American Idiot - Green Day
8.8

Review this album

1. CRL
    Jul 26, 2011
    No one saw this coming. Green Day makes a rock opera, and then that rock opera becomes one of the greatest of the decade. This album never lets up from the scorching prelude that is the title track, to the emotionally charged ending.
  2. Nov 9, 2011
    I don't know much about songs, but it doesn't take an American to realize how rocking out this music is, as well as the lyrics too.
  3. Jan 16, 2012
    Never been a big fan of Greenday before or since this record. I've always found them very average musically and borderline childish lyrically. This record however is very very good. Definitely GreenDay at their very best. apart from the singles there are half a dozen other excellent tracks on this.
  4. Mar 9, 2012
    One of the best albums of the 2000-2009 decade. This album was a classic and it still is. I dont listen to it as much as i did in 2004 **** still the best album since Nirvana's Nevermind
  5. May 17, 2012
    This is the definition of perfection. It starts of with the energetic first single and title track American Idiot: 10/10. Next there comes the super epic Jesus of Suburbia: 10/10. The 3rd track off the album is Holiday (10/10) which leads right into Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is my second favourite song of all time and won the Grammy award for Record of the Year, I think. It fully deserved it: 10/10. Next comes Are We The Waiting (9/10) which is a slow track, but still really amazing. I look at it from 3 different points of view. First of all it's a good track. Then I sometimes take it as a kind of sow interlude in the album. Then I sometimes also understand it as an intro for the next fast track it leads right into: St. Jimmy (9/10). The 7th track off the album is Give Me Noavacaine which is kind of a bit slow like Are We The Waiting but again, really amazing: 10/10. She's a Rebel is the 8th track and is pretty fast-paced: 9/10. The 9th track is Extraordinary Girl. Sure, the verse isn't that convincing, but the chorus is just... Words can't express how great it is: 10/10. Next comes the epic Letterbomb. Just amazing: 10/10. Then there comes Wake Me Up When September Ends which opens quietly, with an acoustic guitar, finally evolving into an amazing song with solos, great melodies, and fantastic vocals: 10/10 Track 12 is Homecoming, a 9-minute epic just like Jesus of Suburbia: 10/10. The last track off American Idiot is Whatsername, evolving from a muffled guitar riff to an energetic, loud song: 10/10. Well done Green Day! Well done! There is NO bad track on this album. And I am realistic. Trust me, there is no bad song on this album at all. Expand
  6. Dec 29, 2010
    Its quite interesting how alot of the people who give this low scores explain absolutly no detail into their justification of that score and instead just personally insults the band or anyone that listens to it, how can you trust the opinion of a person who believes that enjoying certain types of music is correlated to inteligence? Sometimes, I think metacritic should just keep the unbiased reviewer magazine crtics and nothing more. Nothing wrong with this album. The opinion of the public can be quite distorted such as Justin Bieber, Alot of people hate him for his music and perhaps 40% of his haters hate him because the other 60% hate him and want to look cool (peer pressure). Expand
  7. Aug 14, 2010
    The Return of Green Day.

Ever since Dookie, Green Day has been one of the forefront punk rock/alternative bands in pop music. However in the years leading up to this album, their popularity had significantly faded. Punk rock fans really lost interest. The music didn't change much. Green Day themselves showed signs of musical decay with poor albums like Warning and Nimrod. They started
    work on an album called Cigarettes And Valentines. But in the middle of those sessions, the master tapes had been stolen. Rather than use copies of the original, Green Day started a new concept which materialized into American Idiot.

From the start, Green Day proves they aren't soft guys. On the title track, they blast off criticism of American media, saying how its falsehood has influenced us to become like, well, idiots. But that's the intro. Over the course of the album, one can finally understand the magnificence of the album because even though the sound is conventional, its themes and structures is unique.

It is essentially a rock opera divided into several acts. Each act explains the character's emotions and journey. But the story itself isn't well made. The sound varies too much and the plot is really lost in the midst of musical genius. The tale isn't quite clear as it should be. Each act seems like a random piece of the character's journey rather than sequential chapters that make sense. For one thing, midway through the album Jesus Of Suburbia calls himself St. Jimmy for no reason. Then in Homecoming, he claims that persona is now dead. The whole idea of American Idiot is somewhat lost in the story.

