• Record Label: Reprise
  • Release Date: Sep 21, 2004
8.8

Review this album

1. Jan 16, 2012
    Never been a big fan of Greenday before or since this record. I've always found them very average musically and borderline childish lyrically. This record however is very very good. Definitely GreenDay at their very best. apart from the singles there are half a dozen other excellent tracks on this.
  2. Feb 1, 2011
    American Idiot is a great album. From the opening punk-anthem "American Idiot" to the raw and powerful "Wake Me Up When September Ends". There is not a dull song on this album. This album is nothing like "Dookie". Completely different in every way. They sing about politics and America and Religion. Whereas in Dookie he sings about laziness and what not. It's really a big step in the rightAmerican Idiot is a great album. From the opening punk-anthem "American Idiot" to the raw and powerful "Wake Me Up When September Ends". There is not a dull song on this album. This album is nothing like "Dookie". Completely different in every way. They sing about politics and America and Religion. Whereas in Dookie he sings about laziness and what not. It's really a big step in the right direction. All In All, American Idiot is a great album and it shows that Green Day is a band to be taken seriously. B+ Expand
  3. j30
    Sep 21, 2011
    One of the best albums of the past decade. Amazing creative breakthrough. These songs will be playing on classic radio stations 20 years from now. It's interesting that a stolen demo tape lead them to one of their best albums of their career.
  4. Mar 9, 2012
    One of the best albums of the 2000-2009 decade. This album was a classic and it still is. I dont listen to it as much as i did in 2004 **** still the best album since Nirvana's Nevermind
  5. Apr 1, 2013
    Who would have thought that snotty-nosed punksters Green Day would create one of the greatest albums of the decade? After a period of critical and commercial polarization, the trio returned with a rock opera that -despite having a ridiculous plot- went on to turn Green Day into serious rock stars. All the songs are brilliant courtesy of Billie Joe's politically charged lyrics and theWho would have thought that snotty-nosed punksters Green Day would create one of the greatest albums of the decade? After a period of critical and commercial polarization, the trio returned with a rock opera that -despite having a ridiculous plot- went on to turn Green Day into serious rock stars. All the songs are brilliant courtesy of Billie Joe's politically charged lyrics and the group's sound as a whole. A must buy for everyone. Expand
  6. May 12, 2011
    i love green day and i like this album. it had a great storyline. it was easy to follow. the lyrics were okay. the music and the melodies were on point. t deserved the recognition at the grammy's
  7. Aug 31, 2012
    Great, wonderful, spectacular. It's the best Green Day album, my favourite. All 13 songs are very good, I can't find the worst. I think also Warning was very good, but American Idiot is great.
    No more words for such a masterpiece.
  8. Nov 21, 2010
    After years of hollow, uninspired guitar rock, this clever opus emerged as an instant classic. American Idiot delivers inventive hooks along with socially conscious lyrics, making this album stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to almost every other rock album of the era. It would be hard to dislike this album unless you were biased against the band for some other reason. The fact isAfter years of hollow, uninspired guitar rock, this clever opus emerged as an instant classic. American Idiot delivers inventive hooks along with socially conscious lyrics, making this album stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to almost every other rock album of the era. It would be hard to dislike this album unless you were biased against the band for some other reason. The fact is that rock music is almost completely dead, and American Idiot may end up being the last truly great rock album. Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2011
    A lot of the songs on here are interminably long (i.e. "Jesus of Suburbia", "Homecoming"), but every single act in this musical rock opera is constructed to perfection and unbelievability.
  10. Aug 14, 2010
    The Return of Green Day.

The Return of Green Day.

Ever since Dookie, Green Day has been one of the forefront punk rock/alternative bands in pop music. However in the years leading up to this album, their popularity had significantly faded. Punk rock fans really lost interest. The music didn't change much. Green Day themselves showed signs of musical decay with poor albums like Warning and Nimrod. They started work on an album called Cigarettes And Valentines. But in the middle of those sessions, the master tapes had been stolen. Rather than use copies of the original, Green Day started a new concept which materialized into American Idiot.

From the start, Green Day proves they aren't soft guys. On the title track, they blast off criticism of American media, saying how its falsehood has influenced us to become like, well, idiots. But that's the intro. Over the course of the album, one can finally understand the magnificence of the album because even though the sound is conventional, its themes and structures is unique.

It is essentially a rock opera divided into several acts. Each act explains the character's emotions and journey. But the story itself isn't well made. The sound varies too much and the plot is really lost in the midst of musical genius. The tale isn't quite clear as it should be. Each act seems like a random piece of the character's journey rather than sequential chapters that make sense. For one thing, midway through the album Jesus Of Suburbia calls himself St. Jimmy for no reason. Then in Homecoming, he claims that persona is now dead. The whole idea of American Idiot is somewhat lost in the story.

But Green Day has put the punk back in punk rock with an album that works more as a collection of good songs rather than the rock opera as proposed.
  11. Mar 21, 2015
    I would say Dookie is their best album but this isn't bad. I would say Dookie is their best album but this isn't bad. I would say Dookie is their best album but this isn't bad.
  12. Jun 2, 2013
    "American Idiot" Uma Obra Prima Dos Anos 2000.
    Com Temas Essenciais Como Politíca,Injustiça,Morte E Desemprego.
    Duas Longas E Excelentes Ópera De Rock Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming. As Punk Rock Essência Do GD American Idiot,Holiday,St Jimmy,She's A Rebel,Letterbomb E As Longas Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming E As Fundamentais Baladas De Rock Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,Are We The
    "American Idiot" Uma Obra Prima Dos Anos 2000.
    Com Temas Essenciais Como Politíca,Injustiça,Morte E Desemprego.

