• Record Label: Arista
  • Release Date: Aug 7, 2001
8.6

Review this album

1. May 12, 2013
    8701, Usher's third album, represents a step up from the more pop-oriented style of his previous albums, with a steadier, more consistent production, allowing Usher to express himself vocally more. However, his lack of deviation from remaining pop-friendly R&B with mid tempo filler songs like "Hottest Girl" let the album down, seductive enough to keep you listening, but not enough to8701, Usher's third album, represents a step up from the more pop-oriented style of his previous albums, with a steadier, more consistent production, allowing Usher to express himself vocally more. However, his lack of deviation from remaining pop-friendly R&B with mid tempo filler songs like "Hottest Girl" let the album down, seductive enough to keep you listening, but not enough to captivate you towards the end of the album.

That being said, the opening two thirds, with stand out singles U Remind Me, U Got It Bad and the Pharrell Williams-produced "U Don't Have to Call" and "I Don't Know (featuring a surprisingly low-key P. Diddy) show off Usher's vocal talents to their fullest. What the album does it does well; a solid piece of urban R&B.
  2. AlishaB.
    Apr 9, 2002
    i love this album that is why i bought plus usher is a hottie
  3. deneyshag
    Oct 20, 2005
    you are the best
  4. ShelbyW
    Sep 1, 2001
    Usher is definately doing his thing. He has proved to many doubters that he still has what it takes to keep him on the charts.
  5. AndreA.
    Oct 6, 2001
    It's Da Best
  6. KatrinaB.
    Jan 2, 2002
    Usher is bad. I Love this cd, especially #'s 4 & 11!
  7. HelenH.
    Mar 17, 2002
    Wot a CLASS album! Sexy lyrics from an extremely sexy artist! Dont stop now Usher!
  8. SheriM.
    Apr 17, 2002
    Usher is the absolute best!! His 8701 CD is so hot, i listen to it non-stop...his voice is amazing, it also doesn't hurt that he is sexy as all hell.
  9. autumnh
    Oct 20, 2005
    i love grant
  10. gabiy
    Feb 19, 2007
    beautiful
  11. RalphB.
    Oct 21, 2001
    It's good. I like number 10.
  12. LianT.
    Mar 19, 2002
    It is perfect. The songs are amazing. You can tell he has put a lot of work in to this.
  13. markeshiak
    Nov 22, 2006
    i lovve usher very much
  14. JamiraC.
    Oct 24, 2001
    This album is tight U Got It Bad. Is Badd!
  15. ChelseaL.
    Jan 13, 2002
    its a slammin album
  16. ValerieH.
    Feb 19, 2002
    It's hot. He's hot. You gotta love the whole deal!!!
  17. DesiK.
    Mar 18, 2002
    This album is the best! I can't stop listening to it!!! =)
  18. KerryM
    Mar 29, 2002
    This is a sweet album. I listen to this cd when I have problems with my relationships. It helps a lot and it helps you relax. Thanx Usher!!!!!!!!!!
  19. AmberE
    Jul 27, 2002
    he rulesand he is HOTT
  20. MarieP
    Feb 11, 2003
    i love usher and his vibe so every song on the cd is a 10 for me

1. Vibe
    Feb 4, 2011
    Usher's back at ya with a consistent third album that has a good chance of staying afloat in a marketplace overflowing with crooning R&B clones. [Sep 2001, p.235]
  2. Jan 7, 2011
    Acoustic guitar work, live drums by Stokley of Mint Condition (remember them?), and a cameo by the law-brushing P. Diddy ("If making hits is a crime, I plead guilty") also lend a surprising amount of variety to what could have been an otherwise homogenized set.
  3. Jan 3, 2011
    8701 is more mood music than anything else, and while it does work fairly well on that level, it's not memorable outside of that mood.