• Record Label: Volcano
  • Release Date: May 2, 2006
8.2

Review this album

1. Jan 13, 2014
    This is one of my favorite all-time albums and I'm a little surprised to see people just kind of brush it off and say it's not as good as some of the older Tool albums. Something I'd like to point out, is that at the time, I had never heard a full Tool album before, and so I didn't have that standard that many Tool fans seem to have. And hearing it as nothing but an album from a band I hadThis is one of my favorite all-time albums and I'm a little surprised to see people just kind of brush it off and say it's not as good as some of the older Tool albums. Something I'd like to point out, is that at the time, I had never heard a full Tool album before, and so I didn't have that standard that many Tool fans seem to have. And hearing it as nothing but an album from a band I had never listened to, I must say it is simply a masterpiece. In fact after listening to this album first and the older ones after, I tend to favour 10 000 Days more, a lot more in fact. Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tool is in my opinion one of the finest rock/metal bands ever, Tool manages with 10,000 Days to blend hard rock with extremely symphonic melodies to such a degree that my 80 year old grandfather actually liked them. If you like metal, rock, punk, classical, pop, or any kind of music you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't listen to Tool.
  3. KcS
    Jun 27, 2009
    First off I would like to say to some, not all Tool fans are pot heads or 16 year olds, or those that know nothing. I am a University graduate, and most definately not a moron, so those with those comments can shove them wherever they please. I like this albulm but their older stuff is much better I agree to that, but not everyone who listens to Tool are potheads or drug addicts.
  4. Dogstarr
    Mar 19, 2009
    This one would deserve a 10 if only Lateralus and Aenima didn't exist, yet the critics seem to have given it fairly low scores. I guess you either appreciate the best heavy band since Zeppelin, or you don't quite get it. Oh well, if you like heavy rock at all, you have no real choice, you need to get it.
  5. Bryan
    May 3, 2008
    Great album, not as good as the earlier ones like lateralus or aenima but awesome.
  6. MattO
    May 1, 2008
    It's safe to say that most of these critics probably spend too much time judging the "quality" and "ability" of several genres; in doing so, I think they somewhat lose their perception on what is inspirational. Songs aren't meant to be a "ballad of the moment." Songs are supposed to move people, motivating them to become something more than themselves. If you ask me, the critics It's safe to say that most of these critics probably spend too much time judging the "quality" and "ability" of several genres; in doing so, I think they somewhat lose their perception on what is inspirational. Songs aren't meant to be a "ballad of the moment." Songs are supposed to move people, motivating them to become something more than themselves. If you ask me, the critics are all on pot, not the listeners. They are on something else entirely. One of my favorite albums of all time, and I've listened to far too many different genres, from Kenny Rogers' "First Edition" to "all the damn Li'l's in rap music today." Expand
  7. vocalius
    Mar 31, 2008
    The most amazing thing with this record is,that it's very(very) hard to mesmerize it. words are meaningless with band.
  8. ChrisL.
    Feb 17, 2008
    This album contains brilliance and genius of the highest order. I think it's the greatest album of the decade thus far and Tool is the only band I know that gets substantially better with each album.
  9. JinL.
    Feb 6, 2008
    Don't listen to critics. This album rates a full 10/10.
  10. ColinM
    Jan 18, 2008
    Awesome album...Maynard wrote some great lyrics for this album and of course the music is masterly put together. You cannot say enough about the talents of Danny Carey!!
  11. ScottH.
    Jan 11, 2008
    It may sound redundant at this point in Tool's "legendary" career, but the anticipation of their latest Album, 10,000 Days, was worth the five year wait since their last album of Lateralus in 2001. It's another musical masterpiece to add to the repertoire of sensational albums that the band has released for us all to experience. These guys clearly understand the importance of It may sound redundant at this point in Tool's "legendary" career, but the anticipation of their latest Album, 10,000 Days, was worth the five year wait since their last album of Lateralus in 2001. It's another musical masterpiece to add to the repertoire of sensational albums that the band has released for us all to experience. These guys clearly understand the importance of quality in the art of music vs. taking their audiences money to create snappy singles that get stuck in our mundane minds for a month or two only to re-appear on some game show ten years later in the "one hit wonders" category. 10,000 Days proves, once again, that Tool albums are meant to be experienced in their entirety for a lifetime. No matter what alternative music is doing at the present time of a Tool album releasing, they still rock harder and are more musically talented than any other band around hands down. They're done proving themselves at this point, so if you are a Tool fan, buy this album, sit back and enjoy the latest installment that is TOOL! If you've never owned a Tool album, but appreciate true artistry in music, buy all their albums, experience them, be blown away and never look at alternative music the same again! Expand
  12. BenL
    Apr 20, 2007
    This CD is so abstract and ideal. The music and lyrics flow perfectly. Vocals are obsolete. Amazing.