Duas Longas E Excelentes Ópera De Rock Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming.

E As Fundamentais Baladas De Rock Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,Are We The Waiting,Give Me Novacaine,Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends E Para Encerrar Com Chave De Ouro Whatsername

Top De American Idiot
    1-Boulevard Of A Broken Dreams
    2-Holiday
    3-Letterbomb
    4-Homecoming
    5-Jesus Of Suburbia
  13. Nov 26, 2011
    This album is nothing short of amazing. You can stay in denial, but really it was one of the last mainstream albums that wasn't filled with fillers and had a single catchy single. The lyrics are great, and I literally spent about 4 hours analyzing Holiday and its metaphors and allusions. The album's ''intro'' American Idiot is short and straight-forward, a brilliant opening for the epicThis album is nothing short of amazing. You can stay in denial, but really it was one of the last mainstream albums that wasn't filled with fillers and had a single catchy single. The lyrics are great, and I literally spent about 4 hours analyzing Holiday and its metaphors and allusions. The album's ''intro'' American Idiot is short and straight-forward, a brilliant opening for the epic that is Jesus of Suburbia. The main body of the album is consistently amazing, with the exception of ''Letterbomb'', which i just didn't like. The greatest part of this album, however, is one I ignored until just recently. The last two songs, Homecoming and Whatsername are in my opinion the greatest way to close an album as amazing as this. You'd think Whatsername takes the Slow, Nostalgic road, but then completely changes direction.

What I like the most about this album is the fact that while having a definitely toned-down punk sound, it's definitely NOT pop-punk, due to the fact that Green Day build their songs with a much more complex structure, and don't act greedy with their riffs and melodies: They'll pack as much into one song as possible.

And to people calling their style ''simplistic'' and ''cheap'', know that Green Day's complexity comes from their chord progressions. If you look at this album, you'll notice that there aren't any 4 chord songs, and if there are, they're only part of a longer song. They are pretty diverse in that aspect, and i'd rather have them create substantial raw music than a pseudo-complex 4 chord song with great production.

