4.7

1. Sep 28, 2010
    I rated this movie the total number of times I snickered throughout its entire 97 minutes. It really boils down to the fact that Jack Black and Michael Cera are a bad combo; combine that with the movie's lackluster writing and you get "Year One."
  2. Dec 31, 2011
    It was kind of funny, but it was also full of gross, unnecessary dialogue. Overall, it was O.K., but I am giving it a 3 out of disgust. One of Jack Black, the #1 comedian in the world's weakest movies.
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    Ummmm... What can I say about this movie? It has disapointed me more then all the past god of war knock-off movies combined. As a christian I am thouroughly offended by the jokes and during the entire film there were bladenly obvious and unclever sexual references and jokes. I'm all for them if there clever and funny (arrested development for example) but I almost hated sopmorical humor after watching this piece of s***. I am not even kidding one of my friends I was watching this with just walked out and I discussed with my other friend wether we should join him or not and now I wish I did. I am not even kidding when I say that I double dipped with my two friends to watch the new (now old) star trek and felt no shame as year one was worth getting paid to watch. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2011
    Awful movie. Jack Black just isn't funny. He has had one decent movie in the school of rock, and he has been riding that movie to bust after bust after bust. Cera never has been good. I have seen actors playing in high school plays perform better. I watched about 10 minutes of this movie. It had no plot, no character development, and was relying on the pre-teen/teen crowd to carry the ratings.
  5. Aug 11, 2011
    I actually felt my I.Q. level fall at least a few points after this idiot-fest was over. I can also thank this movie for single-handedly destroying my respect for every actor in it, especially the two leads. Paul Rudd, how could you?
  6. Oct 16, 2011
    Bought this on whim having missed it's release. After the opening scene, thought I was on to a winner, however the rest of the film failed to live up to the early promise. There are a few laughs to be had but generally it just isn't funny. The plot is far from smooth and most of the time it appears the actors are making the lines up as they go along.
  7. Feb 24, 2013
    I hate Jack Black! He is a talentless hack who babels on an on like a buffoon. I really have no idea why I wanted to see this horrible piece of cinema, but it's clearly one of the worst movies I've seen all year. The babbling is endless, the characters are whiny, and the plot of the movie is just stupid. I was kind of a hoping a dinosaur would come along and eat these two idiots! This is two hours of my life I wish I could have back. Expand
  8. Jul 16, 2013
    A very mis-matched movie, it mixes humor seen in bad cartoons with adult sex references. The movie has some great actors in tow but none really do anything laugh-worthy. The movie goes nowhere for a large portion and makes no good use of the actors comedic talents. I watched it all the way through but took away nothing but the fact the movie was below average at best.

Year One is not really THAT bad and not ENTIRELY without laughs.
  2. During all of the film’s oh-so-long 97 minutes, Year One, barely earns a snicker.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Any good will the movie generates, though, is grated right back off by Black, whose obnoxiousness has lost whatever charm it once possessed.