• Record Label: Capitol
  • Release Date: Jun 5, 2001
8.7

Review this album

1. Apr 3, 2012
    I've always thought Amnesiac was a bit of a hit and miss album by Radiohead. Some tracks really stand out and show just how brilliant Radiohead is, and other tracks lack that brilliance. It's nevertheless a solid album but it's no where near Radiohead's best work. B
  2. Jun 2, 2011
    An incredibly great sequel to Kid A; it should not at all be considered the "after thought" of Kid A. Some of my favorite Radiohead songs are on the album. Knives Out is my favorite from the record, but realize that the rest of the album is just a hair behind it. Definitely a buy.
  3. Aug 20, 2010
    Not Radiohead's finest work by any means. It is far less an album and more a collection of songs than it's predecessor, Kid A. But by far the greatest accomplishment of this album is to open the door to the new Radiohead sound which is heard in its complete debut in successor, Hail to the Thief. It incorporates much more jazz which is a staple ingridient in the Radiohead melting pot ofNot Radiohead's finest work by any means. It is far less an album and more a collection of songs than it's predecessor, Kid A. But by far the greatest accomplishment of this album is to open the door to the new Radiohead sound which is heard in its complete debut in successor, Hail to the Thief. It incorporates much more jazz which is a staple ingridient in the Radiohead melting pot of sounds. Not Radioheads best, but it spawned one of their great anthems, Pyramid Song, and the dark blues prophet of death to the economy and everything that has a well being derived from it, Dollars & Cents, you also hear I Will before its release on Hail to the Thief in backwards form in Like Spinning Plates. All and all, a sub-amazing but above-good album is what you hear in Amnesiac. And let's remember, it can't be easy to follow up arguably the best album of the decade. Expand
  4. Sep 5, 2010
    I first bought this album in 2001, and aside from Pyramid song (which is probably my favorite radiohead song) I thought of it as being much weaker than Kid A. What I really didn't like initially was the second version of Morning Bell, and how the record as a whole was an uncomfortable listen. This is a record that took several attempts over a number of years to appreciate as a full pieceI first bought this album in 2001, and aside from Pyramid song (which is probably my favorite radiohead song) I thought of it as being much weaker than Kid A. What I really didn't like initially was the second version of Morning Bell, and how the record as a whole was an uncomfortable listen. This is a record that took several attempts over a number of years to appreciate as a full piece of music. Now I love it of course, but I still like Kid A, OKC, and HTTT better. It's funny how time can change your perception of things. Along with Pyramid Song, Knives Out will really melt your face off. (They both have great music videos, too!) Expand
  5. Sep 7, 2010
    As great as Kid A is, I belive Thom and Company stepped it up with their follow-up. Rivaling In Rainbows for mesmerizingly beautiful songs, Amnesiac packs quite a punch and, as most Radiohead albums, only improves with each listen.
  6. Sep 15, 2010
    Amnesiac is quite possibly Radiohead's most varied album. Mixing electronics, eerie piano, beats, strings, powerful piano and flowing jazz. What does this mean? Two things. First: this album makes Radiohead. It provides a sweeping view of their ever changing styles. Second: This does, in a way, seem like Radiohead's messiest album. This may be the reason it tends to be ignored. Musically,Amnesiac is quite possibly Radiohead's most varied album. Mixing electronics, eerie piano, beats, strings, powerful piano and flowing jazz. What does this mean? Two things. First: this album makes Radiohead. It provides a sweeping view of their ever changing styles. Second: This does, in a way, seem like Radiohead's messiest album. This may be the reason it tends to be ignored. Musically, though, it's one of their best. Though all of their albums tend to come under those words. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2011
    unlike many of the masses of of the ok computer/bends old schoolers, and the new school In rainbows men, i personally like to think this as their personal best. NO way a high water mark (as this is Radiohead the constant innovators of great music) but this is the album that sort of has the perefect amount of emotion and experimental environments that makes me always want to place this cdunlike many of the masses of of the ok computer/bends old schoolers, and the new school In rainbows men, i personally like to think this as their personal best. NO way a high water mark (as this is Radiohead the constant innovators of great music) but this is the album that sort of has the perefect amount of emotion and experimental environments that makes me always want to place this cd in my car or walk around with in my ipod. My personal favorite Radiohead song pyramid song is prehaps one of the darkest brooding pieces. Complete with Yorke's Dark, possibly suicidal lyrics and extremely well done piano playing with a nervous string arrangement in the background . but it is prehpas the one song even by title you know your'e gonna cry over or have at least gained some heart aching emotion listening to. But every songs worth listening to. Buy this, and while you're at it buy its b sides too you cannot go wrong with any of the outtakes Expand
  8. May 6, 2011
    I just don't feel this album like every other Radiohead album... Like Spinning Plates is by far the best from this album, including Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box and Life In A Glass House. Apart from that, I have very little else to say about this album... If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all... I could never give this below six though, asI just don't feel this album like every other Radiohead album... Like Spinning Plates is by far the best from this album, including Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box and Life In A Glass House. Apart from that, I have very little else to say about this album... If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all... I could never give this below six though, as I still have hopes that one day Amnesiac and I might click. Expand
  9. May 18, 2011
    my favourite of theirs. i find Kid A to just be a mere prelude to this. this seems more developed to me.
    backwards i know, but i do not understand why some consider it below their other albums.
    its certainly not b-sides btw, its equal on par with kid a- even amnesiac's own b-sides are pretty damn good!
  10. Jun 4, 2011
    The back half of the album is so-so by Radiohead standards, but Pyramid Song is the best thing they have ever done as a band.
  11. Mar 4, 2012
    The best Radiohead album? Of couse not, but regardless is still as beautiful as any record they produce will be. Continuing with the Kid A trend, Amnesiac arguably has even weirder tracks (...Revolving doors, Like Spinning Plates) that take some getting used to, but are often worth it. Admittedly, there are a few duff tracks (Hunting bears and Dollars and Cents are pretty dull), but theseThe best Radiohead album? Of couse not, but regardless is still as beautiful as any record they produce will be. Continuing with the Kid A trend, Amnesiac arguably has even weirder tracks (...Revolving doors, Like Spinning Plates) that take some getting used to, but are often worth it. Admittedly, there are a few duff tracks (Hunting bears and Dollars and Cents are pretty dull), but these can merely be treated as interludes in an album that contains songs such as Pyramid song, You and Whose Army, Life in a Glasshouse and a much superior version of Morning Bell.

