8.4

1. May 18, 2015
    The film is good, has special effect reasonable, good and interesting history, but as in the first film, from time to time he gets to be pretty boring and elsewhere it is interesting, that is it is unbalanced.
  2. Mar 16, 2015
    Everything does feel a bit clockwork to be honest, there aren't any major surprises really (you can see things a mile off) but none the less it does hold your attention to the end. The visuals are on the whole much smoother and glossier than the first film, the actors are really getting into their respective roles, multiple characters are handled well by Singer and the film is also aEverything does feel a bit clockwork to be honest, there aren't any major surprises really (you can see things a mile off) but none the less it does hold your attention to the end. The visuals are on the whole much smoother and glossier than the first film, the actors are really getting into their respective roles, multiple characters are handled well by Singer and the film is also a highly positive encouraging shout out for gay people, teens, underachievers, outcasts, bullied people and any minorities on the whole. Although I still don't get how that highly advanced metal detector that scanned everything on and in the human body didn't pick up all that iron in the guards bloodstream, oh well. Expand
  3. Dec 8, 2014
    Featuring more action and better special effects than the previous film, this is probably better than the first film. The storyline is good and this is highly recommended if you are a fan of superheroes.
  4. Oct 16, 2014
    This second installment of X-Men is even greater than the first film.

This second installment of X-Men is even greater than the first film.

It got so much more things going on at the same time. The action sequences are all incredible and highly unique as in the previous installment. The actors are superb, and the story is perfect! The CGI is flawless, and combined with a great opening scene and many entreating events, is this second X-Men film greater than the first. The soundtrack is another aspect of the film that’s great, it’s much more epic. The villains and the main cast are all awesome, so there’s no doubt that this film is spectacular.

X-Men 2 get a 8.3/10
  5. Sep 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a new fan of the X-Men film series, I had high expectations about this second installment of the series and it did not disappoint.

I liked how the movie immediately follows-up after the events of the first movie.

The plot was great from start to finish. The character development is huge in this one. We get to see more of Wolverine's past, we get to see Phoenix doing a heroic sacrifice etc. I also like the new characters to this movie especially Nightcrawler which is played by Alan Cumming, who did a good job performing this highlight character. It sucks that this is his only appearance.

I also liked how the movie still focus Magneto as a villain at the end. And of course, I am so glad that Magneto is still the antagonist because William Stryker, the main antagonist before Magneto took his place, was unlikable from the very beginning. He is the Dolores Umbridge of the X-Men series in my opinion.

The direction from Bryan Singer is also great. I think he directed better in this sequel.

One minor drawback is that while I do enjoy this movie, the previous movie is a lot more enjoyable but it's not a bad thing I guess.

Overall, this X-Men sequel is a worthy sequel. Enough said.
  6. Aug 16, 2014
    This movie is good, if not great, and it is certainly the best of the original trilogy of X-Men. It's best characters are probably Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, and the always entertaining Wolverine. I wish Nightcrawler was used more, and I thought he was about as awesome as Quicksilver was in Days of Future Past. Also, Cyclops wasn't used near as much as he needed to be. The X-Men seriesThis movie is good, if not great, and it is certainly the best of the original trilogy of X-Men. It's best characters are probably Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, and the always entertaining Wolverine. I wish Nightcrawler was used more, and I thought he was about as awesome as Quicksilver was in Days of Future Past. Also, Cyclops wasn't used near as much as he needed to be. The X-Men series has always had a problem with not using the coolest characters correctly, and this one resorts to using Storm too much as well, but it doesn't make that mistake as much as Last Stand does. Other than that, there's really not too much negative about this movie. It just takes everything established in the first one and expands on it. The first one was just average, but this one is really good and fun. Expand
  7. Jul 7, 2014
    "X2: X-Men United" is slightly better than it's predecessor. The story is more entertaining, the action scenes are more exciting and characters are still likable.
  8. May 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A successful, strong sequel to the first movie.

The movie starts off lightly, but soon gains a steady momentum that keeps growing to the very end. The dialogue is smooth, the characters witty yet serious in just the right places, which creates a perfect piece of entertainment.

New characters add new spice into the story (Nightcrawler, for one, was incredibly well made), and the ending was only too promising. They couldn't have done better by actually typing: "In the next movie, we have Phoenix".

The final scene with Jean and her sacrifice, though, could have been better made. Like this, it seemed irrational that she did what she did.
  9. May 16, 2014
    This is a pretty good sequel with a lot of the stuff I liked in the first film back in this one. The same likeable characters are still likeable and the ones that aren’t interesting are not that interesting but at least given some stuff to do. There are some cool new characters this time around like Nightcrawler. So why is this film better than the first? Well the first film needed lots ofThis is a pretty good sequel with a lot of the stuff I liked in the first film back in this one. The same likeable characters are still likeable and the ones that aren’t interesting are not that interesting but at least given some stuff to do. There are some cool new characters this time around like Nightcrawler. So why is this film better than the first? Well the first film needed lots of time to set up the characters but since the sequel doesn’t need to do that and it can just get right to the story. **** happens in this film and it is engaging and paced well much better than the first one. The film also has the alliance of convenience cliché, which I like. There is also a lot more action this time around and while it isn’t amazing or anything it is definitely a step above what we saw in the last X-Men film. If you liked the first film you’ll probably enjoy the second one a little bit more. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    Better than its predecessor, this sequel is both more exciting and smart. The acting was solid, the action was intense, and the story and the script were good. It's also more emotionally satisfying than the first, which is one of the main reasons why I think it's better.
