4.7

1. MikeW
    Jun 22, 2009
    Ok seriously, 95% of the time I agree with most of the critical concensus here. But on this one, I can't believe it has such a low score. The movie was FUNNY, it just was. Sure there were holes in the plot, sure the writers took short cuts, sure the ending wasn't great. But for my money, it was just a simple mostly hilarious movie and my friends and I laughed our asses off to Ok seriously, 95% of the time I agree with most of the critical concensus here. But on this one, I can't believe it has such a low score. The movie was FUNNY, it just was. Sure there were holes in the plot, sure the writers took short cuts, sure the ending wasn't great. But for my money, it was just a simple mostly hilarious movie and my friends and I laughed our asses off to it. Michael Cera was hilarious as he usually is, and he basically stole the best lines from Jack Black David Cross was great too. Year One, don't entirely buy the critical dismissiveness on this one. If you want to laugh, consider seeing this. Expand
  2. Sep 28, 2010
    I rated this movie the total number of times I snickered throughout its entire 97 minutes. It really boils down to the fact that Jack Black and Michael Cera are a bad combo; combine that with the movie's lackluster writing and you get "Year One."
  3. Rick
    Jun 20, 2009
    This is an example of don't trust the critics. I just saw this movie a few hours ago, and couldn't stop laughing. The entire theater seemed to be in agreement as at times the laughter was drowning out the lines. GREAT comedic movie.
  4. JamesM
    Jul 6, 2009
    This movie is so funny I laughed my pants off my thought is that Michael Cera was better than Jack Black I would say this is a great summer comedy.
  5. BobZhou
    Jun 22, 2009
    BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!! who cares if everything about it sucked. THis movie is the best movie ever its so epic!!! Screw everyone saying that its, " FLAWED" this movie doesn't rip off anything, its so origional
  6. DanielW
    Jul 3, 2009
    Excellent movie, everyone who disliked it can go watch the proposal or maybe enjoy some shindler's list whilst your at it, keep your boring movies to yourselves and let us have our great and fantastic bible spoof films like this its definitely better than any Monty python film.
  7. Aug 11, 2011
    I actually felt my I.Q. level fall at least a few points after this idiot-fest was over. I can also thank this movie for single-handedly destroying my respect for every actor in it, especially the two leads. Paul Rudd, how could you?
  8. Feb 4, 2011
    I really don't understand the low rating because I absolutely loved this movie. I've watched it several times and could keep on watching it again and again. I wasn't a Jack Black fan before seeing this, but now I'm more interested in seeing his movies. Michael Cera was terrific, as one might expect.
  9. Dec 31, 2011
    It was kind of funny, but it was also full of gross, unnecessary dialogue. Overall, it was O.K., but I am giving it a 3 out of disgust. One of Jack Black, the #1 comedian in the world's weakest movies.
  10. JayF
    Jul 3, 2009
    Awesome movie. The entire theater was in tears it was so funny.
  11. Colin
    Aug 5, 2009
    I thought it was a really funny, well made movie. Does not suck. At all.
  12. Mar 13, 2012
    Ummmm... What can I say about this movie? It has disapointed me more then all the past god of war knock-off movies combined. As a christian I am thouroughly offended by the jokes and during the entire film there were bladenly obvious and unclever sexual references and jokes. I'm all for them if there clever and funny (arrested development for example) but I almost hated sopmorical humorUmmmm... What can I say about this movie? It has disapointed me more then all the past god of war knock-off movies combined. As a christian I am thouroughly offended by the jokes and during the entire film there were bladenly obvious and unclever sexual references and jokes. I'm all for them if there clever and funny (arrested development for example) but I almost hated sopmorical humor after watching this piece of s***. I am not even kidding one of my friends I was watching this with just walked out and I discussed with my other friend wether we should join him or not and now I wish I did. I am not even kidding when I say that I double dipped with my two friends to watch the new (now old) star trek and felt no shame as year one was worth getting paid to watch. Expand
  13. JesseB
    Oct 13, 2009
    Very disappointing. I like Black and Cera, but it just wasn't funny.
