Abandon [EP] - Pharmakon
6.3

Review this album

1. Jul 4, 2013
    Margaret Chardier is a 22 New Yorker, she is Pharmakon, and she brings us Abandon.

The album is volatile and atmospheric, it is dark and uneasy, it is painful to listen to, but you never leave. It's like a haunted house, you go in knowing that you will be scared, that you won't like it, but it still fascinates you, it puts you, it entrances you into a state of awe.

The abrasive blood
    curdling vocals on "Milkweed/It Hangs Heavy" really puts you in the thick of it. This album is not a pretty glistening pop gem, it is dark noise with drone thrown about the mix of all the tracks. There feels like a lot of hurt and emotion in the vocals, with lyrics that may be indistinguishable, but I don't care because, unlike a lot of music that uses screaming over singing, in Metalcore for example, I still feel that they draw your attention, a cry out for help, a cry out in abandonment.

The album, with it's four tracks and one bonus track moves from strong song to strong song. It never feels heavy though, sure you have to be familiar with Noise Rock, and darker genres, maybe listen to SunnO))) but it is listenable, definitely not commercial or easily accessible, but I get enjoyment out of listening to this, a lot more than most records that seem to get lost in themselves.

With the short amount of tracks comes long running lengths. Each song, even in "Crawling on Bruised Knees" which is my favourite feels under-developed. It's only in the bonus track "Sour Sap", that lasts for almost half an hour where you get something on a grander scale, but that still feels like many songs in one.

This album is great though, I truly love listening to this. It takes you away from the stale of reality and puts you into a lonely dark hole and makes you love every minute of it. Overall, if your looking for an enjoyable dark journey that will haunt you, then pick it up.

1. Aug 7, 2013
    Abandon is quite short for a full-length album, but its physicality and intensity leaves the listener exhausted in a way that doesn't require further expansion.
  2. Jun 18, 2013
    Together these four pieces create a single, near-breathless listening experience, robust enough to envelop but varied enough to leave you both craving and curious for more.
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    Abandon is a baseline, with Chardiet demonstrating a solid understanding of the fundamentals. [No.99, p.59]