6.6

1. Aug 13, 2010
    Uneven film, but it's saved mostly for the cast. Michael Cera is the über-nerd of Hollywood and this movie knows how to use him. His deadpan is priceless.
  2. Aug 13, 2010
    Almost painfully unfunny, Youth in Revolt is just another step in the downward progression of Michael Cera. I like Cera, and will, at least for a while, continue to see his movies. Youth in Revolt, however, was not good. Cera was playing what is basically the only character he is ever asked to play, many of the people I was interested in seeing had disappointingly small roles (Zach Galifianakis, Fred Willard), and the plot was surprisingly dull. Portia Doubleday's character was painfully annoying, and I had absolutely no vesting interest in seeing what happened to any of the characters. In addition, there were a couple of distractingly out-of-place animated sequences that, albeit short, were nonetheless distracting. The only thing keeping this from being worse than a 3/10 is the fact that I've seen movies that weren't just bad, but flagrantly offensive to my sensibilities. Youth in Revolt was merely bad. Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2011
    In what is becoming a type-cast role for Michael Cera as the soft-spoken, horny teen, Youth in Revolt continues to allow Michael to successfully stay employed in said type-cast role. While his agent may want to spread out his role flexibility a bit, Michael shows he's perfected it with intellectual, social retard, Nick Twisp. His humorous courtship of Sheeni Saunders via the rebellious Francois is adorable and just sweet enough to root for. Surrounded by a surprising cast, including Steve Buscemi, Jean Smart, Ray Liotta, Fred Willard, Justin Long and Zach Galifianakis, this ensemble lends a very strong comedic foundation to the dark story. Expand
  4. Mar 13, 2011

Don't go running away after seeing Micheal Cera's face. I know that loads of people for whatever reason dislike him, but I'll throw this out here. Note that I love Micheal Cera. I think he's a great actor, and while he may only play one type of character, plenty other actors do the same with no one criticizing them.

With
    that out of the way I'll get to the movie. I think this is probably the best Micheal Cera movie where he's in the lead role, I mean he's essentially playing two characters! One, his typical self, and the other his anti self. Story wise I thought this was great. Guy wants to get girl so he changes himself...to the extreme. Very funny but also smart humor. Not the dumb humor Superbad was riddled with (not saying that's a bad thing). I also feel this movie was took a simple concept (stated earlier) and made it incredible unique and very well done.

