10,000 Days

• Release Date: May 2, 2006
8.3

Review this album

1. Nov 7, 2016
    Lets get one thing straight, no sequel to Lateralus was ever going to get the praise it deserved. Thats just how Tool fans are, if its new its not as good as the old, and this is the case for most fanbases in all fairness, but particularly Tool.

I tend to review albums song by song in a chronological order. But for this album I do not wish to do so. By reviewing it song by song, I present it as a sum of its parts, when in reality, this album truly becomes legendary; when a complete picture of the experience is presented in one go.

Arguing over which of Tool’s albums is the best it quite redundant, particularly because they are all good. In fact they are all very good, some of the best prog albums of all time. Whenever a new Tool album is release (for me at least) its not a matter of whether it will be better than the last few, rather its: ‘will it be on the same level as the rest of their stuff’. Long story short, 10000 Days IS on the same level as their other albums, and what makes this so much of an achievement for the band is just how long it took them between albums to release this.

For every single of the 5 years this album was in limbo, its potential grew, and grew, as a snowball would rolling down a snowy hill, until in 2006 it broke into the public. This album is phenomenal. The long wait for the album to be released adds to the appeal, as it gives it a sense of worth, and need to exist. This isn’t some yearly instalment of a successful band career, this is an experience, which comes around so rarely we must cherish it, and appreciate the subtle, and visceral beauty we are presented with.

For me, for an album to be considered great, as a pose to simply good, the album needs to have a balance between “hit tracks” which will receive radio play, and mainstream attention, as well as more subtle, and quieter tracks, which perhaps succeed in different ways to please the fans. An example of an album which DOES NOT have a mix of this is Coda by Led Zeppelin, which for fans is a decent album, but for critics has no universal appeal. Contrast Coda to Physical Graffitti, an album with appeal to both fans, with songs like The Rover, and In My Time of Dying, as well as the mainstream, with Kashmir, and Houses of The Holy. This split between critics and fans needs to be universally accepted for an album to be considered great (granted this is not always the case, but as at times reviewers royally **** up, for example reviews for Megadeth’s album). Now 10000 Days is the PERFECT mix of mainstream and hardcore acclaim.

The song Vicarious, is one of those instant Tool classics, which does NOT fail to impress even the non-Tool listeners. It’s a universally enjoyable song. My personal favourite of the album is The Pot, a catchy, and headbanging tune about hypocracy, and drugs.

The vocals on this album are OFF THE CHARTS, refer to The Pot, the instrumental performances are brilliant, and the lyrics are Tool’s finest, with very emotional moments around the whole album, refer to 1000 Days (Wings Pt2).