TLDR: Great Album, no fillers, amazing themes, amazing lyrics, good guitar/drum/bass work, and great backup vocals. Green Day's best
  14. Jan 6, 2012
    While previous albums had their significance, American Idiot signaled the evolution of Green Day from simple Punk rockers to the some of the greatest storytellers of our era.
  15. Oct 4, 2013
    Amazing album that stands it test of time and still is a masterpiece almost 10 years into the future. Truly a classic. I would even go so far to compare this album to Nevermind by Nirvana or Abbey Road by The Beatles or IV by Led Zeppelin.All tracks are amazing but I would have to admit that the middle is not as good as the beginning and end but those tracks are awesome aswell! Track byAmazing album that stands it test of time and still is a masterpiece almost 10 years into the future. Truly a classic. I would even go so far to compare this album to Nevermind by Nirvana or Abbey Road by The Beatles or IV by Led Zeppelin.All tracks are amazing but I would have to admit that the middle is not as good as the beginning and end but those tracks are awesome aswell! Track by track: American Idiot 10/10 this power rocker starts up the album with a huge bang, still hears this song today on the radio or the tv. Jesus of Suburbia 10/10 this 9 minute rock-opera keeps my interest through the whole song. Holiday 10/10 Awesome! Nuff' said. Boulevard of Broken Dreams 10/10 another timeless classic that i still hear being played. Are we waiting 10/10 This 3 minute song is so epic! St.Jimmy 10/10 Fast paced fun! Here is where the album is getting a bit worse on the 4 following tracks: Give me novachine,Extraordinary Girl, Letterbomb. 9/10 but I love She is a Rebel 10/10. Wake me up when september ends 10/10 A truly beautiful song that Billie Joe wrote to his dad that passed away of cancer when Billie Joe was 10. He died in september and "Wake me up when september ends" is a reference to what BIllie Joe said on his fathers funeral. Homecoming 10/10 another awesome 9 minute
    rock-opera. Diverse and intense. Whatsername 9.5/10 awesome closer that sums up the album perfectly. Oh, did I mention that you should listen to the lyrics to truly understand the album. You see, this whole album is a story. This review turned up pretty long so I think I will end it here. You know what to do! Just listen to this already!!!
  16. Aug 5, 2011
    Absolutely, the best album of Green Day ever. The creative structure of the album, telling a story and the significant lyrics are really acclaimed. I will now highlight "Jesus of Suburbia"and "Homecoming", long songs with so much powerful punk concentrated which really make them an incredible masterpieces. One of the best album of the decade.
  17. CRL
    Jul 26, 2011
    No one saw this coming. Green Day makes a rock opera, and then that rock opera becomes one of the greatest of the decade. This album never lets up from the scorching prelude that is the title track, to the emotionally charged ending.
  18. Nov 6, 2011
    Great album it's was good that Green day grew out of it's childish style like previouse albums Kerplunk and Dookie (it was fun while it lasted) but this more hardcore rebellious sound seems to be working really well for the band, though it may appeal less to kids and teens because of political refrences I'm sure true punk rock fans will be proud.
  19. Jan 15, 2014
    may not even be the kings of punk rock (or post-punk, pop punk, or whatever), but left pretty and good messages in this album. A landmark in the 2000s and in the digital age, American Idiot is nothing more than a fact of American conflict, and musicality based on opera, is not bad either. Amazing how this album ages well and still current. Green Day is doing its job and very good.
  20. Dec 29, 2010
    Its quite interesting how alot of the people who give this low scores explain absolutly no detail into their justification of that score and instead just personally insults the band or anyone that listens to it, how can you trust the opinion of a person who believes that enjoying certain types of music is correlated to inteligence? Sometimes, I think metacritic should just keep theIts quite interesting how alot of the people who give this low scores explain absolutly no detail into their justification of that score and instead just personally insults the band or anyone that listens to it, how can you trust the opinion of a person who believes that enjoying certain types of music is correlated to inteligence? Sometimes, I think metacritic should just keep the unbiased reviewer magazine crtics and nothing more. Nothing wrong with this album. The opinion of the public can be quite distorted such as Justin Bieber, Alot of people hate him for his music and perhaps 40% of his haters hate him because the other 60% hate him and want to look cool (peer pressure). Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2011
    A very melted dry out album since the release of it, because of that hysterical hype back then, you wont feel nothing more to the rhythm etc. So yeah, I gave it a 8.
  22. Nov 9, 2011
    I don't know much about songs, but it doesn't take an American to realize how rocking out this music is, as well as the lyrics too.
  23. Jan 5, 2013
    When you think 'Rock Opera' this is the album that instantly comes to mind, and that is because it is a candidate for best album of all time. This is an album that took the world by storm in 2004 and 2005 and single handedly boosted Green Day's career to an absolute high, with singles winning awards and being tonnes of airtime, after all, everybody here has heard American Idiot, Wake Me UpWhen you think 'Rock Opera' this is the album that instantly comes to mind, and that is because it is a candidate for best album of all time. This is an album that took the world by storm in 2004 and 2005 and single handedly boosted Green Day's career to an absolute high, with singles winning awards and being tonnes of airtime, after all, everybody here has heard American Idiot, Wake Me Up When September Ends or Boulevard of Broken Dreams at least 10 times, and I highly doubt nobody is sick of ALL of those songs, let alone any of them. Overall, a wonderful album and a true masterpiece. Must buy! Expand
  24. Jan 5, 2011
    American Idiot is one of the best punk albums of the millennium. Insightful lyrics, terrific singing, excellent guitar work, and more. Though not as great as Insomniac, it's still a wonderful 5 star album. Highlights: Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, Homecoming, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams.
  25. Jun 5, 2012
    After a long break since their last album, "American Idiot" proves to be their best album yet. Providing a new spin on a classic rock album, Green Day has proven once again why they are the biggest rock band in the world right now.
  26. Dec 23, 2012
    this is by far green day's best album, tunes like american idiot and boulevard of broken dreams i never get tired of listening to! this awesome album will always have a place in my itunes library!
  27. Apr 14, 2013
