7.8

Review this album

1. Feb 7, 2013
    This album is an overlooked masterpiece. It has the sort of kookiness the Flaming Lips can boast about while mixing in deeper, more melodic songs. "Mr. Ambulance driver" is a fantastically emotional song while "W.A.N.D." is an electric anthem of empowerment. The opening track is odd, but completely wonderful. There's a lot of atmosphere on this album and some people might find the lullsThis album is an overlooked masterpiece. It has the sort of kookiness the Flaming Lips can boast about while mixing in deeper, more melodic songs. "Mr. Ambulance driver" is a fantastically emotional song while "W.A.N.D." is an electric anthem of empowerment. The opening track is odd, but completely wonderful. There's a lot of atmosphere on this album and some people might find the lulls unpleasant, but when looked at as a whole and not just a collection of songs it's hard not to reflect on the beauty of it all. Expand
  2. matsl
    Apr 10, 2006
    i think this album is fantastic! they mix the cool 70's rock sound with more modern electronica. the lyrics are also great, playful but serious.
  3. RH
    Apr 5, 2006
    Only The Soft Bulletin is a stronger album than this collection, which is a nice group of songs that manage to gel together well, despite not having anything in common. It's one of those albums that displays everything an artist does best.
  4. BenW
    Jun 8, 2006
    Incredible album......beyond the 70's throwbacks is the psychedelic trip that we have come to know and love from this band. I am actually enjoying this album more than Yoshimi. First listen maybe a 7/10, then the depth and quality of each track just keeps on growing to form what ultimately develops into the perfect album - the natural progresssion they just had to write.
  5. lewist
    Apr 10, 2006
    I don't know what some people here are talking about "self indulgent". IMO, the Flaming Lips have managed to equal up to their expected, after Yoshimi. Some upbeats and some slower songs give the Album more character and make it more interesting - and they have still maintained their 'nice' conventions - even if this album is slightly more aggresive.
  6. coy
    Apr 3, 2006
    Best Flamin Lips record, defnitely! Even bether than Soft Bulletin.
  7. CasperM
    Apr 3, 2006
    8.5, through and through. Tis is vintage Lips!
  8. BobS
    Apr 3, 2006
    `tis a groovy album, ci senor?
  9. JonR
    Apr 4, 2006
    Though it's not absolutely perfect this album lacks any real weak points, just a few rather uninteresting ones mainly thanks to their fantastic company. It's nice to hear that they've ditched the drum samples that plagued Yoshimi though, Steve really is too great a drummer (one of my favorites) to do that for a whole album... But that's a whole different issue. At War Though it's not absolutely perfect this album lacks any real weak points, just a few rather uninteresting ones mainly thanks to their fantastic company. It's nice to hear that they've ditched the drum samples that plagued Yoshimi though, Steve really is too great a drummer (one of my favorites) to do that for a whole album... But that's a whole different issue. At War With the Mystics has turned me from being vaguely interested in the Lips to a true fan. A fantastic album to be sure, instant classic even and like the Soft Bulletin one I'll be listening to for years to come. I'd give a 93/100 or so which rounds to "9" so there you have it. Expand
  10. KellyM
    Apr 4, 2006
    The next step in the evolution of The Lips. Recognizing the past while taking a step towards the future. Did I happen to mention it sounds incredible? I can't wait to see "Pompeii AM Gotterdammerung" performed live.
  11. AliM
    Apr 6, 2006
    Awesome, mind-blowing. This album goes from pure pop in the Yeah Yeah Yeah Song to deranged funk in Free Radicals and It Overtakes Me to electro-prog in The W.A.N.D. and Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung. It's not for everyone, but I've got the feeling that this album will own my summer.
  12. MichaelJ
    Apr 6, 2006
    got a feeling this album will prove itself over time to be a bit of a classic
  13. Mr.FrankOK
    Apr 7, 2006
    This is exactly how the Flaming Lips should sound during this stage of their career, mature but experimental. This album now shares a permanent spot in my happy brain. Yummers, just complete Yummers. If "The Sound of Failure" doesn't move you, then you aren't me. I'm slightly better.