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    X2 is an excellent X-Men movie and one of the best superhero films of all time. It moved the bar for it's genre and proved that comic book pictures could be deeper and more ambitious. Acting, plotting and directing are all on point here and the film features a handful of gobsmackingly cool moments (Magneto's prison break, Wolverine versus hot girl, Pyro's policeman smackdown). ExcellentX2 is an excellent X-Men movie and one of the best superhero films of all time. It moved the bar for it's genre and proved that comic book pictures could be deeper and more ambitious. Acting, plotting and directing are all on point here and the film features a handful of gobsmackingly cool moments (Magneto's prison break, Wolverine versus hot girl, Pyro's policeman smackdown). Excellent stuff from start to finish. Expand
  12. Nov 27, 2013
    I missed this and the third so I just got into them... just finished Wolverine. The Xmen films are some of the best action films I've ever seen. Highly highly highly highly glysglysglysglskldskl;l; recommend them!!!!!
  13. Nov 13, 2013
    The strongest X-Men film in the franchise history. Not only did this film redefine the superhero genre, it left the audience wanting more and more (and more)!
  14. Nov 12, 2013
    X2 shows off its claws.
    After a very solid prequel X2 delivers with a deeper look into its characters and hits the ground running with a great continuation of its originals plot. A very well connected story and solid dialogue.
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    I was stunned by the action combined with special effects in this movie the same way now as the first time i watched it when i was younger, it is amazing. The movie features some funny moments and scenes that make you feel great when you experience them and clichés are hardly even noticeable but they are here and there. I recommend this movie to everyone to watch.
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    the first movie was to small but in the second movie bryan singer had more liberty to create the second movie and it is better than the first movie by far.
  17. Aug 17, 2013
    With a tremendous improvement in special effects, a heightened intensity in the action, and a further increase in character depth, X2 greatly improves upon its predecessor with a screenplay that engages and explains more of itself than the first, pushing the series in a positive direction.
  18. Jul 29, 2013
    Tightly scripted, solidly acted, and impressively ambitious, X2: X-Men United is bigger and better than its predecessor and a benchmark for comic sequels in general.
  19. May 25, 2013
    There was just no wrong step taken with X2, the characters were interestingly developed, the set pieces were simply sublime and imaginative to the point of positive disbelief, and wonderfully emotional, funny and heartbreaking story was fleshed out in the two hours of this fantastic sequel.
    Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) returns to Xavier's school after searching for clues as to where he came from, and how he received his indestructible abilities, Xavier (Patrick Stewart) is reluctant to delve deeper into Wolverines past, but also has other matters to attend to. After an attack on the White House, carried out by a mutant, there is continuing pressure once again to go so far as to detain mutants.
    But not forgetting minor characters from the first, Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) has a much more pivotal and expanded role in X2, she is still quite shaken from the events of the first film to the point where she is unable to concentrate on her powers, she truly is powerful, but unable to harness it.
    With Magneto (Ian McKellan) in plastic solitary confinement, the master of metal continues to stand for what he truly believes in, his brotherhood of mutants, of how they are the next stage of evolution.
    The story moves at a quick and action packed pace, as someone emerges from Wolverines past that he doesn't fully understand. He must search for answers, but a massive turn of events may soon change that.
    The characters are on top form throughout this film, and it is remarkable to see so many exciting personalities all having their time to shine in 120 mins. Hugh Jackman continues to bring out the ruthless yet often caring Wolverine, also returning is Anna Paquin as Rogue, and also Iceman played in a bigger capacity from Shawn Ashmore.
    This film continues to appear on many lists as one of the best superhero films, and for good reason. It has a mixture of interesting prospects, a riveting story, groundbreaking special effects and a cast that are simply too intriguing to ignore. Ian McKellan in particular delivers a thrilling performance as the anti-hero Magneto, along with Mystique and even a few familiar faces, they all must band together to save themselves from a much more mysterious foe, one who of course might just have more knowledge on the X-Men, and their capabilities, than they do themselves.
  20. May 20, 2013
    Darker and stronger, the film manages to build a frame and mounted and space for your entire cast shine, and the action scenes are actually better than its predecessor, which trona the film one of the best films of superheroes ever made.
  21. Mar 2, 2013
    Dark and exhilarating, X-Men returns brandishing the strong, action packed yet emotionally mature story that the original needed. However, lazy attempts at ensuring child friendliness detract from the overall quality. Fortunately, not by much.
  22. Feb 6, 2013
    This is so much better than the first film. It is the perfect sequel, and it ends in the most awesome way possible. This movie will leave you wanting so much more.
  23. Dec 6, 2012
    A great sequel to the X-Men origins movie which I also liked very much. This sequel is perhaps even better than the first! Similar to the first one this is exactly what I would expect for a super-hero movie. Lots of action, great special effects, great acting, in particular: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Ian McKellen as Magneto are great! I have never read theA great sequel to the X-Men origins movie which I also liked very much. This sequel is perhaps even better than the first! Similar to the first one this is exactly what I would expect for a super-hero movie. Lots of action, great special effects, great acting, in particular: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Ian McKellen as Magneto are great! I have never read the comics so I don't know how it compares to those but the characters behaved how I expected from watching the cartoons as a kid and also from how my friends described them from the comics and how they looked from the comics my friends showed me. An entertaining movie, and one of the better super-hero movies I have seen. Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2012
    When it could focus on insight and enlightenment, it chooses to instead focus on self-acceptance character-wise, and sci-fi action sequences plot wise. The film only hints at what it could be throughout its entire duration.
