6.2

1. Sep 21, 2011
    The movie is overall visually stunning, but "X Men: The Last Stand", unlike "X Men" or "X2", is ultimately a frantic war movie that contains extremely sparse character depth/development and simple, lethargic action that fails to appeal.
  2. Aug 27, 2011
    This movie killed the whole series!! The script was really poor, the characters were stone-cold, the dialogue was just awful and they killed off too many of the good characters! It had some good action and visual effects, but overall it was overproduced and lacked the heart and soul of the first two films. Big disappointment.
  3. Sep 21, 2011
  4. Nov 12, 2012
    Isn't so much of a Last Stand as a last attempt to make this X-Men thing work. It doesn't, once again, and Singer's absence only worsens the matter.
  5. Aug 3, 2014
    A very disappointing film to end the trilogy. Most of the characters you loved in the first two films are gonna in the first thirty minutes of the film. The new characters such as Angel, Kitty Pryde, and Juggernaut are so forgettable that you won't remember them the next 10 minutes after you finish the film. The story isn't that interesting. There's a silly love triangle between Rogue, Kitty, and Iceman that will make you yawn. The action isn't even that much fun. Overall, Brett Ratner's conclusion fails to satisfy it's fans. Expand
  6. May 16, 2014
    I am really torn on this film as I don’t want to hate it because it has some great ideas but they are poorly executed. This film overall was put together in a sloppy manner lacking focus and rushing through key plot elements that needed more development. Had this film’s script gone through another rewrite or so and/or choosen to focus on one of the big ideas in in the movie this film could have truly been something. As its not awful just more disappointing because there are some amazing things in this film that could have provided for an awesome conclusion to the X-Men trilogy and the best in the series but instead this film was poorly but together and winds up being the weakest in the trilogy. I can only hope that Bryan Synger’s new X-Men movie X-Men: Days of Future Past can rewrite the wrongs this film did. Expand
  7. Mar 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, I thought Professor X and Cyclops were killed off way too fast. But was I completely disappointed? No. Was it better than the first two? No. But in the end, I still enjoyed the movie for what it is. Expand
  8. Jan 4, 2014
    X-Men: The Last Stand manages to, uh, stand it's ground with some decent ideas and a certain level of unpredictability. There are some problems with the movie such as far too many faceless mutants and Juggernaut being turned into an embarrassing joke, but all in all, Last Stand is a good trilogy ending.
  9. Mar 5, 2011
    X-Men The Last Stand makes me sad. After 2 solid adaptations, The Last Stand came out with a new director and the result was a movie that was far from perfect. With a weaker script, a messy story, and the disappointment of missing characters hurt the solid action. Overall, a mediocre movie.
  10. Jun 10, 2011
    Director Brett Ratner has replaced the heart and emotion of the previous X-Men films with more action and explosions. The film should still provide ample entertainment, but viewers may truly wish this to be the Last Stand.
  11. Aug 19, 2011
    This one isn't quite as good as X-MEN or X2, but this first trilogy can still manage to maintain a good-enough last stand. Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry are still doing great, and now we have Ellen Page as Shadowcat, plus a little more focus on Phoenix (Famke Janssen, though I thought she was Anne Hathaway).
  12. Feb 23, 2013
    This is NOT the X-Men movie I really wanted because with no Bryan Singer directing, I don't see why Brett Ratner (Rush Hour) is involved. Sure The Last Stand was the 2nd highest-grossing movie of 2006, but there were a lot of mistakes. Unlike X-Men's 1 and 2 (which they are both one of my favorite Marvel movies of all time), The Last Stand feels like it's missing a page out of the old "Dark Phoenix" saga where Jean Grey turned evil (sorta). I remember back on the animated series on Fox Kids when they had a 4-part episode that is still on my all-time list. Characters that were missing in The Last Stand just almost cost them their fortunes. I really hate to break it to you, but The Last Stand is one of my Top 5 disappointing comic book movie sequels of all time. Expand
  13. Aug 22, 2012
