8.0

1. Jul 12, 2014
    An interesting premise leads to some decent, though shallow situations, which lead to a pretty formulaic ending that feels like a TV movie, and many loose ends are left unsatisfied.

I couldn't tell if I was watching a satirical poke at zombie movies or a rather mediocre serious take on zombie movies. It seemed like it couldn't make up its mind. It also seemed like it didn't know if it
    was aiming for adult audiences or college age audiences. It sort of hovers in the middle, afraid to offend either party

These characters are as paper-thin as they come. Having all jumped from the pages of the conglomerated codex of all zombie movies put together, they feel no need to explain their motivations, since it clearly knows you've seen this shlock a hundred times before. Some half-hearted attempts are made at backstory, but they are mostly of the 'tell and don't show' variety

Bill Murray makes a rather odd appearance, and it just felt like it was saying "We're cultured, we appreciate Bill Murray." Just like many a college student, the movie can't help itself from trying to get your attention and adoration, stroking its own ego at the expense of being a good movie. Would not see again, would not recommend
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Zombieland is a very funny horror comedy similar to Shaun Of The Dead. The movie is America's version
    of Shaun Of The Dead basically. The cast is fabulous in their roles and the movie never hits a dull or
    uneven moment. Definitely one of the best horror comedies in years.
  3. Apr 20, 2014
    Columbus (Eisenberg) is trying to return to his home town amongst a zombie apocalypse when he runs into Tallahassee (a superbly deadpan Harrelson) and thus begins a cross country trek that see’s the pair, amongst other things, meeting up with a pair of grifters and visiting the home of Bill Murray.

