Tribeca Film | Release Date: October 11, 2013
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 14 Ratings
WATCH NOW
CorbeauNoirOct 12, 2013
Watched as part of the Calgary International Film Festival. Plenty of cringe humor and exposes hipsters for the pop-culture vampires they are for good measure.
rjmacreadyJul 25, 2014
I'm normally prone to writing rather loooong reviews, but I'll do my best to keep this one nice and simple. I have been, on-and-off, a roleplayer AND gamemaster myself throughout my 40 years on this plane of existence, and to say that thisI'm normally prone to writing rather loooong reviews, but I'll do my best to keep this one nice and simple. I have been, on-and-off, a roleplayer AND gamemaster myself throughout my 40 years on this plane of existence, and to say that this film is one of the most well-observed and accurate portrayals of not only "gamers", but indeed anyone of a decidedly "obsessive" nature, is quite an understatement. What starts out as an only slightly darker version of The Big Bang Theory gradually, inexorably transforms into full-blown black comedy and, by its conclusion, just flat-out poignant drama. More and more, I found myself watching certain scenes unfold through the gaps of my fingers whilst muttering words such as "Oh no, dude, oh Lord no, DON'T..." Make no mistake, it's THAT uncomfortable at times.

It probably helps that, yes, I do know a lot of people who are "just like" the characters in the film - and can indeed see a certain amount of both myself and a number of my friends in our hapless, doomed-by-his-own-design lead character, Scott - but it's such a perfectly-crafted film that honestly, anyone and everyone should be able to see a bit of themselves and everyone they've ever known in it. In short, it's just a flat-out great film about human nature. Would I also give such a sterling review to a film about, say, a bunch of teenage netballers, in spite of said film being equally successful in its aims as this one? Possibly not. But we all have our biases. And besides, the main reason I'm writing this review at 4.30 am when I should be going to bed (I have roleplay tomorrow afternoon), is to try to rectify the criminally low Metascore this film has garnered thus far.

My work here is done. Oh, and look, I ended up writing a semi-long review in spite of my initial intentions. The hell with it. This film is WORTH it, and well worthy of your time, irrespective of whether you'd ever be inclined to waste countless hours of your life rolling dice and battling imaginary monsters.