Amok - Atoms for Peace
8.2

Review this album

1. Feb 26, 2013
    What AMOK isn’t (as the critics so obsessed with extra-musical baggage would have you believe) is some overwrought super-group experiment. What it is, though, is a collection of deftly arranged, pulsating, driving songs. Thom Yoke’s vocals songwriting are at their best here, marrying beautifully slow melodies to quick rhythmic patterns (“Before Your Very Eyes”); subtly altering the phrasing of a repeated lyric (creating a hypnotic, climatic effect on “Unless”); and is at its warmest and most affectionate (“Ingenue”). Beautiful, deep record that reveals itself more and more through each repeated listen. Expand
  2. Feb 26, 2013
    I've always been torn between euphoria and confusion with anything Thom Yorke has been involved with. The lineup for this game is, however, nothing short of fantastic. I feel high everytime I listen to this. In fact, I feel as if I get higher and higher everytime I listen to it. It's just out of this world.
  3. Feb 26, 2013
    While touted as Thom Yorke's dance album, this is a much deeper and more rewarding listen than that would imply. The songwriting here is impeccable, Thom Yorke's voice has never been more liquid and pure, and the album as a whole has a lot of surprising warmth and delicate beauty nestled between the beats and the laptop modulations. I was initially afraid of Flea's involvement, but there's no popping or slapping here. I can't imagine that I'll hear a better album this year. Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find this album a great one. I find people dislikes this album because it sounds like Thom Yorke and not like Radiohead, but, What's the problem? This album is great from the first song to the last song (the one i think is the best). Expand
  5. Mar 1, 2013
    It's the natural progression Yorke's work seems to be taking, putting more distance between himself and the early work of Radiohead. As ever, though, the sound is original and there's enough in it to keep the listener entertained until Radiohead get back in the studio.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    I have got to say that this album surpassed my expectations. I never thought that after King of Limbs, happy bunny Thom Yorke could accept such style,... but it turns out he can. Amok radiates with raw and original genius. The melody and the rhythms are extraordinary and out of this world. Definitively recommended for all Radiohead lovers. Although this is not RHCP style I think you will like it since it's hard not to nod and in awe on Such genius artists. Expand
  7. Mar 22, 2013
    AMOK treads into new terrirory and defies classification. While it is easy to make comparisons to Radiohead or Eraser, please don't.; I believe Yorke's idea was to draw upon his bandmate's talents to create an atmosphere that has never been experienced before. Based upon its own merits, this album is unique and, at its best moments, sublime. It is a masterclass on mixing retro digital with acoustic into a work that is thoroughly modern. Before Your Very Eyes is genius in its construction, and it alone is worth the price of the album. It is not without its flaws (a spot of lyrics that are a bit cliched and two tracks that as of yet to me don't seem to add anything), but it is a fine initial effort. Expand
  8. Feb 28, 2013
    It always took time to really enjoy a Radiohead or Thom Yorke album recently, since the "Kid A" experimentations. All these album were finally great when you start to know it better.

With AMOK, it's the first time I really love one of Thom's albums without having to listen to it 5 or 10 times. It's really great and I can't find the words to describe it with my poor English (sorry).
  9. Apr 15, 2013
    As the great Beethoven once said, "If you don't like afrobeat electronica, get the out!". It's fun album with a lot of good ideas. It's cut from the same cloth as Yorke's solo stuff and King of Limbs. A little heavier on the electronica side, with a hint of kuti's afrobeat. It's not for everyone, but what is? I find it to best the best of Yorke's experimental electronica.
  10. Oct 31, 2013
    This album has destroyed my willingness to listen to anything else. I have been listening to AMOK since it came out... On repeat... Every chance I get. It might sound obsessive I know, but I cannot stop. I truly believe this diamond in the ruff, unappreciated, work of art, is a stroke of genius. This album holds a musical honey-trap under it's layers, once you are in, you are done. Those who have listened to AMOK in it's entirety less than 5 time, barely scratched the surface of this brilliant, complex, moving and unique album. AMOK stands on it's own and should not be compered. Each musician in this cast brings his own musical signature and is flawlessly put together. The best album I've listened to in years. Expand
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    This one is definitely a grower, like most of Yorke's work. But after listening multiple times, I'm obsessed. This is top class electronic music, and Godrich is one of the best producers in the biz. The hooks are hard to find, but that's because the melodies are so intricate and complex. Flea's bass lines add a groovy feel to the mix. The rest of the instruments feel minimal, but in a good, mature way. A rich, challenging album that is one of the year's best in my opinion. Only wish it were longer! Expand
  12. Aug 26, 2013
    I must admit I am pleasantly surprised by Amok from new supergroup Atoms For Peace.. In some ways this project sounds like a hybrid between Radiohead's 'King Of Limbs' and Thom Yorke's 'The Eraser', but definitely stands out and surpasses them in several aspects. AMOK is livelier, sunnier, and much more colorful than Eraser, while much more fun and engaging than King Of Limbs.

I gave
    this album a 9 out of 10 because as a fan of Radiohead and Thom Yorke, I find it to be a much more enjoyable listen than much of Yorke's prior work. Unlike many of his past projects, AMOK mesmerizes you with its beauty and richness without depressing you into the greys and blues that have become so familiar on Radiohead albums and on Yorke's solo album The Eraser. The one and only negative I found was that the other musicians sometimes seem underutilized, which has been a perennial problem for "dictator" Yorke since 1997's 'OK Computer'.