    American Idiot is a cool rock opera. I usually don't like rock operas, but American Idiot is cool. The title track is epic and it is the best song of the album, along with Holiday and Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The album is consistent. Talking about the rest of the album, I ,like St. Jimmy, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Are We The Waiting. I don't like Whatshername, as it is for meAmerican Idiot is a cool rock opera. I usually don't like rock operas, but American Idiot is cool. The title track is epic and it is the best song of the album, along with Holiday and Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The album is consistent. Talking about the rest of the album, I ,like St. Jimmy, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Are We The Waiting. I don't like Whatshername, as it is for me the worst of the album. To be honest I am not a huge Green Day fan. I don't like Punk. The songs are so similar. But I was surprised. It is a good album. Expand
  28. Jun 22, 2011
    With this album, Green Day turns into more of a punk rock band rather than punk. If ur disappointed, then dont be. They have finally found a genre that fits perfectly to them, and it rocks! Truly a work of art.
  29. Jan 27, 2011
    One of the best albums ever made by Green Day. All of their songs are amazing and have a great hook to them. Also, Billie Joe Armstrong has one of the best vocals ever and he's a great guitarist!!!!
  30. May 17, 2012
    This is the definition of perfection. It starts of with the energetic first single and title track American Idiot: 10/10. Next there comes the super epic Jesus of Suburbia: 10/10. The 3rd track off the album is Holiday (10/10) which leads right into Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is my second favourite song of all time and won the Grammy award for Record of theThis is the definition of perfection. It starts of with the energetic first single and title track American Idiot: 10/10. Next there comes the super epic Jesus of Suburbia: 10/10. The 3rd track off the album is Holiday (10/10) which leads right into Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is my second favourite song of all time and won the Grammy award for Record of the Year, I think. It fully deserved it: 10/10. Next comes Are We The Waiting (9/10) which is a slow track, but still really amazing. I look at it from 3 different points of view. First of all it's a good track. Then I sometimes take it as a kind of sow interlude in the album. Then I sometimes also understand it as an intro for the next fast track it leads right into: St. Jimmy (9/10). The 7th track off the album is Give Me Noavacaine which is kind of a bit slow like Are We The Waiting but again, really amazing: 10/10. She's a Rebel is the 8th track and is pretty fast-paced: 9/10. The 9th track is Extraordinary Girl. Sure, the verse isn't that convincing, but the chorus is just... Words can't express how great it is: 10/10. Next comes the epic Letterbomb. Just amazing: 10/10. Then there comes Wake Me Up When September Ends which opens quietly, with an acoustic guitar, finally evolving into an amazing song with solos, great melodies, and fantastic vocals: 10/10 Track 12 is Homecoming, a 9-minute epic just like Jesus of Suburbia: 10/10. The last track off American Idiot is Whatsername, evolving from a muffled guitar riff to an energetic, loud song: 10/10. Well done Green Day! Well done! There is NO bad track on this album. And I am realistic. Trust me, there is no bad song on this album at all. Expand
  31. Oct 27, 2014
    It's been 10 years since the initial release of Green Day's iconic rock-opera that arguably defined a generation of rock. The album shows far more diversity and complexity on every level than anything Green Day had done prior. That, and it's prettier political punk(ish) sound and theme put the band back into the limelight. The album features a far more political and anti-establishmentIt's been 10 years since the initial release of Green Day's iconic rock-opera that arguably defined a generation of rock. The album shows far more diversity and complexity on every level than anything Green Day had done prior. That, and it's prettier political punk(ish) sound and theme put the band back into the limelight. The album features a far more political and anti-establishment theme than anything the band had done before, but it was their least punk record. Diving into arena rock, power pop, and overall alt rock awesomeness while still sticking to the relatively simple multi power chord based sound they're known for, the album is a musical success. Who would have thought that Green Day of all bands would put out a 57min album with a coherent plot line, fleshed out characters, two 9+min tracks and do it with astonishing results. In years to come, this will be put alongside some of the greatest American albums of all time. Expand
  32. Sep 23, 2010
    Green Day's PR manager walks up to them one day and says "You guys are has-beens, but you're under contract for one more album, and I've got just the thing to make you hits, even at your old age! See, everybody hates President Bush now, and you guys can just ride that to the bank, right?" The band convened and decided they could by ripping off everything that made their 1994 album Dookie aGreen Day's PR manager walks up to them one day and says "You guys are has-beens, but you're under contract for one more album, and I've got just the thing to make you hits, even at your old age! See, everybody hates President Bush now, and you guys can just ride that to the bank, right?" The band convened and decided they could by ripping off everything that made their 1994 album Dookie a success, then loading it with political bullpucky. Kids ate it up, adults praised it, and three men who made their fortunes writing songs about masturbation and marijuana became the sages of the 21st century. God help us all. Expand
  33. Feb 1, 2011
    This album blew everyone away and opened the doors again for rock N roll! Amazing stuff! This is how rock operas should be played kids! American Idiot was truly an explosion by Green Day and you can hear the passion on every song on this album. Jesus of Suburbia is hands down one of the most amazing songs ever written. I'll never forget the first time hearing this amazing track and beingThis album blew everyone away and opened the doors again for rock N roll! Amazing stuff! This is how rock operas should be played kids! American Idiot was truly an explosion by Green Day and you can hear the passion on every song on this album. Jesus of Suburbia is hands down one of the most amazing songs ever written. I'll never forget the first time hearing this amazing track and being blown away. Almost seven years later this album holds up well and will remain a classic album in history! Expand
  34. Aug 23, 2011
    One of the greatest albums of all time it is helped by the high paced energy of st. jimmy and american idiot, the sober greatness of wake me up when september ends and boulevard of broken dreams, and most importantly the 9 minute epics homecoming and jesus of suburbia makes this one of those every once and a while albums that all 100% listenable 10 out of 10
  35. Feb 7, 2011
    This has to be my favourite album of all time, I listen to it religiously.