The pairing of Eisenberg and Harrelson is a great one and there is enough humour and gore
    to satisfy both horror and comedy fans. In terms of tone the closest comparison would certainly be Shaun of the Dead and, whist it perhaps can’t quite match the cult classic, it makes for a thoroughly entertaining watch throughout. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2014
    Zombieland is the perfect mix of comedy, horror, and zombie gore put together to be a film. The Acting is top notch and the effects are even better. Not to mention the plots originality is amazing. Great film, two thumbs up.
  5. Feb 10, 2014
    If you like Shaun of the Dead then you'll love Zombieland. It is the best zombie-film yet and as well as being filled with horror, gore and action it is also filled with comedy.
    One great thing about the film which really stands out is the writers choice of characters. For example the main charcter, Columbus, (Jesse Eisenberg) is a very good charcter because he's scared of loads of things
    like the rags people use to clean tables. These silly fears that Columbus has make him seem weak and keep the viewer wondering if he'll survive Zombieland. Little Rock (Abigail Breslin) and Wichita (Emma Stone) are also great characters who keep you interested because they're not very trustworthy, which makes you wonder which is harder for the last survivors of Zombieland to trust eachother or for them to survive the flesh-eating zombies?
    The film also shows you the personality of these charcters in a very unique and entertaining way. It shows the personality of Columbus in a funny and action-packed scene which ends with him being chased by a zombie. This chase scene is not only action-packed but also funny and very gory. The film also shows the personality of Little Rock and Wichita in a very unique and funny way which tells us what they used to do before the world got taken over by zombies. This scene is funny but there is no action or gore in it which the viewer might be expecting after they've seen the gory way Columbus' personlity was introduced. So this scene is funny but it can leave the viewer feeling unsatisifed.
    The film's plot is also quite simple which stops the viewer from feeling confused and lost. The plot is that the world has been taken over by zombies and Columbus is one of the last survivors. Soon Columbus finds Tallahasse (Woody Harrelson) who is also a great character because he is seen as a man who is hell-bent on killing zombies and also has a big weakness. Together they find Little Rock and Wichita just after an exhilirating fight scene between Tallhasse, Columbus and three hungry zombies, who are trying to get to a place which is rumoured to have no zombies in it.
    But one bad bit of the film is shortly after the scene where the gang decide to live in Bill Murray's house. After this scene the film gets very slow and starts to lack action. Although during these scenes the film does try to keep the viewer entertained by throwing in a few funny jokes.
    On the other hand the end scenes of the film more than make up for this boring mistake. During these last scenes the viewer is kept on the edge of their seat by the thrilling chase scenes which are made even better by the magnificent special effects. These scenes re-emphasise how dangerous Zombieland is and leave you wondering if the four will survive.
    I would give this film 9/10 and I defintely would recommend it to fans of Shaun of the Dead and other horror/comedy films.
  6. Jan 17, 2014
    Well, this movie is just okay. I mean it's nothing more besides good actors/convincing characters, but the length is too short to expose them or to tell a good story. So there is no actual plot and nothing interesting happens. | found out that this movie was made out of a pilot episode for the TV series, that's how it really feels.
  7. Aug 31, 2013
    It was very good. Very scary and funny too. I love zombie films. That's why, before I see it, I was sure that I would like it. Bravo!!! Very Good!!! I am waiting like crazy for the second chapter.
  8. Jun 19, 2013
    As you might expect for this genre, it's quite gory, so don't go expecting a light 'R' rating. But if you can handle some bloodshed, no, make that a substantial amount of bloodshed but perhaps I should add in a comic environment there's some pretty funny stuff here. Woody Harreleson and Jesse Eisenberg make an amusing odd couple and Emma Stone was fine for this material, although she and Abigale Breslin had slightly less to do. Expand
  9. Apr 7, 2013
    A solid comedy blended nicely with Horror to make one heck of a film! I've seen it quite a few times now but it never gets old and it is thoroughly entertaining despite only really featuring four characters, all whom do a great job. There is enough clever comedy in there to keep you laughing, as well as watching out for the zombies ready to give you a good jump! It won't be a film for everyone, but I think it's one that most would find it hard not to enjoy! Expand
  10. Mar 31, 2013
    Finally something has come along to rival the brilliance of Shaun of the Dead. Zombieland stars Jesse Eisenberg, Wood Harrelson, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin as they embark on finding a safe zone away from their post-apocalyptic nightmare, but all the trouble isn't necessarily from the undead.
    Eisenberg narrates an ingenious script, outlining different ways to stay alive, such cardio,
    in other words out-running the undead, all these 'rules' run throughout the film and are simply hilarious, another being to enjoy the little things of there no longer being any rules on earth.
    Each character is never properly named in the film, instead being named after where they are from or going to, Eisenberg is Columbus, who runs into Tallahassee (Harrelson), a larger than life man who appears to have been anticipating such an occurrence, he is longing for a Twinkie, and will not stop bashing the heads of obese zombies until he finds one.
    They run into Wichita (Stone) and Little Rock (Breslin) who are con artists, and quite good at it. They manage to steal the two mens truck, but it is short lived and they all end up embarking on a journey to Pacific Playland in LA, allegedly free of zombies.
    Zombieland combines all the apocalyptic elements of a zombie film but sweetens the film with excellent comedy and wonderfully timed acting.
    Harrelson is brilliant as Tallahassee who is endlessly searching for the one Twinkie, but he also holds a different secret that is torturing him inside. The only performance to rival is brilliant and comedic turn was that of Bill Murray, who has an out of this world cameo as himself, it is just laughter perfection.
    It raises the barrier and takes away the doom and gloom for a while and almost seems to fulfil a bucket list type film that shows what people would like to think they would do when the world was plunged into chaos, wreck shops, steal cars etc.
    The film doesn't change anything in regards to the genre itself, but its brings forward a ver welcome attempt to humorously describe how different people may react to such an occurrence.
    Definitely one of the standout comedies in a while, one that has the heart and soul of characters but with a very surreal genre of how this development comes around, and of course a wonderfully funny Bill Murray cameo.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    The uninteresting plot caused the film to be boring and lame, although Woody Harrelson and Emma Stone helped enhance the quality. The special effects makeup was very realistic.
  12. Mar 10, 2013
    All it takes is a few simple rules to survive Zombieland, the world that has been left behind after a deadly virus turns most of the population in to flesh-eating monsters. At least that is how Columbus has managed to stay alive up until he teams with Tallahassee on the road home to find his parents. The two are taken hostage by a pair of crafty sisters along the way, who convince them to travel together to the Pacific Playland amusement park in Los Angeles, which is supposed to be a safe haven from zombies. Needless to say, they are in for a bumpy ride! What is perhaps the most irritating thing about ZOMBIELAND besides the annoying characters and directionless plot is the fact that there are hardly any zombies in it to begin with. Why travel cross-country on the chance that some mythical amusement park might be zombie-free when the group only encounters a few zombies in the first place? The survival rules would have been much funnier if they had not already been used years before in Max Brook's infinitely superior Zombie Survival Guide. Jesse Eisenberg proves that he is the poor man's Michael Cera by offering up another wimpy performance with worse comedic timing than ever. Emma Stone is just as bad, and can't be taken seriously in her role. Thankfully, Woody Harrelson comes along to provide us with some temporary relief as the Twinkie-starved Tallahassee, who takes a great deal of pleasure in dispensing pain. The climactic battle at Pacific Playland is short-lived, and hardly worth the wait when the excitement of fighting zombies at an amusement park is squandered on a few measly rides. With the exception of the film's one notable cameo, ZOMBIELAND is a laughless comedy with hardly any horror that is not nearly as clever or witty as it is commonly made out to be. -Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  13. Feb 24, 2013
    Hilarious and violent...sounds silly, but Zombieland isn't. It's the perfect combination of both; it's a film well-done. Perfect cast of Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin, and of course the always humorous Bill Murray. Well written. Awesome action and violence. Great humor. A seriously great film! One of the best comedies of 2009.
  14. Dec 28, 2012
    As gory as "Dawn of the Dead" and (almost) as funny as "Ghostbusters", this is satisfying, fairly low-stakes comedy that you lets relax, laugh and have a good time killing zombies.
  15. Dec 21, 2012
    The team up was great...
    One of my favorite movies of all time. (Yeah, I'm a pretty shallow person for putting that to a very great list but,,, so what??? Haha.. Emma - great & cute
    The young girl (I forgot her name) - great
    Jesse - good
    Woody - Twinkies!!! He gave Hostess justice. Haha :D
  16. Dec 18, 2012
    Double hitting head smashing comedy
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    Utilizing a killer blend of exceptional humor and eye-catching violence, "Zombieland" is an immaculate modern comedy featuring some utterly lovable characters.
  18. Nov 23, 2012
    In my opinion this is the perfect film. There is comedy, action, sadness, romance and bromance all rapped up with a well acted believable cast with a well thought out plot to entertain anyone that isn't a complete idiot. I understand that everyone's taste in films is different but anyone who puts rates this film any less than a 7/10 clearly has some personal issues with something associated with the film and needs to be ignored because the film itself has very few flaws. I'm not going to list flaws because if I do you will just spend the whole film looking for them and you won't be able to enjoy it properly. I'm not usually one for watching films more than once or twice unless they are very good but I've watched this one at least a dozen times which shows that this is truly the most entertaining film you will see for a long time. Expand
  19. Sep 1, 2012
    This is a twisted comedy that just lets loose and has one laugh after the other. Killing zombies looks like so much fun. Wish I could get in on the action. Great cast!
  20. Aug 25, 2012
    A phenomenal film which belongs in the same league as Shaun of the Dead when comparing horror/comedies. Woody Harrelson was fantastic as was Jessie Eissenberg. They complement each other very well and obviously are juxtaposed to Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin. I thought that the pacing as well as the emotional arc suffered by a few of the characters really suited the film. This will surely become an all-time classic. Expand
  21. Aug 18, 2012
    A great zombie movie, who knows comedy and horror merge in the right dose, no words to describe, everything fits perfectly in this film, you want excitement? watch this movie, you want comedy? watch this movie, you want to terror? watch this movie!
  22. Jul 17, 2012
    To be honest I loved this movie and I think the main reason for this is the cast. I didn't even recognise Woody Harrelson at first but his character was so cool and funny. Jesse Eisenberg reminded me of Jonah Hill playing the typical geeky guy who is hopeless with girls, but I'm glad to see someone else in this role because Jonah Hill has played this kind of character too many times. Also the two sisters in Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin were devious and brilliant, it was nice to see the star from Little Miss Sunshine in a much more grown up role and Emma Stone was just gorgeous as usual. I especially liked the way the rules dropped down throughout the film and the plot was decent, however it seemed to lose pace in the middle of the film. I would love to see a sequel with a bigger budget and more zombies. Definitely my favourite Zombie comedy film to date. 8/10 Expand
  23. Jul 16, 2012
    If this was supposed to a zombie comedy, I wasn't sure which I saw most of. There were some awesome jokes, but I felt they became a little too few and far between. I also think the pacing was also a little uneven, because considering it was barely an hour and a half it was a little slow at first and then sped up. I preferred the characters and more or less the ending as that's when it had a little more depth. The rules made up by Columbus were pretty awesome though - and pretty useful when a real zombie apocalypse happens. Expand
  24. Jun 9, 2012
    I love the idea of the movie, it is definitely aimed for teenagers and that's what I am. This is the best zombie comedy out there (I don't take this as a horror movie) with it's stereotypical faces and outstanding storytelling (I fell in love with the style).