In essence, this album is a worthy successor to Lateralus, and does not disappoint in any way. This is a MUST OWN, and let’s hope the next Tool album can achieve what this one did, whenever they ****ING DECIDE TO RELEASE IT ALREADY.
  2. Jan 13, 2014
    This is one of my favorite all-time albums and I'm a little surprised to see people just kind of brush it off and say it's not as good as some of the older Tool albums. Something I'd like to point out, is that at the time, I had never heard a full Tool album before, and so I didn't have that standard that many Tool fans seem to have. And hearing it as nothing but an album from a band I hadThis is one of my favorite all-time albums and I'm a little surprised to see people just kind of brush it off and say it's not as good as some of the older Tool albums. Something I'd like to point out, is that at the time, I had never heard a full Tool album before, and so I didn't have that standard that many Tool fans seem to have. And hearing it as nothing but an album from a band I had never listened to, I must say it is simply a masterpiece. In fact after listening to this album first and the older ones after, I tend to favour 10 000 Days more, a lot more in fact. Expand
  3. Apr 10, 2013
    That fact that an album like this can sell over half a million copies in its open week in the US is almost astonishing in 2012. Its not their best, but its got plenty of highlights, and like most of their output, has a way of growing on you to an almost uncomfortable degree.
  4. Apr 4, 2013
    Tool is in my opinion one of the finest rock/metal bands ever, Tool manages with 10,000 Days to blend hard rock with extremely symphonic melodies to such a degree that my 80 year old grandfather actually liked them. If you like metal, rock, punk, classical, pop, or any kind of music you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't listen to Tool.
  5. Jan 20, 2012
    Best Tool album, no. Better than most of the music out there, yes. I love seeing Tool compared to Franz Ferdinand and Arcade Fire. If you want to hear Franz Ferdinand, don't put in a Tool CD. Tool CDs tend to sound like Tool. And Tool fans are morons. How many Tool fans waste their time rating and commenting on an album they never heard from a band they don't like. You are much moreBest Tool album, no. Better than most of the music out there, yes. I love seeing Tool compared to Franz Ferdinand and Arcade Fire. If you want to hear Franz Ferdinand, don't put in a Tool CD. Tool CDs tend to sound like Tool. And Tool fans are morons. How many Tool fans waste their time rating and commenting on an album they never heard from a band they don't like. You are much more intelligent than a Tool fan. Mental Midgets. Expand
  6. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Following in the steps of Lateralus helps this record from being just average. It feels like Maynard's lyrics are slipping a bit here, but the music is metal heaven.
  7. KcS
    Jun 27, 2009
    First off I would like to say to some, not all Tool fans are pot heads or 16 year olds, or those that know nothing. I am a University graduate, and most definately not a moron, so those with those comments can shove them wherever they please. I like this albulm but their older stuff is much better I agree to that, but not everyone who listens to Tool are potheads or drug addicts.
  8. Dogstarr
    Mar 19, 2009
    This one would deserve a 10 if only Lateralus and Aenima didn't exist, yet the critics seem to have given it fairly low scores. I guess you either appreciate the best heavy band since Zeppelin, or you don't quite get it. Oh well, if you like heavy rock at all, you have no real choice, you need to get it.
  9. student
    Sep 17, 2008
    It was no lateralus, but still great. half of the cd is awesome and half is filler.. who cares. as for the people who said "go listen to franz ferdninand and the killers" and shit like that.. get a clue.
  10. Bryan
    May 3, 2008
    Great album, not as good as the earlier ones like lateralus or aenima but awesome.
  11. MattO
    May 1, 2008
    It's safe to say that most of these critics probably spend too much time judging the "quality" and "ability" of several genres; in doing so, I think they somewhat lose their perception on what is inspirational. Songs aren't meant to be a "ballad of the moment." Songs are supposed to move people, motivating them to become something more than themselves. If you ask me, the critics It's safe to say that most of these critics probably spend too much time judging the "quality" and "ability" of several genres; in doing so, I think they somewhat lose their perception on what is inspirational. Songs aren't meant to be a "ballad of the moment." Songs are supposed to move people, motivating them to become something more than themselves. If you ask me, the critics are all on pot, not the listeners. They are on something else entirely. One of my favorite albums of all time, and I've listened to far too many different genres, from Kenny Rogers' "First Edition" to "all the damn Li'l's in rap music today." Expand
  12. vocalius
