8.1

Review this album

1. Jul 28, 2011
    Jesus Christ!!! what the hell is up with all the haters and the **** score??? you people must be more interested in queer ass music like tao cruiz or justin beiber. man screw all of you who gave this a bad review!! this band and album must be too badass for you!
  2. Sep 19, 2010
    Like most A7X albums, it starts out strong then loses my attention five tracks in. This is definitely not an album I can put in and listen to all the way through without yawning. That said, there are some very catch tracks (Scream, Almost Easy) that'll be stuck in your head all day. Not strong throughout though.
  3. Aug 19, 2010
    While not a terrible album it certainly could have been a lot stronger. But these fanboys getting butt-hurt over the critics are just simply deluded.
  4. Nov 27, 2010
    Definitely a different feel then there last album, Avenged has fully turned over the leaf they started with waking the fallen. With every album following Sounding the Seventh trumpet, Shadows has incorporated more and more melodic singing. Where Waking the Fallen was 50/50 and City of Evil was 75/25 this album has just about completely done away with the heavy screaming of songs past.Definitely a different feel then there last album, Avenged has fully turned over the leaf they started with waking the fallen. With every album following Sounding the Seventh trumpet, Shadows has incorporated more and more melodic singing. Where Waking the Fallen was 50/50 and City of Evil was 75/25 this album has just about completely done away with the heavy screaming of songs past. Not that that's a bad thing its just a different sound to hardcore fans. Many have trashed them for it but I see it as a brilliant career choice. Death Metal is a dying genre. You can call it selling out if you want but I actually think this gives them much more potential creativity and fan base. You cant fault them for enjoying playing in front of 10,000 fans compared to 200. Bands evolve over times and this album is proof A7X has as well. And the crazy solos and rediculous drumming is still there. Listen to the Afterlife solo and tell me thats not epic. Hate if you want but by incorporating a more catchy style to their still insanely talented skill probably added at least 3-4 chart topping albums to their future. Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2015
    It's not like the metal albums that came before. It's definitely still Avenged Sevenfold, but this time they experiment with their sound by including elements of orchestras, country music, and... Autotune? Eh, they make it work.

The singles on this album are some of the band's best. "Almost Easy" and "Critical Acclaim" are the heaviest songs on the album and the ones that stick closest to the band's metal sound from the previous albums. Although the former is definitely a hard-rock song. "Afterlife" manages to stick with you thanks to it's haunting orchestral music and pretty-deep meaning. "Scream" is solid but didn't really do much for me. It will appeal to those who like their music with a creepy tinge though. "Dear God" is one of their slow songs. I've never really been a fan of their slower songs, but it's far from their worst.

It along with "Gunslinger" experiment with the country music in their instrumentals. I am not a country music fan in any way, but I have to say the songs aren't bad. They thankfully don't go fully into the genre so they still manage to stay at the very least listenable.

For the songs that aren't singles the lyrics can get a bit banal. The themes they carry are presented in a slightly juvenile ways. They still sound great, but they aren't going to be mistaken for high-art.

The exception to this is the song "A Little Piece of Heaven." It's another track that uses the orchestral sound and it tells a twisted story that is delightfully dark-humored. It's filled with wild imagination and creativity. It's hilarious in all the right ways. The track is a masterpiece and my personal favorite Avenged Sevenfold song.

The experimentation here mostly pays off. Outside of a few issues and inconsistencies Avenged Sevenfold crafted a great hard-rock album. Some of the band's most memorable songs are here, although they are among a few forgettable ones. It might not be the sound that caused people to fall in live with the band before, but it can still satisfy fans. The album has brought new fans to them and can continue to do so.

