• Record Label: Domino
  • Release Date: Sep 10, 2013
8.5

Review this album

1. Jul 23, 2017
    My first Arctic Monkeys album and I love it! It's one of those albums that I can just put on and won't have to skip songs. Everyone praises "Do I Wanna Know?", "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?", and "R U Mine?", but completely gloss over gems like "I Wanna Be Yours" and "Arabella". I strongly recommend this album to anyone who wants to get into Arcitc Monkeys' music.
  2. Jul 10, 2017
    Knee Socks - 8
    I Wanne Be Yours - 10

score: 9,1
  3. May 11, 2017
    When AM first released it was a nationwide phenomena. Arctic Monkey season was in full swing and you could barely move without being bombarded by hype. Over three and a half years later the album seems less excitable than it once was, its glossy sheen seeming to wear away a little as time accumulates.

As a collection of tracks, AM is very good. It has a confident and deliberate

As a collection of tracks, AM is very good. It has a confident and deliberate aesthetic that it sticks true to throughout, flowing nicely between songs and moods to deliver a complete collection that feels whole and realised. The opener, 'Do I Wanna Know', is an extremely strong beginning track that feels dark and moody, its stomping bass line carrying it for the duration of its four minutes as it slowly builds to a theatrical, explosive conclusion. The fast pace of 'R U Mine' is compelling also, followed by 'One For The Road' which makes obvious its hip-hop inspirations.

The mood softens by the mid-way mark, with 'Number One Party Anthem' and 'Mad Sounds' bringing the party down a little, only for it to resurface later with 'Why Do You Only Call Me When You're High' and 'Fireside'. This loose narrative feels natural, the change up of pace a welcome addition, and prevents it all from feeling overwhelming.

'AM' as an album is strong, but lacks a certain charm that the Arctic Monkey's have revelled in on previous works. As the distance between the present and its initial release widens, this feels ever more-so. 'Arabella' taking more than its fair share of influence from 'War Pigs' by Black Sabbath, 'I Want It All' feels uninspired and distinctively filler, and the sound can sometimes seem a little too well blended, with some songs feeling very similar. The rapid pace, originality and distinctive British charm of the bands first two albums is hard to come by here, for better or worse, and makes AM feel a far away project from the bands roots.
  4. Dec 23, 2016
    On the surface, AM can sound like your typical rock album with catchy hits and a few 'deeper' songs to balance things out. Arctic Monkeys are not this band, and they did not make this album. Instead, what they made was a tribute to Rock N' Roll. They take us back to the period of music where rock was upbeat and sexy. They took us back to Elvis, and to the era of greased hair and leatherOn the surface, AM can sound like your typical rock album with catchy hits and a few 'deeper' songs to balance things out. Arctic Monkeys are not this band, and they did not make this album. Instead, what they made was a tribute to Rock N' Roll. They take us back to the period of music where rock was upbeat and sexy. They took us back to Elvis, and to the era of greased hair and leather jackets. The perceived simplicity of AM captures this perfectly, while still remaining fresh and original in the process.

AM is the sort of capstone project which people will point to decades later to say "that's the moment that music changed". If these next few years see the rise in leather-clad crooners with a penchant for cigarettes and dark party hits, you'll know why. Arctic Monkeys has become the band that sets the standard for everyone else.

But with this album, it's easy to focus solely on Alex Turner and forget that it's the music which makes the man. Matt Helders, in particular, shines on this album. R U Mine? has some of the most exciting drumming to grace the mainstream in years. The guitar solo in Arabella is irresistible. The bass is hot and heavy through the entire album, and this all culminates into one sound that is entirely cohesive.

Finally, this review wouldn't be complete without touching on the lyricism of this album. If you are looking for the same lyrical stylings of Favourite Worst Nightmare, look elsewhere. But just because these lyrics feel different doesn't make them inherently BAD. A better word is 'deceptive'. Remember that this is a tribute album to the greats, who created relatively simple music in the lyrical sense but broke new ground musically. Alex Turner was not writing a Bob Dylan album, but rather, an Elvis album. And to do that, you have to rely on your words in different ways.

