8.2

1. LeonardN.
    Jul 4, 2005
    Poetic, beautiful, interesting and subtle from beginning to inconsistent end. It is hard to believe that the negative critics can rate this film so low, leaving little room below for the unambitious popular junk that draws in the crowds. It's true that the movie is ambitious, but that's in its favor. A dazzling achievement for its director, writer, and composer (all the same Poetic, beautiful, interesting and subtle from beginning to inconsistent end. It is hard to believe that the negative critics can rate this film so low, leaving little room below for the unambitious popular junk that draws in the crowds. It's true that the movie is ambitious, but that's in its favor. A dazzling achievement for its director, writer, and composer (all the same woman) and for its wonderful actors. Expand
  2. DeniseL.
    Jun 19, 2005
    A fascinating love story with thought provoking political and cultural implications.
  3. nusam.
    Jul 15, 2005
    I was stunned at how unusually excellent this movie kept being throughout. Succeeds at dynamic balance of remarkably stylized, and fresh-feelinged, topical, v. human portrayal. With light brilliance, subtle scoring and poetic linguistics, Potter took me on an engaging surf along many edges of experience, diverse political and interpersonal points of view. I guess if you want to see a I was stunned at how unusually excellent this movie kept being throughout. Succeeds at dynamic balance of remarkably stylized, and fresh-feelinged, topical, v. human portrayal. With light brilliance, subtle scoring and poetic linguistics, Potter took me on an engaging surf along many edges of experience, diverse political and interpersonal points of view. I guess if you want to see a typical movie, then you may find some of those critics that do not want to leave their previous perspective behind in order to take an unusual ride... but i, for one am grateful to find a movie that took me lightly out of my mental norms, while touching my heart. Expand
  4. NancyL.
    Sep 3, 2006
    Potter's "Yes" is comparable to the work of William Shakespeare. Both bards briliantly speak of love, faith, politics and death in contexts understandable to the audiences of their times.
  5. hughiew
    Jun 23, 2005
    Lovely and romantic and engaging. Clever, but not too clever. Great performances, cinematography,score and direction. Don't believe the bitter bitter NY crix!
  6. BJ
    Jun 11, 2006
    Sally Potter has had a stunning career in avante garde cinema and this is one of her best. Beautifully photographed, beautiful, (if sometimes overly smart) poetic dialogue characters trying to make sense in the post 9-11 realities, honest, strong. If you are looking for Hollywood narrative, look elsewhere. If you are looking for an intellectually and aesthetically engaging film, watch YES.

1. Despite many interesting mise-en-scene moments, the film disappointingly feels as sterile as the family's immaculately clean house. In a sense, the movie is too ambitious.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Ultimately has nothing of any real depth or profundity to say, but a thousand self-consciously complex ways of saying it.
    You may get off on this enthralling stuff, But after half an hour I'd had enough.