    Mar 31, 2008
    The most amazing thing with this record is,that it's very(very) hard to mesmerize it. words are meaningless with band.
  13. ChrisL.
    Feb 17, 2008
    This album contains brilliance and genius of the highest order. I think it's the greatest album of the decade thus far and Tool is the only band I know that gets substantially better with each album.
  14. JinL.
    Feb 6, 2008
    Don't listen to critics. This album rates a full 10/10.
  15. ColinM
    Jan 18, 2008
    Awesome album...Maynard wrote some great lyrics for this album and of course the music is masterly put together. You cannot say enough about the talents of Danny Carey!!
  16. ScottH.
    Jan 11, 2008
    It may sound redundant at this point in Tool's "legendary" career, but the anticipation of their latest Album, 10,000 Days, was worth the five year wait since their last album of Lateralus in 2001. It's another musical masterpiece to add to the repertoire of sensational albums that the band has released for us all to experience. These guys clearly understand the importance of It may sound redundant at this point in Tool's "legendary" career, but the anticipation of their latest Album, 10,000 Days, was worth the five year wait since their last album of Lateralus in 2001. It's another musical masterpiece to add to the repertoire of sensational albums that the band has released for us all to experience. These guys clearly understand the importance of quality in the art of music vs. taking their audiences money to create snappy singles that get stuck in our mundane minds for a month or two only to re-appear on some game show ten years later in the "one hit wonders" category. 10,000 Days proves, once again, that Tool albums are meant to be experienced in their entirety for a lifetime. No matter what alternative music is doing at the present time of a Tool album releasing, they still rock harder and are more musically talented than any other band around hands down. They're done proving themselves at this point, so if you are a Tool fan, buy this album, sit back and enjoy the latest installment that is TOOL! If you've never owned a Tool album, but appreciate true artistry in music, buy all their albums, experience them, be blown away and never look at alternative music the same again! Expand
  17. BenL
    Apr 20, 2007
    This CD is so abstract and ideal. The music and lyrics flow perfectly. Vocals are obsolete. Amazing.
  18. BobbyMon
    Apr 9, 2007
    It's TOOL
  19. notanetgeekx
    Apr 6, 2007
    i love tool but u dorks have too much time on ur hands suck bon jovi's dick u fat lazy virgin , moms basement livin ,fat no life havin wish u had a stink fist to to smell . i say good day
  20. knucklesfumpa
    Apr 6, 2007
    aenima is more epic 10,000 days is more soulful
  21. JohnDoe
    Mar 31, 2007
    This is an amazing album once you listen through it a few times. What sets Tool head-and-shoulders above other mainstream bands is their use of dynamics and rhythm. Other bands craft 3-to-5 minute pop songs in which they play the same hook over and over again with the structure never varying. I personally enjoy the slower tracks like 10,000 Days and Right In Two. As bands grow older, This is an amazing album once you listen through it a few times. What sets Tool head-and-shoulders above other mainstream bands is their use of dynamics and rhythm. Other bands craft 3-to-5 minute pop songs in which they play the same hook over and over again with the structure never varying. I personally enjoy the slower tracks like 10,000 Days and Right In Two. As bands grow older, their songs seem to get mellower and less angsty and I think the same is happening to Tool (which is, in my opinion, for the better). It shows that they have changed and matured since AEnima and previous record, while still keeping their songs exciting and interesting. In my opinion, this is the best record Tool has released. Expand
  22. EddieC
    Mar 21, 2007
    Nothing but truth and great tunes.
  23. MattS
    Mar 21, 2007
    As many others have stated, this album REALLY grows on you. The songs that sound like crap at first grow on you, one by one. Everybody complains about the fillers, and at the same time say it wasn't as good as Aenima, which itself was only about 5 or 6 good songs with a lot of filler in between. Tool's debut album was 5 songs, followed by an album of all songs, followed by an As many others have stated, this album REALLY grows on you. The songs that sound like crap at first grow on you, one by one. Everybody complains about the fillers, and at the same time say it wasn't as good as Aenima, which itself was only about 5 or 6 good songs with a lot of filler in between. Tool's debut album was 5 songs, followed by an album of all songs, followed by an album of 5 or 6 good songs with fillers, followed by an album of all songs, followed by an album of 5 or 6 songs with fillers. Anyone see a pattern here? The fact is, this is an excellent ALBUM, in an age where almost all other commercial artists just churn out songs. Most musicians nowadays put out a complete album based on only one song, and