What gives him away, however, is the cleverness of it all. When Turner says "simmer down and pucker up", he creates equal opposites - the same sort of literary device found in the most sophisticated poetry out there. When he sings "Forever isn't for everyone, is forever for you?", my English Lit-trained heart heaves a heavy sigh of pure joy. And the album is filled to the brim with lyrics like these; lyrics which sound simple but are infinitely more difficult to write than most of us can imagine.

Even as Alex Turner croons in Arabella "take a sip of your soul and it sounds like", he invokes a sense and then Jamie Cook comes in to finish the thought. If you study poetry, you know just how intense these lyrics are, and just how impressive it is that Turner managed to show his ability while remaining true to the spirit of 50s rock.

It's clear that AM reaches higher and travels further than any of its predecessors. What is unclear is how anyone could feel otherwise.
  5. Dec 18, 2016
    The album has three of the best indie rock songs of all time ("R u mine", "Do I Wanna Know" and "Snap out of it") but some other songs are just regular. Overall the album is a very good album, but i wouldn't call it more than that.
  6. Sep 17, 2016
    Despite being my third favourite Arctic Monkeys album, AM is the one that changed my life forever.
    As a kid, my older brother and dad played "Whatever People Say I Am..." and "Favourite Worst Nightmare" around the house a lot. I liked the songs a lot. A couple of years later, "Humbug" was released, of which I heard only one track played around the house: "Crying Lightning". The year after "Humbug", I took up guitar. A year after that, "Suck It And See" came out, but I didn't pay too much attention to it, despite liking the tracks. I quit guitar for a while, but then came Glastonbury 2013. That performance changed my life completely. Three years later, I still think of it as one of the best live performances I've ever seen. I quickly took it upon myself to listen to every Arctic Monkeys song ever to feature on an album in the months leading up to AM. On September 10 2013, I fell in love for the first time. This album is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.
    I apologise for my life story.
    Best tracks: The first 4, No. 1 Party Anthem, Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High, Knee Socks and I Wanna Be Yours are the best.
    Worst tracks: Only Mad Sounds falls ever so slightly behind, but I still absolutely love it.
    If for some reason you want to know what happened after the release of AM, keep reading.
    So, I picked the guitar back up, and now I am constantly told how brilliant I am for my age.
    I got really into music and decided it was what I wanted to do.
    And I mean I got REALLY into music.
  7. Sep 9, 2016
    This is a fantastic record, and I thought a completely unexpected twist for the band. They took the rock sound from the last couple of albums, knocked it up a notch in a few songs (Do I Wanna Know and R U Mine of course), added some catchy falsetto chanting and sprinkled in some interesting older influences. The vocals seriously comes into its own on this album, I realised how fantasticThis is a fantastic record, and I thought a completely unexpected twist for the band. They took the rock sound from the last couple of albums, knocked it up a notch in a few songs (Do I Wanna Know and R U Mine of course), added some catchy falsetto chanting and sprinkled in some interesting older influences. The vocals seriously comes into its own on this album, I realised how fantastic the style and lyricism have become in this record. Expand
  8. Sep 9, 2016
    This is the best album you will listen to all year long. An absolute masterpiece from the Monkeys. They never fail to amaze with each album, constantly delivering pieces of pure genius but even for Alex Turner this propels him to an ever greater legendary status. 'AM' seems to have gained the Monkeys universal acclaim and got them the recognition and success they fully merit! It's easilyThis is the best album you will listen to all year long. An absolute masterpiece from the Monkeys. They never fail to amaze with each album, constantly delivering pieces of pure genius but even for Alex Turner this propels him to an ever greater legendary status. 'AM' seems to have gained the Monkeys universal acclaim and got them the recognition and success they fully merit! It's easily the most accessible of all their albums with such a range of and variety of emotions on show. Lead track 'Do I Wanna Know' kicks 'AM' off is fabulous fashion. It immediately draws you in and will have you playing it over and over again on repeat (Till you fall asleep?) and instant hit for sure. But from there they burst into an already cult classic for fans 'R U Mine?' It's a proper tune. And will have you rising to your feet and just chanting along. 