  25. Aug 23, 2012
    This was an interesting sequel to the first film and no doubt that it had much more story to it considering the first one was merely a development on the characters. This gave us some more action combined with better character development, possibly better story development, but what I must mention is that X2 is subjectively different from its predecessor because this isn't the beginning.This was an interesting sequel to the first film and no doubt that it had much more story to it considering the first one was merely a development on the characters. This gave us some more action combined with better character development, possibly better story development, but what I must mention is that X2 is subjectively different from its predecessor because this isn't the beginning. The first one was good because it gave us what we needed to begin with and this showed a good combination of storyline along with character development, while this one added more characters while adding a bit more action over storyline, plus it did go a little downhill in the middle. Despite that, I did enjoy this one, because there was more character development and a few more thrills and as my favourite character is Wolverine, it was great to hear more about him but without neglecting the rest of them. Expand
  26. Jul 17, 2012
    Bigger and better than it's predecedessor, with an interesting premise/script, solid performances and well-executed action sequences once in a while, as well as more character development.
  27. Dec 6, 2011
    Eh it was ok. About as good as the first film. Acting is average, The story is a little bit better. Overall its ok but its not as good as it could have been.
  28. Nov 23, 2011
    Everything about the first film got better with the sequel, the acting is great, the storyline is great, the CGi is still looking quite good. The best of the X-Men trilogy easily.
  29. Sep 21, 2011
    "X2" is a rare movie that bests its prequel "X Men" with stunning visuals, violent but watchable fighting sequences, and its ability to add new characters and develop their own stories.
  30. Sep 21, 2011
  31. Aug 27, 2011
    I found this to be more engaging and exciting than the first, but overall I think this sequel is quite overrated. The acting was still good and the visual effects were much improved, but the problem was it was underplotted, the second half was bloated and some of the mutants really lacked screen time. I think if it was 15-20 minutes shorter, the plot would have been tighter and thereforeI found this to be more engaging and exciting than the first, but overall I think this sequel is quite overrated. The acting was still good and the visual effects were much improved, but the problem was it was underplotted, the second half was bloated and some of the mutants really lacked screen time. I think if it was 15-20 minutes shorter, the plot would have been tighter and therefore this movie's problems wouldn't be there. Expand
  32. Jun 17, 2011
    X2 is the very definition of sequels surpassing their predecessors. Every single aspect of the film improves on the foundations laid by X-Men three years prior. The dialogue is crisp and clever, the story is tight and involving, and every single character is well-developed and believable. The effects and action scenes too are vastly improved, making what we saw in the previous film lookX2 is the very definition of sequels surpassing their predecessors. Every single aspect of the film improves on the foundations laid by X-Men three years prior. The dialogue is crisp and clever, the story is tight and involving, and every single character is well-developed and believable. The effects and action scenes too are vastly improved, making what we saw in the previous film look like a child's puppet show. I'd go as far as to say that the opening sequence with Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming) fighting his way though the White House is among the greatest action scenes ever committed to film. The effects are not only state-of-the art, but are unlike anything seen before. The scene is truly pulse-racing and extremely creative, with John Ottman's epic score maintaining momentum and holding the whole thing together. The rest of the film is an interesting take on the road-trip movie, with the X-Men narrowly escaping an attack on their mansion base by the vengeful and xenophobic Colonel Stryker (Brian Cox) and attempting to regroup to rescue the kidnapped Professor X (Patrick Stewart). It's a long movie but never drags, the entire cast keep you invested in the story throughout, with Jackman, McKellen, Paquin and Romijn carrying over their stellar performances from the previous film and newcomers Cox and Cumming also impressing. As it's a near-perfect superhero move, which set up such a promising sequel with Singer at the helm, it is indeed tragic that said sequel turned out to be Brett Ratner's X-Men: The Last Stand Expand
  33. Jun 8, 2011
    This film stands as a 2 hour filler spot between films one and three. The point of the second movie as well as the plot and character development are completely bone dry. Even with all this said the film stands as one of the better super hero sequels of modern day. X-Men First Class it theaters 45 minutes ago.
  34. May 16, 2011
    The first movie is good, but this is the best of the three. Good story, good acting and some neat special affects set this movie apart. The cast was really able to shine now that all the characters were introduced and the movie could focus on stroy. One of my top 5 comic movies without question.
  35. Nov 7, 2010
    like the first movie, its also great
  36. JerkGuy
    Oct 1, 2007
    I
  37. Sam
    Jul 14, 2005
    Has its flaws, but is overall a wonderfully entertaining film, and gets me excited for the 3rd one and the wolverine spin-off.
  38. RandyB
    Apr 1, 2005
    I loved this movie. I only wish it hadn't ended.
  39. Christine
    Jul 19, 2004
    I think it was way better tn the first one, and I enjoyed watching it.
  40. YoonMinC.
    May 11, 2004
    It begins with a breathlessly impressive action scene with a black german freak popping, crackling, and fizzing in the air. it's a brilliant fusion of acrobatism and special effects, perhaps a landmark moment in cinema. rest of the movie is a rehashing of part I: alot of dumb talk, leaden plot, and humorlessness. did burton's batman start this trend of giving us overtly ARTY It begins with a breathlessly impressive action scene with a black german freak popping, crackling, and fizzing in the air. it's a brilliant fusion of acrobatism and special effects, perhaps a landmark moment in cinema. rest of the movie is a rehashing of part I: alot of dumb talk, leaden plot, and humorlessness. did burton's batman start this trend of giving us overtly ARTY superhero pics? Expand
  41. JamieS.
    Apr 23, 2004
    Great. One of the best movies I've seen, and definitely better than the first one. Much, much better than Spider-man as well. Electrifying ending! Great film!!!
  42. MatthewL.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Excellent, better than the first film...
  43. MatthewL.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Excellent, better than the first film...
  44. BenA.
    Jan 7, 2004
    This movie was enjoyable even without seeing the original. Not perfect, but enjoyable.