  14. CJ
    Jun 21, 2009
    The entire movie contained forced comedy and lacked imagination. Many actor/actresses should be ashamed that their names and careers are tied to this piece. If you expect nothing from this movie, you are asking for too much.
  15. RazvT.
    Nov 21, 2009
    I don't agree with all the negative grades. It was a good movie, funny scenes, jack black is funny as always and everything is ok.
  16. PatHunley
    Jun 21, 2009
    The plot had absolutely no direction; it seemed like they thought up the movie as they made it. Michael Cera and Jack Black just flat out didn't work as a comedy team because they rely on completely different kinds of humor, Cera on being quietly awkward and Black on being over the top and dirty. But what made this movie unbearable was that it just wasn't funny. All of the above The plot had absolutely no direction; it seemed like they thought up the movie as they made it. Michael Cera and Jack Black just flat out didn't work as a comedy team because they rely on completely different kinds of humor, Cera on being quietly awkward and Black on being over the top and dirty. But what made this movie unbearable was that it just wasn't funny. All of the above would've been tolerable if I had laughed a decent amount, but nothing in this movie evoked more than a chuckle. Don't waste your money on this movie. Heck, don't waste a Netflix rental on this movie. It's a waste of 1 hour 40 minutes of your life that you'll wish you had back. Expand
  17. EricH.
    Jun 19, 2009
    I had really high hopes when I heard the concept and saw that it starred Michael Cera and Jack Black. After seeing the trailers, I was really hoping that it would be better than what was shown. Unfortunately, this movie was a bummer. Not horrible- it was still light years better than Land of the Lost- but not great considering the talented roster of supporting actors. It was also a shame I had really high hopes when I heard the concept and saw that it starred Michael Cera and Jack Black. After seeing the trailers, I was really hoping that it would be better than what was shown. Unfortunately, this movie was a bummer. Not horrible- it was still light years better than Land of the Lost- but not great considering the talented roster of supporting actors. It was also a shame to see Jack Black recycling the character we've seen in nearly all of his prior movies. It was appropriate for this type of film, but it just seemed stale, like Will Ferell in LOTL. Michael Cera was great, doing his usual sad sack self deprecating schtick. Overall, this movie seemed like a half-ass Monty Python or Mel Brooks movie. It mostly reminded me how good Life of Brian was. In this case, I set my expectations too high. My benchmark this year for comedies is The Hangover, and this didn't even come close. Wait for the DVD or a matinee and you won't feel like you spent too much. Expand
  18. NikkiN.
    Jun 21, 2009
    It had it's funny moments but for the most part Year One just dragged on. It seemed like they were aiming for a plot but missed entirely. They do have sum good comedians n this movie but they cant bring comedy 2 a poorly written script. it wud've looked better if they wud've just ad libbed and improved the whole movie...That wud've been worth seeing.
  19. XouX.
    Jun 20, 2009
    Hilarious film throughout. what it lacked though was that the storyline was weak and it had to many sexual preference that you felt it was an rated R film. i did enjoy the chemistry between cera and black and how they always seem to find trouble. however some of the jokes are to outdated and often times overused like jacks weight and cera's virginity. not your top ten movie but itHilarious film throughout. what it lacked though was that the storyline was weak and it had to many sexual preference that you felt it was an rated R film. i did enjoy the chemistry between cera and black and how they always seem to find trouble. however some of the jokes are to outdated and often times overused like jacks weight and cera's virginity. not your top ten movie but it does deliver what its supposed to...laughs Expand
  20. BrodeeK
    Jul 11, 2009
    I watched this movie at the cinema and was 15 mins into the movie when i arrived yet i still thought this movie was completely hilarious all the critics that gave it bad rating obviously don't know anything about films, of course there are better parody's out there but none with awesome actors like jack black and/or michael cera their addition to this film helped it place in MY I watched this movie at the cinema and was 15 mins into the movie when i arrived yet i still thought this movie was completely hilarious all the critics that gave it bad rating obviously don't know anything about films, of course there are better parody's out there but none with awesome actors like jack black and/or michael cera their addition to this film helped it place in MY top ten greatest movies of all time. Expand
  21. Brendan
    Jun 21, 2009
    I love Michael Cera. jack black's funny when he's not way over the top. the previews were promising, but this movie was just not funny. nearly all the jokes were just pathetic attempts at a laugh... the script could have been written by a 3rd grader. if you really thought this movie was funny, you're just not smart.
