100th Window

8.6

Review this album

1. SteveS
    Feb 14, 2003
    Having read about the album and owning all the others before hand, my expectations were high. Thankfully, what is essentially a solo album turns out to be rather enjoyable. Whilst not quite as anthmic as you'd expect, it does have some nice tunes, albiet a bit dark. Some of the tunes sound as if they're about to kick in, but then never quite peak as you expect them to. Very good Having read about the album and owning all the others before hand, my expectations were high. Thankfully, what is essentially a solo album turns out to be rather enjoyable. Whilst not quite as anthmic as you'd expect, it does have some nice tunes, albiet a bit dark. Some of the tunes sound as if they're about to kick in, but then never quite peak as you expect them to. Very good all round CD. Expand
  2. MushroomSteven
    Feb 21, 2003
    emotion-less and boring. There is no connection with the two first records, Blue lines and Protection. I think Massive attack is dead.
  3. Jan 14, 2012
    if i must say , this is better than the utterly **** Heligoland
  4. John
    Jun 7, 2003
    As with all other Massive Attrack CD's, my favourite it Protection and Mezzanine, 100th Window is different, it what I expected late at night in a dark room - Fan Fucking Tastic..just listen to it!
  5. PoldoG.
    Jan 30, 2005
    The best album for M/A Absolutely FUTURE PROOF!
  6. WallaceO
    Feb 12, 2003
    It is brilliant. Detractors are wrong.
  7. AV
    Feb 19, 2003
    The overall feel of this cd is sure to please Massive Attack fans. For those who are just beginning to explore their sound, Mezzanine is the place to start. Still, 100th Window is sure to please the most ardent followers of this genre-defining act.
  8. CathyUnderwood
    Mar 18, 2003
    I'm not fucking havin it! 7.1 is not good enough for this fantastic albumn, it's a flamin 10.
  9. JorisV.
    Dec 5, 2004
    Just listen to Futureproof, Butterfly Caught or Smalltime Shot Away! Every album of the massive was different and the expectations heep rising each time too, that's wahy some gave it bad reviews... but this is another spooky masterpiece. 1.Protection 2.Mezznine 3. 100th Window 4. Blue Lines
  10. PhilM
    Apr 30, 2005
    Absolutely a 10! I can't get enough of Butterfly Caught!! That song just doesn't end...Definitely for headphones. CD should have a warning label advising anyone going through treatment for depression to stay away!! As good as Mezzanine? Yes, and so different. Next release, please.
    Feb 12, 2003
    no mezzanine, but still a wonderful album. Very reminiscent of Kid A
  12. Nov 30, 2012
    Yes it is emotion-less. thats whats so great about it. It's definitely a dark album. Even Sinead has a great performance on What Your Soul Sings. Personally I think this is my favorite Massive Attack album hands down.
  13. Feb 20, 2012
    From the incredible 'What Your Soul Sings' to moody 'Antistar', Massive Attack's 4th is only revolutionary in its depth which makes it the best album in their catalogue to revisit. It does not have the great choruses of Mezzanine, but the lyrical strength remains and oddly enough I sensed an atmosphere of doubt/anxiety from the songs...
  14. Nov 16, 2013
    I really really loved it! It is more of an ambient album than Blue Lines but I feel they are on the same level concerning quality. The production is topnotch and they really know how to create a mood in a room.

1. The naysayers do not understand. Their expectations hamstring them.... Like the glass sculptures featured in the artwork it is precise, transparent, dangerously fragile, and ominously lit. 100th Window is a masterpiece of its kind.
  2. If there's one misstep on 100th Window, it's that [Sinead O'Connor's] talent and her range are underused.
  3. Urb
    While its hardly an overwhelming masterpiece like Blue Lines or Protection, it still stands head and shoulders above most everything else. [Mar 2003, p.95]