  45. NoelT.
    Dec 16, 2003
    X2 is overall a good movie, by far the best of the recent marvel movies, but why did I give it a 7 you ask? The movie suffers from over editing, at one point in the movie cyclops is is drugged and turns against gene grey, but we never see cyclops get drugged, simply out of nowhere he starts attacking. Sure, the movie was long enough 2 hours plus but a handful of key scenes were dumped and X2 is overall a good movie, by far the best of the recent marvel movies, but why did I give it a 7 you ask? The movie suffers from over editing, at one point in the movie cyclops is is drugged and turns against gene grey, but we never see cyclops get drugged, simply out of nowhere he starts attacking. Sure, the movie was long enough 2 hours plus but a handful of key scenes were dumped and made the movie hard to follow. Hopefully in a few months they will release a directors uncut version. Expand
  46. GaborA.
    Dec 10, 2003
    Condences as many mutants and plot ideas as possible from x-men. The result is that no room remains for its statements and beauty. More energy should have been spent on developing the message as oppsed to making it louder.
  47. Melissame
    Dec 8, 2003
    Good action flick. A couple of irritating contradictions, but all-in-all fun.
  48. KatieP.
    Dec 8, 2003
    A really good movie. Better than the first. Some things left me confused.
  49. ZackO.
    Dec 8, 2003
    What a great movie. The plot was pretty cool, and the action was more intense. The FX were pretty awesome too. The only thing was that it got a little wierd towards the end. and they never showed wat happened to pyro!
  50. BrianK.
    Dec 1, 2003
    Got great reviews but I actually really hated it. Gave it a 4 because of some cool visual effects though.
  51. BitBurn
    Sep 22, 2003
    More like 7.5 actually. Good stuff. Great sequel. I really liked it!! If you liked the first one you'll love this one as much.
  52. AM
    Sep 18, 2003
    This sequel is better than it's predecessor. Less time is spent introducing characters etc. The story is interesting and the action is more intense.
  53. Foxxe
    Aug 20, 2003
    The first one was fine...but it didn't have Nightcrawler in it-Whoo Nightcrawler!
  54. AndrewA.
    Jul 18, 2003
    This movie is excellent. everything is good in this move. Best movie i have seen in awhile. Nightcrawller is the best!
  55. TimA.
    Jul 16, 2003
    It was good no doubt about that! I just wish .... did not have to end in that way!
  56. DaveC.
    Jul 15, 2003
    Contains the same flaws as the predecessor. That dialogue is lamebrained, the action scenes barely lick the boots of Spiderman and the Matrix Reloaded, the characterisations are steriotypical and silly, the plot is poor and when it tries to deliver an admittedly good, message, it winds up looking stupid (the scene where Ice-Man told his family he was a mutant looked like it was "coming Contains the same flaws as the predecessor. That dialogue is lamebrained, the action scenes barely lick the boots of Spiderman and the Matrix Reloaded, the characterisations are steriotypical and silly, the plot is poor and when it tries to deliver an admittedly good, message, it winds up looking stupid (the scene where Ice-Man told his family he was a mutant looked like it was "coming out") feeling as if you've heard it all before. You never really care all that much about the wooden characters and so no scene in the film is particularly and this shows all too well in the climax act which is almost as anti-climactic as that in the first film. Hopefully, the Hulk and the Spiderman sequel will be much better than this (the first Spiderman certainly was). Expand
  57. Gerald
    Jul 2, 2003
    Great movie. Go and see it.
  58. Aenima
    Jun 18, 2003
    Great movie. The first viewing is a charm, but after that, it's hard to watch the movie again because you realize that it not only drags on in some areas, but some of it is just cheesy. I won't go into details but aside from that, it is a great must-see movie for action and X-Men fans.
  59. brainiac68x
    Jun 1, 2003
    Just saw the flick for the 2nd time today -- i LOVE this movie... the x-world is totally cool and totally engaging... i dunno whether i wanna be a part of magneto's world or that of professor x -- BUT that makes this movie the only one i want to see for a 3rd time...
  60. Anonymousguy
    Jun 1, 2003
    X2 is definitely the best movie I have seen so far this year. The great action scenes combined with an excellent story line and cast make X2 a must-see for all those who appreciate great action films. Those of you who are Marvel fans like myself will find that even the characters who don't have major roles (Colossus, Shadow Cat, Hank McCoy) make brief appearences in the film. X2 X2 is definitely the best movie I have seen so far this year. The great action scenes combined with an excellent story line and cast make X2 a must-see for all those who appreciate great action films. Those of you who are Marvel fans like myself will find that even the characters who don't have major roles (Colossus, Shadow Cat, Hank McCoy) make brief appearences in the film. X2 leaves many unresolved plot threads and leaves the viewers eagerly awaiting X3. Expand
  61. DarrylF.
    May 29, 2003
    It was really good to see in this movie that the actors could put trust into eachother throughout the movie.it is a lesson for people in our world that they shouldnt have to trust just a select few in our world.
  62. Joe
    May 23, 2003
    I admire this movie. In terms of thrills, X2 delivers so efficiently. The pacing, fight sequence, and a hint of characters and story, it's calibrated extremely well. It does feel like a middle movie though, kind of starting and stopping. And it can only delve into characters a little bit, with 20-something mutants and haters on screen. But this is definitely better then the first one.
