All That You Can't Leave Behind

• Release Date: Oct 31, 2000
8.0

Review this album

1. Jun 7, 2013
    This is music. One of the best albums in history. Once you press the play button, you will not be able to stop it. If you have good taste, that is. It unleashes with breakthrough hit "Beautiful Day", a strong super-inspired track. A song that makes you feel. A song that touches. Just like "Walk On", the most deep song on the album. "Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out" and "Wild Honey"This is music. One of the best albums in history. Once you press the play button, you will not be able to stop it. If you have good taste, that is. It unleashes with breakthrough hit "Beautiful Day", a strong super-inspired track. A song that makes you feel. A song that touches. Just like "Walk On", the most deep song on the album. "Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out" and "Wild Honey" mark U2's best pop moment, with their "sweetness at all". "Elevation" is rock song of the album. It's moving and shaking. It's strong. "Kite" is just as deep and beautiful as "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On". "A Little While", a pretty romantic song. A song that only U2 could make. Actually, this album is an album that only U2 could make.

The album moves into a dark zone. A "night zone", if you will. "Peace On Earth" and "When I Look At the World" have some of Bono's best lyrics, together with "New York", that strong track at the end of the album. So it all ends with quiet and calm "Grace", a beautiful meltdown. A beautiful closure to a beautiful album. And that feeling of willing for more. Willing to replay the entire album.