  13. BobbyMon
    Apr 9, 2007
    It's TOOL
  14. notanetgeekx
    Apr 6, 2007
    i love tool but u dorks have too much time on ur hands suck bon jovi's dick u fat lazy virgin , moms basement livin ,fat no life havin wish u had a stink fist to to smell . i say good day
  15. knucklesfumpa
    Apr 6, 2007
    aenima is more epic 10,000 days is more soulful
  16. JohnDoe
    Mar 31, 2007
    This is an amazing album once you listen through it a few times. What sets Tool head-and-shoulders above other mainstream bands is their use of dynamics and rhythm. Other bands craft 3-to-5 minute pop songs in which they play the same hook over and over again with the structure never varying. I personally enjoy the slower tracks like 10,000 Days and Right In Two. As bands grow older, This is an amazing album once you listen through it a few times. What sets Tool head-and-shoulders above other mainstream bands is their use of dynamics and rhythm. Other bands craft 3-to-5 minute pop songs in which they play the same hook over and over again with the structure never varying. I personally enjoy the slower tracks like 10,000 Days and Right In Two. As bands grow older, their songs seem to get mellower and less angsty and I think the same is happening to Tool (which is, in my opinion, for the better). It shows that they have changed and matured since AEnima and previous record, while still keeping their songs exciting and interesting. In my opinion, this is the best record Tool has released. Expand
  17. EddieC
    Mar 21, 2007
    Nothing but truth and great tunes.
  18. MattS
    Mar 21, 2007
    As many others have stated, this album REALLY grows on you. The songs that sound like crap at first grow on you, one by one. Everybody complains about the fillers, and at the same time say it wasn't as good as Aenima, which itself was only about 5 or 6 good songs with a lot of filler in between. Tool's debut album was 5 songs, followed by an album of all songs, followed by an As many others have stated, this album REALLY grows on you. The songs that sound like crap at first grow on you, one by one. Everybody complains about the fillers, and at the same time say it wasn't as good as Aenima, which itself was only about 5 or 6 good songs with a lot of filler in between. Tool's debut album was 5 songs, followed by an album of all songs, followed by an album of 5 or 6 good songs with fillers, followed by an album of all songs, followed by an album of 5 or 6 songs with fillers. Anyone see a pattern here? The fact is, this is an excellent ALBUM, in an age where almost all other commercial artists just churn out songs. Most musicians nowadays put out a complete album based on only one song, and hope to make money off of the download of that one song. Here, Tool once again has turned an idea into a complete ALBUM, and enhanced it with conceptual art, making it something actually worth purchasing and possessing. As for how the band has progressed; as a guitarist, every Tool album before this one I have been able to listen to a few times and pick up a guitar and play it. I thought I would be able to do that with this one, but I must admit, I've tried, and might have to consult the tabs on this one, just like I had to on 'Presence' and 'In Through the Out Door' by Zeppelin, other albums this has been compared to. Kudos to Tool and their great few songs. I'd rather wait 5 years for songs as good as these with fillers than wait 10 for a full album. Just thank God that we can push the skip button instead of having to fast forward and rewind. Looking forward to seeing it live. Maybe they'll take me back to how a rock concert's actually supposed to be. Expand
  19. KennyG
    Mar 16, 2007
    Superb album... not a definite improvement upon Lateralus but definitely not a step down in any way. Songs still epic and on caliber with Lateralus, the only flaw is the transitioning of the songs. Even though all the songs satisfied me there was a little bit too much filler and vigini tres and lipan conjuring could've left room for another awesome track.
  20. paulof
    Mar 14, 2007
    .....different, but they can always lunch the real substitute for lateralus....
  21. JuanA
    Mar 12, 2007
    It is an incredible disc!!!!!!!!
  22. BobbyNuggets
    Mar 5, 2007
    At first I was a little disappointed and did think it was a continuation of Lateralus. But, each time I listen to it I love it more and more. I originally became a Tool fan based solely on the music alone. This album made me start listening to the words and developing my own interpretation. Maynard has some sic thoughts and some that I can at least semi relate to. Overall this album is At first I was a little disappointed and did think it was a continuation of Lateralus. But, each time I listen to it I love it more and more. I originally became a Tool fan based solely on the music alone. This album made me start listening to the words and developing my own interpretation. Maynard has some sic thoughts and some that I can at least semi relate to. Overall this album is not an "on the fly" record where you just listen to it in your car on the way to walmart. this is an album you must take the time to listen to and let it take you in. Expand
  23. LouL
    Mar 2, 2007
    03/02/07 - I purchased the cd the day it came out and can not listen to anything else. This album and tour were done to perfection and I appreciate it. Few bands put forth the obvious hard work that it takes to create a masterpiece such as 10K Days. I have not been moved by an album in this manner since I discovered Pink Floyd Animals.
  24. ZachL
    Feb 5, 2007
    My favorite Tool album yet. The entire CD is chock full of engaging and thoughtful tracks, some mellow and some upbeat. It is, in my opinion, perfect.
  25. Pavers
    Jan 24, 2007
    This album really does kick ass. Tool have improved with each album.
  26. exdrasaaron
    Jan 16, 2007
    this is agrat disc, is the best
  27. coreys
    Jan 14, 2007
    one of tools best.from kick ass bass lines in The Pot all the way to the constantly changing epic that is Rosseta Stoned,then the thought provoking tracks that follow.