  22. BenjyE.
    Thoroughly disappointing.
  23. williamw
    Jun 24, 2009
    Jack Black - funny actor. Michael Cera - devoid of humour, charisma and charm. Jokes - ok'ish, but mostly flat.
  24. RoseH
    Jul 14, 2009
    I thought that this movie was hilarious and the actors were the icing on the cake. I didn't think that Jack Black was very funny but Michael Cera was very comical and the pure stupidity of the movie was hysterical!
  25. dragonpenchant
    Jul 1, 2009
    Even if you love cera or black (i usually dig both) resist the temptation to see Year One. it's boring and not at all funny. these guys should be ashamed.
  26. DianaM.
    Aug 10, 2009
    I love Jack Black but this was the worst movie ever! Walked out in the middle--just a horrible movie!
  27. JacobE
    Aug 5, 2009
    This movie would've gotten a better score from most critics if there was actually a plot in it. It seemed to have a large amount of potential, but overall falls flat. If you want to watch a decent comedy with promising actorscomedians, watch Funny People.
  28. JakeK.
    Sep 9, 2009
    I cant believe this is still in theaters i could do a play in my back yard thats better than this!
  29. ChrisG.
    Nov 10, 2009
    While nothing special, this movie moves along nicely and provides some good laughs provided that one (a) like this sort of mindless movies (b) is in the mood for some light entertainment.
  30. RyanS.
    Oct 9, 2009
    Jack Black was kind of funny, but the rest of this was garbage. Way too much unfunny biblical stuff, too.
  31. ED
    Jun 19, 2009
    Not especially funny. It had some gross parts which were entirely unnecessary. I give it a 6 because it makes basic digs at religion.
  32. Camille
    Jun 21, 2009
    Is this movie really, really stupid? Yes, absolutely. I expected as much. But I did not expect to laugh and enjoy it as much as I did. Perhaps my low, low expectations for this film is what made me enjoy it as much as I did, but I'm not gonna lie, I had an enjoyable movie-going experience.
  33. chrischris
    Jun 21, 2009
    could this movie be any more insulting to GOD? This is one of the few movies I have ever walked out on. It was that bad.
  34. ChadS.
    Jun 20, 2009
    "Year One" is no "Life of Brian", but any film, especially a mainstream one, that dares to satirize(and even question) organized religion, has balls. Whereas "Monty Python's Life of Brian" was ideologically similar to Depeche Mode's "Blasphemous Rumors"(both movie and song begrudgingly acknowledges the existence of God), "Year One" seems more in tune with XTC's "Dear God", "Year One" is no "Life of Brian", but any film, especially a mainstream one, that dares to satirize(and even question) organized religion, has balls. Whereas "Monty Python's Life of Brian" was ideologically similar to Depeche Mode's "Blasphemous Rumors"(both movie and song begrudgingly acknowledges the existence of God), "Year One" seems more in tune with XTC's "Dear God", in which Zed(Jack Black) no longer believes that the "junk is true"(paraphrased from the Andy Partridge lyric). The music video for "Dear God"(directed by Nick Brandt) shows a small child at the base of a barren tree, conspicuously apple-free. The heretical image challenges the concept of original sin as nothing more than a prefabrication. There's a tree in "Year One" too, akin to the Tree of Knowledge(from the Book of Genesis), where Zed takes a bite of the forbidden fruit with the expressed hope that its transgressive flesh will make him wiser. At one point, although the film won't come out and say it, Zed thinks he's Jesus Christ. But then the "chosen one" has an epiphany, similar to a hypothetical Jesus losing his faith at the crucifixtion. As the Sodom townsfolk gather rocks at his stoning(this is Zed's Passion), he realizes that nothing happened to him at the Holy of the Holies, so he loses faith and relinquishes his claim on being a savior. Late in the film, he tells the people to "make your own destiny"(implying that they forego idolatry and practice free will), because there's "no pearly gates, no thorny crown". In spite of its provocative subtext, "Year One" is sunk by its own puerility(the usual suspects: urine and poop make cameos). Too bad. Where Zed chooses the girl over being a religious icon, "Year One" plays like "The Last Temptation of Zed"(in which the Nikos Kazantzakis novel is rewritten when the Christ-like figure succumbs to earthly pleasures for good). Expand
  35. Fantasy
    Jun 22, 2009
    The less said the better. A waste of your time. Avoid.
