American Idiot

• Release Date: Sep 21, 2004
8.9

Review this album

1. Jan 16, 2012
    Never been a big fan of Greenday before or since this record. I've always found them very average musically and borderline childish lyrically. This record however is very very good. Definitely GreenDay at their very best. apart from the singles there are half a dozen other excellent tracks on this.
  2. Feb 1, 2011
    American Idiot is a great album. From the opening punk-anthem "American Idiot" to the raw and powerful "Wake Me Up When September Ends". There is not a dull song on this album. This album is nothing like "Dookie". Completely different in every way. They sing about politics and America and Religion. Whereas in Dookie he sings about laziness and what not. It's really a big step in the rightAmerican Idiot is a great album. From the opening punk-anthem "American Idiot" to the raw and powerful "Wake Me Up When September Ends". There is not a dull song on this album. This album is nothing like "Dookie". Completely different in every way. They sing about politics and America and Religion. Whereas in Dookie he sings about laziness and what not. It's really a big step in the right direction. All In All, American Idiot is a great album and it shows that Green Day is a band to be taken seriously. B+ Expand
  3. j30
    Sep 21, 2011
    One of the best albums of the past decade. Amazing creative breakthrough. These songs will be playing on classic radio stations 20 years from now. It's interesting that a stolen demo tape lead them to one of their best albums of their career.
  4. Mar 9, 2012
    One of the best albums of the 2000-2009 decade. This album was a classic and it still is. I dont listen to it as much as i did in 2004 **** still the best album since Nirvana's Nevermind
  5. Apr 4, 2016
    ................................................................................................................................................................A Masterpiece!!!!!!!!
  6. May 12, 2011
    i love green day and i like this album. it had a great storyline. it was easy to follow. the lyrics were okay. the music and the melodies were on point. t deserved the recognition at the grammy's
  7. Aug 31, 2012
    Great, wonderful, spectacular. It's the best Green Day album, my favourite. All 13 songs are very good, I can't find the worst. I think also Warning was very good, but American Idiot is great.
    No more words for such a masterpiece.
  8. May 11, 2016
    .........................................................................................................................Fantastic Album Masterpiece...................
  9. Apr 25, 2016
    When I first listened to one of the songs like "American Idiot" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends". I was expecting this album will be great. When I ordered a vinyl of this album. I was stunned of their songs. The songs are rocking good, and also chilling. I highly recommend new Green Day fans this album.
  10. Nov 21, 2010
    After years of hollow, uninspired guitar rock, this clever opus emerged as an instant classic. American Idiot delivers inventive hooks along with socially conscious lyrics, making this album stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to almost every other rock album of the era. It would be hard to dislike this album unless you were biased against the band for some other reason. The fact isAfter years of hollow, uninspired guitar rock, this clever opus emerged as an instant classic. American Idiot delivers inventive hooks along with socially conscious lyrics, making this album stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to almost every other rock album of the era. It would be hard to dislike this album unless you were biased against the band for some other reason. The fact is that rock music is almost completely dead, and American Idiot may end up being the last truly great rock album. Expand
  11. Sep 10, 2011
    A lot of the songs on here are interminably long (i.e. "Jesus of Suburbia", "Homecoming"), but every single act in this musical rock opera is constructed to perfection and unbelievability.
  12. Dec 19, 2015
    This review may be slightly biased since this album did get me into music. However, I do think this album deserves this score. Every single on the album was great and among my favorites. Even the slower songs, we which I am usually not fond of. But Green Day managed to pull off a great rock opera. Cheers to them :)
  13. Aug 14, 2010
    The Return of Green Day.

The Return of Green Day.

Ever since Dookie, Green Day has been one of the forefront punk rock/alternative bands in pop music. However in the years leading up to this album, their popularity had significantly faded. Punk rock fans really lost interest. The music didn't change much. Green Day themselves showed signs of musical decay with poor albums like Warning and Nimrod. They started work on an album called Cigarettes And Valentines. But in the middle of those sessions, the master tapes had been stolen. Rather than use copies of the original, Green Day started a new concept which materialized into American Idiot.

From the start, Green Day proves they aren't soft guys. On the title track, they blast off criticism of American media, saying how its falsehood has influenced us to become like, well, idiots. But that's the intro. Over the course of the album, one can finally understand the magnificence of the album because even though the sound is conventional, its themes and structures is unique.

It is essentially a rock opera divided into several acts. Each act explains the character's emotions and journey. But the story itself isn't well made. The sound varies too much and the plot is really lost in the midst of musical genius. The tale isn't quite clear as it should be. Each act seems like a random piece of the character's journey rather than sequential chapters that make sense. For one thing, midway through the album Jesus Of Suburbia calls himself St. Jimmy for no reason. Then in Homecoming, he claims that persona is now dead. The whole idea of American Idiot is somewhat lost in the story.