  28. ToolFanatic
    Jan 8, 2007
    My favorite CD of all time. Danny Carey is the best drummer of this generation. Maynard has one of the most recognizable voices, and when you put that with the distinct sound that Adam, Justin, and Danny bring, you get one of the greatest bands in the past 20 years
  29. JustinC
    Jan 5, 2007
    One of the best fucking albums ever, all you Tool haters just shut the hell up. I mean no shit your going to give the album a bad rating if you don't like the band. So just keep your mouth shut. Fuck!
  30. CameronD
    Jan 5, 2007
    One of the best Tool albums yet if not the best. Danny Carey is the best drummer of today. And when you collaberate that with Maynards singing ability, Adam Jones guitaring, and Justin's bass playing skill, you get the best album to come out in 2006!
  31. scott
    Dec 29, 2006
    Far beyond anything on the radio these days. Tool unlike many of todays bands do not play for the big bucks (which they do have) but they play for themselves and don't just follow the crowd. Tool is everything that Rock is meant to be and more. 10 out of 10
  32. KevinB
    Dec 18, 2006
    The best TOOL album ever. The band shows off their range of talent in this album. I don't mind if it takes them another five years to do the next one either. It'll be worth it.
  33. marke
    Dec 14, 2006
    one of the best, if not the best, tool albums. besides, what the hell else are you going to listen to?
  34. StephenT
    Dec 12, 2006
    One of these dudes actually compared Tool to Staind and Godsmack in his review. What a douche-bag.
  35. FraknM
    Dec 11, 2006
    This fabulous collection of work is the epitome of what other bands wish they could be. Far better than I had expected, given the hiatus the bad took these past few years and given that Manyard had performed with "A perfect circle" which was ho-hum in my not so humble opinion. I only hope that Maynard and company will continue to turn out such great masterpieces...
  36. jhonatanm
    Nov 30, 2006
    the best album of the year!!!!!
  37. JonS
    Nov 11, 2006
    Phenomenal. Every member of the group has taken a huge step up. Danny and Justin have mastered their roles. Far less accessible than anything they've ever done; it leaves you pondering "why" and "how" and makes it hard to sit back and appreciate the music. Definitely check out Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two, my personal favorites. Wings is very difficult to warm up to, The Phenomenal. Every member of the group has taken a huge step up. Danny and Justin have mastered their roles. Far less accessible than anything they've ever done; it leaves you pondering "why" and "how" and makes it hard to sit back and appreciate the music. Definitely check out Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two, my personal favorites. Wings is very difficult to warm up to, The Pot is annoying at first and hard to appreciate with the rest of the album because it's got a different attitude, Intension is practically a solo bass piece that exhibits Justin's brilliance, and Vicarious is really just a hard-hitting radio song. Yeah, it can be cheesy and childish at times, and Maynard isn't quite the focal point he used to be, but this album is utterly brilliant. I wouldn't advice listening to it quiet or with headphones, or while you're doing something else. Sit back in your chair and blast it. There's so much goodness in every second of the album, you may be unimpressed at points, but maybe only because of cohesion problems. There's a LOT of material crammed onto this disc. The songs are extremely intricate and stand-alone pieces, so it sort of lacks that underlying theme of older albums. After several hundred listens, you may begin to consider if one of your favorite albums. That's what happened to me. It's so huge, it really just flies over your head and leaves you in the dust, scowling--the second half of Right in Two, in particular. Expand
  38. Darrelld
    Nov 2, 2006
    this cd is the sh*t, just like every one i have herd. All of you non tool fans just need to shove it becuase of course you r going to give them bad ratings. Tool is not any thing like a religious cult. they r spiritual but is that a big issue...Tool started out in a local bar to record their album unlike most other bands. oh yea what kind of crap do you lousy critics listen to?
  39. angelv
    Oct 31, 2006
    This album is better every time you listen to it.
  40. kirks
    Oct 24, 2006
    I will be listening to this album until the end.
  41. KenS
    Oct 20, 2006
    Well, I am not a Tool fan prior to this CD, so my rating is not based on everything else they've released, or expectations of the progressive experts. Rock is rock, the initial definition of rock, the being of rock, and its reality. This cd does take you on trip, and the ride is great. The lyrics are important, but the music must guide the jouney, and Tool obviously understands this. Well, I am not a Tool fan prior to this CD, so my rating is not based on everything else they've released, or expectations of the progressive experts. Rock is rock, the initial definition of rock, the being of rock, and its reality. This cd does take you on trip, and the ride is great. The lyrics are important, but the music must guide the jouney, and Tool obviously understands this. Listen to it, don't just hear it, and enjoy! Expand
  42. KenK
    Oct 19, 2006
    Wow Tool is the best group of the world and this is the best album of this century, it's amazing and exciting, and feeling in some songs this is "10000 Days", this is Tool.
  43. JImmyR
    Oct 19, 2006
    That's a great album the songs are diferent from "Lateralus", "Wings for Marie" and "10000 Days (Wings Part 2)" are the best songs of the disc and of Tool, great!!!, they explore new sounds and new experiences, "Rosetta Stoned" remenber "AEnema", and "Vicarious", "Lateralus" and some bass from "Undertow" a great album.