    This was almost strong enough to stand on its own two feet. The action doesn't overshadow the plot or the emotional aspect too much and there's a beautiful collection of individuals that moves smoothly along, bringing some amazing variety without forgetting about them. This doesn't necessarily have a particular main character and I enjoyed the twist of Jean Grey along with the epic, all-out war between different sides. I liked how the mutants particularly were working during this, because it was different to how it was when they were just fighting in the previous two films. Of course, Ratner didn't seem to have much grip on how Singer did it because from the way I saw it, the emotional aspects were difficult to control. Despite the variety, there was a lot of running and unnecessary fighting. Overall, although it wasn't as good as the previous two films, I thoroughly very much enjoyed it. Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    I was disappointed by this film. It just got incredibly silly, not something I expected from how good the first two films were (especially the second one). It was still OK, just severely disappointing.
  15. May 25, 2012
    I feel that this is the 1st x-men movie where something actually happens. The action scenes are very epic. The story may leave you wanting a bit more because characters die but I feel that this is the best x-men of them all.
  16. Jun 2, 2013
    One of the biggest bust in recent memory in term of quality. When your director was 'poached' by an opposing studio, and you crafted a movie that negates the previous installments achievements, then you deserve nothing more than a kick in the bum! Characters got killed left and right without any dramatic impact. Is the actor getting too expensive? Well, let's just kill him off. Is he involved in another 'opposing project'? Well, let's kill him too. It's like the whole film is meant as a 'revenge picture' to Bryan Singer and Co, for taking in Superman Returns before shooting this flick. This is the film that sinks 20th century Fox's reputation for a number of years amongst blockbuster film enthusiasts! Expand
  17. May 26, 2013
    Brett Ratner takes over directing duties for the anticipated end to a powerful trilogy, its big, explosive, occasionally touching but overall, thats about it.
    The Last Stand never really amounts to the powerhouse sequel of X2, nor does it have the introductory prowess or flare of the original, the message given throughout the film is really to show off what was established before, throw
    in a new batch of flashy characters with sometimes pointless powers in relevance to the plot, but thats ok, because we already have two explanatory films, or not.
    All is peaceful for now on the mutant front, but when a cure coming from a mutants genes is found, there is outrage and relief amongst the superhuman community, some just don't feel accepted or find it harder to fit in than others, this point is brought up by new character Hank McCoy, or Beast (Kelsey Grammar) who is a diplomat to heal relations between the mutants and humans.
    He warns Xaviers school of the threat of the cure, and what potential trouble it could spell for the mutant community. But something else is rising from the depths that nobody can quite anticipate, as Magneto continues to unite the mutants for war, Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and his team face a larger problem than they have ever witnessed, all in their own midst, something Xavier must confront and perhaps reveal the true nature behind it.
    All of the original cast return to The Last Stand, but with the different direction and more blockbuster story, the tension of their past troubles and their current concerns get lost in the fast paced story, there just isn't enough room created to let everything explain itself, and unfortunately there is very little emotional depth in this third instalment. Rogue mainly deals with her powers and the potential she possesses, but makes her mind up far too quickly in this. When a monumental scene occurs, the aftermath just feels to rushed and is almost disrespectful of what had been developed in previous instalments.
    In terms of the action, it truly is non-stop, with very impressive set pieces including a particular mutant a bridge, there is also the fact of the returning and expanded cast, including Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Ian McKellan as Magneto and Halle Berry as Storm, a few others, some unnecessary, make appearances.
    A diminished sequel, while not as thoughtful and emotionally driven as the other two, its hard to ignore the magnificent action pieces and still some interesting characters in this different sort of X-Men.
  18. Nov 29, 2011
    An enjoyable close to the trilogy. With dazzling special effects, an amazing score and great emotion really lift the film high. Just don't pay too much attention to the plot.
  19. Dec 1, 2011
    This film proves that Xmen has finally comes into its own and has given us a decent film that is worth watching. While it may seem a bit corny at times, The Last Stand is a solid film overall.
  20. Aug 28, 2014
    "Massive" is the right word to describe this movie. In the previous two films, the use of mutant powers was nice and quite tame. This time, they build a bridge to an entirely another level - literally.

