() - Sigur Rós
9.1

Review this album

1. Jun 30, 2013
    I have experienced a set of four Sigur Ros albums in what I would describe as "seasonal". Their most popular album, the previous "Aqaetus Byrjun" felt like Fall. Plenty of emotion and beauty but a sense of heading further into the dark, sparse, and a place void of the light beyond the tunnel.

Here we have which is just as beautiful but its cold and the saddest album Sigur Ros has
    made to date. And it feels like winter. Even the loud extremes are at a slower plodding 4/4 pace (exception being the last 4 minutes of the album). The arrangements feel like a funeral, and for me, evoke feelings and reflection on things where hope is lost, stuff is gone, and dead linger.

In no way are these themes depressing in the music on It invites the listener to play with the uncomfortable; to work with uneasy and that which is difficult.

Track 4 and 8 are indescribably wonderful

All the rest is fantastic too

Track 7 is really the only time where you might feel like checking your watch as it does drag

With "Takk", the album which follows things get lighter and hopeful much like Spring

A later album, "Endalaust" brings on the cheer and the bright a la Summer in full swing

All four are completely beautiful works of art.

One of the most unique bands I have ever had the pleasure of listening to
  2. Mar 17, 2012
    For die-hard fans of Radiohead's "Kid A" and Björk's "Vespertine" albums, this LP sums up all your hopes and dreams. Every track visually depicts the life of diverse humanity and internal thought. Every sound speaks of the dark and light that will make way and seep through your thoughts. Vast, epic, ethereal, compelling, challenging, original, artistic, wordless, innovative, and forward-thinking, the band will leave you in awe and expect some sort of change to your life. Expand
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    Normally I'm not the type of guy for such short reviews, but this album is simply EPIC.

1. An overblown, overhyped dreamy swirl of sound that can't commit itself to being anything.
  2. A decent follow-up from a band who has already proven themselves capable of much, much more.
    Charming and enrapturing, adrift in its own unique, invented world. [#11, p.142]