I love the storyline the album follows and the characters and how every song has it's own style and personality!
  36. Feb 22, 2011
    GREEN DAY IS BACK! After their multi-million selling album, "Dookie" they released three studio efforts and 1 complication record. They were good and if a Green Day fan they were great! But as most bands would break up after a hard spell, Green Day stuck together and put out the greatest album of the last 10 years. This is probably the best Rock Opera since The Who's "Tommy". With BushGREEN DAY IS BACK! After their multi-million selling album, "Dookie" they released three studio efforts and 1 complication record. They were good and if a Green Day fan they were great! But as most bands would break up after a hard spell, Green Day stuck together and put out the greatest album of the last 10 years. This is probably the best Rock Opera since The Who's "Tommy". With Bush about to serve another four years and the Iraqi war going strong Billie Joe's lyrics sum up all the frustration the younger generation had bottled up at that time. Green Day still has evidence of their punk past on songs like "St. Jimmy" and "She's A Rebel". They show their maturity on the two 9 minute epic songs "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming". The two best songs on the album are the anti-war "Holiday" and the Grammy Award winning "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"! Expand
  37. Jun 15, 2013
    American Idiot is one of my favorite albums of all time. The music is great and the messages from the songs are ones I can agree with. A quick message to everyone that is mad about Green Day calling Americans "idiots": We are, now chill.
  38. Aug 9, 2011
    Greatest album of all time , jesus of suburbia shows every teen dream of living his life . With this album green day reborned rock and american idiot became a simbol for the new generation of rock fans
  39. Mar 8, 2011
    Make sure ur sitting down when u start playing this song! other wise the sound of amazing punk rock will blow u back on your ass! Every song on this album is moving and sheer quality, no song lacks anything, when u listen to a song, you dont go, "that was pretty good, but i like _ better" every song feeds off the other. each song is different and better than the last in certain ways. iMake sure ur sitting down when u start playing this song! other wise the sound of amazing punk rock will blow u back on your ass! Every song on this album is moving and sheer quality, no song lacks anything, when u listen to a song, you dont go, "that was pretty good, but i like _ better" every song feeds off the other. each song is different and better than the last in certain ways. i could listen to this album all the way thru 3 times in a row. Its moving, its got class, and it will make any music being played the radio right now look like complete garbage. this is what the people have been waiting for! not some autotuned garbage. This Is American Idiot! Expand
  40. Apr 9, 2012
    Not nearly as good as some of their older stuff such as Dookie, but this is still an excellent rock opera with a great plot, catchy tunes, and political undertones. Overall this is a great package, and the musical is great too. If you don't already have it (or even if you do), I suggest getting the American Idiot Cast Version of the album, as it has some extra tracks.
  41. Aug 22, 2012
    I haven't heard all of Green Day's albums but this might be their best. Some people think it's a masterpiece and others think it sucks. It's rare for fans to disagree that much but in my own opinion I think American Idiot is a classic, if not a masterpiece. There is not one weak song on this album. Some fans may not like it because they like the old Green Day better but for most bands toI haven't heard all of Green Day's albums but this might be their best. Some people think it's a masterpiece and others think it sucks. It's rare for fans to disagree that much but in my own opinion I think American Idiot is a classic, if not a masterpiece. There is not one weak song on this album. Some fans may not like it because they like the old Green Day better but for most bands to survive they have to change in some way. My favorite tracks are American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, St. Jimmy, Letterbomb, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Homecoming, and Whatsername. That is almost all of the songs. Call me whatever you want for loving this album, I don't care. Looks like most of the critics agree with me anyway. Expand
  42. Sep 27, 2012
    Punk perfection! Every song is powerful, catchy and meaningful. It may be a complicated story but once you get the story it is awesome! Other than Dookie, this is Green Day's best offering.
  43. Feb 2, 2014
    The pinnacle of Punk-rock. Lyrically brilliant, fantastic meanings behind some of the songs, a great story behind the entire rock-opera, and unlike many albums, it's truly involving (I was looking up Jesus of suburbia and Saint Jimmy for hours last night! I even changed my steam name), and musically amazing. By far the best album out there, and it takes a lot for me to say that. Truly perfect.
  44. Oct 5, 2014
    This album is arguably the best album of Greenday portraying the life of a drug-abused teenage with a self-proclaim title "Jesus of the Suburbia". I just don't know what happen in the end of his journey. Even years has passed by, I am still excited when they sing the title track " American idiot "
  45. PhillipR
    Sep 24, 2004
    I was absolutely shocked and disgusted at how disappointing this album was, as this was recommended to me bya friend with normal good taste in music.
  46. Rev.Rikard
    Oct 7, 2005
    Most bands struggle to write songs combining hard edged rock and melodic hooks. This album is the best in years at ensnaring the listener with blistering energy, relevant cultural observations, and melodies that "stick" in one's ear. "Novocaine" is indicative of this album's strength: its soothing melody allows the angst-laden lyrics to catch us off-guard, like the unexpected Most bands struggle to write songs combining hard edged rock and melodic hooks. This album is the best in years at ensnaring the listener with blistering energy, relevant cultural observations, and melodies that "stick" in one's ear. "Novocaine" is indicative of this album's strength: its soothing melody allows the angst-laden lyrics to catch us off-guard, like the unexpected stick from a dentist's needle as we sleepily listen to piped-in music. If a person wants to be awakened at the "end of September," they should give American Idiot a listen. Expand