  44. JhonatanY
    Oct 19, 2006
    Me parece uno de los mejores discos que he escuchado, demuestran toda la madurez de la banda, recuerdese que es un disco que busca reunir a los fans se trata de una obra de gran valia que va mas alla del Lateralus, tiene temas pesados como melodicos como "Vicarious", "The Pot", regoge lo oscuro del "AEnema" con "Rosetta Stoned" y uno de los mejores temas de TOOL : "10000 Days" and "wings Me parece uno de los mejores discos que he escuchado, demuestran toda la madurez de la banda, recuerdese que es un disco que busca reunir a los fans se trata de una obra de gran valia que va mas alla del Lateralus, tiene temas pesados como melodicos como "Vicarious", "The Pot", regoge lo oscuro del "AEnema" con "Rosetta Stoned" y uno de los mejores temas de TOOL : "10000 Days" and "wings for Marie". Expand
  45. StevenG
    Oct 4, 2006
    TOOL is far and away the best hard rock band in the world, and 10,000 Days is the best heavy rock album since TOOL's Lateralus. This is just my opinion, for which I will not apologize.
  46. tkhty
    Sep 23, 2006
    most of the songs are veryy strong lyrically and musically, a few seem out of place at times (blame hoffman, lipan conjuring) but this album is not something you'd listen to at a party or riding in a car and its nice to have music like this that really mimics the background music of an LSD trip
  47. karolina
    Sep 22, 2006
    With personal preferences of style or musician-ego aside, can you sincerely deny the intensive craftmanship and musically phenomenal sound generated by this band? And if your answer is yes, perhaps your musical knowledge is being compromised with your own perception of aesthetics.
  48. MichaelP
    Sep 18, 2006
    Like you could do any better?
  49. MinnaarP
    Sep 1, 2006
    Brilliant. Stand out tracks include The Pot and Vicarious.
  50. alvarezl
    Aug 30, 2006
    Capital masterpiece...
  51. Mattias
    Aug 21, 2006
    This album is in general order an album that grows on you, you just have to give it the time it deserves. You won't find more thought-provoking music anywhere else.
  52. SeanN
    Aug 20, 2006
    I purchsed this album not really knowing what to expect from this new collection of songs, just recently hearing "Vicarious"getting radio play.I am definitely a long time tool fan,so i picked it up.I saw somebody say it will take 2 times to listen to the album before you start to get into it,that is a bit of an understatement! .This is so above any other band,i do agree they are one of I purchsed this album not really knowing what to expect from this new collection of songs, just recently hearing "Vicarious"getting radio play.I am definitely a long time tool fan,so i picked it up.I saw somebody say it will take 2 times to listen to the album before you start to get into it,that is a bit of an understatement! .This is so above any other band,i do agree they are one of the most talented bands of this generation. I have read some reviews,but it is very obvious these people have A.D.D. one guy says there are songs with just 5 minutes of noise,dude c'mon now,there are 9 full songs ,1 intro ,and demonic noise at the end. you really have to get to know this album to appreciate it,it is not poppy,upbeat or mainstrem suitable.It is very hard to interrprut the meanings of the music,but that is why it is addictive and Expand
  53. Opeth314
    Aug 11, 2006
    Amazing! Again Tool surprises the crowd with intricate and complex sound. I've said to truly appreciate a good Tool album it usually comes on the third or so listening of it...... Plus Maynard seems to have the most fun with album... especially heard on "The Pot"..with more improv than ever!
  54. AdamW
    Jul 29, 2006
    In a pool of mindless music we've all heard again and again, tool brings to the plate yet another genious endeaver. Yet, not as good as a few previous albums. But tool's back yeahhhhh!!!!
  55. stevew
    Jul 26, 2006
    Tool's beautifully complicated music requires listening intently many times. As such, each track reveals more brilliance. This is the most sophisticated album yet. Still the intense Tool, it's original, smart, and refreshing. More obscure tracks are gradual "blow your mind" revelations. Like the instrumental in "Right In Two": a travel in space at warp speed, settling down and Tool's beautifully complicated music requires listening intently many times. As such, each track reveals more brilliance. This is the most sophisticated album yet. Still the intense Tool, it's original, smart, and refreshing. More obscure tracks are gradual "blow your mind" revelations. Like the instrumental in "Right In Two": a travel in space at warp speed, settling down and leaving goose bumps and a smile on your face. It takes time to make, and appreciate quality art, not trite shit that appeals to the shallow media and masses. Expand
  56. JesseM
    Jul 24, 2006
    This album is the beginning of the next level of music. That is the essence of progressive music. If you don't appreciate this music you have no soul.