But Green Day has put the punk back in punk rock with an album that works more as a collection of good songs rather than the rock opera as proposed.
  8. Sep 23, 2010
    Green Day's PR manager walks up to them one day and says "You guys are has-beens, but you're under contract for one more album, and I've got just the thing to make you hits, even at your old age! See, everybody hates President Bush now, and you guys can just ride that to the bank, right?" The band convened and decided they could by ripping off everything that made their 1994 album Dookie a success, then loading it with political bullpucky. Kids ate it up, adults praised it, and three men who made their fortunes writing songs about masturbation and marijuana became the sages of the 21st century. God help us all. Expand
  9. Sep 28, 2010
    Sure, it's an odd thing to review in 2010, but how can you not have your say on this album? My 7/10 is a simple one. I haven't yet, listened to an album that for me, has been over a 7. Such bands as Every Avenue, Asking Alexandria and such all seem to pump out amazing albums, but none over a 7. American Idiot, however, has had a HUGE impact on the way I saw music when it was released. This is why I don't really cringe when people say they used to, or even still, listen to Busted. I'd rather listen to Busted, which I did and sometimes still do, than say...50 Cent?

American Idiot, however, changed my music style. As soon as i bought it and gave it a good beating, I knew that I was into this genre. At the time, the genre was 'guitars'. Then it branched into Korn, then Linkin Park and before you know it, I'm buying Whisteria Cottage CD's and trying to decide what else to buy.

The reason I am wittering on about this is because had Green Day released American Idiot this week, in the music position that I am in, I would have given it a straight 9. But because I was 12, and I didn't understand the political subtext, 7 will have to do.
  10. Nov 21, 2010
    After years of hollow, uninspired guitar rock, this clever opus emerged as an instant classic. American Idiot delivers inventive hooks along with socially conscious lyrics, making this album stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to almost every other rock album of the era. It would be hard to dislike this album unless you were biased against the band for some other reason. The fact is that rock music is almost completely dead, and American Idiot may end up being the last truly great rock album. Expand
  11. Feb 1, 2011
    American Idiot is a great album. From the opening punk-anthem "American Idiot" to the raw and powerful "Wake Me Up When September Ends". There is not a dull song on this album. This album is nothing like "Dookie". Completely different in every way. They sing about politics and America and Religion. Whereas in Dookie he sings about laziness and what not. It's really a big step in the right direction. All In All, American Idiot is a great album and it shows that Green Day is a band to be taken seriously. B+ Expand
  12. Aug 9, 2011
    Greatest album of all time , jesus of suburbia shows every teen dream of living his life . With this album green day reborned rock and american idiot became a simbol for the new generation of rock fans
  13. Dec 27, 2010
    Absolutely epic, Green Day gives us an album that deserves to be named one of the best rock albums (if not the best) of the 21'st century first decade. Hilarious rock songs, grandiose epics and power ballads make up a very interesting album in which Billie Joe amstrong shows he is an excellent songwriter, one of the finest to come out of his generation.
  14. Jan 5, 2011
    American Idiot is one of the best punk albums of the millennium. Insightful lyrics, terrific singing, excellent guitar work, and more. Though not as great as Insomniac, it's still a wonderful 5 star album. Highlights: Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, Homecoming, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams.
  15. Jan 27, 2011
    One of the best albums ever made by Green Day. All of their songs are amazing and have a great hook to them. Also, Billie Joe Armstrong has one of the best vocals ever and he's a great guitarist!!!!
  16. Feb 1, 2011
    This album blew everyone away and opened the doors again for rock N roll! Amazing stuff! This is how rock operas should be played kids! American Idiot was truly an explosion by Green Day and you can hear the passion on every song on this album. Jesus of Suburbia is hands down one of the most amazing songs ever written. I'll never forget the first time hearing this amazing track and being blown away. Almost seven years later this album holds up well and will remain a classic album in history! Expand
  17. Feb 7, 2011
    This has to be my favourite album of all time, I listen to it religiously.