  14. gman
    Apr 8, 2006
    I was unsure about this at first but I really should've known better. It takes a few listens to make sense (but the best music does). Whether it's as great as Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi is open to debate but ultimately irrelevant. As is stands it's a great album in it's own right and yet another stunning example of the Lips' genius. This is probably the sort of I was unsure about this at first but I really should've known better. It takes a few listens to make sense (but the best music does). Whether it's as great as Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi is open to debate but ultimately irrelevant. As is stands it's a great album in it's own right and yet another stunning example of the Lips' genius. This is probably the sort of thing Gram Parsons was hoping for when he talked about 'Cosmic American Music'. Expand
  15. Brendan
    Jun 8, 2006
    While this is definitely not the best of the Lips' work, I don't have a clue how people can be so unimpressed by tracks like "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion," which is a glorious cacophany in the vein of "Riding to Work in the Year 2025." Any Pink Floyd fans out there should be taken by "Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung" and the second half of "It Overtakes Me," both of which are lifted While this is definitely not the best of the Lips' work, I don't have a clue how people can be so unimpressed by tracks like "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion," which is a glorious cacophany in the vein of "Riding to Work in the Year 2025." Any Pink Floyd fans out there should be taken by "Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung" and the second half of "It Overtakes Me," both of which are lifted almost directly from the Floyd's "Meddle" record. "Mystics" also combines the 3-D effect of "Zaireeka" with the sheen production of the last two records AND the heavy, guitar-driven edge of the early, punkier Lips (think "Oh My Gawd"-era). Excepting the rather tuneless "Haven't Got a Clue," the album is genius. Expand
  16. Landon__
    Jan 7, 2007
    Masterpiece with political undertones. Their best albumt o date
  17. johnT.
    Aug 2, 2007
    Only once I gave this a chance did I realize the amazing complexity and possibility of this album. This is an album where you can listen to it a hundred times and discover something new each time. "It over takes me" is an epic in itself.
  18. Mack
    Apr 11, 2006
    This album is great. It's diverse, experimental, fun, and it seems to encompass the perfect mix of new ideas with just enough accessibility. To quote from below: "...i can't imagine any of these tracks stripped down to just a voice and guitar/keyboard, which is one measure of a well written song..." - tom z. What? Maybe that's due to a lack of imagination on your part. This album is great. It's diverse, experimental, fun, and it seems to encompass the perfect mix of new ideas with just enough accessibility. To quote from below: "...i can't imagine any of these tracks stripped down to just a voice and guitar/keyboard, which is one measure of a well written song..." - tom z. What? Maybe that's due to a lack of imagination on your part. First of all, stripping a song down isn't necessarily a measure of a song - and sometimes that task just takes a little imagination. Consider that John Mayer covered Radiohead's song "Kid A". Not exactly an acoustic-strummer on first listen. Anyway, most of the poor reviews of this album are probably due to the new fans of the group expect another Yoshimi - especially the accessibility of that album. That one was great, but a band as original as the Flaming Lips face a catch-22 with their subsequent releases. If they don't experiment and simply remain static, they'll surely make some fans happy (and possibly score some radio hits) but the critics will bash them for staying complacent. If they experiment, then many fans will be polarized by the new sounds, but the band at least gets to flex their creative minds. So, to me, it's great, and I don't want the Lips to ever stay the same - every album seems like a discovery, which is wonderful. Expand
  19. Jack-
    Awesome.
  20. Fred
    Apr 10, 2006
    I liked this album a lot. The music took a while to grow on me but after listening to it a few times I loved it. Its not as good as the rest of the albums. But definatly worth buying.
    Classic Number 3
  22. mikaell
    Apr 12, 2006
    i think this album is a very good continuation of their previous work. you never know what those guys will do, they'll suprise you everytime with new fantastic material. i don't understand why this album received so poor reviews - i think it's one of their best albums yet!
  23. DanM
    Apr 13, 2006
    Lips fans who gave this album low scores need to listen to it more. After the first two spins I would have rated it maybe a 6. But after a few days now it's right up there. Brilliant!
