8.8

Review this album

1. Aug 6, 2011
    For me, the greatest Coldplay album and one of the best of the decade. Possibly the coldplay album with the most piano. Songs like "Green eyes", "clocks", "a rush of blood to the head", "the scientist" or "politik" are top class melodic rock. I would only delete the song "god put a smile up on your face". Here they don't sound like first era Radiohead at all as they did on their fantasticFor me, the greatest Coldplay album and one of the best of the decade. Possibly the coldplay album with the most piano. Songs like "Green eyes", "clocks", "a rush of blood to the head", "the scientist" or "politik" are top class melodic rock. I would only delete the song "god put a smile up on your face". Here they don't sound like first era Radiohead at all as they did on their fantastic first album. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2012
    I don't even know hot describe how much I love this record. This album is the sole reason I started listening to Coldplay as a serious listener and even considering them as one of my favourite bands. Chris Martin's vocals and Jonny Buckland's electric guitar are terrific. Whenever I listen to the title track of the album, I always feel like I'm climbing a hill and it's so cold and I needI don't even know hot describe how much I love this record. This album is the sole reason I started listening to Coldplay as a serious listener and even considering them as one of my favourite bands. Chris Martin's vocals and Jonny Buckland's electric guitar are terrific. Whenever I listen to the title track of the album, I always feel like I'm climbing a hill and it's so cold and I need to make some decisions. Believe me, but I actually used to be a Coldplay hater but that's before I listened to songs like "In My Place", "Politik", "A Rush of Blood to the Head", "Green Eyes" and "Warning Sign". I can easily call it my most favourite Coldplay album. Expand
  3. Jan 19, 2011
    Its incredible how the people who give Coldplay zeros give absolutly no reason or justification behind their score, at least no descriptive enough, how about going into detail? Boring? Thats it? You have yet to learn about what it means to grade music, this album is Pink Floyd reincarnate. 473rd greatest album of all time, Too low. These critics are reliable people but people evenIts incredible how the people who give Coldplay zeros give absolutly no reason or justification behind their score, at least no descriptive enough, how about going into detail? Boring? Thats it? You have yet to learn about what it means to grade music, this album is Pink Floyd reincarnate. 473rd greatest album of all time, Too low. These critics are reliable people but people even discredit them without any evidence, so why do we even have a user score if 90% of them are completly bias. Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2011
    By far Coldplay's greatest work, beautiful, melancholy art rock from the mid of a mind who in no way sounds like Radiohead (as many assume) this album saved my life and brought me into the world of music
  5. Jan 22, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic masterpiece
    probably the best album of the whole decade
    not a single bad or weak song even "A Whisper" is amazing

and those who keep comparing Coldplay and Radiohead should shut up
  6. Oct 28, 2011
    This album is certainly Coldplay's best in my opinion. It is full of masterpieces and has a great mood to it. Best songs are "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "In My Place, "The Scientist", "Green Eyes" and "Politik".
  7. Sep 8, 2011
    This album is fantastic!!!! It's just an absolutely timeless classic, you can immerse yourself in their music and there are so many memorable tracks. Coldplay are an AWESOME group.
  8. Oct 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This puts all their other albums to shame. It starts off really good, but fades out a little towards the end. Improves upon 'Parachutes' in most aspects. Best songs: 'The Scientist', 'In My Place', 'Green Eyes'. Expand
  9. Sep 21, 2013
    Coldplay surpasses Parachutes with a bold, determined, and flawless album, A Rush of Blood to the the Head. The Scientist, Clocks, In My Place, A Whisper, and a Rush of Blood to the head are the frontrunners in this race and the rest are close behind. This race being musical greatness.