I love the storyline the album follows and the characters and how every song has it's own style and personality!
  18. Feb 22, 2011
    GREEN DAY IS BACK! After their multi-million selling album, "Dookie" they released three studio efforts and 1 complication record. They were good and if a Green Day fan they were great! But as most bands would break up after a hard spell, Green Day stuck together and put out the greatest album of the last 10 years. This is probably the best Rock Opera since The Who's "Tommy". With Bush about to serve another four years and the Iraqi war going strong Billie Joe's lyrics sum up all the frustration the younger generation had bottled up at that time. Green Day still has evidence of their punk past on songs like "St. Jimmy" and "She's A Rebel". They show their maturity on the two 9 minute epic songs "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming". The two best songs on the album are the anti-war "Holiday" and the Grammy Award winning "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"! Expand
  19. Mar 8, 2011
    Make sure ur sitting down when u start playing this song! other wise the sound of amazing punk rock will blow u back on your ass! Every song on this album is moving and sheer quality, no song lacks anything, when u listen to a song, you dont go, "that was pretty good, but i like _ better" every song feeds off the other. each song is different and better than the last in certain ways. i could listen to this album all the way thru 3 times in a row. Its moving, its got class, and it will make any music being played the radio right now look like complete garbage. this is what the people have been waiting for! not some autotuned garbage. This Is American Idiot! Expand
  20. Aug 23, 2011
    A very melted dry out album since the release of it, because of that hysterical hype back then, you wont feel nothing more to the rhythm etc. So yeah, I gave it a 8.
  21. Aug 5, 2011
    Absolutely, the best album of Green Day ever. The creative structure of the album, telling a story and the significant lyrics are really acclaimed. I will now highlight "Jesus of Suburbia"and "Homecoming", long songs with so much powerful punk concentrated which really make them an incredible masterpieces. One of the best album of the decade.
  22. May 12, 2011
    i love green day and i like this album. it had a great storyline. it was easy to follow. the lyrics were okay. the music and the melodies were on point. t deserved the recognition at the grammy's
  23. May 10, 2011
    Green Day throws off the shackles of punk rock normalcy and blasts out a beautifully constructed rock opera, filled with vision and creativity, and oozing with spectacular lyricism and instrumentals. The best album of the decade.
  24. Jun 22, 2011
    With this album, Green Day turns into more of a punk rock band rather than punk. If ur disappointed, then dont be. They have finally found a genre that fits perfectly to them, and it rocks! Truly a work of art.
  25. Jul 6, 2011
    This is the definition of a perfect album. It covers a ton of genres without sounding convoluted or boring. If you love punk or classic rock, then you owe it to yourself to listen this album.
  26. Jul 19, 2012
    Awesome album! It's got it all. I love Green Day and have loved it for a long time and it's one of my all time favorite bands. This album has a lot of there most popular and best songs, like American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and Whatsername. I think that this album is actually their best album next to Dookie and Nimrod. Classic band with classic songs that will be loved and cherished forever. Expand
  27. j30
    Sep 21, 2011
    One of the best albums of the past decade. Amazing creative breakthrough. These songs will be playing on classic radio stations 20 years from now. It's interesting that a stolen demo tape lead them to one of their best albums of their career.
  28. Sep 10, 2011
    A lot of the songs on here are interminably long (i.e. "Jesus of Suburbia", "Homecoming"), but every single act in this musical rock opera is constructed to perfection and unbelievability.
  29. Aug 14, 2011
    Green day is one of my favorite bands ever and this is their best album. This is great album from start to finish and has some of their most well known songs.
  30. Aug 23, 2011
    One of the greatest albums of all time it is helped by the high paced energy of st. jimmy and american idiot, the sober greatness of wake me up when september ends and boulevard of broken dreams, and most importantly the 9 minute epics homecoming and jesus of suburbia makes this one of those every once and a while albums that all 100% listenable 10 out of 10

1. It is exactly what the band needs to boost itself to the next level of pop-punk prowess.
  2. There's still plenty of spunk in to be found in this Sgt. Pepper-lite.
  3. Not only does it contain Green Day’s finest songs (and choruses) to date... but it also scratches at the surface of political dissatisfaction with nails sharp enough to leave a nasty scar.