6.8

1. Sep 13, 2014
    Summary: You're Next is a terrific slasher film, filled with lots of unpredictable twists and extreme violence. 93/100 [A-]

When a gang of masked, ax-wielding murderers descend upon the Davison family reunion, the hapless victims seem trapped, until an unlikely guest of the family proves to be the most talented killer of all. This is the first film i saw in 2014, i wanted to see it at
    the theater but i couldn't; So, anyway it was awesome, refreshing, original and bloody. You're Next is directed by Adam Wingard, this guy directed my favorite segment of VHS: 2 called "Phase I Clinical Trials". The point here is that my expectations were very high, and surprisingly... You're Next exceeded these high expectations. The opening scene is suspenseful, enjoyable and short. This first act has some character development, characters introducing between each other, etc. It is a little bit too slow here, but there's some good screenplay and it's never boring at all.

These characters are interesting, all of them have different personality, the whole family is dysfunctional and it's hilarious to see their fights and arguments. The film keeps the suspense during the first act, and it provides here a fake scare, very predictable for me actually. Moving on, after the introduction of all these characters, the next scene is unforgettable. The dinner scene is hilarious, well scripted and intense, the good acting helps a lot, making this scene just as i already said, unforgettable. After this scene begins the violent, fast-paced, exciting, sad, unpredictable and twisty second act. When the violence starts, it's very hard to watch, this whole sequence after the dinner is explosive, unnerving, and cleverly directed. The reaction of these characters is so believable, all the pain and suffering feels so real, again, quite sad.

The third act is filled with a bunch of plot and character twists, don't worry i won't spoil it. Constantly during the film you can hear a song called "Looking for the magic" from Dwight Twilley, for some strange reason this song matches perfectly with the film. The last 15 minutes of the film are extremely violent and there are here some twists, even though the whole film is violent and bloody, the last 15 minutes are the most crude, lots of craziness and lots of blood. The film has some creepy elements of the horror genre, like darkness, a woody and noisy floor, jump-scares, etc. The camera work is well done, making the action sequences even more exciting. The screenplay is always consistent, the whole film itself is very entertaining.

The characterization is original and each character is different and well developed. The only negative issue is that most of the jump-scares are predictable and unnecessary but the plot twists are unpredictable and shocking. Lots of memorable moments, lots of fun and lots of guts. The cast and the acting are perfect, all the performers were good and believable, Erin (Sharni Vinson) the main character is badass and her past is well explained, there's a smart reason for all her violent behavior during the film. Wingard direction is memorable, "You're Next" is a quality horror film that finally gets a release after two years of waiting. [A-] Check out my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter: @MemoBosque
  2. Jan 28, 2014
    Good film - the story was very tightly told, great pacing, great acting, outstanding action, and the cinematography was awesome. On top of all that, I love how the filmmakers turned the home invasion sub-genre completely upside down. This is the type of film that The Purge wanted so hard to be. In fact, this is the type of film that so many films want to be like. In short, this film is amazing. I watched it twice, something that I rarely do with movies. Expand
  3. Jan 17, 2014
    This was so well done. It has dark comedy and incredibly violent death scenes that leave you thinking "that couldn't have been better", and those masks are just as disturbing as they are funny. They didn't bother with the likes of Jason Voorhess or Michael Myers. These killers are entirely killable! So you get that same vengeance theme shared by Last House on the Left and I Spit On Your Grave, however, NO RAPE SCENES! This was great fun to watch and I recommend it to any fan of the genre. Expand
  4. Jan 16, 2014
    not only was it **** up, but it was **** up in a smart, and often funny way. Its well filmed, the actors are believable and the twist 's are not as predictable as I thought they would be. Its all very well done. Even the gore effects are top notch.
    Bottom line I think You're Next is an A film. And a big delight to most horror fans.
  5. Jan 8, 2014
    Finally a horror thriller full of blood, suspense, humor and action! the cinematography it's perfect is not the same cliche when the killers are mysterious and only show his face at the end and never are the victims! and Sharni Vinson was perfect.
  6. Sep 26, 2013
    I loved this movie it was very good and such a badass movie the acting is decent but Sharni Vinson was very good and it's really fun and it's entertaing I certainly enjoyed it
  7. Sep 5, 2013
    Loved it! It's exciting, gory, funny, and sometimes scary. If you're expecting a straight up horror film, You're Next is not that. This a dark comedy/horror. Yes, the acting isn't perfect, but it's not terrible either. What it lacks in the acting department it makes up for with fun, bloody mayhem.
  8. Sep 4, 2013
    Home invasion stories have played a pivotal role in the progression of horror films for quite some time now. However, home invasion films don't necessarily have to be pure horror movies. Some just want to entertain, more than scare. Adam Wingard's latest horror-thriller film”You're Next” wants to do just that.