  63. WACKOJACKO
    May 21, 2003
    I can't believe I almost didn't see this film. I was so bummed out after The Matrix Reloaded I sneaked in afterwards to X2. Boy was I surprised. This one blows the Matrix out of the ballpark by a league. It is everything the Matrix is not. Great story, good action and, best of all, a slew of characters you really care about. I don't remember the first one being this good. I can't believe I almost didn't see this film. I was so bummed out after The Matrix Reloaded I sneaked in afterwards to X2. Boy was I surprised. This one blows the Matrix out of the ballpark by a league. It is everything the Matrix is not. Great story, good action and, best of all, a slew of characters you really care about. I don't remember the first one being this good. By the way, as to my sneaking in...Don't worry, I'm gonna make up for it by seeing it (after properly paying for it) again and again before it gets yanked out of theaters. This is the kind of film that's got to be seen on the biggest screen possible over and over again. The best film so far this year, along with HOLES. Expand
  64. AdamE.
    May 21, 2003
    Very entertaining with some inspired scenes and great performance from Hugh Jackman and Brian Cox makes this film brilliant , action-packed and very watchable even though it lacks a bit of humour . Looking forward to X3!
  65. MehdiT.
    May 21, 2003
    I goota say that I completely enjoyed this sequel. it was everything X-men fans wanted. I was also so sweet to see Wolverine go berserk. By the way , the ending is not at all a TOTAL RIPOFF of Strar Trek 2 saint harry. it was so similar to that DARK PHONIX saga, you fool!
  66. BlancoA.
    May 19, 2003
    Beats the hell out of Matrix: Reloaded. Also, better than the original. Many props to the makers of this movie for expanding Jean Gray's role. I'm definitely looking forward to X3: Reunited & It Feels So Good.
  67. SaintHarry
    May 18, 2003
    An improvement of the 1st X-Men. Hugh Jackman gets better and better and meaner as Wolverine. I must say the ending is a TOTAL RIPOFF of "Star Trek II"! Think that ending with Spock's demise to X2's final scenes with a mutant's farewell only to (possibly) comeback. It's a copycat to me. I dunno what Bryan Singer was thinking.
  68. MichaelEllis
    May 16, 2003
    Some local critic (who's a hack, by the way, regardless of what he said here) called this "the best comic book movie ever made." For once, he was right. A treat for those who are fans and those who are not. I saw this today along with the Matric 2, and it certainlt outshone that, along with the first X-Men movie and the first Matrix movie. I only wish they could avoid a little Some local critic (who's a hack, by the way, regardless of what he said here) called this "the best comic book movie ever made." For once, he was right. A treat for those who are fans and those who are not. I saw this today along with the Matric 2, and it certainlt outshone that, along with the first X-Men movie and the first Matrix movie. I only wish they could avoid a little silliness toward the end, but what're you going to do? Expand
  69. Wuonm
    May 15, 2003
    Very long, very slooooow and Halle Berry doesnt appears naked as usual :( can you believe that?
  70. ScottM.
    May 14, 2003
    I liked this movie but I dont think I will watch it again. It was good especially for a super hero movie (which since to Daredevil isnt getting good reps these days) But the length was loong.
  71. KevinW.
    May 13, 2003
    Excellent comic book adapation that does more than blow your mind with fantastic special effect, but manages to lull you in with its wonderfuly complex characters and timly release.
  72. NickV.
    May 12, 2003
    Good movie with all the mutants with their powers. Better than the first movie in my opinion. Thought that the length helped the movie. And they did not hold back when it came to killings and tragic deaths.
  73. PaulG.
    May 11, 2003
    Great movie! It's true to its comic book origins.
  74. GregM.
    May 10, 2003
    As a San Franciscan, I'm ashamed our daily gave X2 such abysmal marks. This movie had a riveting first 3/4 that did inevitably descend into mere rote plot resolution, but even that was done well. The first 3/4 of the movie were relentless and breathtaking. Never before has a comic book been done such justice. The acting was spot-on, the superpowers were thoroughly explored, and the As a San Franciscan, I'm ashamed our daily gave X2 such abysmal marks. This movie had a riveting first 3/4 that did inevitably descend into mere rote plot resolution, but even that was done well. The first 3/4 of the movie were relentless and breathtaking. Never before has a comic book been done such justice. The acting was spot-on, the superpowers were thoroughly explored, and the direction was seamless. The only problem is the plot was too complicated, but hey, if you've ever read a comic book, or if you're a fan of Lord of the Rings, it wasn't all THAT complicated. This movie is 10x better than the first X-Men and that cheesy joke Spider Man; it is the start of the next great movie franchise like Star Trek, (the first)Star Wars and LotR. I can't wait 'til X3: Phoenix. And yes, Famke Janssen is hot. Expand
