8.2

Review this album

1. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Following in the steps of Lateralus helps this record from being just average. It feels like Maynard's lyrics are slipping a bit here, but the music is metal heaven.
  2. Jun 15, 2012
    First two songs are good, there are a couple i can bearly hear, and the rest are ordinary. they all have great bits in them, but on a whole, ordinary. this from a bloke who loved lateralus and reckons anema(Spelling?) is the best album ever.
  3. Jan 20, 2012
    Best Tool album, no. Better than most of the music out there, yes. I love seeing Tool compared to Franz Ferdinand and Arcade Fire. If you want to hear Franz Ferdinand, don't put in a Tool CD. Tool CDs tend to sound like Tool. And Tool fans are morons. How many Tool fans waste their time rating and commenting on an album they never heard from a band they don't like. You are much more intelligent than a Tool fan. Mental Midgets. Expand
  4. Jan 13, 2014
    This is one of my favorite all-time albums and I'm a little surprised to see people just kind of brush it off and say it's not as good as some of the older Tool albums. Something I'd like to point out, is that at the time, I had never heard a full Tool album before, and so I didn't have that standard that many Tool fans seem to have. And hearing it as nothing but an album from a band I had never listened to, I must say it is simply a masterpiece. In fact after listening to this album first and the older ones after, I tend to favour 10 000 Days more, a lot more in fact. Expand
  5. Apr 4, 2013
    Tool is in my opinion one of the finest rock/metal bands ever, Tool manages with 10,000 Days to blend hard rock with extremely symphonic melodies to such a degree that my 80 year old grandfather actually liked them. If you like metal, rock, punk, classical, pop, or any kind of music you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't listen to Tool.
  6. Apr 10, 2013
    That fact that an album like this can sell over half a million copies in its open week in the US is almost astonishing in 2012. Its not their best, but its got plenty of highlights, and like most of their output, has a way of growing on you to an almost uncomfortable degree.
  7. Jun 25, 2013
    I give this album a 6 (I think Metacritic should count this score as yellow mixed so placed it as a 5 to register that way). I am quite new to Tool and have had the ability to listen to all the albums from a fresh perspective. This means i am not judging 10,000 days based upon any anticipation, pre- release expectations or based upon a nostalgic perspective from previous Tool records.

Overall, i think this is a good nearly great album. Without doubt, the amount of thought and integrity obviously included in the writing process stands out from many other mainstream bands today.

The album has a mix of many sounds from various cultures and genres, and from the first listen, it is clear that the band members are qualified musicians with a very competent technical ability.

The members of this band have obviously mastered their instruments (or writing) to such a professional level, that they are now comfortable exploring different styles and techniques which noticeably adds a depth and welcome variety to this album.

This artistic professionalism shines through at various points in the album and 10,000 days includes some of my favorite Tool songs. However, many of the songs on the album i just do not like. I appreciate the song's technical ability, depth and intelligence but for some reason, many songs on this album just do not appeal to my ear.

The exceptions are Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two. Those are standout tracks for me, but the rest of the album sounds a little contrived, while Keenan's melodies (although containing intelligent lyrics) just do not seem to appeal to me.

Finally, i also have to deduct some score for the overt filler in this album. Instead of making 10,000 a structured concept album, Tool have to use up album space with boring tracks such as 'Lost Keys (Blame Hofman)' to develop a concept that leads to Rosetta Stoned. Instead they could have made a more abstract approach and made a listenable song.

This happens more than once, and many tracks are only worth a listen once before the urge to skip them during a full album play becomes inevitable. Although this is nothing new for Tool as it also happens on their previous albums (however it is more apparent and annoying on 10,000 days).

Ultimately, this album stands above many others, in terms of artistic and technical ability and integrity. It has some great tracks and has a lot of character.

However, it also has a lot of apparently meaningless 'filler' that compromises repeated plays of the album inits entirety.

6/10 mixed

1. It's not only a step forward for the band, but a re-embracing of the epic-length rock songs found at the roots of early heavy metal.
  2. When Tool sounds as good as it does on ["Jambi" and "The Pot"] it's hard to get enough. Which makes it all the more baffling that a surprisingly large chunk of the disc is given over to mood-enhancing soundscapes like "Lost Keys" and "Vigniti Tres."
  3. Sounds exactly like you would expect a Tool album to sound.