4.7

1. Sep 28, 2010
    I rated this movie the total number of times I snickered throughout its entire 97 minutes. It really boils down to the fact that Jack Black and Michael Cera are a bad combo; combine that with the movie's lackluster writing and you get "Year One."
  2. Aug 11, 2011
    I actually felt my I.Q. level fall at least a few points after this idiot-fest was over. I can also thank this movie for single-handedly destroying my respect for every actor in it, especially the two leads. Paul Rudd, how could you?
  3. Dec 31, 2011
    It was kind of funny, but it was also full of gross, unnecessary dialogue. Overall, it was O.K., but I am giving it a 3 out of disgust. One of Jack Black, the #1 comedian in the world's weakest movies.
  4. Mar 13, 2012
    Ummmm... What can I say about this movie? It has disapointed me more then all the past god of war knock-off movies combined. As a christian I am thouroughly offended by the jokes and during the entire film there were bladenly obvious and unclever sexual references and jokes. I'm all for them if there clever and funny (arrested development for example) but I almost hated sopmorical humorUmmmm... What can I say about this movie? It has disapointed me more then all the past god of war knock-off movies combined. As a christian I am thouroughly offended by the jokes and during the entire film there were bladenly obvious and unclever sexual references and jokes. I'm all for them if there clever and funny (arrested development for example) but I almost hated sopmorical humor after watching this piece of s***. I am not even kidding one of my friends I was watching this with just walked out and I discussed with my other friend wether we should join him or not and now I wish I did. I am not even kidding when I say that I double dipped with my two friends to watch the new (now old) star trek and felt no shame as year one was worth getting paid to watch. Expand
  5. JesseB
    Oct 13, 2009
    Very disappointing. I like Black and Cera, but it just wasn't funny.
  6. CJ
    Jun 21, 2009
    The entire movie contained forced comedy and lacked imagination. Many actor/actresses should be ashamed that their names and careers are tied to this piece. If you expect nothing from this movie, you are asking for too much.
  7. PatHunley
    Jun 21, 2009
    The plot had absolutely no direction; it seemed like they thought up the movie as they made it. Michael Cera and Jack Black just flat out didn't work as a comedy team because they rely on completely different kinds of humor, Cera on being quietly awkward and Black on being over the top and dirty. But what made this movie unbearable was that it just wasn't funny. All of the above The plot had absolutely no direction; it seemed like they thought up the movie as they made it. Michael Cera and Jack Black just flat out didn't work as a comedy team because they rely on completely different kinds of humor, Cera on being quietly awkward and Black on being over the top and dirty. But what made this movie unbearable was that it just wasn't funny. All of the above would've been tolerable if I had laughed a decent amount, but nothing in this movie evoked more than a chuckle. Don't waste your money on this movie. Heck, don't waste a Netflix rental on this movie. It's a waste of 1 hour 40 minutes of your life that you'll wish you had back. Expand
  8. Brendan
    Jun 21, 2009
    I love Michael Cera. jack black's funny when he's not way over the top. the previews were promising, but this movie was just not funny. nearly all the jokes were just pathetic attempts at a laugh... the script could have been written by a 3rd grader. if you really thought this movie was funny, you're just not smart.
  9. BenjyE.
    Jun 20, 2009
    Thoroughly disappointing.
  10. williamw
    Jun 24, 2009
    Jack Black - funny actor. Michael Cera - devoid of humour, charisma and charm. Jokes - ok'ish, but mostly flat.
  11. dragonpenchant
    Jul 1, 2009
    Even if you love cera or black (i usually dig both) resist the temptation to see Year One. it's boring and not at all funny. these guys should be ashamed.
  12. DianaM.
    Aug 10, 2009
    I love Jack Black but this was the worst movie ever! Walked out in the middle--just a horrible movie!
  13. JakeK.
    Sep 9, 2009
    I cant believe this is still in theaters i could do a play in my back yard thats better than this!
  14. RyanS.
    Oct 9, 2009
    Jack Black was kind of funny, but the rest of this was garbage. Way too much unfunny biblical stuff, too.
  15. chrischris
    Jun 21, 2009
    could this movie be any more insulting to GOD? This is one of the few movies I have ever walked out on. It was that bad.