  75. LukeB.
    May 10, 2003
    I thought it was fantastic. For those who are massive X-Men fans like myself will be extatic over the excellent casting for this film. Every character is beievable and lives up to his/her comic counter part. The directors put in a few secret elements into the movie for those X-Men fans out there; some of you like me will have noticed an appearence from 'Beast' and the idea that I thought it was fantastic. For those who are massive X-Men fans like myself will be extatic over the excellent casting for this film. Every character is beievable and lives up to his/her comic counter part. The directors put in a few secret elements into the movie for those X-Men fans out there; some of you like me will have noticed an appearence from 'Beast' and the idea that Phoenix might be making an appearence in X3. Its all really exciting. It was non stop action throughout but it wasn't scrappy, the true emotion and depth of the story is still conveyed through the action, such as Wolverines mysterious past, Icemans relationship with Rogue and loads more. Those who are X-Men fans like myself will think that this is one of the best films released. Those who have not made your mind up yet, I can tell you that this film is full of high budget action, excellent storyline and if officially the BEST action hero film ever released, Spiderman and Daredevil fall by the way side! Watch this film! Expand
  76. Mr.Bill
    May 10, 2003
    Gosh, according to one Metacritic user, because I don't think the loopy X2 is the one of the great movies of all time, I "wouldn't know how to enjoy a nice summer breeze; the thrill of a roller coaster ride ; a good laugh or cry." This true believer is truly a demagogue. I'm perfectly capable of experiencing all of those emotions while not caring much for X2. Comic books Gosh, according to one Metacritic user, because I don't think the loopy X2 is the one of the great movies of all time, I "wouldn't know how to enjoy a nice summer breeze; the thrill of a roller coaster ride ; a good laugh or cry." This true believer is truly a demagogue. I'm perfectly capable of experiencing all of those emotions while not caring much for X2. Comic books will always be translated into film better when they deal with one super hero and one supervillian, like with Superman or Batman or Spiderman. It also helps to have a plot. I left X2 asking myself "Now what the hell was that all about." I never thought the X-Men comic book series could be translated into film as well as other comic book characters have in the past. What I have seen so far has confirmed my original skepticism. X2 is there to be embraced and celebrated by the fanatical true believers, but for the average person on the street he/she is not going to have a clue what he/she is watching, or care much about it. Lots of explosions, special effects and Wolverine kicking ass does not make a great movie. X2 exists in a closed universe that is not accessible to people unfamiliar with the Marvel Universe, and I say this as somebody who read over 100 issues of the X-Men and the out-of-print New Mutants series starting 20 years ago. Expand
  77. MikeR.
    May 8, 2003
    This movie was great; I think the reviewers are trying to be "important" by giving it lackluster reviews. I am not sure what more you could ask from the film; it's fun, it's exciting, and wolverine kicks serious tail.
  78. PeteG
    May 8, 2003
    this movie rocks! if you liked the first one, this one is ten times better. much more action. introduction of new mutants familiar to those who followed the comics. an overall great movie!
  79. PeteP.
    May 8, 2003
    I don't know what Mark M. was talking about above when he said this movie had way too much special effects. I guess he won't be wasting his money on Matrix when it comes out next week. As for the movie it was good. It intoduced some new characters and a little mystery that make me look foward to the sequel. The plot really didn't have twist, except for the ending .... As I don't know what Mark M. was talking about above when he said this movie had way too much special effects. I guess he won't be wasting his money on Matrix when it comes out next week. As for the movie it was good. It intoduced some new characters and a little mystery that make me look foward to the sequel. The plot really didn't have twist, except for the ending .... As for acting, superb. This movie has a great cast of actors and they all do a wonderful job. Never have I loved a villan so much since Darth Vader. Ian McKellen is wonderful. So are all the other overseas actors like Hugh Jackman and Alan Cumming. This was a bigger and better X-Men. Expand
  80. AaronF.
    May 7, 2003
    Not perfect, but definitely the best comic book movie made (Not that that is a particularly difficult thing to achieve). What really impressed me this time around was how the movie actually achieved some semblance of emotional depth. Nothing spectacularly teary-eyed, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for Jean during the monologue (I know she's not dead...I kinda just ruined the Not perfect, but definitely the best comic book movie made (Not that that is a particularly difficult thing to achieve). What really impressed me this time around was how the movie actually achieved some semblance of emotional depth. Nothing spectacularly teary-eyed, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for Jean during the monologue (I know she's not dead...I kinda just ruined the ending, oh well). Another improvement came in the direction, clearly Singer is getting more comfortable directing this leather couch of a franchise. This picture achieved the perfect balance between characters. Lastly the screenplay was SO MUCH BETTER! The first movie was just a little too contrived for my taste, but this, well, as far as I am concerned, you can put an 'X' in the win column. ADDITIONAL NOTE- Kudos to whoever decided to cast the guy who plays Pyro (I can't remember his name but he was great in Tadpole) and to the screenplay guy for writing Nightcrawler into the story (He was always my favorite when I used to watch the cartoon). Expand
  81. MichelleP.
    May 7, 2003
    Well, after being disappointed with "Matrix Reloaded" AND "Legally Blonde 2", I felt there was no hope for a decent summer flick other than Nemo which I saw enough times. I was actually anticipating on seeing this movie (the trailers were the reason), but then the SF Chronicle pretty much gave it a bomb so I was reluctant to see it. But I did. And I had so much fun too. Johnny Depp MADE Well, after being disappointed with "Matrix Reloaded" AND "Legally Blonde 2", I felt there was no hope for a decent summer flick other than Nemo which I saw enough times. I was actually anticipating on seeing this movie (the trailers were the reason), but then the SF Chronicle pretty much gave it a bomb so I was reluctant to see it. But I did. And I had so much fun too. Johnny Depp MADE the movie, he was hilarious. It was like watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" only a bit more serious and it wasn't set in the medieval times. Had it not had in humor, this movie would have been AWFUL. The plot was very creative (heck if this film had been made into novel and not a movie it still would've been great). The action scenes held my attention better than "The Matrix Reloaded"'s did. And it had incredibly cool special effects as well. Yes, it's long but I didn't care. The only complaint I have is that one plot hole about Johnny Depp's character, but I don't want to give it away. Overall, go sea it, and ignore the negative reviews. Expand
  82. DanC.
    May 7, 2003
    Building of the success of the original movie, everyone seems more comfortable this timearound and each character comes into their own. Special acclaim must be paid to Famke Janssen who proves that although the X-Men are not superheroes, there are still heroes among them.
  83. CarstenK.
    May 6, 2003
    Way better than the first part. Not as confusing and therefor a lot of special effects. And enough material for a future third part. A straight 9.