The special effects are amazing! The film also dares to cut off its supporting pillars, which for a while can leave the viewer to a state of shock - and possibly disappointment and sorrow
    as well.

Why the movie does not get 5 starts in my book is because the characters were lacking a lot. This could be amended with extending the length of the movie - it seemed too short, anyway.

The already familiar cast, with only few additions of whom only Kitty rises above the others, provides us with nothing new. Storm is perhaps a bit angrier, and Rogue more desperate, but other than that, there's nothing new there.

Other than Jean, of course, who is not quite what she used to be. (Famke Janssen looks absolutely fabulous in this one!)

A must see piece, which stands side by side with its predecessors, yet still with a lot of room to explore.
  21. Mar 8, 2014
    This third installment in the series was mostly enjoyable. It also has more humor than the previous two films. However, is it as good as its predecessors? No, the second one was better. The film lacks emotional scenes between characters.
  22. Jul 17, 2012
    They should have mantained Bryan Singer as the director, we would have had more character development but the action sequences are definately the best of the entire series and the cast once again provides solid performances. A little more development of Jean Grey's alter-ego Phoenix and the kid that provides the cure as well as President Hank McCoy/Beast would have provided positive reviews from critics and conclude the series with development of new characters to match the amazing action sequences. Expand
  23. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh my god, what a horrible movie! I absolutely hated this movie! What a disappointment after the two awesome previous X-men installments. OMG Pheonix kills cyclops? - blasphemy! Pheonix kills Xavier? - blasphemy! Rogue chooses to medically opt-out of having super powers? - blasphemy! Pheonix dies in the end? - blasphemy! Ok I never read the comics as a kid so all I have to go by were the old X-men cartoons but in that wasn't Pheonix alive and well as a flaming flying heroin long after she got here omega-super powers? But the way everyone dies in this movie is absolutely lame and pointless. If people were self-sacrificing in a heroic manner to die it would be a bit better. Also, there was a better possible ending to this where Pheonix would not have to die, I was very surprised they didn't choose this ending, it was such an obvious choice: The mutant kid who had the ability to take away other mutant's super powers! They could have just sent him in at the point where Pheonix could no longer control her own powers, and presto! -- Problem solved and Pheonix lives! But noooo! Let's just kill off another beloved X-Men character, afterall, we've already killed 2 others in this movie... I guess the director knew he wasn't going to make an X-Men 4 that occurs after this movie, so what the heck let's just kill everyone off and take away the superpowers of others that live. OMG if I could give this a negative rating on Metacritic I would. The two other movies I've rated 0/10 I rated that way because they just bored me to death. But X3? This would get a -5/10 since it actually pissed me off it was so bad! Expand
  24. Jul 22, 2014
    While the acting and action is good the screenplay and style of this installment was not enough for us to accept and get used to. Famke Janssen did a good job as potraying a dark freakish Phoenix. But the costumes were excellent though....and that is only because Brett Ratner didn't fyck the original costumes from the previous 2 films.
  25. Nov 28, 2012
    Aside from taking flagrant swipes at the lore and succumbing stale character introductions, it's alright.
  26. Jun 2, 2013