  36. EnzoPluton
    Jun 22, 2009
    Sure year one had its laughs but it had so many stupid parts that I think this movie could be the worst movie of the summer.
  37. DAVE
    Jun 23, 2009
    Just plain unfunny. It gets a three because I laughed at the trailer.
  38. JacobL
    Jul 1, 2009
    I loved this movie. However, the reason while it isn't a 9 or 10 is because as at this certain point (when the two cave men enter the barbaric city) the jokes sudden stop becoming as fun as they were before and I found myself either not laughing as hard as I was before or not laughing at all. Nonetheless, this is a movie definitely worth checking out that anyone who loves a good I loved this movie. However, the reason while it isn't a 9 or 10 is because as at this certain point (when the two cave men enter the barbaric city) the jokes sudden stop becoming as fun as they were before and I found myself either not laughing as hard as I was before or not laughing at all. Nonetheless, this is a movie definitely worth checking out that anyone who loves a good comedy should see. Expand
  39. JoeM
    Jul 2, 2009
    Save your money, do not go see this movie. It says it's a comedy, but I barely laughed at all while watching it.
  40. BrianJ.
    Jul 24, 2009
    Ever seen a promising trailer with very funny cut-scenes but then when you actually see the movie, the feeling you have before eatch of those scenes is somewhat awkward due to how depressingly bad the movie is and then the whole scene is just ruined? That happend to me before each and every scene that had potential to be even remotely funny. This movie is the epitome of whats wrong in our Ever seen a promising trailer with very funny cut-scenes but then when you actually see the movie, the feeling you have before eatch of those scenes is somewhat awkward due to how depressingly bad the movie is and then the whole scene is just ruined? That happend to me before each and every scene that had potential to be even remotely funny. This movie is the epitome of whats wrong in our now make-a-quick-buck platformed entertainment industry. Expand
  41. AlS
    Jul 30, 2009
    This is possibly the best movie of the year. The jokes, from lesbian innuendo to deadpan virginity references, are infinitely funnier than anything that "great comedies" like Dr. Strangelove or The Producers could ever come up with. Anyone who didn't like this movie either "had an IQ of above 80" or has no knowledge of what great film really is.
  42. KevinB
    Jul 4, 2009
    Hysterically funny from about 10 minutes in to the very end, of course being very susceptible to sexual humor definitely helps.
  43. TimothyT.
    Sep 26, 2009
    There's more humor in most thrillers than Year One.
  44. PerverzBi
    Oct 17, 2009
    It's a typical Apatow movie set in the times of the Old Testament. And the Old Testament is perfect for an Apatow movie's sex&fart jokes. Yes, it is a different kind of humour than what Mel Brooks had, but this movie's plot is more comprehensive, I think. If you survive the first 20 minutes, it turns out to be quite funny to reflect today's order of values in the It's a typical Apatow movie set in the times of the Old Testament. And the Old Testament is perfect for an Apatow movie's sex&fart jokes. Yes, it is a different kind of humour than what Mel Brooks had, but this movie's plot is more comprehensive, I think. If you survive the first 20 minutes, it turns out to be quite funny to reflect today's order of values in the biblical setting. Expand
  45. BenB
    Oct 24, 2009
    The films opens with a strange but digestible set of caveman gags. The film however seems to continue with the same types of gags throughout various time periods without ever offering anything fresh. My the end of the movie, you are left in a dramatic climax scene full of characters that you have long stopped caring about, in a movie that has definitely overstayed its welcome.