'One For The Road' then takes you in a different direction, it's an unusual track from Arctic Monkeys. At it's roots seem an R&B rhythm mixed with 'Humbug' elements making for a splendid song. 'Arabella' is lyrically majestic! From interstellargator skinboots to helter skelters.. It's just an abundance of talent poured into one amazing tune which ends up erupting into rock guitar and banging drums. Track number 5, 'I Want It All' despite not being on pat with the majority of other songs on the album it's smart lyrics and delivery makes it enjoyable. Next, 'No.1 Party Anthem' which is in deep contrast as to what you'd expect from the name of the song. It's much more gentle and laid back and eases you into 'Mad Sounds,' A beautiful, slow, ballad-like, easy on the ears and catchy. 'Fireside' which features Bill Ryder-Jones rediscovers a rockier edge detailing Turner's doomed past encounters with a loved one. The second single, 'Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High' is another fantastic track. Nick O'Malley kills it on bass guitar with an addictive sound and punchy chorus. 'Snap Out Of It' is another standout track. This one is very catchy and instantly noticeable! From it's upbeat intro to relentless chorus. Sure to be a favourite on tour. Arctic Monkeys always have a tendancy to end things in an excellent manner and AM is no different. 'I Wanna Be Yours' is a seductive and stunning song originally by poet John Cooper Clarke but performed masterfully my the Monkeys gushing out some wonderful lyrics. Expand
  9. Sep 3, 2016
    9.0
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  10. Mar 20, 2016
    Songs- 8,9/10
    Album flow- 10/10
    Whole album- 9,8/10
  11. Feb 4, 2016
    With a presentation that has never been so slick, AM is the definition of a slow burn LP. With the speed dial turned all the way down, soaring falsettos and a greater emphasis on bass have instead lifted the arctic monkeys to new heights. if it were not so drowned in reverb, that would otherwise offer greater contrast, the album would have been even better.
  12. Jan 14, 2016
    The boys are back, only this time - THEY ARE MEN! The cool methodical underline tone of the album grips you from the start. Gone is the beloved quick-witted rap speak that thrust the band into the spotlight, but what we have in return are well thought out luring lyrics that seems impeccably placed in every sentence. The evolution is evident to see that the Arctic Monkeys have let theirThe boys are back, only this time - THEY ARE MEN! The cool methodical underline tone of the album grips you from the start. Gone is the beloved quick-witted rap speak that thrust the band into the spotlight, but what we have in return are well thought out luring lyrics that seems impeccably placed in every sentence. The evolution is evident to see that the Arctic Monkeys have let their music organically grow and the end result if a captivating fifth record. Expand
  13. Oct 13, 2015
    fgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfggggggggggggggggggg Expand
  14. Oct 13, 2015
    Poor and weak **** for hipsters and tumblr fans. I don't understand how could they make such a boring album. I can't remember any of these songs. Maybe only two first singles - they were quite good but it's not the same Arctic Monkeys I liked.
  15. Sep 9, 2015
    This is the album that propelled the Arctic Monkeys to the mainstream. However, it seems that the Arctic Monkeys made a trade-off between exposure and originality. AM drifts further away from their indie-rock roots, sounding more like imitators of their former selves. Although the record is catchy, I hope this is not the new direction the band is taking. Although some songs are clearlyThis is the album that propelled the Arctic Monkeys to the mainstream. However, it seems that the Arctic Monkeys made a trade-off between exposure and originality. AM drifts further away from their indie-rock roots, sounding more like imitators of their former selves. Although the record is catchy, I hope this is not the new direction the band is taking. Although some songs are clearly filler songs, every song on the album compliments each other, creating a pleasing, coherent album as a whole. Each song has a slightly laid-back vibe, although some songs start to sound similar after a few repeated listens. Overall, AM is a great indie-rock record that is musically and lyrically solid. Expand
  16. Apr 11, 2015
    It is funny. It is dark. It is good. The lyrics, the vocals, the melodies are pretty interesting and pretty good! It's a rock album, but you'll find here some R&B too.

