Always - Xiu Xiu
7.6

Review this album

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Xiu Xiu's always is, in my opinion, a (very early) contender for album of the year. This is Jamie Stewart's most accessible album by a mile, yet he manages to maintain every bit of his artistic integrity in the process. Highlights include first single "Hi," "Joey's Song," and "Chimney's Afire (Mickensian Suicide)". Honestly, however, I had a really hard time choosing three standouts, asXiu Xiu's always is, in my opinion, a (very early) contender for album of the year. This is Jamie Stewart's most accessible album by a mile, yet he manages to maintain every bit of his artistic integrity in the process. Highlights include first single "Hi," "Joey's Song," and "Chimney's Afire (Mickensian Suicide)". Honestly, however, I had a really hard time choosing three standouts, as the album is consistently enjoyable throughout. Xiu Xiu is one of my favorite bands, and I know their music isn't for everyone. However, this is a pretty good entry point if you're new to them. Also try "Women as Lovers." If you'd like to hear why I fell in love with them in the first place, check out track #2 from "Fabulous Muscles," the unforgettable "I Luv the Valley OH!" Expand
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    Jamie's Stewart psychedelic vocals combined with the album's style give it a much experimental overtones. Ballads such as "The Oldness", "Black Drum Machine" are holdig all the time in indescribable, almost terrifying anticipation. On the other hand, the compositions of "Hi" or "I Love Abortion" is not at all inferior. Strong lyrics and original style are the greatest advantages of the album.

1. Apr 12, 2012
    A mix of ping-ponging bangers ("Hi," "Born To Suffer"), touching, presumed-true stories ("Joey's Song," "The Oldness") and two skip-now shockers dedicated to monstrous worthlessness ("I Luv Abortion," "Black Drum Machine") [No.86, p.60]
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    Nothing's taboo in the surreal, often Fellini-esque reality [Stewart] concocts on the endlessly fascinating Always. [Mar 2012, p.81]
  3. Mar 16, 2012
    It's not all politico-provocation; pretty duet Honeysuckle and minimalist piano ballad The Oldness counterbalance the more outspoken moments nicely. [April 2012, p.107]