  57. willf
    Jul 14, 2006
    best rock album of the year
  58. DannyS
    Jul 7, 2006
    well, the album has slowly absorbed me, by no means is it immediate...but god what a grower. what a track Rosetta Stoned is, where Maynard appears to be 'off his head' after being left in a hospitals reception - but stand out must be Right in Two, lyrically awesome. if you get a chance to catch them live - grab it with both hands FABULOUS
  59. JasonE
    Jun 29, 2006
    As with all of Tool's music, you need to listen to it many times before it really hits home. When I first heard it, it sounded choppy and was boring in the intermission tracks. But each time I've listened, I enjoyed it more and more. It is truly a phenomenal album. Most albums you enjoy less as you wear them out; this album keeps getting better. "Vicarious" could be Tool's As with all of Tool's music, you need to listen to it many times before it really hits home. When I first heard it, it sounded choppy and was boring in the intermission tracks. But each time I've listened, I enjoyed it more and more. It is truly a phenomenal album. Most albums you enjoy less as you wear them out; this album keeps getting better. "Vicarious" could be Tool's best track yet. It builds and builds until the very end of the song. For the person that griped that "Vicarious" was boring because it was simply about the downfalls of TV....open your mind. As with all of Tool's lyrics, it is deeper than that: It is also about how survival itself relies on killing and destroying; that is the circle of life. The remaining tracks span the musical range from soft emotional intensity ("Wings") to heavy hitting ("Jambi", "The Pot") to a more complex intensity ("Rosetta Stoned"). I personal think this is Tool's 2nd best album, next to Aenima. I have one word of advice to all those listening to this album -- listen to it many times before you judge it (and write a review)! Expand
  60. LyndonV
    Jun 25, 2006
    definitely not for most people, not commercial at all, hardly promotable on 3-minute friendly radio but for prog fans and musicians this record is definitely a progression into new different and interestingly complex orchestrations. Vicarious starts off with a simple 5/4 beat to get the mood set and by Jambi theyre ready to tear their 9/4 and 9/8 signatures to pieces. They do every definitely not for most people, not commercial at all, hardly promotable on 3-minute friendly radio but for prog fans and musicians this record is definitely a progression into new different and interestingly complex orchestrations. Vicarious starts off with a simple 5/4 beat to get the mood set and by Jambi theyre ready to tear their 9/4 and 9/8 signatures to pieces. They do every obvious progression in 9, starting with 3,2,2,2 in the intro moving to a polyrythym with the guitar in a 4,5 progression and the drums in a 3,3,3 progression, theres even a few hints of danny throwing in 6 and 9 polyrthyms at the same time, definitely one of the strongest pieces with amazing vocal melodies when appropriate. With the Wings duo theres an epic almost prayer like mood featuring a very jazzy breakdown with danny playing in 6 and the guitars jamming in 4 as well as a very celtic vocal feel with bass and drums in 5 and guitar in 4. Definitely noticeable progressions of musicianship from all musicians on this record, I love the blend of jazz with the dark ambience of "traditional" Tool. They really tear through all of these complex orchestrations completely naturally. The Pot speaks for itself, an amazing straightforward 4/4 rock song which they always seem to throw a twist with the strange placing of accents, especially with the main guitar riff. Amazing bass lines with very interesting vocals, especially the vocal intro. The next couple songs are an interlude into the second part of this cd which is a lot more experimental. With Rosetta Stoned theres very experimental singing and lots of technicalities. The whole band utilizes the 11 time signature something they didn't even touch on Lateralus, as well as their somewhat trademark 5. Theres one part thats insanity going back and forth from 8, 10, 8, 11, 9, 9, 9, 12, (all 16th notes) that breaksdown into a crazy ripcoird effect with the guitar and drums slowly getting slower, leading to an 11 jam finishing with danny doing 5 and 6 polyrythyms, 5 on his feet, 6 with his hands. Then the crazy rythmic echo effect comes in with justin bellowing out a funky bass in 15 with a progression of 3,3,3,3,3. By the end of the crazy collage its time for a break. Intension provides this with its staggering bass line in 7, with quiet tabla handrums in the background underneath Maynards howling whispers. Definitely another experimental track of Tool's, very calm and serene with aphex twin type electronic drumming ending the song off. Right In Two ends the cd in a way reminescent of A Perfect Circle's cd closers (Brena - mer de noms, Gravity - 13th Step). Its in the same 3,3,3,4 progression borrowed from Rosetta Stoned with tabla drumming borrowed from Intension. The drumming is very minimal and complex, the vocals quite shamefully easy to relate to. To end the cd they break the quiet song down to a beautiful tabla solo which progresses into a frenzy of drum fills with guitars creeping into the music which and breaks into a howling guitar part in 11/8 in a progression of 6,6,6,4 ending in 11/4 with slashing guitars and then back to the same slow, calm beginning part of the song to wrap the album up. With all of these mathematical implications most people will not enjoy this record as you can not bop your head up and down to this music in any consistent manner, and many people can't really grasp any commonsense within the music. To many it may sound like a collage of madness but it is most definitely a synchronized orchestrated piece of chaos. Very experimental, yet Tool seems to put more of their original flavour mixed within the organized chaos of Lateralus with also some new jazz and cultural influences thrown in to give it a distinct flavour. Definitely a progression for the best band around nowadays. Expand
  61. DennisD
    Jun 23, 2006
    This is definately the best album I heard for years, even surpassing Lateralus... It has everything, from the politically laden, over strange trips, to the pure heartache of loosing family members. The way he honors his mom, whoose choises and beleifs in live he didn't agree with (and all but ridiculed with APC's "Judith"), is just amazing.
  62. AndyO
    Jun 22, 2006
    It's not Lateralus II, but that's a good thing. After the initial shock of the new sound, wears off, give it another listen, it's an excellent album. All it lacks is a cohesive "album" feel, so I'd give 9.5/10, so I round up on the generous side for my favorite band.