  84. SimonG.
    May 6, 2003
    Magneto and Mystique rule!! What a movie!!!
  85. JoeS.
    May 5, 2003
    If you enjoy any super hero type movie, or used to enjoy reading comic books as a kid then you will love this movie!
  86. PaliK
    May 5, 2003
    Don't believe what you've been hearing about X2. I should specify.. don't believe the negative reviews above. I think these are the types of folks that wouldn't know how to enjoy a nice summer breeze; the thrill of a rollercoaster ride ; a good laugh or cry... X2 delivers in so many more ways than would could expect. Like Aliens was to Alien, but amped up about 1000%. Don't believe what you've been hearing about X2. I should specify.. don't believe the negative reviews above. I think these are the types of folks that wouldn't know how to enjoy a nice summer breeze; the thrill of a rollercoaster ride ; a good laugh or cry... X2 delivers in so many more ways than would could expect. Like Aliens was to Alien, but amped up about 1000%. The best genre films: Aliens; Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Kahn; Empire Strikes Back just added another one that should and will be remembered for a LONG time. From the opening scenes until the end, X2 is one hard hitting punch one after the other and only takes a breather as not to give the enjoying movie goer a heart attack. In addition, the character developments, humor, dialogue and seemingly impossible balance of characters in this movie is-by-far, the best to date. There are so many little subplots and characters in this, it seems like a miracle that Bryan Singer was able to pull off a perfect balance. A miracle to the casual viewer---but second nature for him. There are those that said why did they leave out so many characters and not give them equal face time... the answer, Bryan All I know is that any comic-to-movie will be judged against X2. Many adventures will be as well. With Matrix Reloaded coming out in 2 weeks, X2 will definitely give it a run for its money. X2 was made for fans of the comic and fans of good ole fashion fun when going to a movie. Those that don't know jack about the source material will still enjoy this flick. Bryan Singer/Tom DeSanto and crew really made this movie for those that want to go on an adventure and be swept into an un-ultra cool universe with amazing people doing amazing things-while, at the same time, being grounded into reality. Forget movies that leave you depressed after you see them (oddly enough, the ones that win freakin' Oscars). Forget movies with technically enhanced musical numbers while prancing around in tight clothing (I still can't believe that movie won so many awards). The sad thing here is, movies that we, as kids enjoyed so much-are the ones that will never be recognized by the award-giving community. Movies like X2 will gain it's recognition and kudos by it's word of mouth, incredible box office numbers, and most importantly--fan and viewer respect and appreciation of Singer and crew's masterpiece. party on wayne... Expand
  87. KatrinaD.
    May 5, 2003
    Where to begin? This movie amazed me, astounded me and definitely surpassed the original. I would say that it was an 8 overall, but I had to add an extra point for the fantastic performance of Cumming as Nightcrawler. Awesome! It was really going out on a limb to put a religiously affiliated character in the movie, but he pulled it off really well. I plan to buy this when it comes out on video.
  88. JasonP.
    May 5, 2003
    The action is top-notch, the dialogue is witty, and the new characters kick ass. The references to future characters and storylines makes you want to see the third one right away. It's made my all time top 10.
  89. KeithS.
    May 4, 2003
    This movie rocked!
  90. Jovi
    May 4, 2003
    THis is what a comic book based movie should be. Not watered down or "kiddie-fied" to sell toys. This kicked ass all around. A nice combination of sfx, humor, drama, and action help establish this film as one of those few sequal films that turn out to be better than their predecessor. Warner Bros. should take a pager from Fox and learn from it!!! X-Men all the way!!!
  91. ChadS.
    May 3, 2003
    "X2: X-Men United" delivers what you'd expect in a summer blockbuster; a satisfying story, not being one of them. But there's enough special effects, action scenes and a modicum of humor to distract you from caring; still, a little art wouldn't be fatal to the agenda of making a kazillion dollars. How the Wolverine met Rogue was a very impressive sequence in the first movie.
  92. Jack
    May 3, 2003
    Perfect! -- except for the last 10 minutes which suck.
  93. TheElusivePossom
    May 3, 2003
    I really don't know where to start, so I'll be blunt: this film is FANTASTIC, and an easy nomination for the best film ever award. The special effects are the best to date, and the acting is superb. There's a well-rounded mix of humour (most supplied by Hugh Jackman) and tear-inducing sorrow as we lose one of our favourites. Add to this screen-filling action scenes, combat I really don't know where to start, so I'll be blunt: this film is FANTASTIC, and an easy nomination for the best film ever award. The special effects are the best to date, and the acting is superb. There's a well-rounded mix of humour (most supplied by Hugh Jackman) and tear-inducing sorrow as we lose one of our favourites. Add to this screen-filling action scenes, combat showdowns and a wealth of intertextual references that die-hard fans will find orgasmic (appearances of Colossus, Shadowcat, Jason Striker, Jubilee and the Phoenix) and you've got a movie that will ensure self-success. 10/10 easy. Expand
  94. Banshee
    May 3, 2003
    Everything I wanted to say did the guys below. It's simply the best sequel of our time and the best comic adaptation since the Burton Batman-Movies. I can hardly await the rise of the Phoenix...
  95. ScottL.
    May 2, 2003
    Good effects, good action and longer. This was better then the first one because more action and stuff.