17. Apr 7, 2015
    Palmas ao Arctic Monkeys por trazer uma nova sonoridade á este novo álbum, oque atrapalha é que o AM é o meu medo de que a imagem de rock bad boy, com o vocalista extremamente sexualizado se torne algo que extrapole o limite, oque vem acontecendo desde Suck It And See, mas a reviravolta é extremamente bem vinda (em relação á sonoridade).
  18. Apr 3, 2015
    vou ser sincera nao gostei muito pois tem musicas muito rock n roll , nao gosto muito de rock n roll , eu so baixei o albúm pq o alex turner é gostoso pr crlh , e tmb pq gosto muito de arabella !! um 10 pra vc
  19. Jan 3, 2015
    In AM, the band has finally found a perfect balance between crude and suffered melodrama and high rocky moments to cheer up and tear down in equal (and strategic) positions. But what makes this album their best is the elegance, artistry and maturity in developing and expressing feelings, through complex and yet easy and catchy structures and simple melodies. This is not only a return toIn AM, the band has finally found a perfect balance between crude and suffered melodrama and high rocky moments to cheer up and tear down in equal (and strategic) positions. But what makes this album their best is the elegance, artistry and maturity in developing and expressing feelings, through complex and yet easy and catchy structures and simple melodies. This is not only a return to the old Monkeys; it's a consecration. Expand
  20. Dec 17, 2014
    There is a term that many, myself included, use to describe an incredibly phenomenal album. That term is "lightning in a bottle", when all the right things happen when making an album that results in a perfect storm of incredibly solid songs from start to finish. Most bands are lucky if they get ONE album like that. Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age, as well as Blue Album andThere is a term that many, myself included, use to describe an incredibly phenomenal album. That term is "lightning in a bottle", when all the right things happen when making an album that results in a perfect storm of incredibly solid songs from start to finish. Most bands are lucky if they get ONE album like that. Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age, as well as Blue Album and Pinkerton by Weezer, are generally considered to be within this category of greatness. Obviously this is a personal opinion, but I feel that AM is easily "lightning in a bottle". Every song is either catchy as all Hell, centered around heavy and satisfying riffs, or romantically indulging, with many of the songs being 2 or 3 at once. This is my first taste of Arctic Monkeys, and it was a pretty **** good taste. 10/10, will be listening to their other albums now. Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2014
    Bro, listening to this album forced me to take up smoking and wear leather jackets everyday. But anyway man like great album, changed my life for the best (I think)
  22. Sep 9, 2014
    First: It isn't the best Arctic Monkeys album, this comes from a person that is a faithful fan of Whatever People....

Second: It is better than the last album, Suck it and See doesn't have all the fruitful elements that AM does, but maybe Humbug does have a level with this one. Third: It is overall a great album. Arctic Monkeys are at their peak, they are the biggest rock band in the

Third: It is overall a great album. Arctic Monkeys are at their peak, they are the biggest rock band in the world and they know it, and know how to assert.

AM is the result of an Alex Turner that writes like never before, semi-drug-influenced, but still with his distinctive style. The music is far from what, for example, Favourite Worst Nightmare could offer, with a more rocker mood and a strange but seductive combination of the last too albums. It still Arctic Monkeys and despite some flaws especially in the more low-tempo songs, it still a recommended rock album.
  23. Sep 7, 2014
    I heard of Arctic Monkeys a few months ago by a couple of friends who love their music. I wasn’t really interested to listen to this album at that time but as my music taste have been expanded over the summer, I gained interest into listening to Arctic Monkeys. It’s no wonder why this album has won so many awards including the BRIT Award for Best British Album of the Year as well asI heard of Arctic Monkeys a few months ago by a couple of friends who love their music. I wasn’t really interested to listen to this album at that time but as my music taste have been expanded over the summer, I gained interest into listening to Arctic Monkeys. It’s no wonder why this album has won so many awards including the BRIT Award for Best British Album of the Year as well as gaining more fans for the band which includes myself after listening to this album.

The best part of this album was the sound. I feel like a totally different person during the entire album. I feel like a cool person with a cigarette in my mouth (though I don’t encourage smoking) in a gig with a lot of people in the crowd and I blend in very well. I never expected to like this kind of sound considering I am quite a pop person myself.

The lyrics fits the sound of the album. Sure, the themes are not thought-provoking but I like the themes here which is about partying, a hot girl,etc., without them going through the cliches of exploring those kinds of themes.

The vocals from Alex Turner were great. He has the voice for a great rock band. He has that voice I want to hear from a rock song.

I sense that during production, Arctic Monkeys must have been experimenting some new stuff for this album and I like it when artists experiment. This makes me want to hear their previous albums which I will soon considering their sound was way different when they released their debut album.