    Not even close to the same league as the first 2 films. The Last Stand tries to do too much and appeal to so many people that, ultimately, it fails. It's entertaining and very enjoyable, but the story is too crazy and busy. The action and special effects are brilliant, but the storyline is very weak in comparison to the fantastic first 2.
  27. Jan 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely terrible. A real shame as it had so much potential, but I believe that was also its problem, it was trying to do too much. Introducing too many new characters and giving them little to no back story. Also bastardizing most of the lesser characters to an unforgiving degree. While Vinnie Jones performance as the Juggernaut was ...... OK at best, it was unforgivable that they made him a mutant. The Juggernaut was Xavier's half brother and his powers were mystical in origin. The Juggernaut absolutely hated Xavier and mutants. Psylocke is even credited to being in the movie, but is barely even noticeable (I only noticed as her name is listed in the credits. Jamie Madrox is a bad guy ...... WTF? Angel is a cowering child? And why on earth is Magneto the villain again? The X-Men have had more than one opponent in the last 35 years! What can I say positively about this movie? Special effects were good, lots of action, Kelsey Grammer as Beast was just perfect casting (a shame how little he was in it.) Jean Grey turning into the Dark Phoenix (while toned down) was pretty good, Famke Janssen portrayal of the character was fantastic. Same goes for Hugh Jackman, still great as Wolverine (if not a little tall for the part.) As a fan of the comics, this movie was just a slap in the face and an insult. This movie just caters to the masses and completely ignores the original fans that made the series popular in the first place! Brett Ratner ..... may you burn film hell for making this movie. Expand
  28. Feb 7, 2013
    This is far from a terrible movie as some people call it but it's also pretty far from a great one. The cast is a bit too wide this time around and as the supposed climax of the trilogy this leaves little closure on any of the characters. It's still an enjoyable movie from the action side of things but the film fails at developing any of the characters and this is something that was done great in the previous two films. Expand
  29. Feb 6, 2013
    By far, the worst X-Men film yet, this was a horrible way to follow the awesome first movie and the extremely awesome second movie. This didn't even follow up on some of the major plot points of X2 that everyone wanted to see. LAME!
  30. Jul 29, 2013
    As an aside, if you’re really interested in seeing the biggest f**k you that X-Men: The Last Stand can throw at you, stick around after the credits for a brief, disappointing bonus clip that throws away everything you’ve just spent the past two hours watching to set up a sequel that 20th Century Fox insists it will never allow to happen. Or just download it off the internet somewhere. It’s not worth the wait. Expand
  31. Mar 4, 2013
    The Last Stand abandons the characters and neglects the story X-Men 1 and 2 spent so much time carefully developing and instead focuses on the crushing of motor vehicles.
  32. Jul 9, 2013
    The film is a decent follow up, but the plot, characters, action and climax are wasted leading to a forgettable movie even the few good scenes aren't special.
  33. May 22, 2013
    The change of director and script were accelerated factor detrimental to the film, but that does not mean that the film is bad, the battle scenes are the best in the series, Storm came out of the shadows and became important part in the plot, but lacks content to give life to the film.
  34. Jul 27, 2013
    With the only bright spots being homages to comic character like Beast, Shadowcat, Juggernaut, etc. X3 falls flat. I mean, I liked parts of it, but the story was absolutely horrible. Overall, this is a shame to the Marvel cinematic universe
  35. Oct 19, 2014
    As an X-men-fan I totally agree that it’s not as great as the previous movies, but it’s not bad either.

