8.2

1. May 16, 2012
    I have overlooked this movie when it was released and it's through perusal of IMDb's various lists I came across it. I use the term overlooked because I usually would read the storyline and other movie information for titles that feature the Oscar winning actor Ben Kingsley; several of them appealed to my taste in the various genres he's delivered his quality contributions, though more did not. How else could I, or anyone else, have had the pleasure to see "House of Sand and Fog", if it weren't for the effort of looking for his stuff to start with? Kingsley has been known to make movies which potential monetary success were tentative. This movie is quite difficult to clearly categorize; it depends on the state of mind you're in at the time. I define it as a blend of dark and witty comedy with an expected but discrete drama fusion. The dialogue, mostly, captured my attention; of course, the performance by Ben Kingsley met my expectations. Téa Leoni, who's every single performance of the past twenty years I liked, again, did not fail to please and entertain me; she's a professional other actors have remarked look forward to team up with. The story is simple, straightforward, has many expected moments, not to use the term predictable which nuance I purposefully like to point out; sometimes simplicity allows good actors to shine because they make details count. Denis Farina plays an Irish gangster; he usually excels at half that role, the gangster part, and I was okay with that. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    With an eclectic mix of strong-minded thesps all pulling in slightly different directions, this shape-shifting genre hybrid successfully commingles 12-step therapy, romantic comedy and hit-man thriller.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    The past decade has been less kind to Dahl, and though his latest, called You Kill Me, has the outward appearance of a return to form, it may in fact be the worst thing he's ever done--an inert, tone-deaf mélange of "The Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under."
  3. Inert dud of a hitmen-are-people-too comedy.