  63. Jon
    Jun 22, 2006
    I bought it the day it hit, and at first listen I didn't care for it much. All the songs sounded alike and the filler songs like Lipan Conjuring only seemed to take away from it even more. But now, after giving it time to wear it's way into me, with every listen this album just gets better and better. Tool's at the top of their game here- even if you don't like the I bought it the day it hit, and at first listen I didn't care for it much. All the songs sounded alike and the filler songs like Lipan Conjuring only seemed to take away from it even more. But now, after giving it time to wear it's way into me, with every listen this album just gets better and better. Tool's at the top of their game here- even if you don't like the songs, don't underestimate them as musicians and songwriters. When the album is really, really good, like on the Pot, I can simply not get enough of this, and I am not one of the Tool fans that live by their name and their name only. As long as you don't come in to the album with the inclination of "Oh it's Tool and only fans will like it" you are going to come out absolutely amazed. There's no deeper meaning, no super secret mystical message here that will somehow put you headstrong onto the path of enlightenment. This is simply music that surpasses anything any other band is currently creating. Don't listen to the haters. My favorite record of the year by far. Best album cover ever, as well. Expand
  64. ThemistoclesC
    Jun 20, 2006
    Bold, powerful, epic, emotional - this album is truly a journey. After the technical triumph of Lateralus, TOOL return to their warmer Aenima/Undertow sound with lyrics more upfront and personal than ever before. Some people dislike the so called "filler" - I think it's integral to the album's cohesion...
  65. Sly
    Jun 20, 2006
    Tools best album to date. Buy it now.
  66. Eric
    Jun 15, 2006
    amazing album that was well worth the wait, and even better live (Fox Theater, Detroit May 15). can't wait to hear more of it on tour later this summer. To Tool fans: this is preaching to the choir, but there are some real ignint motherfuckers out there reviewing music; the mainstream disrespect is nothing new. it's annoying, but inconsequential. To the negatives, and the people amazing album that was well worth the wait, and even better live (Fox Theater, Detroit May 15). can't wait to hear more of it on tour later this summer. To Tool fans: this is preaching to the choir, but there are some real ignint motherfuckers out there reviewing music; the mainstream disrespect is nothing new. it's annoying, but inconsequential. To the negatives, and the people who accuse Tool and its fans of pretention and arrogance: The Pot on 10,000 Days is dedicated to you. thanks for your opinion, have fun waiting for the new nickelback album. Expand
  67. ToolFan
    Jun 10, 2006
    wow this album is awesome.. i dunno what critics try to do but.. i could lsiten to thsi album for the rest of my life just like any other tool album.. maynards voice just fits the tune so perfectly it doesnt seem real.. he can alter his voice to fit anything and danny carey does a great job on his solos.. like in wings for maire.. they have a very solid and good beat just overall.. if you wow this album is awesome.. i dunno what critics try to do but.. i could lsiten to thsi album for the rest of my life just like any other tool album.. maynards voice just fits the tune so perfectly it doesnt seem real.. he can alter his voice to fit anything and danny carey does a great job on his solos.. like in wings for maire.. they have a very solid and good beat just overall.. if you even LIKE tool youd LOVE this album Expand
  68. MattP
    Jun 9, 2006
    Beenlistening to it for several weeks now and like most Tool work the album takes repeated listening to fully appreciate. And now my favorite song changes from day to day, the album simply rocks, is not for the 30-second-attention-span crowd, and is being severly underrated by the critics but thats nothing new for Tool. Cant wait to experience it live.
  69. Brendon
    Jun 8, 2006
    Is a fantatsic album. As soon as i put in the cd player and heard the intro to vicarious i was just completely engrossed in the song. the intro just caught my attention and i instantly new that TOOL had just produced another inspiring and awesome listening experience. followed by the rest of the songs all the signature tool beats where there. danny carey awesome drumming with his little Is a fantatsic album. As soon as i put in the cd player and heard the intro to vicarious i was just completely engrossed in the song. the intro just caught my attention and i instantly new that TOOL had just produced another inspiring and awesome listening experience. followed by the rest of the songs all the signature tool beats where there. danny carey awesome drumming with his little signature fills and drum techniques and the guitar with that deep solid and also melodic tunes and the bass the all important instrument of tool. Bass guitar providing the foundation for the songs with its melodic and angelic eerie sounding slow riffs. and maynard had done fantastically with the lyrics. 10 out of 10 for me. fantastic album. Brendon Expand
  70. wwsd?satan
    Jun 8, 2006
    This Album rates a 10 easily against what is sold as music now a days! But if I put this against later works by Tool, than it gets a 7. I was hopping for an Album as Challenging as Aenima and was disappoint by what i heard...But, Tool was never about making covers of themself, so i Quickly drop the thought. This is a great Album and if you're new to Tool pick it up! But Aenima in My This Album rates a 10 easily against what is sold as music now a days! But if I put this against later works by Tool, than it gets a 7. I was hopping for an Album as Challenging as Aenima and was disappoint by what i heard...But, Tool was never about making covers of themself, so i Quickly drop the thought. This is a great Album and if you're new to Tool pick it up! But Aenima in My opinion was Amazing and after 10 years I can still find something new! Aenima was Tools must complete and i was hoping this would be the case for 10000 Days but was let down...The art for this cd is easily worth the price paid and the cd is just a added bonus! :-D Expand
  71. JohannS
    Jun 7, 2006
    Great album.