  24. NickS
    Apr 13, 2006
    this, unlike most lips albums, takes a good deal of listens to get into. albums like yoshimi and soft bullitin jump out at you as being amazing, where as at war with the mysitics takes some time to get used to the new sound of the lips. after getting use to it i started to realize how great these songs are. so if you dont like it give it another try
  25. mykles
    Apr 13, 2006
    ok, so the lips could have gone in one of two directions with this album: rehashing the same sound they've beaten to death over the last 2 albums or doing something completely different. one direction meant a safe album full of mr. ambulance nonsense and the other direction meant an experimental effort. it's not a flawless album, but at least it takes chances.
  26. RandyM
    Apr 15, 2006
    It's another brilliant album by the Flaming Lips. A lot of people who are dissing it are fans who are unfairly comparing it to the previous albums. These are superficial, knee-jerk reactions. This album will stand the test of time, it's brilliant.
  27. PeggyM
    Apr 25, 2006
    This album is amazing and will make you weep a euphoric weep.
  28. AaronQ
    Apr 28, 2006
    Not "The Soft Bulletin," not even close... but still a complete mindjob. Definitely gets better and better with every listen. The most enjoyable totally out there album since "Soft Bulletin."
  29. RyanG
    Apr 29, 2006
    This the album that, like The Wall, but not The Wall, all the critics who hit their thirties in the past few decades will never fully appreciate but in time will have it's place atop those life defining top ten lists for anyone who has yet to leave their younger days behind and take life to be more serious than it actually is.
  30. DerekM.
    Apr 3, 2006
    Yes, somewhat derivative of 'Yoshimi', but spectacular nonetheless.
  31. MelS
    Apr 4, 2006
    The Flaming Lips continue on with another brilliant album about space, politics, life, death and weird silliness. Don't listen to the mixed reviews, it's great.
  32. BlayzeH
    Apr 4, 2006
    No emotional grasp to the songs like Soft Bulletin had, but typical Wayne Coyne brilliance, so it was given a high rating.
  33. DamianM
    Apr 4, 2006
    The early records- 7.5 Transmissions- 9 Clouds- 10 Zaireeka- 9 TSB- 10 Yoshimi- 9 AWWTM- 9 Another masterpiece to add to the collection. Some people try too hard with reviews, don't they?
  34. JackL
    Apr 4, 2006
    After the success of Yoshimi, it's refreshing to hear this band continue to change their style instead of pulling a Nickelback and releasing the same record over and over. This CD takes the energy and guitar-centric sound of albums like Clouds Taste Metallic and combines it with the production values of Soft Bulletin. That said, there are a few misteps on this album; it gets off to a After the success of Yoshimi, it's refreshing to hear this band continue to change their style instead of pulling a Nickelback and releasing the same record over and over. This CD takes the energy and guitar-centric sound of albums like Clouds Taste Metallic and combines it with the production values of Soft Bulletin. That said, there are a few misteps on this album; it gets off to a rather weak start with the catchy, but grating "Yeah Yeah Yeah" song and "Free Radicals". The album's second half makes up for this, and then some. It's not as good as Yoshimi, or the Soft Bulletin, but it definitely stands up to those records in it's own way. If you have yet to get either of those CDs, definitely look into them first. Big FLips fans like me will find a lot to love here. Expand
  35. AdrianP
    Apr 6, 2006
    neta este disco esta muy muy bueno, es totalmente el estilo de los mismisimos flaming, un poco loco pero musicalmente hipnotizante. No lo comparo con pasados como yoshimi, o el soft bulletin, pero en si este disco es emocionante. Great album, takes a while to settle in, but once youre in, just enjoy the ride. love these guys
  36. PeterJ
    Apr 7, 2006
    It is a very rare thing indeed when an album leaves the listener with a sense of fulfilment, excitement and wonder at the end of each listen. This, the eleventh full studio album from the Lips, pitches its tone in that sublime g-spot between joy and melancholy. Divine music. To ears well educated by the Lips back catalogue this comes out to be a culmination of their capabilities. A record It is a very rare thing indeed when an album leaves the listener with a sense of fulfilment, excitement and wonder at the end of each listen. This, the eleventh full studio album from the Lips, pitches its tone in that sublime g-spot between joy and melancholy. Divine music. To ears well educated by the Lips back catalogue this comes out to be a culmination of their capabilities. A record that challenges and excites, invents and develops, enchants and invigorates. Truly stunning and life affirming. Expand
  37. Cosmo
    Apr 7, 2006
    Why bother to get all technical. Simply, there is nobody making music like this. This is great stuff. Bravo!
