Anastasis

7.9

Review this album

1. Sep 3, 2012
    Simply and exquisitely divine. This work shows that both Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard have grown musically during their solo periods. I couldn't be happier that they are reunited, and this album was worth the wait! If you have ever enjoyed a Dead Can Dance song in the past, you will definitely enjoy this album!
  2. Sep 10, 2012
    A glorious return to form. It's almost as if their voices have gotten even better with age. Brendan's deeper and more mature sounding to Lisa's effortless and hauntingly beautiful. I saw them live in Chicago and they really jammed. They played every song off of this album. They opened with "Children of the Sun" just like the album and it made for an appropriate opener. I ordered a deluxeA glorious return to form. It's almost as if their voices have gotten even better with age. Brendan's deeper and more mature sounding to Lisa's effortless and hauntingly beautiful. I saw them live in Chicago and they really jammed. They played every song off of this album. They opened with "Children of the Sun" just like the album and it made for an appropriate opener. I ordered a deluxe box set in which the cd came with along with a credit card sized unit with an sd card chip that rotates open on one side that goes into a usb slot. Wow. What amazing sound quality. It's rated at 24-bit 192 khz and I can tell the difference between it and the cd. It's the best sound quality I have ever heard at home. Ever. Of course having a pricey high-fidelity sound card doesn't hurt either. I wonder if more artists will do this sort of thing as popular computer audio is these days. Ok, back to the album. I think I gave it a fair score. It's not my favorite of theirs, but definitely not my least favorite. It's not commercial sounding. It's not overly produced. The lyrics are decent to pretty good. But I think the heart of the goodness on this album is it's song structure, sound quality, and their voices have, perhaps, never sounded better. Some stand out tracks appear more and more added with each or at least more listens to it. It's not often you can hear artists come back into the studio in over 15 years with an album that sounds this damn good. To any Dead Can Dance fan out there, this is a must have. Also, try and catch them on tour if you can. They most definitely "still got it." Expand

1. Uncut
    Sep 14, 2012
    The duo's artfully woven sonic tapestry is somewhat spoiled by the po-faced new age banalities of their lyrics. [Oct 2012, p.74]
  2. Q Magazine
    Sep 7, 2012
    Dark subjects [apocalypse], perhaps, but surprisingly enjoyable all the same. [Oct 2012, p.97]
  3. Aug 29, 2012
    From the first few notes, it's clear that the duo's signature blend of worldbeat rhythms and ancient melodies with rich electronic atmospheres is still potent, if leaning toward the synthesized side of DCD's lush sound.