hope to make money off of the download of that one song. Here, Tool once again has turned an idea into a complete ALBUM, and enhanced it with conceptual art, making it something actually worth purchasing and possessing. As for how the band has progressed; as a guitarist, every Tool album before this one I have been able to listen to a few times and pick up a guitar and play it. I thought I would be able to do that with this one, but I must admit, I've tried, and might have to consult the tabs on this one, just like I had to on 'Presence' and 'In Through the Out Door' by Zeppelin, other albums this has been compared to. Kudos to Tool and their great few songs. I'd rather wait 5 years for songs as good as these with fillers than wait 10 for a full album. Just thank God that we can push the skip button instead of having to fast forward and rewind. Looking forward to seeing it live. Maybe they'll take me back to how a rock concert's actually supposed to be. Expand
  24. KennyG
    Mar 16, 2007
    Superb album... not a definite improvement upon Lateralus but definitely not a step down in any way. Songs still epic and on caliber with Lateralus, the only flaw is the transitioning of the songs. Even though all the songs satisfied me there was a little bit too much filler and vigini tres and lipan conjuring could've left room for another awesome track.
  25. paulof
    Mar 14, 2007
    .....different, but they can always lunch the real substitute for lateralus....
  26. JuanA
    Mar 12, 2007
    It is an incredible disc!!!!!!!!
  27. BobbyNuggets
    Mar 5, 2007
    At first I was a little disappointed and did think it was a continuation of Lateralus. But, each time I listen to it I love it more and more. I originally became a Tool fan based solely on the music alone. This album made me start listening to the words and developing my own interpretation. Maynard has some sic thoughts and some that I can at least semi relate to. Overall this album is At first I was a little disappointed and did think it was a continuation of Lateralus. But, each time I listen to it I love it more and more. I originally became a Tool fan based solely on the music alone. This album made me start listening to the words and developing my own interpretation. Maynard has some sic thoughts and some that I can at least semi relate to. Overall this album is not an "on the fly" record where you just listen to it in your car on the way to walmart. this is an album you must take the time to listen to and let it take you in. Expand
  28. LouL
    Mar 2, 2007
    03/02/07 - I purchased the cd the day it came out and can not listen to anything else. This album and tour were done to perfection and I appreciate it. Few bands put forth the obvious hard work that it takes to create a masterpiece such as 10K Days. I have not been moved by an album in this manner since I discovered Pink Floyd Animals.
  29. clydeg
    Mar 1, 2007
    Definately not Tools best work, but better than most of the music thats out there. Maybe Meynard and the boys can call Willie G and the rest of the self professed musical geniuses and get some pointers for the next album. Better yet maybe they should just go out and buy Willies albums and then they'll know how to do it right the next time.
  30. NonameNolastname
    Feb 10, 2007
    Good album. Not nearly up to the amazingness of Lateralus or the greatness of Aenima, but a solid album. It has a few annoying parts, but it does have good content: Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right In Two, and the song(s) that some love and some hate: Wings for Marie (+ part 2). Seems more "earthy" as compared to the "spiritual" sounding Lateralus. I don't see how Good album. Not nearly up to the amazingness of Lateralus or the greatness of Aenima, but a solid album. It has a few annoying parts, but it does have good content: Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right In Two, and the song(s) that some love and some hate: Wings for Marie (+ part 2). Seems more "earthy" as compared to the "spiritual" sounding Lateralus. I don't see how people can see this as Lateralus II, they seem completely different to me. The extreme anti-Tool comments like "dudez, toolz fans r al brindid, hu ha ha" when I doubt they hardly even listened to 10,000 days to judge it. Oh well, you can all go back to listening to britney spears and friends :) In the end, Tool did something new. Not uber-outstanding, not on par with Lateralus, but still a great album (even more as compared to most music these days.) The only complaint can be the "filler". It does get a tad annoying, but doesn't bring down the album signifigantly. Expand

1. It's not only a step forward for the band, but a re-embracing of the epic-length rock songs found at the roots of early heavy metal.
  2. When Tool sounds as good as it does on ["Jambi" and "The Pot"] it's hard to get enough. Which makes it all the more baffling that a surprisingly large chunk of the disc is given over to mood-enhancing soundscapes like "Lost Keys" and "Vigniti Tres."
  3. Sounds exactly like you would expect a Tool album to sound.