If you're not familiar with “You're Next”, let me just start off by saying
    that this film is actually a two year-old and independently made film, that first premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2011 and had since rose to critical acclaim, with many critics mentioning the films refreshing tone in the horror genre. After the film festival, the rights were suddenly purchased by Lionsgate and the film was, mysteriously, shelved for two years. I'm going to mention that “You're Next” is more of a thriller than it is a horror movie. (It just has some horror aspects to it) So if you're going into this only expecting to be scared, then don't bother with this film. Go watch “The Conjuring” instead if you haven't seen that already. Now, on to the review:

PLOT: The plot for “You're Next” is fairly simple, but it's more interesting that you'd expect. Even if the film first seems like your average run-of-the-mill horror film. This is how the story goes:

“When a gang of masked, ax-wielding murderers descend upon the Davidson family reunion, the hapless victims seem trapped... until an unlikely guest of the family proves to be the most talented killer of all.”

So why is “You're Next” interesting? Well, like the synopsis says, things switch gears once everything starts happening, as that certain unlikely guest shows her “talents” from get-go. And I will say, that twist was truly unexpected! That one twist alone is what makes this film so unique and refreshing compared to your everyday run-of-the-mill horror film. In other horror films, there may have been leading ladies that have attempted to attack their killer, but they usually scream and run off after their first strike and end up not knowing what their going to do next. This certain lead, however, knows exactly what to do once the carnage ensues! And she wants these killers dead, and will stop at nothing until they are all dead! She sets traps, commences sneak attacks, and even fights the killers head-on! This certain character may very well be the best female lead yet, and unlike many other female leads in other countless horror films, we are truly invested in her survival!

There are some other neat aspects to the plot of “You're Next” than just it's fantastic leading lady though. I think it's cool that the killers are humanized instead of just being our same-old mindless, killing machines without personality like we've seen a hundred times before! These killers also have a real motive for attacking this certain family. The killers are smart too, as they employ many cool strategies in order to kill their victims as fast as possible, like using trip wires and a cell phone jammer! (Though they did forget to count on one thing... our leading lady!)

Even with some predictable plot twists, the story of “You're Next” is still head-above-shoulders compared to many other films in it's genre!

ACTING: This is a low-budget film, so you can kind of expect the acting to be a little mediocre. And it is for the most part. The somewhat mediocre acting may ward off some viewers, although I, myself, forgive the acting, considering the fact that this film is low-budget and independently made. I mean, you can't expect to get great actors if your film is on a low budget and have no help from a studio.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: The cinematography is excellent, with many cool and creepy shots through-out! Cinematographer Andrew Palmero took a lot of time and effort into shooting this film, as he really shows us his talent behind the camera. The only downside to his work is that the camera is slightly unsteady at times. A minor problem, but it would have been nice if he could of maintained a little more self-control.

SCRIPT: The scriptwriting is absolutely brilliant! The dialogue is believable, the use of dark humor is effective and times in just right, and believe it not, this films does contain a lot of logic and reasoning. (With the exception of a couple scenes) It may not be apparent at first, but the logic is there.