This is U2's finest work. Their greatest moment musically. No one ever got close to music perfection as they did here.
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    I grew up listening to this album. I cannot remember life before listening to any of these songs, and wish not to either. To those whom rate this with a zero, you have lost all respect from me.
  3. May 30, 2013
    Excelente Disco A 3 Obra Prima,Depois De The Joshua Tree E Achtung Baby.
    Top All That You Can't Leave Behind.
    1-Walk On
    2-Beautiful Day
    3-Kite
    4-Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    5-When I Look At The World
  4. ZackA
    Apr 2, 2005
    I thought it was timely and great!
  5. MauriceG.
    Feb 24, 2002
    There's no band in the world, other than U2 that can make feel so many things at the same time. Like EVERY single record they put out, they NEVER sound the same, always innovating. U2 IS THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD and they reaffirm it with every album, this one is no exception.
  6. WilliamS
    Sep 21, 2004
    Where is there diversity,this Album sounds and feels one-dimensional. beautiful Day may be their best song ever...
  7. JulianA
    Jul 28, 2006
    After a decade of performing for crowds of nearly one-hundred thousand people, U2 released "All That You Can't leave Behind" taking off the layers guitar and effects, and going back to their roots in the 1980's. The effect is a straightforward, graceful, and compelling album. Every song stands out, and the band has never played better.
  8. AngelaJ.
    Sep 10, 2001
    I absolutely love this cd! I like the fact that U2 has gone back to their basics. This album is chock full of strong and soulful songs that remind me of their beginnings in the 80's. Simple, yet strong lyrics and U2 is the best band ever!
  9. DavidM.
    Jul 5, 2002
    Why pick at a really good album. Look at what's out there and then look at this album. In a time where back street and britney are #1 on the billboard, how can you say one bad thing about this album.
  10. WalterB
    Jan 2, 2003
    It's one of the best albums I've ever listened to. It has great songs: One of the best bands ever.
  11. JohnB
    Jun 4, 2005
    A good album, if not anywhere near as good as their best. Beautiful Day is one of their best songs, and there are many strong tracks here. it's just.... not as cohesive or strong as a full album as Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, or The Unforgettable Fire. Anyway, anyone else find it a bit weird that there was a slew of 0 grades (0, really?) all proclaiming U2 to be sellouts? Whether A good album, if not anywhere near as good as their best. Beautiful Day is one of their best songs, and there are many strong tracks here. it's just.... not as cohesive or strong as a full album as Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, or The Unforgettable Fire. Anyway, anyone else find it a bit weird that there was a slew of 0 grades (0, really?) all proclaiming U2 to be sellouts? Whether they're sellouts is debatable, I just find it suspect that so many 0 grades were handed out in a row, all using the same predictable complaint, and the typical "what I say is final, period" type of reasoning. Expand
  12. SmokefreeRodriguez
    Jan 7, 2007
    Some of the best songs of the last 10 years are on this CD--U2's best album since Joshua.
  13. PeterF.
    Sep 4, 2001
    The Best Album I own!! It ROCKS!!! Back to their old stuff. I LOVE IT!!! Best Band Ever!!
  14. Baconboy
    Jun 14, 2004
    Through all the good and bad comments about U2, I have weathered them all and still come to the conclusion that you won't find as much substance in a so-called "Pop band" as you will in U2. Who else can conceive of such ambiguous lyrics that are so wordly, but yet hit home in your heart if you let them in? They are the most uncovered band in the world for a reason, they are so unique Through all the good and bad comments about U2, I have weathered them all and still come to the conclusion that you won't find as much substance in a so-called "Pop band" as you will in U2. Who else can conceive of such ambiguous lyrics that are so wordly, but yet hit home in your heart if you let them in? They are the most uncovered band in the world for a reason, they are so unique it hurts. Expand
  15. MaryP.
    Jun 5, 2004
    I've been a huge U2 fan since the '80s, and I don't understand all this "U2 going back to their roots" hype with ATYCLB. Sure, it's a solid album with some nice melodies, but I've come to expect just a little more than that from U2. Even the most emotional moments, such as "Kite," don't get under my skin the way songs from War, The Unforgettable Fire, The I've been a huge U2 fan since the '80s, and I don't understand all this "U2 going back to their roots" hype with ATYCLB. Sure, it's a solid album with some nice melodies, but I've come to expect just a little more than that from U2. Even the most emotional moments, such as "Kite," don't get under my skin the way songs from War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby do. And the lyrics, for the most part, simply don't measure up to Bono's previous work. They almost ruin the otherwise fantastic "Elevation." My favorite tune here is probably "In A Little While." I have the feeling Bono always wanted to be a soul singer like Marvin Gaye or Otis Redding, and I'll be darned if he doesn't nearly pull it off on this track. Well, at any rate I'm glad the album was such a huge commercial success if for no other reason than it might get some younger people interested in U2 and hopefully inspire them to check out some of their earlier work. Expand