  72. JoshuaW
    Jun 5, 2006
    REally don't want to get too deep into this one. its an amazing album. and if i had to rate it on the richter it would be a 10.1, whilst the other tool albums [ except undertow] would all be 10.9's.
  73. RaulG
    Jun 5, 2006
    Tool's new album 10,000 Days is perfect. It captures the mind and sends it to places where it is not always welcomed. Although at first listen, many Tool fans may be put off by some pieces, it is this which shows the prowess of Tool. The band is making music that most can not comprehend. 10,000 Days sounds like what music will sound like in the future, say 27 years from now.
  74. GMoney
    Jun 3, 2006
    Very intelligent and intense. Not for the fast-food-mentality crowd.
  75. roxannek
    Jun 2, 2006
    love it!!
  76. LARRYS
    May 29, 2006
    When I first starting listening to this cd I was a little dissapointed considering it was a five year work in progress. LIke other Tool fans I was expecting the band to be in your face. Realizing the band has matured and my listening process has been nonstop, this album is one of my favorite Tool cd's to date. It's nearly impossible to compare Undertow or Anemia to their newer When I first starting listening to this cd I was a little dissapointed considering it was a five year work in progress. LIke other Tool fans I was expecting the band to be in your face. Realizing the band has matured and my listening process has been nonstop, this album is one of my favorite Tool cd's to date. It's nearly impossible to compare Undertow or Anemia to their newer cd's, but understanding the bands purpose on this record is amazing in it's self. Maynard's voice is still melodic and powerful, although there are times you expect him to break out his angry voice and insted it comes out in a soothing way. Adam and Justin are unbelievable as always on guitar. Danny Carey on drums is very underated and in my eyes still proves he is one of the best around. I gave this cd a ten because , honestly I can't take this cd out. An unbelievable cd and a must buy. Expand
  77. victorr
    May 28, 2006
    It's a Tool record. No more owrds are necessary.
  78. ToddF
    May 27, 2006
    Great album, not as good as some of the past albums, but still amazing as hell
  79. adamf
    May 20, 2006
    album of the decade thus far...real musicians can truly appreciate this album for its complexity and depth...5 years? it was well worth it.
  80. JoshG
    May 19, 2006
    Another longtime Tool fan here. It really baffles me why people have to go apeshit about there being a few noise tracks. You're not meant to sit around and listen to them over and over again...and they really add something to the album as an experience. 10,000 days (Wings pt. 2) is a side of Maynard we have never seen before, I think it's one of the most emotional songs Another longtime Tool fan here. It really baffles me why people have to go apeshit about there being a few noise tracks. You're not meant to sit around and listen to them over and over again...and they really add something to the album as an experience. 10,000 days (Wings pt. 2) is a side of Maynard we have never seen before, I think it's one of the most emotional songs I've listened to in the last couple years. I mean sure it's not as 100% solid as Lateralus or Aenima, but those are impossible albums to top. I'm just ecstatic that this album is as interesting as it did. Expand
  81. Pink
    May 18, 2006
    I've waited 5 years for 10,000 days to come out. I think it's everything i expected and more. I don't think lost keys,lipan conjuring, and viginti tres are fillers, in fact how dare you call them fillers, they help to set the mood of the album. Tool writes their albums the way you'd watch a movie, you sit and watch the whole thing, but in this case you listen to the I've waited 5 years for 10,000 days to come out. I think it's everything i expected and more. I don't think lost keys,lipan conjuring, and viginti tres are fillers, in fact how dare you call them fillers, they help to set the mood of the album. Tool writes their albums the way you'd watch a movie, you sit and watch the whole thing, but in this case you listen to the whole thing. 10,000 days is really deep, and it really takes you further than any other Tool album has. These people who are so quick to say, "disappointing and boring...., and we waited five years for this, oh well" in my opinion weren't really into Tool in the first place. What i really hate is the A Perfect Circle comparison, Tool has been out what. 14 years longer than APC? And then you compare one of the most Instrumentally gifted, emotional bands of our time, to some two year fling, that's really low. I love this album, and as a musician, i can totally understand why they took 5 years to do it. Actually i think all you people want to hear is them just playing rocking tunes, and some body said that sometimes you just need a straight forward rock album, that rocks the whole way through. NOT TOOL, they explore emotion, various time signatures, if you need straight 4/4 timing, listen to Green Day, Tool is not for you, but who am i to say who can and can't listen to Tool, I'm just a really lucky person to have such a great band out there while i'm alive. Maybe you should rethink your opinions on 10,000 days, or you should just go listen to the new Pearl Jam. Pink Expand
  82. MattMatt
    May 18, 2006
    The album is awesome, and as with so many things, completely over-analyized. If part of your complaints about the album involve songs being "too long" etc, then there's really no hope for you to ever become a Tool fan. They've had 7+ mintue songs on every album including Undertow; they're not likely to change that. The songs are beautifully crafted, and lovingly played, The album is awesome, and as with so many things, completely over-analyized. If part of your complaints about the album involve songs being "too long" etc, then there's really no hope for you to ever become a Tool fan. They've had 7+ mintue songs on every album including Undertow; they're not likely to change that. The songs are beautifully crafted, and lovingly played, with more straightforward lyrics than in some previous offerings. The only negative I can really point out on this album is its close sound to Lateralus. I don't sense as much of a directional shift as there was from Undertow -> Aenima, or from Aemina -> Lateralus. Though as with all Tool records, they take a very long time to digest and fully appreciate. Any reviews less than a year after it's been out won't be truely comprehensive. Expand
  83. Rafael
    May 15, 2006
    I think this is an Excellent album. The tracks: Vicarious, Jambi and the Pot are great. There are some fillers, but that is always the case on any tool album (except opiate). The art work is interesting and complements other visual effects found in previous tool albums. The score should be a 9, but I gave it a 10 to rectify the average rating.