If you like Micheal Cera, definitely go see this if. If not...I still say go see it as he may surprise you.
  5. Oct 12, 2010
    Youth in Revolt is a clever and witty film, the only problem for me was the portrayal of the alter ego/split personality when he was trying to win the girl its not a bad way to do it but its not the best either. Overall a good film
  6. May 21, 2011
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah funny and good at the same time. Michael Cera is pretty good for playing nerds. i enjoyed this movie a lot. 7 out of 10. good movie.
  7. Aug 18, 2011
    This movie is really good, its funny, witty and has a original story. This movie is also based on a Novel of the same name. The acting is pretty good Michael Cera Is AMAZING! He plays himself a shy teenager like in most movies, and he also plays Francois Dillinger his alter-ego a bad ass mafia troublemaker dude who smokes alot. and MAn he nails it! this movie is nice, its a good teen movie, has some awkward scenes but really enjoyed it. GO CHECK IT OUT! Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2011
    Im tire of stupid comedy, stupid jokes and unreal situations when anithing happens and everything ends on a stupid way, i give it 3/10 because this movie is just stuip
  9. Jun 3, 2012
    God I hate this movie so much, Cera sucks! Even with the cast that features Steve Bucemi, Zach Galifinakis,Fred Willard and Ray Lolita, it still sucked! the plot was terrible, the jokes were not funny, I just wanted to shoot myself throughout the entire thing. I watched all of it to see if something good happened but NOTHING! Do yourself a favour and watch a GOOD Michael Cera movie like Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. but don't watch this Expand
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    Youth In Revolt is the sort of film that perhaps asks too much of the viewer, there is different things going on around the central character of Nick Twisp, played by Michael Cera, who we finally see a glimpse of a different sort of character. There are different things going on and plenty of characters to maybe forget, but Youth In Revolt is careful not too mimic other split personality films, and for that, it does it brilliantly.
    Nick goes along to a family 'vacation', which is actually his mother and her boyfriend evading a few sailors who her boyfriend, Jerry, who is played by Zach Galifianakis (who doesn't get nearly enough screen time) sold a dodgy car to. At their retreat, he meets the free spirited Sheeni Saunders, (Porta Doubledaywho, and in typical Cera fashion, he falls in love, with the girl, but this time the plot is a little different.
    When he is forced to move back to Oakland, Nick decides to create an alter-ego, Francois Dillinger, who is everything Nick cannot be, smooth, sexy, crude, and downright badass. Heard it before, well what is striking about this take on an alter-ego is Nicks awareness of Francois being there, and embracing him, its quite the unique comedy element that is perfect for the film, building Nick's confidence,while still letting him enjoy the finer things in life.
    The limited screen time of Justin Long was just unnecessary, he brought very little to his part but I suppose he can't be blamed, this really is where the plot went on a downward spiral, it was just messy, muddled with not very much happening in terms of a plot and character development.
    Youth in Revolt isn't a bad film, but it fails in terms of driving and delivering a sound story, it loses its way on too many occasions and introduces an array of characters who are unnecessary and wasted, Justin Long, Zach Galifianakis, Ray Liotta and the talented Steve Buscemi in particular, a powerful cast, but with very little to do.
    Michael Cera does excel in his role and it was good to see a more confident role for him, but it is a case of being too comfortable in the same persona, and I would welcome a change of pace.
    Its has its moments, but this film needed to deliver its story with a more progressive attitude, rather than stray on vital moments.
  11. Feb 23, 2013
    Michael Cera has to be the gayest man in America. He is so awkward in these romantic comedies, that he actually comes across as loveable. It is by shear talent that he thrives in these types of movies and that they become as good as they are. In order to be with his new girlfriend, Nick Twisp (Cera), needs to get kicked out of his house. Through a hidden persona he didn't know he had, he gets his wish, and that's when the adventure really begins. This movie makes up for a story that's been done, by throwing everything they've got at you. There are a ton of cameos, one liners, strange twists, mushrooms, and even some animation. Romantic comedies, definitely not my thing, but Youth In Revolt is something different. The writer really goes out of his way to make his simple story and his ordinary character something special. It actually turned out to be a pretty entertaining movie. Expand
  12. Jan 20, 2013
    A very funny movie. It's more smartly written than most teen comedies and has a unique tone. It gets too dirty at times though, and is rightly rated R. I also think it should have been longer. It's a good comedy if you're old enough to watch it though, and I think it's pretty memorable.
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    A fairly enjoyable movie that is worth a watch on Netflix but not a full purchase by any means. Michael Cera is great in the role and provides some laughs with his two personas. The rest of the characters all feel unlikable and mean spirited however. The movie has a few stand out memorable moments eclipsed by some unfunny gags.
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    Maybe it's because Nick Twisp reminds me a little of myself... Michael Cera plays another awkward role (which he always does well) as a teenager who struggles without seeing his true love. Youth In Revolt is smart, sophisticated and charming reminding me of similar movies such as Adventureland and Easy A. It's not a laugh out loud comedy but it does deliver a warming, relatable character in the split personality of Nick Twisp. Even when he's causing trouble, you feel like rooting for Cera. When he's not, you almost feel the frustration his character is going through. Expand
  15. Dec 11, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, tuvo drama y romance."Youth in Revolt" es diferente a las otras peliculas de romance adolescente, porque esta tuvo mas imaginacion y mas drama.Me gusto la actuacion de Michael Cera.

1. The collision of adolescent hormones and parental folly, hardly new cinematic territory, gets a bracing absurdist slant in Youth in Revolt.
  2. It’s a kick to see Cera cut loose from his patented befuddled-nerd routine, even if the film’s caricatured performances and fish-in-a-barrel scorn are sure to be monotonous for some.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Cera and his gifted comic co-stars elevate the mediocre source material into a semi-iconic coming-of-age story.