  96. RyanF
    May 2, 2003
    I viewed X2 along with a few of my friends. I was a little hesitant about the idea since I really hated the first installment of the film adaptation of the famed comic book characters. But all my vacillations dissolved just after the first scene that involved Nightcrawler in an intense action sequence in the White House. Forget the initial boredom I was setting my mind. X2 is pure action I viewed X2 along with a few of my friends. I was a little hesitant about the idea since I really hated the first installment of the film adaptation of the famed comic book characters. But all my vacillations dissolved just after the first scene that involved Nightcrawler in an intense action sequence in the White House. Forget the initial boredom I was setting my mind. X2 is pure action with a great set of flawed characters. The storyline of this sequel is far better compared to its predecessor. The first one left a lot of inconsistencies and lackluster personalities but this seemed almost flawless except for some side plots and Bobby Drake?s character that I absolutely hated. It follows the story of Wolverine where he meets his old acquaintance, Stryker, a government official set to destroy all mutants and the key to Wolverine?s past. From that point, the audience is indulged with a splurge of action sequences that could put you at the edge of your seat. My personal favorite is the escape of Magneto from his plastic prison. The effects were amazing and perfect. However, some characters are just so bland for my taste. Toping the list is Bobby Drake aka Iceman whose character displayed a mind-numbing idiocy as he follows his hormones in his pursuit for a single kiss with on-screen girlfriend, Rogue who comes near-second after Bobby Drake in my list. Add to that, the irascible love triangle of Cyclops - Jean Grey -Wolverine that closes (?) in an anti-climax is just so debilitating that it makes you cringe. It was a diversion from characters and from there, it turned into sissy crying spree care of Cyclops and Wolvie. You want to watch this because of the amazing action sequences and great storyline as it tries to come back into the world of the REAL X-Men world found in the comics and not the pitiful attempt of the first installment. Most actors were great and Brian Cox (Stryker) tops my list with Hugh Jackman coming second with a flawless portrayal of Wolverine. Expand
  97. JonC.
    May 2, 2003
    The movie will delight fans and entertain newcomers. Is it better than the original? The special effects seem to be. The acting is superb for this genre, and the action ever thrilling. The one weakness lies in the plurality of heroes, BUT that is only because the viewer is left wanting to see more of each of them, not because any one receives undue treatment. Still, I was satisfied at the The movie will delight fans and entertain newcomers. Is it better than the original? The special effects seem to be. The acting is superb for this genre, and the action ever thrilling. The one weakness lies in the plurality of heroes, BUT that is only because the viewer is left wanting to see more of each of them, not because any one receives undue treatment. Still, I was satisfied at the way each of the characters, both returning and newcomers, are given significant, meaningful moments to shine. Not a minute is wasted. Kudos to Brian Singer for this brilliantly directed sequel. Expand
    May 2, 2003
    I would like to clarify that "The San Francisco Chronicle" gave the Real Cancun an averaged score of 75 which is the same score they gave the Two Towers they also gave Cradle 2 the Grave a 50 and Kangaroo Jack a 25, the same score they gave this movie... now i don't know about you but that kind of makes me question their validity or sense of judgement. This is a great film not to be I would like to clarify that "The San Francisco Chronicle" gave the Real Cancun an averaged score of 75 which is the same score they gave the Two Towers they also gave Cradle 2 the Grave a 50 and Kangaroo Jack a 25, the same score they gave this movie... now i don't know about you but that kind of makes me question their validity or sense of judgement. This is a great film not to be missed don't listen to these negative reviews. Expand
  99. Hades
    May 2, 2003
    So much better than the first one, i can't wait for the third. X2 easily improves on every aspect of the original and goes further into the Marvel universe introducing new characters plots and subplots all in one intriguing package. Overall this is a great continuation of the Xmen series and i sincerely hope they make more of these. If you're a fan of Xmen you'll probably So much better than the first one, i can't wait for the third. X2 easily improves on every aspect of the original and goes further into the Marvel universe introducing new characters plots and subplots all in one intriguing package. Overall this is a great continuation of the Xmen series and i sincerely hope they make more of these. If you're a fan of Xmen you'll probably love this awesome sequel but even if you aren't a big fan I still think youll find the movie enjoyable. At first, things do seem a little bit confusing but everything has an explanation (maybe not EVERYTHING) but the main points do. Plus the ending, if you understand it by knowing what it is that's shown gets you so amped for the sequel i can't wait. Great cinema. Expand
  100. RickJ.G.
    May 2, 2003
    It's difficult to know who or what an X-Men movie is about. The problem with this movie, as with the first one, is that there are so many damn characters I felt like I was trying to follow a soap opera. What made Spiderman far more interesting to watch is that it revolved around one super hero, one super villain and one love triangle. X-Men is a mess with about a dozen characters (I It's difficult to know who or what an X-Men movie is about. The problem with this movie, as with the first one, is that there are so many damn characters I felt like I was trying to follow a soap opera. What made Spiderman far more interesting to watch is that it revolved around one super hero, one super villain and one love triangle. X-Men is a mess with about a dozen characters (I lost count), and a seemingly infinite number of subplots. The desire of Iceman and Rogue to make love despite the incompatibility of their powers is quite interesting. I wanted to see more, but the possibilities of focusing on these young lovers is quickly set aside early in the movie. Meanwhile, the X-Men battle to save the world from an evil scientist who hates mutants. I hadn't seen this in a movie before. I'm sure this is no matter to the comic book geeks out there, but for the average agnostic on the street who is not a member of the cult this is corny stuff no doubt. Expand

1. It also boosts the punch of the movie that so many of its action scenes evoke the Iraqi War news footage of the past month, and the "X-Men" premise -- people persecuted because their difference makes them seem threatening -- carries even more relevancy and weight than it did three years ago.
    An engaging spectacle of energy and special effects built around a doomy mood and an ensemble cast vigorously pursuing a story line that isn't nearly as snazzy as the dressing.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    My chief complaint is that these mutants are a little--well, vanilla. I wish the X-Men had a touch of kinkiness to go with their weird abilities.