  10. Nov 16, 2011
    One of the best albums of the 00's. A fantastic follow up to their classic debut, this cemented Coldplays rep as one of the most consistent bands of the decade. 11 tracks, the majority of them are anthems. Starts with the brooding Politik, followed by a string of hit singles. The beautiful Green Eyes is at the heart of the record while the dark and soaring title track brings thingsOne of the best albums of the 00's. A fantastic follow up to their classic debut, this cemented Coldplays rep as one of the most consistent bands of the decade. 11 tracks, the majority of them are anthems. Starts with the brooding Politik, followed by a string of hit singles. The beautiful Green Eyes is at the heart of the record while the dark and soaring title track brings things crashing towards an end before the gentle Amsterdam gently see's us off. Everything about this record is good, production, songs, musicianmanship, running time. Even if your one of those people who hate the band because thats the trendy thing to do, you can't help but love this record. Expand
  11. Nov 4, 2011
    Best album by Coldplay to this day. Its the best tracks are "A Rush of Blood to the Head," "Green Eyes," "Scientist," and "Clocks." I recommend this masterpiece to anyone who wants to hear good music.
  12. Sep 29, 2012
    This is Coldplay's masterpiece. "Politik" and "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" are quality rock songs, the "The Scientist" and "Warning Sign" are some of the best melancholic songs you will hear, the sophisticated indie tracks, "Daylight" and "Whisper", are addictive, however, the best song on here is "Clocks". The hypnotic piano riff is heavenly. Breathtaking.
  13. Dec 9, 2012
    Not completely flawless but definitely Coldplay's finest album to date. Some of Coldplay's classics such as "Clocks" are in here amongst other tracks that are meaningful and sound great. Rush of Blood to the Head also finishes the album off wonderfully with the conclusive "Amsterdam".
  14. Apr 22, 2012
    A great album with great, relaxing songs on it, makes you just want to put it on repeat. I do find these songs catchy, and 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' may just be Coldplay's defining album. Key tracks: "In My Place", "The Scientist", "Clocks", "Warning Sign"
  15. Apr 22, 2012
    Lyrically, "A Rush of Blood..." isn't too far ahead of "Parachutes," but its composition is nearly flawless. With marvelous guitar riffs and great piano melodies, there is a depth to this album that isn't present in any of their other studio records. This is the closest a Brit album from the 2000s ever came to comparing to the epic rock motifs of Britain in the 1990s, namely Oasis, Blur,Lyrically, "A Rush of Blood..." isn't too far ahead of "Parachutes," but its composition is nearly flawless. With marvelous guitar riffs and great piano melodies, there is a depth to this album that isn't present in any of their other studio records. This is the closest a Brit album from the 2000s ever came to comparing to the epic rock motifs of Britain in the 1990s, namely Oasis, Blur, and early Radiohead, though in the end it does fall well short of those bands' works. Solid album however. Expand
  16. Dec 15, 2012
    A simply amazing album filled with tons of great songs. It's songs have variety, the lyrics are emotional, and all the songs are well balanced. This is an album that nearly anyone can enjoy and that I always enjoy singing along with. I would highly recommend it!
  17. Feb 4, 2014
    Born in 1996, Coldplay didn’t mess around. They got right down to business making music and building a fan base that would continue to flourish more than a decade after first sitting down in Parlophone Studios to record their journey through powerful piano ballads and haunting hi-hats.
    From their signature paint-splattered piano to lead singer Chris Martin’s British charm, Coldplay stepped into the spotlight in 2000 with the release of their single “Yellow.” If you weren’t able to see past the pantsuits and razor scooters of the early 2000s, you may have missed the early days of Coldplay. Not only did they cultivate their talents early, but they incubated ideas for years to come.
    Let’s take a look at their second album ever released, A Rush Of Blood To The Head. Opening with the track “Politik,” we can assume from the raging pulse of the drums and guitar that this album has a statement to make. The song begs its listener to “open up your eyes.” Sounding almost mechanical, this intense song is a change in sound from Coldplay’s previous album.
    As the album progresses, we move from eager rhythms to a more relaxed sound, a characteristic of Coldplay’s mellow yellow soul. Things slow down with the quixotic tune, “Clocks,” where Chris flexes his vocal chords to hit the higher notes. Again, there is a very distinct, driving rhythm that keeps you grounded in the song.
    By the time we get to “Green Eyes,” we’re more than half way through this eleven-track album. Coldplay couldn’t help but go back to their heart-warming roots. “Green Eyes” is a sincere acoustic ballad with subtle yet effective harmonies. It’s a nice break from the first few in-your-face tracks, but it’s also the turning point of the album.
