• Record Label: XL
7.6

Review this album

1. JohnM.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Given her tender years (let's not forget that she was a mere 19 when this album was recorded), it's not surprising that, lyrically, the songs are only adequate; that said, Adele's clearly a talented songwriter who's only going to get better as she continues to mature and hone her craft. But in terms of musicianship - that SPECTACULAR voice - those BRILLIANT vocal Given her tender years (let's not forget that she was a mere 19 when this album was recorded), it's not surprising that, lyrically, the songs are only adequate; that said, Adele's clearly a talented songwriter who's only going to get better as she continues to mature and hone her craft. But in terms of musicianship - that SPECTACULAR voice - those BRILLIANT vocal arrangements - this album instantly establishes Adele as a MAJOR talent who, should we all be so lucky, is likely to be around for decades to come... . Expand
  2. BillL.
    Nov 27, 2008
    This album sounds better after several playings. The artist is young and a little unfinsihed at this stage but is very talented and has a good voice and style for singing soul. I have come to really appreciate the album and play it frequently now. The music has real character and is cut above the polished but empty faire that is typically served up from recording studios these days.
  3. May 14, 2012
    In my humble opinion, one of the most addicting albums I've ever heard. I wont bore you with mundane details, but its just flat out easy listening at its finest. It's bursting with personality. My only minor complaint is that track 7 "First Love" is underwhelming and feels a little out of place, but its still a solid song. Give this album a listen!
  4. Nov 26, 2011
    I first heard the song on this album is Chasing Pavenments and Hometown Glory. Then listen "Daydreamer, Now and Then, and Cold Shoulder". I love it. Then I listened to the song "Right as Rain" kind of music in this song sounds like "Amy Winehouse. Overall this album 19, Adele gave a very brilliant musicality. She has a beautiful soulful voice.
    Adele is also a great songwriter. "19" is one
    Adele is also a great songwriter. "19" is one that must be listened to albums of all time ......
  5. Nov 28, 2013
    One of my favorite artists of all time soulful, genuine, moving, passionate, real, wonderful, emotional i love you Adele and God bless your baby and family!
  6. May 30, 2014
    "19" introduced us to the amazing singer-songwriter Adele. With songs that are just emotionally satisfying as they are catchy; it just shows that this woman is here to stay.
  7. JoshR.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Amazing!! Adele has an amazing voice for the age of 19! expect more great things from her in the future!!
  8. Pete
    Apr 8, 2008
    Super album, Adele can write songs!
  9. BlairS.
    Mar 5, 2008
    An excellent debut from a gorgeous voice.
  10. James
    Apr 4, 2008
    Shockingly good and necessary listening once a day for last weeks.
  11. DitoA.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Very good pop album
  12. sara
    Aug 10, 2008
    She has a wonderful soulful phrasing.
  13. KenF.
    Mar 26, 2008
    Great album. Emotionally moving. With this kind of beginning, I'm looking forward to her having a long career.
  14. DanielW.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Wonderful tunes and a voice that keeps growing on u!
  15. JohnS.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Of all female vocalists, none is as great as this one.
  16. PedroP.
    Dec 21, 2008
    Best album of 2008 for sure, Adele isn't anywhere near Amy Winehouse, but she's going at the speed of sound. She has a beautiful soulful voice and lots of charisma. Maybe some lyrics are a little boring or too good natured, but that's Adele, she's not some kind of pop diva that wears almost no clothes and jumps around with plastic boobs, she's a true diva, Aretha style.
  17. CarlD.
    Jul 31, 2008
    Adele's songs may not be as catchy as Duffy's or as professionally written as Leona's, but the lyrics are from the heart and the voice behind it all will put Miss Lewis to shame.
  18. May 28, 2011
    19 is a complete album. Catchy some times (Best For last, Chasing Pavements...), sad (First Love, Daydreamer...) It's a must for any jazz, blues, pop lovers. And what a voice!
  19. Dec 29, 2014
    One of the finest debut album in recent history. Adele matches stellar vocals to deep, tender songwriting. She is enchanting and will move you. There is a moment at the end of 'Melt My Heart to Stone' that will bring you to tears.
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    The first album of Adele prove her fascinating talent , even she is so young, she makes a kind of music that is not so "actual and commercial", her music can transfer you to a old years. Her voice is superb, so deep and moreover she has a style so sophisticated. I love her.
  21. Nov 18, 2013
    This is a very commendable debut from a 19 years old girl. Though it opens with songs that are a bit boring ("Daydreamer" and "Best for Last"), it picks up well from "Chasing Pavements", "Cold Shoulder", to my two favorites: "My Same" and "Hometown Glory". Adele is very talented and her next efforts should offer more than this. She's the new queen of pop music.
  22. Dec 19, 2014
    Great debut album.

1. A beyond stellar debut in both quality and originality.
  2. As is to be expected given Adele's tender years, thematically things are a bit monochrome.... All this, however, is forgiven with a listen to the highlights, such as the sweet acoustic guitar-led 'Daydreamer.'
  3. The co-writes--not as many as you might’ve expected--generally boom from the speakers. The self-penned efforts are bare-boned, erratically excellent but frustratingly blighted by Adele’s penchant for going beyond her capabilities as a vocalist.