• Record Label: XL
  • Release Date: Jun 10, 2008
7.5

Review this album

1. Nov 28, 2015
    19 is a pretty good debut from an artist that shows great potential. Compared to her later works, Adele's voice here is at its least impressive. Her vocals are good but aren't used to their fullest as with her succeeding works. Also, as a whole, the album isn't very sonically cohesive and the production is pretty sub-par.
  2. Nov 9, 2015
    Ela é incrível, e mostrava isso desde o 19. Se eu não tivesse pesquisado e fosse logo ouvindo o álbum, sem ver data nem nada, eu JAMAIS diria que esse é o primeiro álbum dela. Impressionante.
  3. Dec 29, 2014
    One of the finest debut album in recent history. Adele matches stellar vocals to deep, tender songwriting. She is enchanting and will move you. There is a moment at the end of 'Melt My Heart to Stone' that will bring you to tears.
  4. Dec 19, 2014
    Great debut album.
  5. Aug 25, 2014
    Adele is a true powerhouse vocal that cannot be judged for not having the bad girl karma, since there are several other figures who stood out having the zen quality, but can surely be judged for pushing a monochromatic (and sometimes even boring) album, which comes together as melodrama over the classic unsuccessful romance.
  6. May 30, 2014
    "19" introduced us to the amazing singer-songwriter Adele. With songs that are just emotionally satisfying as they are catchy; it just shows that this woman is here to stay.
  7. Mar 31, 2014
    Adele has a million-dollar voice, but her music is not on par.
    She is highly overrated, but at least she is talented.
    Favorite Tracks: Rumour Has It, Rolling In the Deep, Don't You Remember
    Least Favorite Tracks: Someone Like You, One and Only
  8. Nov 28, 2013
    One of my favorite artists of all time soulful, genuine, moving, passionate, real, wonderful, emotional i love you Adele and God bless your baby and family!
  9. Nov 18, 2013
    This is a very commendable debut from a 19 years old girl. Though it opens with songs that are a bit boring ("Daydreamer" and "Best for Last"), it picks up well from "Chasing Pavements", "Cold Shoulder", to my two favorites: "My Same" and "Hometown Glory". Adele is very talented and her next efforts should offer more than this. She's the new queen of pop music.
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    The first album of Adele prove her fascinating talent , even she is so young, she makes a kind of music that is not so "actual and commercial", her music can transfer you to a old years. Her voice is superb, so deep and moreover she has a style so sophisticated. I love her.
  11. Oct 1, 2012
    Her next album, "21", is way better than this one. But it does have really solid songs and her vocals in this album is spectacular. A very good album overall..........
  12. May 14, 2012
    In my humble opinion, one of the most addicting albums I've ever heard. I wont bore you with mundane details, but its just flat out easy listening at its finest. It's bursting with personality. My only minor complaint is that track 7 "First Love" is underwhelming and feels a little out of place, but its still a solid song. Give this album a listen!
  13. Jan 20, 2012
    Adele's voice is something to behold, but the majority of the songs on '19' take major turns in the wrong direction and end up sounding like a whiny, annoying teenager making nonsensical claims about her love life. However, there are still times where she can be a good songwriter, both 'Chasing Pavements' and 'Hometown Glory' are exceptional tunes, but the rest of '19' is dull and uncomfortable.
  14. Nov 26, 2011
    I first heard the song on this album is Chasing Pavenments and Hometown Glory. Then listen "Daydreamer, Now and Then, and Cold Shoulder". I love it. Then I listened to the song "Right as Rain" kind of music in this song sounds like "Amy Winehouse. Overall this album 19, Adele gave a very brilliant musicality. She has a beautiful soulful voice.
    Adele is also a great songwriter. "19" is one
    Adele is also a great songwriter. "19" is one that must be listened to albums of all time ......
  15. Aug 2, 2011
    No more than her second album, "19" introduces to us, the soulful Adele voice, though it doesn't sound so much "soul" in the record. "Chasing Pavements", "Melt My Heart To Stone" and "Hometown Glory" are really the highlights of "19", with great lyrics and contagious pop rhythms. Lyrics are not so well creative in the rest of the songs and sometimes, they tend to be repetitive and tooNo more than her second album, "19" introduces to us, the soulful Adele voice, though it doesn't sound so much "soul" in the record. "Chasing Pavements", "Melt My Heart To Stone" and "Hometown Glory" are really the highlights of "19", with great lyrics and contagious pop rhythms. Lyrics are not so well creative in the rest of the songs and sometimes, they tend to be repetitive and too simple, though Adele's voice amazingly keeps you listening the entire album track by track. Expand
  16. Jul 23, 2011
    A strong start for this talented musician. Although a lot of her lyrics are somewhat simplistic and tread the same ground (love lost and found), her voice is a real treat to listen to, regardless.
  17. May 28, 2011
    19 is a complete album. Catchy some times (Best For last, Chasing Pavements...), sad (First Love, Daydreamer...) It's a must for any jazz, blues, pop lovers. And what a voice!
  18. May 24, 2011
    Compared to '21', this album lacks many nice songs and songs to keep people wanting to continue listening to the album in its whole entirety. ''Chasing Pavements'' is the main highlight to the album.
  19. JohnM.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Given her tender years (let's not forget that she was a mere 19 when this album was recorded), it's not surprising that, lyrically, the songs are only adequate; that said, Adele's clearly a talented songwriter who's only going to get better as she continues to mature and hone her craft. But in terms of musicianship - that SPECTACULAR voice - those BRILLIANT vocal Given her tender years (let's not forget that she was a mere 19 when this album was recorded), it's not surprising that, lyrically, the songs are only adequate; that said, Adele's clearly a talented songwriter who's only going to get better as she continues to mature and hone her craft. But in terms of musicianship - that SPECTACULAR voice - those BRILLIANT vocal arrangements - this album instantly establishes Adele as a MAJOR talent who, should we all be so lucky, is likely to be around for decades to come... . Expand