But Green Day has put the punk back in punk rock with an album that works more as a collection of good songs rather than the rock opera as proposed.
  14. Jun 2, 2013
    "American Idiot" Uma Obra Prima Dos Anos 2000.
    Com Temas Essenciais Como Politíca,Injustiça,Morte E Desemprego.
    Duas Longas E Excelentes Ópera De Rock Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming. As Punk Rock Essência Do GD American Idiot,Holiday,St Jimmy,She's A Rebel,Letterbomb E As Longas Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming E As Fundamentais Baladas De Rock Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,Are We The
    "American Idiot" Uma Obra Prima Dos Anos 2000.
    Com Temas Essenciais Como Politíca,Injustiça,Morte E Desemprego.

Duas Longas E Excelentes Ópera De Rock Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming.

E As Fundamentais Baladas De Rock Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,Are We The Waiting,Give Me Novacaine,Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends E Para Encerrar Com Chave De Ouro Whatsername

Top De American Idiot
    1-Boulevard Of A Broken Dreams
    2-Holiday
    3-Letterbomb
    4-Homecoming
    5-Jesus Of Suburbia
  15. Oct 29, 2015
    American Idiot, a punk rock opera centering around the Jesus of Suburbia, is probably Green Day's second best album next to Dookie. There are only a few barely noticeable problems. All in all, a good album.
  16. Nov 26, 2011
    This album is nothing short of amazing. You can stay in denial, but really it was one of the last mainstream albums that wasn't filled with fillers and had a single catchy single. The lyrics are great, and I literally spent about 4 hours analyzing Holiday and its metaphors and allusions. The album's ''intro'' American Idiot is short and straight-forward, a brilliant opening for the epicThis album is nothing short of amazing. You can stay in denial, but really it was one of the last mainstream albums that wasn't filled with fillers and had a single catchy single. The lyrics are great, and I literally spent about 4 hours analyzing Holiday and its metaphors and allusions. The album's ''intro'' American Idiot is short and straight-forward, a brilliant opening for the epic that is Jesus of Suburbia. The main body of the album is consistently amazing, with the exception of ''Letterbomb'', which i just didn't like. The greatest part of this album, however, is one I ignored until just recently. The last two songs, Homecoming and Whatsername are in my opinion the greatest way to close an album as amazing as this. You'd think Whatsername takes the Slow, Nostalgic road, but then completely changes direction.

What I like the most about this album is the fact that while having a definitely toned-down punk sound, it's definitely NOT pop-punk, due to the fact that Green Day build their songs with a much more complex structure, and don't act greedy with their riffs and melodies: They'll pack as much into one song as possible.

And to people calling their style ''simplistic'' and ''cheap'', know that Green Day's complexity comes from their chord progressions. If you look at this album, you'll notice that there aren't any 4 chord songs, and if there are, they're only part of a longer song. They are pretty diverse in that aspect, and i'd rather have them create substantial raw music than a pseudo-complex 4 chord song with great production.

