apr 18, 2016
  66. Feb 12, 2016
    What a complete knockoff for today. Why am I here? Well.... guess what I gave a review in? Yep, that's why I'm here. If you're going to use someone correctly, at least learn the information on that character. Other than that, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a poor movie.
  67. Feb 27, 2016
    An insult to the character of wolverine and the x men universe on many levels. Not only is the story incredibly mediocre but it almost seems as if the director wanted to make a joke x men movie for audiences to laugh at or he just down right hated the x men franchise altogether. This movie is a coherent mess and joke from start to finish ignore at all costs
  68. Mar 20, 2016
    The trouble with X-Men Origins: Wolverine starts, but hardly ends, with its title. Origin stories are a necessary burden for superhero movies, but after starring in three X-Men movies, Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine didn’t really need an introduction. What’s more, Wolverine has always worked best in comics as a high plains drifter of a character whose origins remain shrouded in mystery, evenThe trouble with X-Men Origins: Wolverine starts, but hardly ends, with its title. Origin stories are a necessary burden for superhero movies, but after starring in three X-Men movies, Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine didn’t really need an introduction. What’s more, Wolverine has always worked best in comics as a high plains drifter of a character whose origins remain shrouded in mystery, even from himself. Still, someone decided the story needed telling, although presumably no one set out to tell it this badly.

We first meet Wolverine as a sickly child on a 19th century Canadian plantation. In a fit of anger, he pops claws of bone from his fist and kills the man he believes to have killed his father who, with his dying breath, confesses that he’s actually the kid’s father. Confused? Don’t worry about it. The film never really bothers returning to the whys and wherefores of his parentage, instead aging the young mutant and his similarly superpowered half-brother into Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber through a montage sequence that shows them fighting their way through American conflicts from the Civil War up through Vietnam. (Only the most famous ones, but maybe the DVD will have images of the beclawed duo charging up San Juan hill or laying the smackdown in Mexico.) After Schreiber, the more mean-tempered of the two, kills a superior in ‘Nam, they’re recruited by Danny Huston’s shifty, vaguely Nixonian Col. Stryker to perform covert ops with a bunch of other mutants.

Biting commentary on the abuses of military power fails to follow. Instead, director Gavin Hood (Tsotsi) offers a lot of slickly uninvolving action scenes and a dramatic vocabulary on loan from playground recreations of Wrath Of Khan; the film’s so in love with the image of its hero shouting, “Noooooo!!!” to the sky with arms outstretched, it repeats it seemingly every other scene. It’s remarkable, too, how Jackman could be so loose and charming in the other X-Men movies but so hamstrung playing the same character in a script by David Benioff and Skip Woods that requires more emo mopery than anti-hero wit.

It doesn’t help that he’s stuck in bad company. The usually cerebral Schreiber proves unexpectedly menacing as Jackman’s blood-nemesis, but the film otherwise surrounds him with second-string mutant scrubs who aren’t given much to do and then don’t do generate a lot of interest doing it. Friday Night Lights’ Taylor Kitsch seems unsure where to run with the Cajun playboy Gambit and ends up taking him nowhere while Will.I.Am, in his big-screen debut, treats every line as a fearful surprise. A couple of halfway decent action scenes do little to distract from the story’s mounting ludicrousness—two words: adamantium bullets—or a conclusion that’s only a little more satisfying than a projector breakdown. Maybe.
  69. May 26, 2016
    I admit that I loved this film when it first came out and I even thought it was the best in the X-men series. However as I developed my critical thinking skills I had started to notice the problems with the film. I don't hate i as much as other fans though. The CGI is pretty dated by today's standards and the action sequences can be overblown. They are still fun though and Hugh JackmanI admit that I loved this film when it first came out and I even thought it was the best in the X-men series. However as I developed my critical thinking skills I had started to notice the problems with the film. I don't hate i as much as other fans though. The CGI is pretty dated by today's standards and the action sequences can be overblown. They are still fun though and Hugh Jackman steals every scene he is in. He is what made the movie more tolerable for me as he is the definitive live-action Wolverine. The strongest part of this film was the relationship between Wolverine and Sabertooth. It is one of the biggest rivalries in comic history and this film finally brought it to life. Saber- tooth doesn't look as animallistic as he should have been but he is still a fun villain and a worth opponent for Wolverine to face. The same cannot really be said about the other villians. The Blob is your typical obstacle that is only there to give Wolverine information that the audience already knows and agent Z gets taken down too easily. Deadpool gets the worst treatment though as his mouth is shown shut and his humor is absent from this film. This was such a hated part of the film that even Deadpool himself mad fun of it in his own movie. The romance is really only there to be the main means of revenge for Wolverine's motivation and it is not as developed as it could have been. The connections with the other films are forced at best. This is not the best movie in the franchise and it could be seen as the worst one but I don't think it is as bad as everyone else claims it is. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Sukhdev Sandhu
    May 13, 2013
    A compromise, a ghastly hybrid, a film that appears to have pirated and wrecked its own potential.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    May 13, 2013
    Wolverine is a solid start to the ever-lengthening summer movie season, when all that matters is the bang and the bucks paid for it.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    May 13, 2013
    The clichéd script doesn't develop the secondary characters or the critical theme of the mutants' alienation.