Apocalypse - Bill Callahan
7.9

Review this album

1. Apr 15, 2011
    A cynic could easily criticize Callahan, whether recording under the Smog moniker or this one, for a lack of emotional range. And I would definitely see where they're coming from. Not many songs seem to stray out of the sparse, repetitive music, ambivalent dread and laconic poetry that Callahan creates for his songs. If you dislike one Callahan song, chances are that you're going to dislike them all. Being an avid Smog-fan, I think this is like criticizing Kandinsky for only painting lines. If you really listen there are many nuances to Callahan's work, and what he lacks in hooks and traditional songwriting talents, he easily makes up for with his artistic persistence and unique style. Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2011
    This is my favourite since A River Ain't Too Much To Love, though I still really enjoyed the last couple. One Fine Morning is my highlight, bleeding out a sense of clarity that matches his apparent inspiration.

1. May 27, 2011
    Callahan eschews the gorgeous rococo arrangements that guided Eagle in favor of bare-bones guitar, muted fiddle surges, and a generally more restrained approach on Apocalypse, with ample space left for an emphasis on his rich baritone and trenchant lyrics. [may 2011, p.83]
  2. May 17, 2011
    Not one of his career's frequent great leap forward, but still a thrilling delivery system for his formidable gifts. [May 2011, p.100]
  3. May 17, 2011
    If his vocals sound phoned in on those, when he does engage, his half-spoken, half-threatening drawl on the homesick America! and Universal Applicant evokes Gil Scott-Heron, but it;'s not enough. [May 2011, p.112]