TLDR: Great Album, no fillers, amazing themes, amazing lyrics, good guitar/drum/bass work, and great backup vocals. Green Day's best
  17. Aug 5, 2011
    Absolutely, the best album of Green Day ever. The creative structure of the album, telling a story and the significant lyrics are really acclaimed. I will now highlight "Jesus of Suburbia"and "Homecoming", long songs with so much powerful punk concentrated which really make them an incredible masterpieces. One of the best album of the decade.
  18. Jan 6, 2012
    While previous albums had their significance, American Idiot signaled the evolution of Green Day from simple Punk rockers to the some of the greatest storytellers of our era.
  19. Oct 4, 2013
    Amazing album that stands it test of time and still is a masterpiece almost 10 years into the future. Truly a classic. I would even go so far to compare this album to Nevermind by Nirvana or Abbey Road by The Beatles or IV by Led Zeppelin.All tracks are amazing but I would have to admit that the middle is not as good as the beginning and end but those tracks are awesome aswell! Track byAmazing album that stands it test of time and still is a masterpiece almost 10 years into the future. Truly a classic. I would even go so far to compare this album to Nevermind by Nirvana or Abbey Road by The Beatles or IV by Led Zeppelin.All tracks are amazing but I would have to admit that the middle is not as good as the beginning and end but those tracks are awesome aswell! Track by track: American Idiot 10/10 this power rocker starts up the album with a huge bang, still hears this song today on the radio or the tv. Jesus of Suburbia 10/10 this 9 minute rock-opera keeps my interest through the whole song. Holiday 10/10 Awesome! Nuff' said. Boulevard of Broken Dreams 10/10 another timeless classic that i still hear being played. Are we waiting 10/10 This 3 minute song is so epic! St.Jimmy 10/10 Fast paced fun! Here is where the album is getting a bit worse on the 4 following tracks: Give me novachine,Extraordinary Girl, Letterbomb. 9/10 but I love She is a Rebel 10/10. Wake me up when september ends 10/10 A truly beautiful song that Billie Joe wrote to his dad that passed away of cancer when Billie Joe was 10. He died in september and "Wake me up when september ends" is a reference to what BIllie Joe said on his fathers funeral. Homecoming 10/10 another awesome 9 minute
    rock-opera. Diverse and intense. Whatsername 9.5/10 awesome closer that sums up the album perfectly. Oh, did I mention that you should listen to the lyrics to truly understand the album. You see, this whole album is a story. This review turned up pretty long so I think I will end it here. You know what to do! Just listen to this already!!!
  20. CRL
    Jul 26, 2011
    No one saw this coming. Green Day makes a rock opera, and then that rock opera becomes one of the greatest of the decade. This album never lets up from the scorching prelude that is the title track, to the emotionally charged ending.
  21. Nov 6, 2011
    Great album it's was good that Green day grew out of it's childish style like previouse albums Kerplunk and Dookie (it was fun while it lasted) but this more hardcore rebellious sound seems to be working really well for the band, though it may appeal less to kids and teens because of political refrences I'm sure true punk rock fans will be proud.
  22. Jan 15, 2014
    may not even be the kings of punk rock (or post-punk, pop punk, or whatever), but left pretty and good messages in this album. A landmark in the 2000s and in the digital age, American Idiot is nothing more than a fact of American conflict, and musicality based on opera, is not bad either. Amazing how this album ages well and still current. Green Day is doing its job and very good.
  23. Jan 20, 2017
    From start to finish, American Idiot is an amazing album to listen to, with so much content. Some average tracks, many incredible tracks. I'm still a die hard fan of the Offspring, and I don't think I will every replace them with another favorite (in the punk rock genre), however Green Day is not far behind.
  24. Dec 29, 2010
    Its quite interesting how alot of the people who give this low scores explain absolutly no detail into their justification of that score and instead just personally insults the band or anyone that listens to it, how can you trust the opinion of a person who believes that enjoying certain types of music is correlated to inteligence? Sometimes, I think metacritic should just keep theIts quite interesting how alot of the people who give this low scores explain absolutly no detail into their justification of that score and instead just personally insults the band or anyone that listens to it, how can you trust the opinion of a person who believes that enjoying certain types of music is correlated to inteligence? Sometimes, I think metacritic should just keep the unbiased reviewer magazine crtics and nothing more. Nothing wrong with this album. The opinion of the public can be quite distorted such as Justin Bieber, Alot of people hate him for his music and perhaps 40% of his haters hate him because the other 60% hate him and want to look cool (peer pressure). Expand
  25. Aug 23, 2011
    A very melted dry out album since the release of it, because of that hysterical hype back then, you wont feel nothing more to the rhythm etc. So yeah, I gave it a 8.
  26. Jan 17, 2016
    um ótimo álbum, com letras incríveis, o american idiot é, sem sombra de dúvidas, o melhor álbum do green day (dookiefãs não passarão). um dos melhores que já ouvi.
  27. Nov 9, 2011
    I don't know much about songs, but it doesn't take an American to realize how rocking out this music is, as well as the lyrics too.
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    When you think 'Rock Opera' this is the album that instantly comes to mind, and that is because it is a candidate for best album of all time. This is an album that took the world by storm in 2004 and 2005 and single handedly boosted Green Day's career to an absolute high, with singles winning awards and being tonnes of airtime, after all, everybody here has heard American Idiot, Wake Me UpWhen you think 'Rock Opera' this is the album that instantly comes to mind, and that is because it is a candidate for best album of all time. This is an album that took the world by storm in 2004 and 2005 and single handedly boosted Green Day's career to an absolute high, with singles winning awards and being tonnes of airtime, after all, everybody here has heard American Idiot, Wake Me Up When September Ends or Boulevard of Broken Dreams at least 10 times, and I highly doubt nobody is sick of ALL of those songs, let alone any of them. Overall, a wonderful album and a true masterpiece. Must buy! Expand
  29. Jan 5, 2011
    American Idiot is one of the best punk albums of the millennium. Insightful lyrics, terrific singing, excellent guitar work, and more. Though not as great as Insomniac, it's still a wonderful 5 star album. Highlights: Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, Homecoming, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams.
  30. Jun 5, 2012
    After a long break since their last album, "American Idiot" proves to be their best album yet. Providing a new spin on a classic rock album, Green Day has proven once again why they are the biggest rock band in the world right now.

1. It is exactly what the band needs to boost itself to the next level of pop-punk prowess.
  2. There's still plenty of spunk in to be found in this Sgt. Pepper-lite.
  3. Not only does it contain Green Day’s finest songs (and choruses) to date... but it also scratches at the surface of political dissatisfaction with nails sharp enough to leave a nasty scar.