  47. SolK
    Mar 3, 2005
    A solid album, but not deserving of 10 or 9. Yes, the "Broken Dreams" does get old after a while but every other song is just as good.
  48. JohnsonH
    Apr 5, 2005
    Awesome album, though I believe it is a little front heavy. I find myself listening to the first 7 tracks over and over.
  49. AngusM
    May 5, 2005
    this cd is like a manic depressive: happiness turns to sadness so quickly GREEN DAY ROX
  50. DanielS
    Mar 30, 2006
    Green Day is, in my opinion,the best band in the world!!
  51. chrisf
    Oct 10, 2004
    Best album in years by a band that sounds like a band "drums, bass, guitar". Billie Joe has always had a knack of writing catchy punk-a-rock songs and here is no exception yet they add a storyline and politics to the groove. Sheryl Crow said immediately after Dookie hit "only 19-20 year olds could write songs like that"... maybe so but only Billie Joe and Green Day could have wrote these Best album in years by a band that sounds like a band "drums, bass, guitar". Billie Joe has always had a knack of writing catchy punk-a-rock songs and here is no exception yet they add a storyline and politics to the groove. Sheryl Crow said immediately after Dookie hit "only 19-20 year olds could write songs like that"... maybe so but only Billie Joe and Green Day could have wrote these songs and they rock !! Expand
  52. Tyler
    Oct 10, 2004
    This album is in my opinion one of their best, if you don't own a copy get one now.
  53. StevenI
    Oct 2, 2004
    The Best Green Day Album to date, Billy Joe and the gang prove that it is possible to take multiple influences from other bands and still create a unique and catchy album. While some may dismiss this album as "messy," this couldn't be farther from the truth, as American Idiot smoothly tells its provocative story through addictively complex songs.
  54. S.Toncray
    Oct 6, 2004
    Just buy it... now! Sublime stuff. The perfect punk headtrip. Wildly original and one of the most timely albums to come out in a long time!
  55. SarahT
    Oct 6, 2004
    This CD is tottaly awsome. I love the music. Green Day have done a super album. I love it.
  56. yolandam
    Oct 8, 2004
    i love this album it rocks. anyone who rates less than ten is mad.
  57. MatthewM
    Sep 30, 2004
    As a Green Day fan for over ten years, I have to say this is almost certainly their best album to date, FANTASTIC!
  58. drewm
    Jan 8, 2005
    never reviewed an album before...probably won't do it again. an amazing record. that begs for repeated listening with big volume. The funny thing is I never reeally liked Green Day's music before.
  59. deew
    Feb 16, 2005
    it was an awesome cd i think there best so far!!!
  60. IngvildSomething
    Mar 8, 2005
    American Idiot rocks!!! It is the best Cd ever. Can anybody disagree of that?! I love Green Day!
  61. LeannN
    May 3, 2005
    American Idiot is an absolutely amazing album, every song is strong and it is refreshing to be able to listen to an CD that contains no filler tracks. Green Day has burst back into the music scene after four years with their best effort yet, and that is saying alot! :)
  62. SethH
    Aug 30, 2005
    fantastic album that illustrates the best that a concept album can.
  63. KonalD
    Jan 23, 2006
    Awsome , this is Green Day's best album to date.It's a stunning experience to listen to these meaningful songs.
  64. KyleN
    Jan 6, 2006
    Pure genius this album really shows that the government are totally wrong
    Oct 11, 2004
    Best Green Day album, the band finally reaching a level plateau of pop-punk prowess.
  66. WinonaK
    Oct 13, 2004
    Utter shite. do not listen to this crap. I love REM
  67. shoun
    Oct 19, 2004
    Great album! The Green Day's "London Calling".
  68. bent
    Dec 20, 2004
    holy shit it's good
  69. Nickcooldaddy
    Oct 26, 2004
    I was blown away by this album, it covers the whole range of moods from heavy punk to soft and slow relaxing music. They've hit the big one with American Idiot.
  70. patc
    Oct 3, 2004
    its got it all. great album.
  71. GreenDayKicksass
    Oct 3, 2004
    WOW!!!! is I all I have to say... This is one of Green Day's best, if not best, CD's ever made!!! I've already got my tickets to see these guys live... amazing CD! Good work Green Day!
  72. rakxii
    Sep 22, 2004
    Don't they grow up so fast? No? well never mind American Idiot shows that Billiejo and co might have actually learned to read a newspaper or watched the news since releasing Dookie. This album shows that they realise life is not so one-dimensional as some of their earlier songs would have us believe. And don't get me wrong I liked those songs but there is something to be said Don't they grow up so fast? No? well never mind American Idiot shows that Billiejo and co might have actually learned to read a newspaper or watched the news since releasing Dookie. This album shows that they realise life is not so one-dimensional as some of their earlier songs would have us believe. And don't get me wrong I liked those songs but there is something to be said for music that people can relate to. I must admit when I first heard about this album I was worried. Greenday going political was either going to be really good or really naff. Fortunately I feel, this is a really good. I imagine many people will disagree with me about this because it doesn?t sound like everything else ever written by Greenday. But frankly if it did, people would complain that Greenday were just too scared to try something new. The two 9min marathons 'Jesus of Suburbia' and 'Homecoming' show a different style of music, something kept out of mainstream ears for years. While 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' is dark and grunge-like while not becoming a cliché. As for the Greenday 'puritans', there is still plenty of more classic punk on offer. 'Holiday' is a fantastic song, while keeping to a similar (if not darker) sound to that of previous Greenday albums. There are other obvious tracks such as 'St. Jimmy' and of course 'American Idiot' that strike a similar tone and stick in the mind over certain other tracks. Many people have criticised American Idiot for being similar to music by The Who or Clash. I pondered this and figured that I had never listened too much by those artists so could not possibly comment on that front. However I do think that Greenday's target audience for the album is 17+, How many 17yr olds (such as myself) do you know who listen to The Who? Infact, how many 28yr olds do you know who listen to The Who? So to sum up, this album has come from a mature, older Greenday but is no doubt of high a quality to be enjoyed by anyone with the patience to sit and really listen, for Greenday fans it will be the case of doing what they did and 'trying something new'. Expand
