Q MagazineTheir anthem-filled fourth album's brazen swagger may prove irresistible. [Nov 2007, p.137]
SpinWith tighter, mercifully shorter songs, like the Slayer-meets-slash trasher 'Almost Easy,' they're now defiling America's youth with more substance than style. [Nov 2007, p.114]
Alternative PressAvenged Sevenfold is so all over the map musically and lyrically, it's difficult to decipher whether it's pure genius or the most convoluted mess of music you'll hear all year. [Dec 2007, p.178]
Avenged Sevenfold suffers two-fold from a dearth of genuinely good musical ideas- the infectious vocal melodies which underpin ‘Bat Country’ and ‘Sidewinder’ or the dynamic interlocking guitar lines of the latter and ‘Beast of the Harlot’- and a total absence of the critical faculties which should have allowed a small orchestral ensemble go hungry rather than become party to the madness of ‘A Little Piece of Heaven.’
YudiApr 11, 2008This album is a completely different style for Avenged Sevenfold, but in a good way. Still hard enough to rock to, but also full of This album is a completely different style for Avenged Sevenfold, but in a good way. Still hard enough to rock to, but also full of comprehensible lyrics, this quintet from Huntington Beach really surprises me with the passion that they put behind some of the songs. Along my favorites are Afterlife, which I just love as more of like a soft rock ballad, A Little Piece of Heaven (amazing song as well as music video), and Almost Easy (the guitar solo is one of my favorites).… Expand
JimW.Apr 20, 2008I read a preview of the album from A7X's own M. Shadows and he mentioned that he feels the self-titled album will have the same effect I read a preview of the album from A7X's own M. Shadows and he mentioned that he feels the self-titled album will have the same effect on his band as Metallica's self-titled had for them. And after giving the album a good listen for the 6 months it's been out, I second that statement 110%. I cannot get enough of this album. I listen to it everyday, and it is my favorite Avenged Sevenfold album.… Expand
lexibDec 26, 2007Best Album Ever!!!
KevinCNov 18, 2007wish I could say I hate this band, but unfortunately I can't. I love the album right now, but unfortunately, i know I'll get bored wish I could say I hate this band, but unfortunately I can't. I love the album right now, but unfortunately, i know I'll get bored of it pretty soon. it's got those hooks that are memorable but lose their awesomeness pretty fast. i just find iron maiden kind of boring. they've got some good stuff, but it's too classic rock. not the same genre of metal.… Expand
Apr 6, 2015The production isn't the best for a metal band, or even A7x, but the greatness of the songs make up for that, I guess. And the lyricsThe production isn't the best for a metal band, or even A7x, but the greatness of the songs make up for that, I guess. And the lyrics definitely aren't the best or most original, either, but it's still enjoyable nonetheless.
1. "Critical Acclaim"-Overall, a great track, but the whispering in the beginning of each verse still kind of bothers me.
2. "Almost Easy"-sick instrumentation, but not the greatest lyrically-but A7x never were lyrical masters, now were they
3. "Scream"-probably the worst one so far, sounds a lot like Stone Temple Pilots, and a bit like **** 2000s radio-rock. But it's not all bad, just not a first choice favorite for me. The guitars save the song.
4. "Afterlife"-kind of generic, but that's not to say it's bad. It's a good song, in fact the second half of the song may have just made it my favorite song on this album.
5. "Gunslinger"-Not a bad song, but I feel like they did the same thing Metallica did on 1996's "Load"-they experimented with a country-esque sound mixed with hard rock...And neither of them did very well at it. Just as bad as "Scream", not terrible, but definitely not a classic song by any means. And again, the guitar solo saves the song.
6. "Unbound (The Wild Ride)"-one of the better songs on the record. Truly epic.
7. "Brompton Cocktail"-another really good song. not great, but still really good.
8. "Lost"-the best one so far. wait, never mind...the auto tune....that was...eh...the song's still good, but why, the auto tune
9. "A Little Piece of Heaven"-I am so confused! This is just so damn weird, it sounds like a mixture of 2000s emo and broadway. I'm not sure whether to love it or hate it. I literally can't rate this song at all, it's so weird. it's like broadway goes **** metal. But, I've decided...and I think I love it.
10. "Dear God"-possibly the worst song this band has ever made. It's not god-awful, but it's not very good either. The solo towards the end saves it. This song is an example of when experimenting doesn't work. The last song before this, it worked, but no. not this time. No.
If I were to count the ratings of the songs and find the percentage, it'd be about 8 and a half, but because the lyrics aren't so great, and certain elements are also relatively bland, I have to bring it down to an 8, not up to a nine.… Expand
AnonNov 9, 2007Avenged have clearly tried to experiment with their new album and at times it has worked to great affect. (Scream, Critical Acclaim) But at Avenged have clearly tried to experiment with their new album and at times it has worked to great affect. (Scream, Critical Acclaim) But at times they have tried things that simply don't work (A little piece of Heaven). The beauty of City of Evil was the energy that could be felt from each song, the thing that kept you listening again and again. The first half of the new album retains this but with songs towards the end you'll find yourself moving on long before the song ends.… Expand
VinnieVOct 31, 2007Avenged Sevenfold may be one of the worst bands that I have heard in the past decade. Don't buy this or anything else from them.
- By user score
|Honeymoon - Lana Del Rey|
|Art Angels - Grimes|
|Thank Your Lucky Stars - Beach House|
|Better Nature - Silversun Pickups|
|Music Complete - New Order|
|VEGA INTL. Night School - Neon Indian|
|In Another Life - Bilal|
|Sun Leads Me On - Half Moon Run|
|DJ-Kicks: DJ Koze - DJ Koze|
|How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence + the Machine|
|The Book of Souls - Iron Maiden|
|New Bermuda - Deafheaven|
|Meliora - Ghost B.C.|
|Dealer - Foxing|
|Four Pink Walls [EP] - Alessia Cara|
|Back To The Woods - Angel Haze|
|Harmlessness - The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die|
|Sermon on the Rocks - Josh Ritter|
|In Colour - Jamie xx|
|Mutant - Arca|