I never expected that I would like all the songs from this album. This is quite rare so that means I really really really like this album.

If you’re wondering why Arctic Monkeys are considered the best band of their generation by some music critics, check this album out. Who knows? You might end up being a fan just like me.
  24. Aug 27, 2014
    lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
  25. Jul 29, 2014
    Anyone who likes music must check this out. Really. Its that good. It told me that music is not dead. So buy it. Or don't, if you hate music. There is someone out there. Just saying.
  26. Jul 22, 2014
    After two records that raised questions among fans of the bands early hit singles, Sheffield's coolest foursome return with what is essentially a pop masterpiece.
    AM, which has been a massive hit, is the bands most instantly gratifying album and has more hit singles than anything else they've done. "Humbug" was a tough but rewarding nut to crack. "Suck it and See" was pleasant enough but the band seemed a bit unsure of itself for the first time. AM is the opposite of these two albums. It's almost as if Alex Turner taught about what the masses would be looking to listen to in 2013, wrote an album based on his predictions and subsequently hit the jackpot.

The bands sounds has almost completely moved from their very brit-rock sounding debut to a very much American sound, which shouldn't be a surprise as the band now spend lots time there. Despite its pop values AM has plenty of the Arctic Monkeys best traits - epic songs, layers of ridiculously catchy melodies and even if there not Turner's best, clever lyrics. AM is indie guitar music given an "urban" feel through the presence of falsetto's throughout the album. Pretty much everything about this album is good - the songs, production, sequencing, playing and innovation. One of those rare albums that just doesn't have a bad track on it. Definitely one of the albums of 2013
  27. Jul 15, 2014
    The Arctic Monkeys continue to dip their spoon in a cup of nostalgia, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The sounds here are more controlled than previous efforts, very controlled in fact. The hooks catchy, Not jumpy, no rough spots. AM is a smooth experience and it’s a good time nevertheless.
  28. Jun 18, 2014
    The beginning of the album starts with two highlights: "Do I Wanna Know?" and "R U Mine" That both show originality as well as telling us that the band's talents haven't faded away over the years. With the unique voice provided by Alex Turner, it really takes a turn for Brit rock, but not dirty, filthy Brit rock. The production and Alex Turner's voice show us that we are getting a cleanThe beginning of the album starts with two highlights: "Do I Wanna Know?" and "R U Mine" That both show originality as well as telling us that the band's talents haven't faded away over the years. With the unique voice provided by Alex Turner, it really takes a turn for Brit rock, but not dirty, filthy Brit rock. The production and Alex Turner's voice show us that we are getting a clean cut album. The guitar riffs on R U Mine really get infectious. After the two highlight tracks, there is still no disappoint found after the two. The slick feel of "Arabella". Once the first half of the album is over, more mellow, downbeat songs come into place. The second half of the record shows that Arctic Monkeys aren't some crazy rock band, but a really lyrically, vocally, and instrumentally talented rock band that can deliver some deep emotional songs, and even on the track "Fireside" they stray into Coldplay territory, but do not fail one bit at the attempt. All in all, this album for someone who listened to Arctic Monkeys for the first time does not disappoint me. From the infectious guitar riffs, the smooth voice of Alex Turner, and the originality, Arctic Monkeys have captivated listeners young and old. Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2014
    The songs on the album are pretty good, they're catchy and enjoyable to listen. However, the songs kind of lack originality. Once you've heard one song, you've heard them all.
  30. Jun 12, 2014
    An amazing blend of rock, psychedelic rock, and alternative. AM stuns listeners with it's slow paced songs and the classic feel to it. It is without a question tracks like "Do I Wanna Know" and "R U Mine" help carry AM to becoming arguably one of the best rock albums in the least 20 years.

1. Q Magazine
    Jan 27, 2014
    AM continues a pattern, then: every couple of years, the Monkeys make a great album, sounding tighter and more telepathic with each release. [Oct 2013, p.97]
  2. Oct 4, 2013
    AM's a heavy seduction, restless and all the better for it.
    In the end AM not only signifies a career-defining moment that neatly places the band on a proper pedestal for all to admire--this is where not only Arctic Monkeys have come but in many ways, how they’ve masterfully conquered and continue to simply win.