  38. DamianoM
    Apr 8, 2006
    I really wanted to like this album....and I ended up loving it. Ifr the mainstream doesn't get it then its their loss. And those people giving it low scores must have downloaded a Nickleback torrent. Buy this album and it will become another shining jewel in the crown of your Flaming Lips music collection. Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
  39. Jules
    May 2, 2006
    What a joyous and thrilling album to live with! It is its diversity that I love - it'll make you laugh, cry and hurl as Wayne would say. I found Yoshimi beautiful and interesting but a little sleep inducing after a while and while soft bulletin is more cohesive and def a work of genius, Mystics is a different beast altogether - its genius lies in its sprawling diversity and rough What a joyous and thrilling album to live with! It is its diversity that I love - it'll make you laugh, cry and hurl as Wayne would say. I found Yoshimi beautiful and interesting but a little sleep inducing after a while and while soft bulletin is more cohesive and def a work of genius, Mystics is a different beast altogether - its genius lies in its sprawling diversity and rough edges. God forbid that our acid gods could have so much fun while raging against the machine - personally I'm glad they shed some of the pompositythat was starting to develop with Yoshimi. Expand
  40. AlexA
    Jun 11, 2006
    Simply brilliant! Best Album of 2006 so far.
  41. StephenI
    Jun 29, 2006
    I love it, simple beats, great tunes, awesome music, I love it!
  42. MihaiV
    Sep 29, 2006
    A succes. I love all the different sounds. That's how a modern album should be: full all experiments, not just playing safe pretty tunes.
  43. tomk
    Apr 11, 2006
    I think this is their best album and considering I love most of their other work thats saying something for me. I cant believe this is getting negative reviews..
  44. Craig
    Apr 12, 2006
    YES! What a great album, up there with the lips finest, not a stinker on this one. Filled with great melodies, amazing instrumentation from Steven Drozd and cool lyrics penned by Wayne Coyne. Go buy this album if you haven't!
  45. PrasR
    Apr 25, 2006
    If this album indeed gets better with more listens it might be a 10.
  46. MichaelC
    May 17, 2006
    This album is simply mindblowing. Joins Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and The Soft Bulletin in the pantheon of amazing Lips albums.
  47. Sep 3, 2011
    To be honest, I didn't like this album as much at first. The Flaming Lips are my favorite band, and this album just didn't do it for me at first.

Then I listened to it again. While "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" can certainly be annoying to many who haven't listened to The Flaming Lips, its a very clever song I think, along with many of the other songs on this album. Mr. Ambulance Driver is

Then I listened to it again.

While "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" can certainly be annoying to many who haven't listened to The Flaming Lips, its a very clever song I think, along with many of the other songs on this album. Mr. Ambulance Driver is another great song, about someone who wishes he could be in his friend's place. The Flaming Lips, between The Soft Bulletin and this album have this overarching theme of love, and At War With The Mystics continues it, with, as I said, Mr. Ambulance Driver, My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion, and Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung. As others have said, it certainly is different from other Lips' albums, but nonetheless great. More electronic than the others, and more strange. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the album. Its no Soft Bulletin, but its not bad, like everyone seems to be saying. I would go so far to say that its actually pretty good.

1. Coyne is a shrewd observer of human nature, and an even shrewder songwriter and this album stands as his greatest and most varied work yet.
    Each consecutive [song] is stranger than the last. [#19, p.88]
  3. The weird part is how well this stuff holds together, a delirious jumble of android psychedelia and Coyne's elliptical wordplay that goes down as easily as warm milk (spiked with acid). [26 Mar 2006]