    A Rush Of Blood To The Head is almost an emotional journey, laced with love, confusion and introspection. Once we’ve passed the emerald gem that is “Green Eyes,” things slow down even more with the echoing riffs of “Warning Sign,” which has a nostalgic sound we haven’t yet encountered in the album. “Warning Sign” pairs gentle riffs with a roaring truth, “I miss you.”
    The tracks from here on out are much more intimate and heart wrenching. The title track, “A Rush Of Blood To The Head,” rings with longing and desire. The song and album title itself are a good summary for the over-all effect of the album: a rush of blood to the head, an epiphany, an intensity.
    A Rush of Blood To The Head is more mechanical sounding than Coldplay’s first album, Parachutes. The golden-lit spinning globe on the album cover is a good indication of Parachutes’ warm acoustic sounds and dreamy melodies. Their first album was a great start to building their image as a British rock band, and it was almost more inviting in sound than A Rush Of Blood To The Head-— but I think that’s the point.
    While “Parachutes” is comparable to a dimly-lit café with the faint sounds of Sinatra drifting under the smell of freshly baked croissants, A Rush Of Blood To The Head is more like sitting in a fluorescently lit room in a mass-produced, lightly padded chair. While this may sound a little uncomfortable, it has impact, and that is the point of the album. Being cozy has its perks, but being uncomfortable can provoke important questions and evoke a whole new set of emotions.
    If you enjoyed the emotional progressions of A Rush Of Blood To The Head, I encourage you to listen to their other five, start to finish, and marvel at the emotional and mental journey they will take you on.
  18. Jun 4, 2014
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Chris Martin, although slightly unadept in writing lyrics, and his band of musicians, never fails to amuse and amaze for the second time. The best album of Coldplay, behind it is Viva La Vida.
  19. Apr 19, 2014
    A Rush of Blood to the Head is without a doubt one of Coldplay's crowing achievements. It features some excellent music, some of the best we've ever heard from Coldplay. I don't know if I would say this is my absolute favorite Coldplay album, it is one of the best of course, but one thing that puts me off about this album is that I am not a big fan of the album cover, I think it looks aA Rush of Blood to the Head is without a doubt one of Coldplay's crowing achievements. It features some excellent music, some of the best we've ever heard from Coldplay. I don't know if I would say this is my absolute favorite Coldplay album, it is one of the best of course, but one thing that puts me off about this album is that I am not a big fan of the album cover, I think it looks a bit bland, however I am not hear to judge the cd by it's cover, I am here to judge it by it's contents. AROBTTH is a excellent album and I think even non-Coldplay fans can enjoy it. My favorite tracks are "Politik", "God put a Smile Upon Your Face", "The Scientist", "Clocks" (This is actually one of my favorite songs of all time), "Warning Sign" and "A Rush of Blood to the Head" (the song). Expand
  20. Oct 14, 2014
    A pretty good album, not as good as Parachutes, but still good enough for me. It just bothers me that an album that seems so conceptual from the outside has no real theme or message running through it, but it's fun to listen to nonetheless. Some musical choices also confused me, such as the tracks Clocks and Daylight. They are both great songs, but they are consecutive on the album and useA pretty good album, not as good as Parachutes, but still good enough for me. It just bothers me that an album that seems so conceptual from the outside has no real theme or message running through it, but it's fun to listen to nonetheless. Some musical choices also confused me, such as the tracks Clocks and Daylight. They are both great songs, but they are consecutive on the album and use the same drum rhythm for their duration. I just didn't get that. Overall, great style and some tracks are great. Favorite track: A Rush of Blood to the Head Expand

1. Without the emotional resonance of Martin's voice at its most free, Coldplay's brilliantly minimal musical foundation has nothing to support. So it falters.
  2. Coldplay's new record is a little edgier, trancier, and more conversational than their last. It is called A Rush of Blood to the Head, and in waves and swells of major tunes and frisky then looping time signatures, that's just about the effect it has.
  3. But while the sound of this album is more expansive, the influences a bit less obvious, and the approach more varied, the guys forgot to tote along their initial strength: the songs.