    Apr 26, 2005
    The first half of this album would score a perfect 10 but once just past the halfway mark, it sounds more like U2 b-sides rather than album-quality material. Still, U2's b-sides are better than most bands' a-sides.
  17. AlbertoM
    Aug 16, 2005
    By returning to their roots without loosing edge, they've crafted their best album since "Achtung Baby".
  18. MC
    Dec 30, 2006
    for those who voted this badly- inexplicable how you could vote this zero, i can only imagine its for a bit of worthless attention because even a deaf rabbit could understand this is not as bad as you struggle to make out. Admittedly not their greatest, but even their average is fantastic and this isn't average. catchy, inspirational, excellently written, well produced and bloody for those who voted this badly- inexplicable how you could vote this zero, i can only imagine its for a bit of worthless attention because even a deaf rabbit could understand this is not as bad as you struggle to make out. Admittedly not their greatest, but even their average is fantastic and this isn't average. catchy, inspirational, excellently written, well produced and bloody enjoyable. If you have ever heard some of these songs live you will understand their brilliance, u2 continue to produce great records. Expand
  19. KevF.
    May 22, 2007
    This album has on it 2 tracks that for me mark highlights of U2's uniquely spiritual/soulful/philosophical take on the world they inhabit with the rest of us. Beautiful Day is song of soaring hope, faith, and reaching for something better. 'Take me that other place', a refrain which gives guttural voice to the experience of longing and hoping that expresses our humanity. This album has on it 2 tracks that for me mark highlights of U2's uniquely spiritual/soulful/philosophical take on the world they inhabit with the rest of us. Beautiful Day is song of soaring hope, faith, and reaching for something better. 'Take me that other place', a refrain which gives guttural voice to the experience of longing and hoping that expresses our humanity. That other place means many things to many people, but the needing to get there is the same for us all. Kite is an opus of loss and departure. Edge incredibly captures and expresses the deepest of all human emotion in this song, the why, the oh no, the heartbreak and the dignity of our fragile existence. Just listen to what he plays throughout the track. It's as moving as anything I have ever heard. Especially when you consider the lyric, and the background to the track, uncertainty, fragility, and the loss of Bono's father. This for me is why U2 are universally appealing. In a belting stadium sounding way, they are able to uniquely in my opinion, capture, experience and reflect human emotion. All of their albums contain much of the above, but this album, next to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, represents this special band perfectly. Expand
  20. PaulT
    Jan 25, 2010
    A gorgeous, deeply inspiring collection of heartfelt music. U2 not only made a comeback with this album, they created a masterpiece that will lift your soul and break your heart. Bravo!
  21. Valentina
    Dec 5, 2001
    I haven't to say many words, only: it's MAGIC MUSIC
  22. AdamE
    Nov 25, 2002
    Definitely U2's best album. The songs are all beautiful, well written and melodic. An excellent album: Buy it now!
  23. BB
    Nov 7, 2003
    U2 is quite simply the best rock and roll band of all time. The rolling stones? Give me a beak. Maybe someday U2 will get the media attention they deserve. I am sick of hearing so much hype about the beatles and the rolling stones. U2, with there explosive popularity and awesome music making over the last 20 years, now deserves to be in the same class as those other bands. However, you U2 is quite simply the best rock and roll band of all time. The rolling stones? Give me a beak. Maybe someday U2 will get the media attention they deserve. I am sick of hearing so much hype about the beatles and the rolling stones. U2, with there explosive popularity and awesome music making over the last 20 years, now deserves to be in the same class as those other bands. However, you hardly here about them in the popular news media. The media must be run by 60 year old men. Expand
  24. mickeyP
    Dec 5, 2003
    U2 are STILL one of the greatest rock bands to ever emerge. This CD, as with all their others has the power to move it listeners. There are some uneducated people who will can only appreciate blunt music which pierces the eardrums. However U2 will continue to be one of the greatest bands this world has ever seen.
  25. mickeyP
    Dec 5, 2003
  26. DaveM
    Mar 11, 2005
    an absolute classic!!
  27. RH
    Mar 22, 2006