Essential listening for any Radiohead fan.
  12. Jul 12, 2011
    A work of art, revealing an obscene darkness. I was pleased to hear more piano on this record than we've had in previous Radiohead albums, as well as a wider use of instruments. You and Whose Army is by far the best track on this album for the piano that comes shooting in from nowhere and makes the song transcend. Other particularly commendable tracks include Push/Pulk Revolving Doors (itsA work of art, revealing an obscene darkness. I was pleased to hear more piano on this record than we've had in previous Radiohead albums, as well as a wider use of instruments. You and Whose Army is by far the best track on this album for the piano that comes shooting in from nowhere and makes the song transcend. Other particularly commendable tracks include Push/Pulk Revolving Doors (its incredible atmosphere and haunting lyrics bewildre), I might be wrong (for one of the nastiest riffs I've ever heard) and Morning Bell Amnesiac (for the allusion that people seem to miss: This man has forgotten that he has already made this track, and is now making it again but in a different state of mind.) Expand
  13. j30
    Sep 21, 2011
    Solid follow-up to the masterpiece Kid A. Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong, and You and Whose Army rank among their best work.
  14. Aug 6, 2011
    Amazingly brilliant, horribly underated.
  15. Apr 13, 2012
    Kid A's follow up/ sister album. Recorded at the same time as Kid A and relased half a year later - Amnesiac is quite a different album and although it would have been pretty cool, you can understand why it wasn't released with Kid A as part of a double album. Both records are very much individual pieces of work. While still on the experimental side, Amnesiac is more instant andKid A's follow up/ sister album. Recorded at the same time as Kid A and relased half a year later - Amnesiac is quite a different album and although it would have been pretty cool, you can understand why it wasn't released with Kid A as part of a double album. Both records are very much individual pieces of work. While still on the experimental side, Amnesiac is more instant and accessible. The first 8 songs are brilliant. I think it tapers off ever so slightly towards the end - although a good song, "Like Spinning Plates" sounds much better live as heard on the "I Might be Wrong" record, Hunting Bears is unnecessary and Life in a Glass House is good. Really good stuff overall from a great, great band. Expand
  16. Nov 16, 2011
    Another magnificent job by the "most popular rock band in the world." In all honesty, though, this album is not perfect. It's the album that I'm least likely to listen to for enjoyment. But what makes this album fantastic is the incredible musical content, melodic and sometimes catchy riffs with electronic effects here and there. The only way I would give all the songs on this a perfectAnother magnificent job by the "most popular rock band in the world." In all honesty, though, this album is not perfect. It's the album that I'm least likely to listen to for enjoyment. But what makes this album fantastic is the incredible musical content, melodic and sometimes catchy riffs with electronic effects here and there. The only way I would give all the songs on this a perfect score is if it was released with Kid A as a double album. Plus, this album has awesome B-sides. Expand
  17. Jan 28, 2012
    I did not expect anything resembling the classic OK Computer. I expected a continuation of Kid A. And as expected, plus a phenomenal job, travel in overlapping sounds, through the participation of gorgeous jazz. Bright continued.
  18. May 14, 2012
    this one caught me off guard back in the day, but it's a real beauty. for those that can't appreciate this, i've got to say that if a band doesn't go to that experimental place, the diamonds that come out afterwards just wouldn't happen (in rainbows, anyone?).
  19. Jun 3, 2013
    It amazes me how low the scores are for Radiohead albums. Radiohead have some of the most amazing, mind opening music in the world, just listen to pyramid song on this album when you need to think out of the box, and you will see why. It's seven eight timing is unusual and unpredictable which takes the casual listener out of it's comfort zone.