EDITING: There's not much to be said about editing. The only thing that comes to mind is that it would have been nice if the film could pay more attention to a few scenes, but Adam did state in an interview that he couldn't focus too much on certain scenes since because the budget wasn't big enough. Well, gotta keep within the budget, I guess.

SOUNDTRACK: “You're Next” contains a cool 80's style electronic score that always times in at the right moment. The score fits the mood of the film, and to every situation that's going on! A truly great score, I thought.

CONCLUSION: “You're Next” is a film destined for cult-classic status, as it's surely a crowd-pleaser! It's one of those rare horror films that actually succeeds in what it's trying to do: to entertain! Adam Wingard never wanted to scare his audiences, he only wants to entertain! And he succeeds brilliantly!

So do yourself a favor, and go watch “You're Next”! If you love home-invasion films, and can forgive the films faults, I promise that you will not be dissapointed!
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    You're Next is a brilliant horror movie.It's smart, clever and stylish. It's a breath of fresh air among all the terrible slasher movies out there nowadays. It doesn't quite revolutionize the slasher genre, but it is definitely a strong comeback. Shari Vinson was magnificent as Erin. She is definitely one of the greatest horror movie leading ladies of all time. She was smart, fierce and an all around bad-ass. The other characters are pretty shallow, spoiled and two dimensional but when you see this movie you'll understand how it's makes up for this little flaw. While the movie contained some jump scares, overall it wasn't scary, but that's pretty much standard for a slasher film. But what it lacks in scares it makes up tenfold in the gore department. This film is a roller coaster of carnage and it does so with finesse and panache and features one of the greatest horror movie deaths of all time. This film was getting major hype way before it premiered and by God, it delivers with intensity and ferocity that needs to be experienced way more than once. Collapse
  10. Aug 26, 2013
    The best horror movie so far this year, even better than Evil Dead. You're Next is a true return to form of the slasher movies that dominated 70s and 80s horror. The cast is very strong, particularly the connections of the family are very believable and adds to the tension. However, this movie doesn't try to force itself on being a horror-fest, the director clearly was having fun with this shoot. This movie is campy at the right moments just as it throws in the surprises and jump scares with nearly perfect timing. Although the home invasion premise of the movie something that we've seen a lot before in recent horror or thriller type movies, I cant think of a movie within the past several years that does it with even remotely the thrills that You're Next manages. I can see this one becoming a cult classic, probably something that we'll see Hollywood remake in about 25 years or so and hate the remake because it will miss the damn point. The twist in the final moments of the movie was well done, although predictable if you are a seasoned horror buff. Expand
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    No, the acting isn't incredible, but the movie is just FUN for a change. The Aussie lead is awesome, and there's a light-hearted feel to this film amidst the carnage that makes you feel good as you leave the theater. It's not ponderous.
  12. Aug 23, 2013
    This is a great movie, this movie have a new level of horror. Is not easy make a slasher film with something different, but this one make everything cool and interesting.
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    One of the better horror flicks I've seen in recent years. I've gotten so tired of these tepidly scary occult flicks like The Conjuring, The Haunting, and even the new Evil Dead. This is a good old fashioned horror thriller, with a nice mix of extreme gore, humor, excitement, irrationality (which morphs into plotty rationality), and some great cheesy/throwback horror music. The lead actress is fantastic. And I was pleasantly surprised to see Amy Seimetz in the cast. (She should be in every movie, huh?) Can't say much more without revealing the plot. Guaranteed, you will leave the theater with a certain song stuck in your head....At least that's all that will be stuck there. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Aug 28, 2013
    Wingard’s film is its own subset of fractious family crazy.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Aug 27, 2013
    A solid watch for gore fans.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Aug 26, 2013
    Maybe, in another time and place, and with different actors and a better director, it might have worked. But this thing collapses right from the get-go.