The first thing that truly bothers me is that there's not as much action in this film than in X-Men 1 and 2, and there’s not as much unique things either. Brian Singer should have been the one to direct all X-Men films, especially this one! Another aspect that’s horrible about this
    movie is the soundtrack, it’s not as touching as in X-Men 2. The CGI however is incredible, and the few action-sequences that this film got are all awesome (but they are not many). The actors are of course awesome, there's no one that I would consider as a bad actor!

Overall is X-Men: The Last Stand a great movie, but the choice of director truly is the worst thing. But it’s still an entertaining and groovy movie.

X-Men: The Last Stand get a 7.8/10
  36. Aug 17, 2013
    Taking a stab at being more action oriented rather than story centered, this third installment in the X-Men trilogy ends the series on a downhill note, but provides enough engaging action to survive its handicapped scripting.
  37. Nov 2, 2013
    Spectacular special effects, but lack in details. Action scenes in this movie seem rushed but they are nicely executed and presented. A very good plot and character development make this movie great. Only thing that pissed me off is that Magneto didn't seem to mind very much the murder of his life long friend.
  38. Oct 27, 2013
    bryan singer doesn´t direct this movie,and this was the worst problem,the movie has a great story but the new director doesn´t use it so well,but still the movie is nice(nothing like the other two).
  39. Nov 13, 2013
    Potentially the most disappointing film in the franchise due to the hype surrounding it. This film is less than two hours yet features twice (if not three times) the amount of characters of its predecessor.
  40. Nov 13, 2013
    The Last Stand hopefully is the last stand.
    X-Men produces its third movie with poor execution. A very well crafted premise with poor dialogue, and very unlikeable plot twists. It does not reach the potential its predecessor's had.
  41. Jul 11, 2014
    What a f*cking letdown! Director Bryan Singer was replaced by Brett Ratner instead, seriously? We all know what kind of director he is. He directed "Rush Hour 3" and "Movie 43"! The movie is not fresh as the other two movie, however, it still delivers good performances and good action.
  42. May 24, 2014
    I actually liked this movie. Unlike X-Men: First Class this movie has some popular X-Men characters in it. I thought Professor X and Magneto had a real Martin Luther King Jr. vs. Malcolm X philosophy which I found really interesting. Magneto stole the show in this movie.
  43. Jul 8, 2014
    הסרט מתקן את הטעויות של בריאן סינגר עם אקס-מן 2, ואפשר לומר שהוא אחד מסרטי האקס-מן הכי טובים בסדרה הארוכה הזו. יכול שזה הרס כמה דמויות מהקומיקס, אבל זה לא ממש משנה כי הסרט הוא טוב
  44. Aug 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie tries to tackle the iconic Phoenix saga in the final movie of the X-Men saga. Remember I said the word "tries" because this movie completely butchers it. They kill off Cyclops and they even kill off Professor X. How do you kill off Cyclops so early in this movie? This movie could have had done itself a favor and centered around Cyclops who's girlfriend had turned into kind of a monster. A franchise that had not yet gave Cyclops his fair share of screen time gets killed off very early in a movie where Jean Grey is the biggest story arc. That's an issue. Why couldn't you have killed off a character that wasn't cool? Maybe Storm? This movie messed so many things up that it needed Days of Future Past to come in and save the series. Not only did they mess up the Phoenix saga, but the Juggernaut was messed up as well. He's a great villain, and they made him into a mutant (which he isn't) and didn't give him any depth. They didn't even talk about the fact that Juggernaut has a helmet that also stops telepathy. The effects were as good as the first two from this series, but it's not like they were spectacular. Wolverine was cool as ever, so that's a plus. If you're a picky superhero movie fanboy, you'll cringe at this movie, but if you don't have an invested interest in the characters, you'll probably like this just a little bit less than the first two X-Men movies. 4/10 seems like a fair score to me, but it's closer to a 3/10 than a 5/10. Expand
  45. Sep 23, 2014
    If you have seen the first two X-Men movies, then you know that X-Men 3 feels different. Of course with a new director changes are to be expected, but how much can be different till we can't tolerate them anymore. The first half of this movie was very good, but I started to check my phone a lot after the midpoint. The film wasn't flowing uniformly, but in all types of directions mixed with questionable pacing. Another thing that kept distracting me was the awful CGI, which surprised me because of how well done the CGI was in this film predecessor. The last two X-Men films had really good and enthralling stories which to me felt absent in X3. The acting was still very good, especially from Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart, but the chemistry between the characters was poor and made me feel, dare I say, quite bored. Also, the film's third act feels very rushed in wrapping up the character's journey and the film itself. Now let us move on to the good things about this film. As always the score is fantastic and is, in my opinion, one of the best superhero themes in film. As mentioned above, the individual acting is good but the collective chemistry is off. Overall I wouldn't recommend watching this movie unless you are a big X-Men fan, which is not a bright idea as you might feel even more disappointed than the rest of us. Expand

1. Though the picture is not without its wow-inducing, SFX-driven moments, that potent X-factor is considerably diminished in Singer's absence.
  2. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    It's a fast and enjoyable B-movie, though, and Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine brings some good stormy drama to the proceedings.
  3. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Singer's absence is felt but not fatal. By adding too much new blood Ratner loses some of the original DNA, but with its nifty set-pieces and a few nasty surprises, X3's still a worthy enough sequel to ensure it’s no Last Stand.