As with all Radiohead albums, the whole is

As with all Radiohead albums, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Its clear its not for everyone though, just by some of these reviews. Try hard and you wont be disappointed.
  20. Apr 12, 2013
    'Amnesiac' is by far the best Radiohead album: more cohesive and various than its twin 'Kid A'. 'Life in a Glasshouse' is probably the greatest song they ever recorded.
  21. May 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a great album. Some of the songs were weird gibberish but most of it was melodic heaven. "You And Whose Army?" was most likely my favorite... at the beginning it was mostly gibberish but it got better and better. Expand
  22. Nov 17, 2014
    How could they follow up the brilliance and experimentation of Kid A? With more. But this album is far from a B-side collection from Kid A. Amnesiac has it's own feel, it's own place in the discography of the greatest band ever formed.
  23. Jun 7, 2013
    I am not much of a music expert in general, but I've heard Amnesiac enough to know it's an example of quality music. Especially, the breathtaking, mind-blowing I Might Be Wrong proves that Radiohead could never make a bad album. I would choose it over Pablo Honey and its hit-track Creep any time (not that i don't like it, I love pablo honey), just for I Might Be Wrong...
  24. Jul 15, 2013
    Although it goes against popular opinion, I firmly believe that Amnesiac is Radiohead's greatest album to date. A serious listen reveals that this is probably their most thoughtfully composed, meaningful and emotional album, with some of the most hauntingly brilliant and beautiful tracks they've ever released.
  25. Nov 5, 2013
    This album continues Radiohead's style perfected in Kid A. Amnesic is nowhere near Kid A, but still does what the band does best. Many aspects of this album are different from the rest of their discography thematically and stylistically. Amnesic is dark and subtle which makes this album the most emotional Radiohead album. Even though Amnesiac stays quiet and subtle at times, it has someThis album continues Radiohead's style perfected in Kid A. Amnesic is nowhere near Kid A, but still does what the band does best. Many aspects of this album are different from the rest of their discography thematically and stylistically. Amnesic is dark and subtle which makes this album the most emotional Radiohead album. Even though Amnesiac stays quiet and subtle at times, it has some buildups that create quite an impact. Fear of hell is a theme possibly displayed in this album with songs such as "I might be wrong" and "pulk/pull revolving doors." The closer on this album "Life in a glass house" could not be more perfect and is my favorite Radiohead song. This album is out there, but has some of the best Radiohead moments. Expand
  26. Aug 5, 2014
    Amnesiac is my favorite record from Radiohead.
    It is not made of b-sides of Kid A. I repeat, to all of you that didn't get it yet, it is not made of b-sides of Kid A. To be true, it is a unique album, in the discography of Radiohead, but also in the history of music.
    Melodies are melancholic, sad, elegant, or inexistent. The voice of Yorke is at its edge. Amnesiac is amazing because it
    Amnesiac is my favorite record from Radiohead.
    Amnesiac is amazing because it alternates absurd experimental tracks to more easy, guitar-driven ones.
    It's a masterpiece.
  27. Feb 26, 2015
    Cold, dark, moody, mysterious, sometimes weird and pretty experimental sound. Combines alternative pop and electronic, giving interesting results. Definitely worth a listen.

1. "Amnesiac" deepens the mystery that Radiohead began with its curious, largely electronic 2000 release, "Kid A," and certainly won't satiate those awaiting the lauded band's supposed return to guitar-heavy epics.
  2. Either Yorke’s lyrics are better this time, or the comparative voluptuousness of the vocal performances make it easier to tune in, or we’ve finally grasped what he’s been getting at since abandoning OK Computer’s more straightforward man-vs-society musings.
  3. By the sound of it, Radiohead have strayed off into the same territory Yes did over a quarter century ago -- and two pieces of marginalia in a row don't bode well for the outcome. [8 June 2001, p.72]