  73. JustinS.
    Sep 22, 2004
    This album is a huge artistic leap for Green Day, in terms of lyrics, concept, and musical ambition. Their best album - yes, better than Dookie.
  74. SteveM
    Sep 24, 2004
    A big messy sprawl of power, melancholic sentiment, anger, confusion, love, rebellion. Fantastic stuff. Green Day's best album yet. Stunning.
  75. PunkyMcpunkerFunkypunky
    Sep 25, 2004
    This album has made itself a special spot in my heart and I have been waiting for it for four years. For those who are looking for another masterpiece like "Dookie" might be a little disappointed, but I believe this is the most thought provoking Green Day album yet, you should go pick it up, I don't care who you are. I walk a lonely road!
  76. SaeedSaeed
    Sep 29, 2004
    Its been four long years since Green Day?s last effort and lot of things changed since then: Four punk icons died, Bush as President, Gulf War Part 2 and what some may argue as the most distressing event ? the rise of kiddy punk which is been played to great success by the likes of Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne and those twats from Busted. If we ever need an album that Its been four long years since Green Day?s last effort and lot of things changed since then: Four punk icons died, Bush as President, Gulf War Part 2 and what some may argue as the most distressing event ? the rise of kiddy punk which is been played to great success by the likes of Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne and those twats from Busted. If we ever need an album that re-affirms our faith in punk music surely this Berkley trio can deliver it and with American Idiot, Green Day?s seventh record, not only have they fashioned a punk-rock opera but a punk-rock masterpiece. Concepts albums is a swear word in this currently pop oriented market but in Green Day?s hands they have delivered the friendliest concept album ever recorded. There is no fat ladies singing, nor is there a choir or pretentious ten minute guitar solos. What you have here frankly is thirteen songs that are all laced with great hooks and delivered with indignant passion. And oh yeah?.two of the songs are nine minutes suites that frenziedly careens from straight up punk ravers to 60?s bubblegum pop to a flamenco styled power ballad. All from the guys who made their name by writing songs about sniffing glue and masturbation! The tale been spun here is about disaffected youth and the death of American Idealism. That?s only the overview for if you decide to take the lyrics literally it becomes a mess with characters such as Jesus of Suburbia and St. Jimmy morphing into each other and by the story?s end you don?t know who is alive or who?s dead. Thankfully, the band decides to pay more attention to the music rather than the words and the album benefits in spades. Green Day packs more hooks in this album than other bands can muster in their whole career. Title track and killer lead single ?American Idiot? proves that Green Day can still fashion pop nuggets by only using 3 chords and the thrashy fun of ?St. Jimmy? shows that these thirty something punks haven?t lost their chops just yet. Like their last album, the folk-infused Warning, the real surprises lie in the different musical elements and styles the trio incorporates into their work. Unlike The Offspring who continually and sometimes embarrassingly copy the same formula (Pretty Fly/Original Prankster), Green Day?s music continues to evolve to often stunning results. ?Extraordinary Girl? with its chiming guitars and backing vocals evoke the Shangri La?s and ?Boulevard of Broken Dreams? is the type of power ballad that Noel Gallagher would kill for. But the most outrageous efforts lay in ?Jesus of Suburbia? and ?Home Coming?, both nine minutes monoliths that boast several musical movements. At first listen these two tracks (that roughly form a third of the album) seem scattered at best but once absorbed the listener gets a kick out of the time changes and the sheer urgency of the lyrics. To call ?American Idiot? a protest record is an understatement. Billie Joe?s lyrics does a great job in describing the characters inhabiting this ?land of make believe?. From ?Jesus of Suburbia? who is raised ?on a steady diet of Soda Pop and Ritalin? to ?St. Jimmy? who is ?here to represent the needle in the vein of the establishment?. Billie Joe is also not scared to vent his anger especially on tracks such as the anti-Bush anthem ?American Idiot? and the Clash sounding ?Holiday? where he labels Bush as ?the President Gasman!?. American Idiot is not the first rock opera ever made despite claims from some sections of the media. Husker Du?s ?Zen Arcade? still remains a landmark punk concept album and there is off-course The Who?s ?Tommy? which sold squillions of records. But American Idiot is equally impressive and over time will stand in the same pantheon as the aforementioned classics. In a time where the whole world seems to go pear shaped and death robbed us of our punk idols (RIP Joe Strummer, Joey, Dee Dee, and Johnny Ramone) Green Day?s existence is now more vital than ever. With ?American Idiot?, Green Day has not only released their greatest and grandest musical statement. But an album that returns the social and political relevance back to punk. For that, there is no rating high enough. Expand
  77. LarissaM
    Sep 30, 2004
    i love this album its brilliant ... i cant get enough of it
  78. DominicS
    Sep 30, 2004
    Don't get me wrong - it's a good, solid album. But there is no way that it lives up to the extensive hype it's being given. Especially given their political views - I just feel that this album is getting excess acclaim because it is _fashionable_ to be anti-imperialist these days. If you don't consider the political message, they just aren't making good music on Don't get me wrong - it's a good, solid album. But there is no way that it lives up to the extensive hype it's being given. Especially given their political views - I just feel that this album is getting excess acclaim because it is _fashionable_ to be anti-imperialist these days. If you don't consider the political message, they just aren't making good music on this album. Expand