The opening track 'Before Your Very Eyes' immediately calls to mind the sounds of the rainforest thanks to Brazilian percussionist Mauro Refosco and an immediately recognizable blend of rhythm and (simulated) horns. The next track 'Default' has touches of both Beck and the French electronic duo Air. The third track 'Engenue' sounds suspiciously similar to the track 'Atoms For Peace' from The Eraser, from which the band derives its name. Track number 4 'Dropped' incorporates some percussion elements that are somewhat reminiscent of the soundtrack from the 1988 Japanese anime 'Akira'.

Track 5 'Unless' is another percussion-heavy piece featuring Afro-Brazilian rhythms and rapid tempo helped along by Mauro Refosco. Red Hot Chilli Peppers bassist Flea carries the tempo for the next track 'Stuck Together Pieces' and again seems underutilized, but there is plenty of room here for some live show soloing.

Track 7, 'Judge Jury and Executioner' takes us into the final stretch beginning an impressive trio of songs that feature Yorke's layered vocals laid out over clap-heavy percussion. Along with the next track 'Reverse Running', these two songs contain the most interesting and intelligible lyrics and the album's only semblance of a narrative. Track 8 concludes with a sequence of nostalgic effects that are strongly reminiscent of Radiohead's OK Computer.

And finally the last track 'Amok' briefly sounds like an old Moby tune before transforming into 'The Gloaming' meets 'We Young Blood' meets '2 2 5' from Radiohead's 2003 album Hail To The Thief. Seriously, the way this album ends is so reminiscent of that album that I was prompted to listen to it again for the first time in probably five years.

Overall this album should have been a 10, but in my book loses a point because I was expecting more from Flea. Yorke is a dictator, there's no question about it. I am actually left anticipating the next Atoms For Piece collaboration than the next Radiohead project because it seems that the latter have exhausted themselves a bit. Perhaps Thom York will finally grow up and let the other guys contribute a bit more to the overall aesthetic of his projects, which I've been waiting for since 1997. That aside, Amok is an excellent album that has a lot to offer but will probably be overlooked.
  13. Oct 16, 2013
    Perfect and incredible album, like a second part of The Eraser, the mix of Thom and Flea's brains was a good idea, I hope they release a new album soon.
  14. Oct 31, 2013
    Brilliant album. Thom Yorke just keeps going and going, like a musical genius version of the Energizer Bunny. Most geniuses peter out by the time they reach Thom's age. There was a lot of "supergroup" nonsense bandied about by tired alcoholic music journalists who can't think of anything else to say, but in reality Thom is responsible for 80% of what's going on in your headphones, just like he is on Radiohead records. My expectations for everything he does are sky-high and I have never been disappointed so far. Flea's contributions on bass are excellent as always, but this is basically a Thom Yorke solo record in which he is accompanied by some very talented instrumentalists doing what he tells them. Lyrically and musically this album is densely layered and intricate. Critics who harp on the purported "inscrutability" or "meaninglessness" of Thom's lyrics are simply too dull to interpret them, the kind of people who probably didn't read enough of "the canon" in secondary school. His lyrics are poignant, subtle, and beautifully oblique. For example, on "Before Your Very Eyes", he doesn't sing something artlessly direct like "gee son I'm getting older now and my impending mortality has taught me that you better gather ye rosebuds while ye may because life is a crapshoot", he's just going to croon mournfully about "time's fickle card game with you and I", because he's Thom Yorke, and he has read books. What a great album. Expand
  15. Apr 17, 2014
    Debut albums are usually great, in some way cornerstone for the rest of the artist's or band's career.
    This is debut album, but this guys are not newbies. Far from it.
    I can't decide if this album make me depressed or exhilarated. Maybe it makes me bipolar. Sure thing is that makes me creative. But every Radiohead/Thom Yorke thing does. I love his voice (in both literal and literary
    sense). For some time now sounds on their web site are my background.
    Echoes of empty world. But that was on some level inspiration or aspiration or theme of album? Right?
    But maybe I got it wrong. I love this album very much. I do however, miss potential of Flea potential.
    Does that makes sense?

I adore the way songs so simply spill into each other. Like one giant symphony.
    I love traces of Massive Attack's "Dissolved Girl".
    I love traces of Clint Mansell's "Requiem For A Dream" soundtrack.
    And I especially love the last song which sums the whole album.

I do love words games. The whole AMOK thing. And word peace coming right out of O in the album cover.

If you can listen this album without any knowledge of who Thom Yorke or Flea or Nigel Godrich are, you will love it. Scratch that. You will adore it. I can't say if this is as good as it gets from Atoms for Peace. But it is great already.

1. Oct 4, 2013
    While not as inscrutable as Yorke's finest work, Amok brings him one step closer to blurring that distinction between man and machine.
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    There are moments of warped magic--haunting melodies, neat instrumental hooks, surprising turns of key and mood--but there are also times when you suspect it might have been more interesting to hear what Yorke and his collaborators came up with in the studio before it got eaten by ProTools.
    Amok is a tenaciously rich and strong album that is certainly the work of gifted musicians.