  46. JohnD
    Oct 27, 2009
    Best movie of the year. Micheal Cera should win best supporting actor award. I would rank this as #3 all time behind Felini's 8 1/2 and Citizen Kane, and slightly ahead of Godfather part 1.
  47. DerekH.
    Jun 19, 2009
    I will admit, the movie could have been a little more funny then what it actually was, but a decent script and some decent actors, with a decent concept and you got a decent movie.
  48. BillH.
    Jun 19, 2009
    You'll be getting stoned....TODAY!!!!! Classic.
  49. MichaelO
    Jun 21, 2009
    Are you kidding? Hilarious!
  50. TDKinDallas
    Jun 21, 2009
    This movie is very funny. If you were expecting some kind of re-invention of comedy then you went to the wrong movie. It is just a stupid comedy and it is very funny. After reading the reviews I was already disappointed, but it turned out to be just about what I expected. The only sad thing is that there were a lot of places where they could have taken the comedy a lot further, but I This movie is very funny. If you were expecting some kind of re-invention of comedy then you went to the wrong movie. It is just a stupid comedy and it is very funny. After reading the reviews I was already disappointed, but it turned out to be just about what I expected. The only sad thing is that there were a lot of places where they could have taken the comedy a lot further, but I guess somebody somewhere was satisfied with it as it was. I actually give it 6 out of 10 stars because it is a stupid movie, but it's funny as **** and I am recommending it to 16 and up. Expand
  51. JeremyToki
    Jun 21, 2009
    Ridiculous. I eally wanted this movie to be funny and it sucked. What happened to Black and Cera? I had respect for them, but that's shaken now. Bottom Line: Horrible movie. Way too sacrilegious and just unfunny otherwise. Disappointing
  52. SummerT
    Jun 22, 2009
    I love Jack Black, but this was terrible. All of the funny parts were shown on the preview. This movie dragged the entire time, and I couldn't wait for it to be over.
  53. DanD
    Jun 24, 2009
    Thought the movie had some great jokes in there, with some really great potential, unfortunately they didn't do a great job tying it all together.
  54. MaxM
    Jun 25, 2009
    This movie wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. For a PG-13 movie, it really did quite well and managed to give me a few laughs. Jack Black and Michael Cera are a good combo and the laid-back-sort-of-stoner humor was a good touch. I didn't care for the moralistic crap and Jack Black's "everyone is the chosen one" speech in the end. But hey, it's a PG-13 movie. This movie wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. For a PG-13 movie, it really did quite well and managed to give me a few laughs. Jack Black and Michael Cera are a good combo and the laid-back-sort-of-stoner humor was a good touch. I didn't care for the moralistic crap and Jack Black's "everyone is the chosen one" speech in the end. But hey, it's a PG-13 movie. Don't push your expectations to their highest then give it a 36. I mean come on, get real. Newsweek gives a good review saying, "A thoroughly, sometimes gaggingly broad and sly conceptual laugh-in". That's a pretty good way to describe it. Whereas LA Weekly calls it "Unbearably painful from shrugging start to outtakes-laden finish". Uhhhh.... if you don't wanna stay for the credit's, JUST LEAVE. Don't add criticism to the credits. Only the worst movie critics will resort to that. Expand
  55. BryanK
    Jun 26, 2009
    This film was a very comical film despite critical complaints. I began watching this film with the belief it would be terrible or unwatchable, however it was very enjoyable and funny. It spoofed many Bible stories which was offensive when it first began, but it improved and became central to the story's development. Jack Black played his usual rebellious character who does not agree This film was a very comical film despite critical complaints. I began watching this film with the belief it would be terrible or unwatchable, however it was very enjoyable and funny. It spoofed many Bible stories which was offensive when it first began, but it improved and became central to the story's development. Jack Black played his usual rebellious character who does not agree with the "norm" who in the end comes out on top. Michael Cera plays his character with a sense of logic and intelligence who is sexually attracted to the female lead. Their were awkward moments which were for some particular reason entertaining such as Michael Cera saving the main female lead through sex (Don't ask me why). Overall it was an entertaining film and one which is not appreciated by the critics. When viewing this film, a person is to let their mind go and not question the movie, but simply enjoy it. Expand
  56. StacyW
    Jun 28, 2009
    I LOVE Michael Cera, but this movie was just awful. Awful.