  79. RonL
    Oct 14, 2005
    Insane good. One of the best albums to come along in years. It's a total wake up call for all the junk that seems to make it's way on to the american airways.
  80. urafrenchybob
    Jan 14, 2005
    the best cd ever!!!!!!!!! Who gives about cussing when they have a frickin awesome story line. ALL YOU PARENTS WHO GIVE ABOUT SWEARS DONT LET THAT STOP UR KIDZ OR NE1 ELSE FROM GETTIN THIS CD.
  81. SamD
    Oct 2, 2005
    Wow. And I thought Dookie wasd tops. Music is finally edgy as opposed to grungy and the lyrics are AMAZING plus its fun to listen to the story line. love whatsername and letterbomb, while st. jimmy pushes the limits between punk and pop a little far lost a little bit of the green day charm with the edgy music, though... still awesome!
  82. JeffP
    Jan 20, 2005
    Absolutely one of the best albums this year. This is nothing short of a masterpiece and shows how very talented this group is. If nothing else, their 6 grammy nominations proves that this album a great one.
  83. MarcW
    Jan 25, 2005
    It s a masterpiece especially the lyrics
  84. NathanG
    Jan 4, 2005
    Superb.
  85. MoB
    Feb 13, 2005
    Best CD I've heard in a long ass time. Highly recommend buying it. My parents even bought it!
  86. BrendonFromLA
    Feb 16, 2005
    Is this a original work? Hardly. Sounds like the guys in Green Day have listened to their fair share of Cheap Trick, U2, the Who, the Clash, and Husker Du. Still, it's executed with a lot of passion, energy and vitrol -- and that's what comprises a great deal of very good rock and roll. The first LP in a long time to make me stay in my car and finish listening to it after my Is this a original work? Hardly. Sounds like the guys in Green Day have listened to their fair share of Cheap Trick, U2, the Who, the Clash, and Husker Du. Still, it's executed with a lot of passion, energy and vitrol -- and that's what comprises a great deal of very good rock and roll. The first LP in a long time to make me stay in my car and finish listening to it after my evening commute home -- in fact, I've NEVER done that before. Nice one! Expand
  87. StevenP
    Feb 4, 2005
    Cannot stop listening1 Politics aside, it's a melodic energy force that can't be resisted.
  88. danw
    Apr 5, 2005
    This cd is amazing and I cannot wait to see them live!
  89. ChrisD
    Apr 7, 2005
    Undoubtedly their best album so far - they'd been going downhill anyway, but this album puts even the old classic singalongs to shame.
  90. ChristyL
    May 10, 2005
    best album yet by green day. the lyrics are great the beat is septacular, and the f*** u to politics makes it even better. if u dont love this what do u love?!
  91. AshM
    May 31, 2005
    Well... what a great album, I think this one will stand the test of time and people will be buying it in 30 years time, there isn't one track that stands above the rest on the album, there all great, its very consistant, you wont find your self skipping through to find better songs. Oh yeah, all you people going 'Green Day R DA BEST' grow up you little trolls.
  92. JYeatman
    May 4, 2005
    Best album I've run across in the past few years.
  93. EmmaS
    May 9, 2005
    i av listened 2 greenday eva since i heard of thm a few years ago n i loved them then n still do now. anyone hu disses greenday are gonna get there face smashed in. Green Day rock n always will do. ;D
  94. sylvian
    Jun 16, 2005
    I used to think Green Day was ok, but now with the release of American Idiot I have finally awakened from my dazed sleep and realized that Green Day is easily the best modern band I know of. This album is absolutely spectacular! Holiday, BoBB, St. Jimmy, American Idiot, Shes a Rebel, they're all wonderful songs that I could listen t oover and over again! They never get old. Overall I used to think Green Day was ok, but now with the release of American Idiot I have finally awakened from my dazed sleep and realized that Green Day is easily the best modern band I know of. This album is absolutely spectacular! Holiday, BoBB, St. Jimmy, American Idiot, Shes a Rebel, they're all wonderful songs that I could listen t oover and over again! They never get old. Overall this masterpiece is easily one to go and buy. Expand
  95. JohnS
    Jun 16, 2005
    Incredible! This is undoubtedly on of the best albums I have ever listened to! I highly recommend this cd. Holiday and BOBB sre easily award winners!
  96. [Anonymous]]
    Jul 2, 2005
    Disappointing. Period.
  97. GreenDayFan
    Jul 7, 2005
    Although I love Green Day and have enjoyed every album since Dookie, American Idiot has clearly gone beyond even those. every song on the iis good and you rarely end up enjoying every song on a CD. There are too many exellent songs to point out just one but "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is truly a great song along with "Jesus of Surburbia" and "Homecoming". I think that this "rock opera" Although I love Green Day and have enjoyed every album since Dookie, American Idiot has clearly gone beyond even those. every song on the iis good and you rarely end up enjoying every song on a CD. There are too many exellent songs to point out just one but "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is truly a great song along with "Jesus of Surburbia" and "Homecoming". I think that this "rock opera" is reminicent of the ever ecclectic Queen of the 1970's and early 80's. They are truly the best in punk rock genre going well beyond the mold of punk rock is supposed to allow. So congradulations to Green Day on thier best yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  98. Rufus
    Aug 10, 2005
    This is an epic that will last generations. Excellent!!
  99. larryc
    Aug 4, 2005
    this is awesome i listen 2 it every day
  100. EdC
    Aug 5, 2005
    While not an insanely complex album, American Idiot is a an excellent and creative album. It shows that Green Day finally grew up.

1. It is exactly what the band needs to boost itself to the next level of pop-punk prowess.
  2. There's still plenty of spunk in to be found in this Sgt. Pepper-lite.
  3. Not only does it contain Green Day’s finest songs (and choruses) to date... but it also scratches at the surface of political dissatisfaction with nails sharp enough to leave a nasty scar.