I didn't wait this movie to be so good when I first time saw it, actually I was shocked about how good it was, I'm an old school
    zombie movie fan, I mostly watch Romero's movies, but when you have watched them, there's no helping it. And another plus is the rewatching bonus it gives, this is a movie you can watch alone, with friends or even with family, and it does always give good laughs. Expand
  25. Jun 1, 2012
    More Funny Than Scary!
    Still A Really Good Movie!
  26. May 28, 2012
    this movie was awsomely funny it deliverd in every way possible. im glad i payed to see this movie. it had action, comedy, and cutegirls how could any other movie be this good.... beside the Scream Franchise
  27. May 26, 2012
    This mashup of scary, action, and comedy has rarely worked better, and theres a bit of a heart here as well.
  28. Apr 12, 2012
    With Zombieland's incredible cast, and its cool, visual style, and Zombieland managing to be funny, scary, and a great action movie. Zombieland brought life back to the Zombie genre. I give this movie 96%.
  29. Mar 25, 2012
    A sick and stupid film. Zombieland tries to be funny but just comes across as a stupid movie with lots of gore. Nothing different then any other zombie movie except this one tries to be funny. What a shame.

1. Falling closer in tone to "Shaun of the Dead" than "28 Days Later" or the George Romero movies, Zombieland has its tongue planted firmly in its rancid cheek while still delivering the visceral goodies.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Benefiting from the very different but very appealing comedy styles of Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg even when the script's wit runs thin, this should be catnip to jaded genre fans.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Fitfully amusing romp directed with little ambition and even less distinction by first-timer Ruben Fleischer.