  57. KeenanS
    Jul 12, 2009
    I'm not going to lie, if Jack Black and Michael Cera had not been in this film, it would have been an utter failure. They're the only actors who keep this film afloat. The film was decent, and provided some pretty good laughs, but sometimes the jokes were overkilled. The other actors also lend a helping hand in dragging down the experience, especially the guy who played Cain. I'm not going to lie, if Jack Black and Michael Cera had not been in this film, it would have been an utter failure. They're the only actors who keep this film afloat. The film was decent, and provided some pretty good laughs, but sometimes the jokes were overkilled. The other actors also lend a helping hand in dragging down the experience, especially the guy who played Cain. Still, this film does provide good entertainment that won't ruin your day. At the end of the day, you walk out of the theater satisfied and entertained. Not the best comedy ever, but it certainly is better than some of the other recent ones (Let's not talk about Disaster Movie). Expand
  58. KevinC.
    Aug 29, 2009
    The best that could be said about this movie is that Jack Black and Michael Cera do a good job pretending that the script is funny. I firmly belive that all the actors in the movie plotted this terrible waste of eyesight so that on their next bomb everyone can say "At least it was not as bad as Year One".
  59. JayH.
    Sep 29, 2009
    Harold Ramis is no Mel Brooks. The concept seemed funny, but there are way too many misses in the humor, as well as far too many male genitalia gags. Occasionally there are some laughs, the art direction and costumes are imaginative but otherwise it doesn't work.
  60. Aug 31, 2010
    I had very low expectations about this movie since Jack Black has made some real duds (be kind, rewind, Nacho Libre, etc) but I was very surprised to find myself laughing out load at times and overall I enjoyed this movie very much. The plot is simplistic but the comedy is very witty and fresh.Cera's character is great and his rumblings and lines are witty and funny, there were severalI had very low expectations about this movie since Jack Black has made some real duds (be kind, rewind, Nacho Libre, etc) but I was very surprised to find myself laughing out load at times and overall I enjoyed this movie very much. The plot is simplistic but the comedy is very witty and fresh.Cera's character is great and his rumblings and lines are witty and funny, there were several surprise cameo appearance's also, one of the funnier ones involves Paul Rudd who I really enjoy. This movie is not a 10 but is definitely worth seeing if you like funny movies because the vast majority of them are stinkers, I have recommended this movie to several friends and all have said the same thing after watching it, they thought that it was very funny. Expand
  61. Feb 26, 2011
    This is one of those movies that you will love or hate. I actually enjoyed this flick. Sure the plot is horrible, dont make much sense. Pointless action scenes, acting isnt that its terrible its just a random movie, on a quest or lack off. If you like the cast then its worth a watch. If you like cornball movies this is for you. I love cornball movies as its my sense of humor.
  62. Feb 1, 2011
    Year one is barely sporadically funny, predictabally lame, but the film does offer some rather surprising gross out gags, that some if not most summer comedy fans will enjoy
  63. Feb 6, 2011
    Awful movie. Jack Black just isn't funny. He has had one decent movie in the school of rock, and he has been riding that movie to bust after bust after bust. Cera never has been good. I have seen actors playing in high school plays perform better. I watched about 10 minutes of this movie. It had no plot, no character development, and was relying on the pre-teen/teen crowd to carry the ratings.