My total score for this self-titled album is an 8.7/10.
  6. Feb 19, 2011
    While not as good as the excellent City of Evil it's a great album in it's own right. the best songs on show here are "A Little Piece Of Heaven" "Scream" & "Afterlife" Not that the albums inconsistent. Definitely worth a listen
  7. Apr 13, 2011
    The best band ever!There music must be heard by eveyone.A7X never dissapoints when they release there music.If you like rock or metal youll love A7X.Their guitar solos are really amazing.
  8. Jun 21, 2011
    It's hard to hate Avenged Sevenfold but also hard to love it as well. The album deffinatly has its highlights and merits, including quality tunes such as Almost Easy, Afterlife and even the guilty pleasure A Little Piece of Heaven. But unfortunatly some tunes also feature some stagnant mediocrity with very little innovation. And anybody that isn't blinded by fanboyism can see that thisIt's hard to hate Avenged Sevenfold but also hard to love it as well. The album deffinatly has its highlights and merits, including quality tunes such as Almost Easy, Afterlife and even the guilty pleasure A Little Piece of Heaven. But unfortunatly some tunes also feature some stagnant mediocrity with very little innovation. And anybody that isn't blinded by fanboyism can see that this is just another run-of-the-mill and mainstream rock album. Enjoyable no the less. Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2015
    Don't listen to the haters, this is a great metal album and a great band! This album has great vocals along with great guitar and drum work. Also, this band is amazing live they put on a show full of energy!
  10. Sep 3, 2011
    This Self Titled album is an explosion of everything Avenged Sevenfold with Awesome Tracks Like Gunslinger Critical Acclaim Scream and Afterlife this is an album that Is worth Checking out for fans of the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal music. Amd in a Comment Unrelated to the music this album is somewhat overshadowed by The Newer Avenged Songs its Underrated but its defintalty worth listing to
  11. Jan 8, 2012
    I honestly do not understand how anyone can rate this under 10! If you didn't enjoy this you have no soul!
    A little piece of heaven is definitely the best song of the century!
  12. Jun 21, 2012
    These guys are, and always will be, very good. This album definitely did have a different style, but it was still very good. I can't see why you wouldn't like it. Avenged Sevenfold rocks.
  13. Apr 11, 2012
    Yes, this album may suffer from some themes of corny unoriginality, such as religious and hellish overtones, but it is a rather good listen, with many emotional songs that are good to listen to, especially if you are going through some awful times. I also like the fact that Avenged Sevenfold are actually brave enough to experiment with so many of their songs. This one has many gems,Yes, this album may suffer from some themes of corny unoriginality, such as religious and hellish overtones, but it is a rather good listen, with many emotional songs that are good to listen to, especially if you are going through some awful times. I also like the fact that Avenged Sevenfold are actually brave enough to experiment with so many of their songs. This one has many gems, "Critical Acclaim" is a good song about the many different faults of America in politics, "Almost Easy" is a good song for grieving over loved ones, or over anything in general. "Scream" isn't particularly that good of song, but it does have a nice guitar solo in it; "Afterlife" and "Gunslinger" are two very emotional songs that are my album favorites on this album. "Unbound (The Wild Ride)" is a nice ballad that involves shrieking piano rifts mixed in with guitar solos. "Brompton Cocktail" and "Lost" are not really my most appreciated, but are okay listens. "A Little Piece Of Heaven" has a very absolutely stupid and pointless meaning, but you can appreciate it for M. Shadows' nice vocal work, and the Broadway instruments nicely mixed within, but it is a rather ugly and perverted listen. Finally, "Dear God" is a country style ballad that is actually a nice emotional song, because it is not a country song, it only has country elements in it. Overall, this album is a good one, because of Avenged Sevenfold's will to experiment. They do however stray from their own genre a little bit too much, which is the album's main flaw. Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2012
    I don't understand the hate from the critics, this album is amazing. Yes it's a different sound from City of Evil, but it's a cleaner sound (City of Evil is a mess, I'm sorry but it's true. Just listen to Beast and the Harlot closely). Melodically, it's great and Synyster Gates/Zacky Vengeance's dueling guitars sound great. M. Shadows' vocals are better than ever and The Rev'sI don't understand the hate from the critics, this album is amazing. Yes it's a different sound from City of Evil, but it's a cleaner sound (City of Evil is a mess, I'm sorry but it's true. Just listen to Beast and the Harlot closely). Melodically, it's great and Synyster Gates/Zacky Vengeance's dueling guitars sound great. M. Shadows' vocals are better than ever and The Rev's passion-filled voice adds a new dimension to a7x's sound. Highlights of the album are anything the Rev sings on and the underrated song "Lost". Expand
  15. Jun 12, 2012
    This may not be a good review if you're looking to see the ups and downs about this band, because I only have GREAT things to say about this band! I love this band so much, great lyrics, awesome instrumental and lovable guys! I love their older stuff, like the Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen album! I love Avenged Sevenfold!
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    Dear God, Almost Easy, A Little Piece of Heaven, Critical Acclaim, Scream. My favorite Avenged Sevenfold songs are all there! The other albums are very good, but none beats this one.
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    Not the best A7X album, but still good. A bit less powerful then the previous albums though.
    Let's analize every track.

Critical Acclaim
  18. Apr 6, 2015
    The production isn't the best for a metal band, or even A7x, but the greatness of the songs make up for that, I guess. And the lyrics definitely aren't the best or most original, either, but it's still enjoyable nonetheless.

Track Reviews: 1. "Critical Acclaim"-Overall, a great track, but the whispering in the beginning of each verse still kind of bothers me. 2. "Almost Easy"-sick

Track Reviews:

2. "Almost Easy"-sick instrumentation, but not the greatest lyrically-but A7x never were lyrical masters, now were they

3. "Scream"-probably the worst one so far, sounds a lot like Stone Temple Pilots, and a bit like **** 2000s radio-rock. But it's not all bad, just not a first choice favorite for me. The guitars save the song.

4. "Afterlife"-kind of generic, but that's not to say it's bad. It's a good song, in fact the second half of the song may have just made it my favorite song on this album.

5. "Gunslinger"-Not a bad song, but I feel like they did the same thing Metallica did on 1996's "Load"-they experimented with a country-esque sound mixed with hard rock...And neither of them did very well at it. Just as bad as "Scream", not terrible, but definitely not a classic song by any means. And again, the guitar solo saves the song.

6. "Unbound (The Wild Ride)"-one of the better songs on the record. Truly epic.

7. "Brompton Cocktail"-another really good song. not great, but still really good.

8. "Lost"-the best one so far. wait, never mind...the auto tune....that was...eh...the song's still good, but why, the auto tune

9. "A Little Piece of Heaven"-I am so confused! This is just so damn weird, it sounds like a mixture of 2000s emo and broadway. I'm not sure whether to love it or hate it. I literally can't rate this song at all, it's so weird. it's like broadway goes **** metal. But, I've decided...and I think I love it.

10. "Dear God"-possibly the worst song this band has ever made. It's not god-awful, but it's not very good either. The solo towards the end saves it. This song is an example of when experimenting doesn't work. The last song before this, it worked, but no. not this time. No.

If I were to count the ratings of the songs and find the percentage, it'd be about 8 and a half, but because the lyrics aren't so great, and certain elements are also relatively bland, I have to bring it down to an 8, not up to a nine.

While straying from metal's path, they uphold its legacy of conservative politics. [Nov 2007, p.148]
    With tighter, mercifully shorter songs, like the Slayer-meets-slash trasher 'Almost Easy,' they're now defiling America's youth with more substance than style. [Nov 2007, p.114]
  3. Their anthem-filled fourth album's brazen swagger may prove irresistible. [Nov 2007, p.137]