  20. PedroP.
    Dec 21, 2008
    Best album of 2008 for sure, Adele isn't anywhere near Amy Winehouse, but she's going at the speed of sound. She has a beautiful soulful voice and lots of charisma. Maybe some lyrics are a little boring or too good natured, but that's Adele, she's not some kind of pop diva that wears almost no clothes and jumps around with plastic boobs, she's a true diva, Aretha style.
  21. BillL.
    Nov 27, 2008
    This album sounds better after several playings. The artist is young and a little unfinsihed at this stage but is very talented and has a good voice and style for singing soul. I have come to really appreciate the album and play it frequently now. The music has real character and is cut above the polished but empty faire that is typically served up from recording studios these days.
  22. JOHnA.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Adele shines on this exquisite debut. She has an amazingly gifted voice, which soars throughout the well produced and written songs. Catchy songs like Best for Last, Chasing Pavements, and Melt MY Heart to Stone show that this 19 year old has a mature side. Doesn't matter what critics say. this album is incredible. This album is most suitable for people who have just broken up with Adele shines on this exquisite debut. She has an amazingly gifted voice, which soars throughout the well produced and written songs. Catchy songs like Best for Last, Chasing Pavements, and Melt MY Heart to Stone show that this 19 year old has a mature side. Doesn't matter what critics say. this album is incredible. This album is most suitable for people who have just broken up with someone or feel free now that they are no longer with someone. Every song on this album is good, although there are three that could be considered "fillers". Overall, an 8 out of 10. Mostly for Adele's voice and 4 outstanding songs. Buy the album, if you life Duffy, Winehouse and Norah Jones, you will not be let down. Expand
  23. sara
    Aug 10, 2008
    She has a wonderful soulful phrasing.
  24. JohnS.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Of all female vocalists, none is as great as this one.
  25. CarlD.
    Jul 31, 2008
    Adele's songs may not be as catchy as Duffy's or as professionally written as Leona's, but the lyrics are from the heart and the voice behind it all will put Miss Lewis to shame.
  26. DarrisT.
    Jul 29, 2008
    If you liked laid back songs that can relax you, this is a great album for you. Many of the songs have great lyrics that are deep and a welcome from you average Hot 100 artist. To Make You Feel My Love Tired First Love Chasing Pavenments Cold Shoulder Hometown Glory Great songs.
  27. HarryW.
    Jul 17, 2008
    Coffee table music I'm afraid. If you like Norah Jones (and I do, kind of) you should enjoy this but it's not going to make you rip up your life and start over. Adele has a nice enough voice but lacking in the colour that willcome with age. Whether she will still be in the public eye when she gains that is dubious (Dido anyone?)
  28. JoshR.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Amazing!! Adele has an amazing voice for the age of 19! expect more great things from her in the future!!
  29. KenH.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Music for teenage girls. Anyone else will likely roll eyes at the lyrics. The music is plodding and uninteresting. She has a nice voice but its going to be years before she develops into an artist and will she even still be making CD's in 5 years?
  30. MitchellZ.
    May 1, 2008
    Good voice, ok arrangements, but overall... snore!
  31. RichardJ.
    Apr 22, 2008
    Boring, Dull and not imaginative in anyway, This is like Kate Nash doing Jazz, quirky but doesn't merit a good album, I have heard Adele on the music scene for over two years and her music and her voice just doesn't interest me and this is no masterpiece, she is still 19 so she will get better...personally listen to Billie Holiday it is more interesting tonally and writing wise.
  32. DanielW.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Wonderful tunes and a voice that keeps growing on u!
  33. Pete
    Apr 8, 2008
    Super album, Adele can write songs!
  34. James
    Apr 4, 2008
    Shockingly good and necessary listening once a day for last weeks.
  35. PaoloFromMilano
    Apr 2, 2008
    Boring, dear Adele try again!
  36. KenF.
    Mar 26, 2008
    Great album. Emotionally moving. With this kind of beginning, I'm looking forward to her having a long career.
  37. JohnZ.
    Mar 7, 2008
    Almost masterpiece
  38. BlairS.
    Mar 5, 2008
    An excellent debut from a gorgeous voice.
  39. Cripes
    Feb 28, 2008
    Dull Dull Dull, She may have a great voice and Chasing Pavements may be good but this is easily the dullest album I have heard in a couple of years....shame
  40. DitoA.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Very good pop album
    Feb 22, 2008
    Very boring and mediocre.
  42. NormF.
    Feb 21, 2008
    I agree with those reviewers who say that in her songwriting, she is in an early stage of development. But her singing is excellent, and her songwriting tends toward an ambitious range musically that bodes well for the future. A very solid first effort.
  43. D.Ranged
    Feb 21, 2008
    Toss this garbage out!!! Overrated, overhyped bland faux-Jazz singer who is too bland and too uncreative for words. Basically a poor man's Amy Winehouse, just like Kate Nash is a poor man's Lily Allen. Chasing Pavements might possibly be one of the most abhorrent and nauseating song out there.

1. A beyond stellar debut in both quality and originality.
  2. As is to be expected given Adele's tender years, thematically things are a bit monochrome.... All this, however, is forgiven with a listen to the highlights, such as the sweet acoustic guitar-led 'Daydreamer.'
  3. The co-writes--not as many as you might’ve expected--generally boom from the speakers. The self-penned efforts are bare-boned, erratically excellent but frustratingly blighted by Adele’s penchant for going beyond her capabilities as a vocalist.