8.4

Review this album

1. Nov 5, 2013
    [8.4] While clearly an experiment, it is a successful one. Its style is so wonderfully unusual, a style which not many musicians can pull off. It matches the description of art rock more than Spoon does, but doesn't sacrifice melody for glamorous production. It sounds very much like an electronic version of Spoon, being both clean sounding with some kind of punk-psychedelic atmosphere that[8.4] While clearly an experiment, it is a successful one. Its style is so wonderfully unusual, a style which not many musicians can pull off. It matches the description of art rock more than Spoon does, but doesn't sacrifice melody for glamorous production. It sounds very much like an electronic version of Spoon, being both clean sounding with some kind of punk-psychedelic atmosphere that I wouldn't usually expect to like. I wouldn't say that Divine Fits have much of a future, but experiments like this are much more accessible, and honestly, much steadier than the synthesizer-bloated Merriweather Post Pavilion. I much prefer Spoon, but this is a great record for an experimental group. Expand
  2. Jan 9, 2013
    I absolutely love Spoon so I was both excited and skeptical to give this a listen. Sure, it is only a side-project, but what if it gave me a sour taste on the musical magic that Britt often creates? As it would turn out, I am upset at myself for waiting this long to give it a shot. It is fantastic. It has a real 80's groove / vibe to it and it suits the musicians perfectly. After listeningI absolutely love Spoon so I was both excited and skeptical to give this a listen. Sure, it is only a side-project, but what if it gave me a sour taste on the musical magic that Britt often creates? As it would turn out, I am upset at myself for waiting this long to give it a shot. It is fantastic. It has a real 80's groove / vibe to it and it suits the musicians perfectly. After listening to the album the entire way through twice, back-to-back, there is only one song that I do not care for and sounds out of place - "What Gets You Alone". It is a rare thing to say that I enjoy an entire album from start to finish and this one almost achieved that feat. I would liken it to the Postal Service side-project Ben Gibbard had from Death Cab, only Postal Service was better than any Death Cab release on a whole, while the Divine Fits is a snug accomplice to the Spoon catalogue. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2012
    This is an excellent release! Favorite tracks: The Salton Sea and Like Ice Cream. All the tracks reward repeat listening. It definitely feels like a Spoon release.
  4. Sep 17, 2012
    As soon I started listening to this record, I was instantly hooked. Each track is consistently infectious and very catchy. It's a great collaboration between Britt Daniel and Dan Boeckner. All In All, Divine Fits is a great side-project from two great musicians. One of the best of the year. B+
  5. khw
    Sep 2, 2012
    I love Wolf Parade and Handsome Furs and was sad when they both fell apart in the last year or so. I was thrilled to hear that Dan Boeckner would be joining up with Britt Daniels (of Spoon) to make more music. Just listened to the entire album and now I'm listening to it again.......You can definitely tell which songs are more Spoonish and which are more heavily influenced by Boeckner andI love Wolf Parade and Handsome Furs and was sad when they both fell apart in the last year or so. I was thrilled to hear that Dan Boeckner would be joining up with Britt Daniels (of Spoon) to make more music. Just listened to the entire album and now I'm listening to it again.......You can definitely tell which songs are more Spoonish and which are more heavily influenced by Boeckner and if you like either, you'll enjoy the album.
    Highlights: For Your Heart, Baby Gets Worse.
  6. Sep 1, 2012
    Electric, cool and buzzworthy. Divine Fits isn't just a supergroup band, it's an attempt to revive alternative rock and of course, they're going on the right direction.
  7. Aug 29, 2012
    As a Spoon afficianado, this album is terrific and the influences of Spoon and Wolf Parade are pretty clear on many of the songs (Would that Not Be Nice and Like Ice Cream are Britt's for sure). I really liked the electronic pop on several songs (a la Drive Sountrack), but, they definitely made it their own. Overall, very groovy and relevant album - better than other recent collaborations.
  8. Aug 28, 2012
    Well-produced, cathartic, and jam-packed with tight, catchy hooks, 'A Thing Called Divine Fits' is a real winner that feels like Spoon if it were a dance band in the 80's. In a good way.

1. Oct 22, 2012
    Blessed with impeccable musical bone structure, nearly everything suits them. [Nov 2012, p.88]
    Each man delivers touches that are downright unique to their brand of music, but together, they carry a strong penchant for the greatness of indie rock. It's never groundbreaking, but it doesn't have to be either – A Thing Called Divine Fits celebrates music with terrific, yet humble, results.
  3. Oct 1, 2012
    The merger breathes welcome new life into both of their glorified shticks, though Brown will likely have serve a stint at the Keith Moon Memorial Flailing Rock Re-Education Camp before the Turks next reconvene. [No.91, p.53]