  84. FuquaF
    May 12, 2006
    A sublime mix of spiritual intensity and "eff-you" thunder. If you don't like it, pull six feet of dirt over yourself, you are most likely dead.
  85. A
    May 12, 2006
    If you don't get it, you don't get it. It's solid.
  86. JustinB
    May 11, 2006
    Overall great album, however still not as brilliant as some of tools previous works but still a hell of a lot better than any of the other crap on the radio these days
  87. DanS
    Best Album this year
  88. DanielR.
    May 11, 2006
    Brilliant-Simply brilliant. Before you leave any sort of comment, you must listen to this album and read the lyrics with each song at least 10 times to get the true feeling. This is NOT a "what track do you like" CD. This is, "hey, do you have an hour and a half for an experience?" CD. This is an experience. Who made the law that a song mustn't be over 4 minutes? I bought this CD the Brilliant-Simply brilliant. Before you leave any sort of comment, you must listen to this album and read the lyrics with each song at least 10 times to get the true feeling. This is NOT a "what track do you like" CD. This is, "hey, do you have an hour and a half for an experience?" CD. This is an experience. Who made the law that a song mustn't be over 4 minutes? I bought this CD the day it came out and it hasn't stopped playing since. A Masterpiece! Expand
  89. KukudiM
    May 9, 2006
    Definitely one of their best albums. It's their most mature yet. If you thought "Third Eye" off of Aenima was a complex song, you'll find at least 3 or 4 comparable ones on this album. Definitely requires multiple listens for full effect..
  90. SusanS
    May 9, 2006
    I Love It...it's the best yet!
  91. TheApoc
    May 9, 2006
    This is their best album. If you think that Aenema or Lateralus are better, then I would suggest that you set aside a few hours and listen to this record from top to bottom. It combines all of the best elements of their previous work without rehashing anything. People who were expecting Aenema II, should have saved themselves some time and picked up the new Godsmack album. A band that has This is their best album. If you think that Aenema or Lateralus are better, then I would suggest that you set aside a few hours and listen to this record from top to bottom. It combines all of the best elements of their previous work without rehashing anything. People who were expecting Aenema II, should have saved themselves some time and picked up the new Godsmack album. A band that has truely mastered the art of making every album sound just like the last one. Tool is not that kind of band, and they never will be. Expand
  92. CollinL
    May 8, 2006
    Nothing out there more unique, powerful, and instramentally/vocally absorbing. Another interesting step for these briliant musicians.
  93. EdgarP
    May 8, 2006
    New sound, perfect quality.
  94. EliF
    May 8, 2006
    Love it. The main reason people don't like it is simply because it's not what they expected. Truly a love-it-or-hate it album, I love it, and enjoy it a lot more than Lateralus.
  95. Qcontagion
    Simply amazing.
  96. grantc
    May 8, 2006
    wow this album is freaking amazing...anyone that disagrees is seriously retarded.
  97. JakeH
    May 8, 2006
    Tool again reaches a new level of musicality! Tool has put AEnima and Lateralus in a blender, sprinkled in angst from the war and president and added power to create thIs progressive masterpiece!
  98. Brian
    May 7, 2006
    For sure my favorite Tool cd to date if not the best cd I own!
  99. AWall
    May 6, 2006
    amazing.
  100. KevinD
    May 6, 2006
    This Album doesn´t have to do with A Perfect Circle, It´s Tool and it will be always Tool, Is just better than Opiate or Undertow and for sure i know Tool a long time know and i know what i talking aout. 10.000 Days a little bit ohther than the early realeses and they play something new. The album is more darker and sicker and it´s direct in your ears. But. Never get the This Album doesn´t have to do with A Perfect Circle, It´s Tool and it will be always Tool, Is just better than Opiate or Undertow and for sure i know Tool a long time know and i know what i talking aout. 10.000 Days a little bit ohther than the early realeses and they play something new. The album is more darker and sicker and it´s direct in your ears. But. Never get the music like Lateralus, That one is the best and i just think Tool think that too.... Expand

1. It's not only a step forward for the band, but a re-embracing of the epic-length rock songs found at the roots of early heavy metal.
  2. When Tool sounds as good as it does on ["Jambi" and "The Pot"] it's hard to get enough. Which makes it all the more baffling that a surprisingly large chunk of the disc is given over to mood-enhancing soundscapes like "Lost Keys" and "Vigniti Tres."
  3. Sounds exactly like you would expect a Tool album to sound.