  64. Oct 16, 2011
    Bought this on whim having missed it's release. After the opening scene, thought I was on to a winner, however the rest of the film failed to live up to the early promise. There are a few laughs to be had but generally it just isn't funny. The plot is far from smooth and most of the time it appears the actors are making the lines up as they go along.
  65. May 3, 2012
    It was funny throughout. This parody movie has laughs and a bit of a heart. The story was much better than I had expected it to be.
  66. Feb 24, 2013
    I hate Jack Black! He is a talentless hack who babels on an on like a buffoon. I really have no idea why I wanted to see this horrible piece of cinema, but it's clearly one of the worst movies I've seen all year. The babbling is endless, the characters are whiny, and the plot of the movie is just stupid. I was kind of a hoping a dinosaur would come along and eat these two idiots! This isI hate Jack Black! He is a talentless hack who babels on an on like a buffoon. I really have no idea why I wanted to see this horrible piece of cinema, but it's clearly one of the worst movies I've seen all year. The babbling is endless, the characters are whiny, and the plot of the movie is just stupid. I was kind of a hoping a dinosaur would come along and eat these two idiots! This is two hours of my life I wish I could have back. Collapse
  67. Jul 24, 2012
    Very funny, with jokes very well done, this is really an example of "do not trust blindly in the critical", it is worth watching and be sure the writers had a lot of work on the jokes, because they are perfect! To give a low grade for jokes so good, one must be very boring, and is running with all work very well executed! In short: It's worth seeing, and give a good grade, to show theseVery funny, with jokes very well done, this is really an example of "do not trust blindly in the critical", it is worth watching and be sure the writers had a lot of work on the jokes, because they are perfect! To give a low grade for jokes so good, one must be very boring, and is running with all work very well executed! In short: It's worth seeing, and give a good grade, to show these critics that they are jerks! Expand
  68. JB-
    Nov 6, 2012
    It was very funny I loved this movie.. .
  69. Aug 10, 2013
    The last half hour of Year One is much better than the first hour but is still very stupid, childish and I expected Adam Sandler to turn up any second.
  70. Jul 16, 2013
    A very mis-matched movie, it mixes humor seen in bad cartoons with adult sex references. The movie has some great actors in tow but none really do anything laugh-worthy. The movie goes nowhere for a large portion and makes no good use of the actors comedic talents. I watched it all the way through but took away nothing but the fact the movie was below average at best.
  71. Sep 17, 2014
    There are few movies I can watch over and over. The Matrix, LotR - The Fellowship of the Ring, The Hobbit and I've recently added Year One to this short list. The first time I saw it, I think there was just too much to take in. It's crammed with jokes and subtle body language. If you're stuck up or don't like outrageous humor like Dumb and Dumber, don't bother. I don't feel like readingThere are few movies I can watch over and over. The Matrix, LotR - The Fellowship of the Ring, The Hobbit and I've recently added Year One to this short list. The first time I saw it, I think there was just too much to take in. It's crammed with jokes and subtle body language. If you're stuck up or don't like outrageous humor like Dumb and Dumber, don't bother. I don't feel like reading another "Woe is me, this movie is so disgusting/offensive/gross". Go back to your Downton Abbey.

Best parts: Michael Cera dancing, "You can stick your finger in it's hole", "Ribbit... Go Away Marlack", Michael Cera Sleep Over with gassy kid, "muscle tribe of danger and excellence", "What does this look like?", "I've seen what you do with your right hand, no thanks."

Year One is not really THAT bad and not ENTIRELY without laughs.
  2. During all of the film’s oh-so-long 97 minutes, Year One, barely earns a snicker.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Any good will the movie generates, though, is grated right back off by Black, whose obnoxiousness has lost whatever charm it once possessed.