  16. ChadS.
    Jun 20, 2009
    "Year One" is no "Life of Brian", but any film, especially a mainstream one, that dares to satirize(and even question) organized religion, has balls. Whereas "Monty Python's Life of Brian" was ideologically similar to Depeche Mode's "Blasphemous Rumors"(both movie and song begrudgingly acknowledges the existence of God), "Year One" seems more in tune with XTC's "Dear God", "Year One" is no "Life of Brian", but any film, especially a mainstream one, that dares to satirize(and even question) organized religion, has balls. Whereas "Monty Python's Life of Brian" was ideologically similar to Depeche Mode's "Blasphemous Rumors"(both movie and song begrudgingly acknowledges the existence of God), "Year One" seems more in tune with XTC's "Dear God", in which Zed(Jack Black) no longer believes that the "junk is true"(paraphrased from the Andy Partridge lyric). The music video for "Dear God"(directed by Nick Brandt) shows a small child at the base of a barren tree, conspicuously apple-free. The heretical image challenges the concept of original sin as nothing more than a prefabrication. There's a tree in "Year One" too, akin to the Tree of Knowledge(from the Book of Genesis), where Zed takes a bite of the forbidden fruit with the expressed hope that its transgressive flesh will make him wiser. At one point, although the film won't come out and say it, Zed thinks he's Jesus Christ. But then the "chosen one" has an epiphany, similar to a hypothetical Jesus losing his faith at the crucifixtion. As the Sodom townsfolk gather rocks at his stoning(this is Zed's Passion), he realizes that nothing happened to him at the Holy of the Holies, so he loses faith and relinquishes his claim on being a savior. Late in the film, he tells the people to "make your own destiny"(implying that they forego idolatry and practice free will), because there's "no pearly gates, no thorny crown". In spite of its provocative subtext, "Year One" is sunk by its own puerility(the usual suspects: urine and poop make cameos). Too bad. Where Zed chooses the girl over being a religious icon, "Year One" plays like "The Last Temptation of Zed"(in which the Nikos Kazantzakis novel is rewritten when the Christ-like figure succumbs to earthly pleasures for good). Expand
  17. Fantasy
    Jun 22, 2009
    The less said the better. A waste of your time. Avoid.
  18. EnzoPluton
    Jun 22, 2009
    Sure year one had its laughs but it had so many stupid parts that I think this movie could be the worst movie of the summer.
  19. DAVE
    Jun 23, 2009
    Just plain unfunny. It gets a three because I laughed at the trailer.
  20. JoeM
    Jul 2, 2009
    Save your money, do not go see this movie. It says it's a comedy, but I barely laughed at all while watching it.
  21. BrianJ.
    Jul 24, 2009
    Ever seen a promising trailer with very funny cut-scenes but then when you actually see the movie, the feeling you have before eatch of those scenes is somewhat awkward due to how depressingly bad the movie is and then the whole scene is just ruined? That happend to me before each and every scene that had potential to be even remotely funny. This movie is the epitome of whats wrong in our Ever seen a promising trailer with very funny cut-scenes but then when you actually see the movie, the feeling you have before eatch of those scenes is somewhat awkward due to how depressingly bad the movie is and then the whole scene is just ruined? That happend to me before each and every scene that had potential to be even remotely funny. This movie is the epitome of whats wrong in our now make-a-quick-buck platformed entertainment industry. Expand
  22. JeremyToki
    Jun 21, 2009
    Ridiculous. I eally wanted this movie to be funny and it sucked. What happened to Black and Cera? I had respect for them, but that's shaken now. Bottom Line: Horrible movie. Way too sacrilegious and just unfunny otherwise. Disappointing
  23. SummerT
    Jun 22, 2009
    I love Jack Black, but this was terrible. All of the funny parts were shown on the preview. This movie dragged the entire time, and I couldn't wait for it to be over.
  24. StacyW
    Jun 28, 2009
    I LOVE Michael Cera, but this movie was just awful. Awful.
  25. KevinC.
    Aug 29, 2009
    The best that could be said about this movie is that Jack Black and Michael Cera do a good job pretending that the script is funny. I firmly belive that all the actors in the movie plotted this terrible waste of eyesight so that on their next bomb everyone can say "At least it was not as bad as Year One".
  26. Feb 6, 2011
    Awful movie. Jack Black just isn't funny. He has had one decent movie in the school of rock, and he has been riding that movie to bust after bust after bust. Cera never has been good. I have seen actors playing in high school plays perform better. I watched about 10 minutes of this movie. It had no plot, no character development, and was relying on the pre-teen/teen crowd to carry the ratings.
  27. Feb 24, 2013
    I hate Jack Black! He is a talentless hack who babels on an on like a buffoon. I really have no idea why I wanted to see this horrible piece of cinema, but it's clearly one of the worst movies I've seen all year. The babbling is endless, the characters are whiny, and the plot of the movie is just stupid. I was kind of a hoping a dinosaur would come along and eat these two idiots! This isI hate Jack Black! He is a talentless hack who babels on an on like a buffoon. I really have no idea why I wanted to see this horrible piece of cinema, but it's clearly one of the worst movies I've seen all year. The babbling is endless, the characters are whiny, and the plot of the movie is just stupid. I was kind of a hoping a dinosaur would come along and eat these two idiots! This is two hours of my life I wish I could have back. Expand
  28. Jul 16, 2013
    A very mis-matched movie, it mixes humor seen in bad cartoons with adult sex references. The movie has some great actors in tow but none really do anything laugh-worthy. The movie goes nowhere for a large portion and makes no good use of the actors comedic talents. I watched it all the way through but took away nothing but the fact the movie was below average at best.

Year One is not really THAT bad and not ENTIRELY without laughs.
  2. During all of the film’s oh-so-long 97 minutes, Year One, barely earns a snicker.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Any good will the movie generates, though, is grated right back off by Black, whose obnoxiousness has lost whatever charm it once possessed.