    U2 stripped to the essentials. Not what everyone was expecting, but one of the most moving albums I've ever heard. In fact, it's still the best of the current decade.
  28. anthonya
    Mar 29, 2006
    a very solid collection of tunes in a simple back to basic style. Seems to be like an apology after years of wild experimentation. songs such as walk on and beautiful day, Kite, when i look at the world and in a little while are definite classics in their song book but awful lyrics in Peace on earth (where i grew up there weren't many trees, where was we tore them down to use them on a very solid collection of tunes in a simple back to basic style. Seems to be like an apology after years of wild experimentation. songs such as walk on and beautiful day, Kite, when i look at the world and in a little while are definite classics in their song book but awful lyrics in Peace on earth (where i grew up there weren't many trees, where was we tore them down to use them on our enemies) amongst other songs prevent this from being a great album. too many high and low. Expand
  29. scottw.
    Aug 19, 2007
    Every song on this album is fresh, vibrant and fool of life, and is done U2 style. One of U2s best and one of the best albums ever made. Its truly a pop rock album with lots of hits. Bono and the Edge show that they were fare from finished, in this big come back album for the band.
  30. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    All That You Can't Leave Behind is a timely album and important one. However it's hard to look away from the records short comings as a whole. Elevation and Wild Honey keeps the LP grounded from great status.
  31. Jun 15, 2012
    After a decade of experimentation and the poor reception received by their last record "Pop", there was definite pressure on U2 to make an impression with this record but they certainly thrived on it. The opening sequence of tracks 1-4 is, along with The Joshua Tree, as strong as you'll ever find anywhere. The album maintains the quality levels throughout with absolutely gems like "In aAfter a decade of experimentation and the poor reception received by their last record "Pop", there was definite pressure on U2 to make an impression with this record but they certainly thrived on it. The opening sequence of tracks 1-4 is, along with The Joshua Tree, as strong as you'll ever find anywhere. The album maintains the quality levels throughout with absolutely gems like "In a Little While" and "Wild Honey". The only disappointing song on this for me was "Peace on Earth" which is preachy and sappy and gives a reminder why so many people dislike Bono. One of U2's best records which at the time brought them back to centre stage and returned to them the status of biggest band in the world. Expand
  32. Sep 28, 2012
    One song encapsulates this album in my opinion, the single 'Walk On', one of their greatest song, albeit a bit under appreciated. Great album, a bit unbalanced (the first 4 songs were some of their best works, the rest not so..). Not in the same level as 'Joshua Tree' or 'Achtung Baby' but still a classic rock album.
  33. Mar 3, 2016
    Fazendo alusão ao passeio que U2 teve no que vinha a anteceder o “All That You Can’t Leave Behind”, a banda irlandesa assume no título do seu novo trabalho que não deveria jamais abandonar o seu estilo presente em obras grandiosas como “Achtung Baby”, “The Unforgettable Fire” e “The Joshua Tree”. Aqui o rock característico da banda aparece de forma predominante, mas sem grandes novidadesFazendo alusão ao passeio que U2 teve no que vinha a anteceder o “All That You Can’t Leave Behind”, a banda irlandesa assume no título do seu novo trabalho que não deveria jamais abandonar o seu estilo presente em obras grandiosas como “Achtung Baby”, “The Unforgettable Fire” e “The Joshua Tree”. Aqui o rock característico da banda aparece de forma predominante, mas sem grandes novidades ou inovações. Os vestígios de música pop e eletrônica dos seus últimos discos “Zooropa” e “Pop” aparecem presentes em faixas como “Elevation”. O disco é bem politizado e chega a soar genérico (rimas de fly com sky) e talvez a melhor surpresa do álbum fica por conta da ótima “In A Little While”. Expand
  34. Dec 25, 2014
    Excelente Disco A 3 Obra Prima,Depois De The Joshua Tree E Achtung Baby.
    Top All That You Can't Leave Behind.
    1-Walk On
    2-Beautiful Day
    3-Kite
    4-Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    5-When I Look At The World
  35. Aug 1, 2014
    Beautiful Day (9.25) I remember my Dad playing this song alot in the car when I was in middle school. And while it's new U2 I really love it because it's a great song to play if you are having a great day. The guitar riffs are great in the song. He talks about traveling and I feel when the change in the the lyrics hits and tone of the instruments change at the end is the best part. 'WhatBeautiful Day (9.25) I remember my Dad playing this song alot in the car when I was in middle school. And while it's new U2 I really love it because it's a great song to play if you are having a great day. The guitar riffs are great in the song. He talks about traveling and I feel when the change in the the lyrics hits and tone of the instruments change at the end is the best part. 'What you don't have you don't need it now' is my favorite line.

Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (8.5) I really like this song because it really raises the problem alot that people have letting things go that they care about. The tempo is soothing and calm and the vocals change throughout the song subtly and shows U2's artistic prowess. The main reason I gave this song a 8.5 was because of the unique subject it brought up.

Elevation (8.5) This song really has good use of electonica/synth guitar and the vocals in the beginning that Bono uses makes the song unique. How the chorus hits really is why this song is good I think. I think this is the the standard in why songs are deemed good by people who appreciate good music.

Walk On (9.25) I really love this song, especially when the the instruments hit in the beginning and those four guitar notes as well as the solo in the middle of the song. What I really take away from the title of the song and lyrics is to walk away from your problems and to try and maintain your sanity the best you can. I've tried to move away from Ohio with this song playing so many times and I can't. The whole identity of the song changes near the end and my favorite line Bono says is 'You've got to leave it behind.'

Kite (9) This song is really relaxing and soothing and the drop the guitar creates is really great throughout the song. The chorus is really great in this song and the accentuated notes really give this song alot of life. The solos are really awesome and when Bono really gets vocal later in the track really is great.

In A Little While (7.5) This track has alot of jazzy overtones and would be a really great track to listen to at a quieter volume if you needed to get work done or something. It remains pretty similar throughout the track but it still sounds good.

Wild Honey (7.5) This song kind of sounds Beatleish with the simple guitar chords in the backgrounds. How the electric comes in shortly after is neat I think. It reminds me of the track before this one because of the conservative instrumentals. The vocals get a little more interesting later in the track probably to keep it interesting.

Peace On Earth (8) Obviously the title of this song is great and the music associated with this track is very soothing and calm. The simple acoustics are great and they really match the song title with the music that was created. The calm electronica adds a great element to the song as well and keeps it interesting to the ear.

When I Look At The World (8.5) The beginning of this song has really cool sounding guitar riffs, along with the sounds U2 creates when the track picks up. The solo in the middle of the song is really awesome and shows the true genius between all the musicians that are associated with U2. The track calms down before the end.

New York (9) The cool, calm, and collected beat in the beginning of the song is really great. And the subtle guitar in the background lets you know the song is about to blow up. The title represents one of the greatest cities in the world. When the electric guitar hits, it adds that element to any successful song.

Grace (7.5) This song has a certain calming effect to it and is a good wind down to the album. The drums in the background do good setting a beat. The guitar is simple but does good adding to the relaxing effect the track gives to the listener.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet (8) This song is really great because it starts off very calm and really picks up and you really don't expect it if you've never listened to it. It is a good song to end the album because it kind of throws the listener off a little bit and kept me in an upbeat mood like maybe I want to go listen to more U2.
  36. Jul 6, 2015
    100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...................................................excelentissimo
  37. Oct 21, 2015
    ATYCLB 7.8 NLOTH 8.1 No.... No Line On The Horizon isn't better than this and isn't better than HTDAAB too... this album marks the return of sucess of U2.. An Amazing album with light songs....
  38. Jul 20, 2015
    ......................................................................14 votos a serem anulados aqui (negativos) e 81 votos a serem anulados no How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004),
  39. Dec 30, 2015
    These 14 negative reviews are irrelevant and fool Metacritic delete them...........................................................................................
  40. Apr 2, 2016
    .................................................................................................Deserves from critics a +81% 'Universal Acclaim" Holy **** 79% is Bull ****
  41. May 11, 2016
    ................................................................................................................................................................U2 AT HIS Best
  42. Sep 30, 2016
    The end of a long line of U2 classics. As U2 releases disappointing albums now like No Line on the Horizon and How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, it's nice to revisit an album full of expertly crafted pop rock.
  43. Dec 22, 2016
    All That You Can't Leave Behind Is the best U2 Album since Achtung Baby (1991)!!!!

Great melodies & lyrics it's beautiful album, and a Beautiful achieviment to U2,
    It's a Beautiful Day for the History of U2!!!! Back at his best!!!!

1. Stepping outside of their natural environment ensured their longevity in the '90s, stepping back in seems to have given them a fresh boost. For all Zooropa and Pop's pushing of the envelope, limiting themselves to rock's core ingredients has given the band a new challenge. Certainly, not since The Joshua Tree have U2 sounded so like U2 but, with songs of this startling calibre, right now being U2 is no bad thing.
  2. All That You Can't Leave Behind is a rock record from a band that absorbed all the elastic experimentation, studio trickery, dance flirtations, and genre bending of Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop -- all they've shed is the irony. U2 also chooses not to delve as darkly personal as they did on Achtung or Zooropa, yet they also avoid the alienating archness of Pop, choosing to return to the generous spirit that flowed through their best '80s records.
  3. Despite the almost universal hyperbole that has greeted 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', this is no masterpiece. Certainly not by U2's stratospheric standards.