• Record Label: RCA
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2006
8.8

Review this album

1. Nov 21, 2011
    I Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this album
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Whoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40sWhoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40s songs to mainstream pop music. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman,Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman, Save Me From Myself and Mercy On Me. Expand
  4. Aug 9, 2012
    Christina Aguilera's best album so far. One of the best album of 2006. Ain't No Other Man, Hurt, Candyman, Welcome and Mercy on Me are just amazing !!!
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    Christina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of themChristina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of them sampling one of Xtina's favouite songs. Second disc partially foreshadows what will happen in 2010 on "Burlesque" soundtrack. Even if "Enter The Circus" is a mess the rest of the CD is flawless. It conatins both sexy songs like "Candyman", "Nasty Naughty Boy" and "I Got Trouble" vulnerable, beauiful ballads like "Welcome", "Save Me From Myself", "The Right Man" and finally Christina's best song ever done "Hurt.

6. Oct 4, 2013
    Now, that's is what they call music. It's an amazing pop album flavored with 40's, 50's, 60's Jazz and Blues materials. The lyrics are amazing same th the beats and the vocal performance. A true masterpiece.
  7. Dec 4, 2013
    This is the album that Beyoncé always wanted to do, sophisticated, well crafted and extremely tasteful, Back to Basics itself as a masterpiece of Christina Aguilera.
  8. DaveH
    Sep 12, 2006
    It's NOT a little crass and self-centred, it's EXTREMELY crass and self-centred, just like the boring bimbo who released it.
  9. charlottef
    Oct 1, 2006
    shes so boring and just because you have a powerful voice doesn't mean it's any good
  10. MandyD
    Aug 14, 2006
    Isn't even worthy of being released. She's so fake.
  11. moolalotsa
    Aug 15, 2006
    Hideous music from the most delusional and empty-headed pop star ... EVER. Someone deflate her bloated head and charge her for making such awful music. Truly the worst pop star of all time.
  12. gilm
    Aug 20, 2006
    "Ain't no other man". Billy Hollyday!? Jazzy!!?? Michael Jackson all over, that's what it has... Double unoriginal: in genre an in interpretation!
  13. LanieL
    Aug 14, 2006
    Only like a few songs, but even among those I can only listen to half the song. I really cannot take her screaming. A lot of this album is very boring to me. I love Understand, Save me from myself, Without You. Don't like F.U.S.S. Wtf is Enter the Circus? Back in the Day is BORING! Thank you is annoyingly egotistical. Lyrics are decent except for the hypocrisy of Here to Stay and Only like a few songs, but even among those I can only listen to half the song. I really cannot take her screaming. A lot of this album is very boring to me. I love Understand, Save me from myself, Without You. Don't like F.U.S.S. Wtf is Enter the Circus? Back in the Day is BORING! Thank you is annoyingly egotistical. Lyrics are decent except for the hypocrisy of Here to Stay and FUSS (assuming its about Mr. Storch) In Here to Stay she says she doesn't pay attention to the negative kind, yet she has FUSS on the album. Good job not paying attention! Expand
  14. mikes.
    Aug 16, 2006
    AMG overrated this album and this album is in my opinion worse than stripped. The main reason is that this album is simply not pop. The production is awful, old sounding, and the genre she's singing seems to be something one would hear on broadway during the 50's. That is why other critics praise this album just because it sounds different. But this type of different is bad, and AMG overrated this album and this album is in my opinion worse than stripped. The main reason is that this album is simply not pop. The production is awful, old sounding, and the genre she's singing seems to be something one would hear on broadway during the 50's. That is why other critics praise this album just because it sounds different. But this type of different is bad, and just plain whack. The only reason this type of album will have success is because its coming from a main stream artist. If an indie artist released this crap it would absolutely go unrecognized and be critically served a cold dish as well. Collapse
  15. ChrisW
    Aug 23, 2006
    She really missed on this one. If you're going to make a CD that has influences of early Blues and Jazz, why not go the full route? Just by saying the names of former Music Legends does not put you in that catagory. Far from it in fact. She got an amazing voice, but poor songwriting and weak productions fail these CD's.
  16. MattS
    Aug 29, 2006
    Honestly, the ablum sucked to me. Becuase i mean seriously, she shifter from waering a whorey dress in that "Dirty" video and now, "Im trying to be serious"? Please, leave that to rock bands. Too much Pop music has flooded Teens , and that gives groups like 'Backstreet boys' 'Panic at the disco' and 'Beyonce' to make teeny music that will be xpected to be a Honestly, the ablum sucked to me. Becuase i mean seriously, she shifter from waering a whorey dress in that "Dirty" video and now, "Im trying to be serious"? Please, leave that to rock bands. Too much Pop music has flooded Teens , and that gives groups like 'Backstreet boys' 'Panic at the disco' and 'Beyonce' to make teeny music that will be xpected to be a big hit even though it's pontless, but they think they're GODS, so it's that what blinds people from PASSIONATE music. Believe me, I at first like Christina's music with that song "Beatiful' because she sounds more serious and more powerful with melodi songs, but now, what? "Ain't No Other Man'? Come on people, we hear that tune off MTV everyday! We neeed something new today! Music is rotting day by day! The same rap beat in everysong, the same dance beat in every song! Please get real and make sometihng unique. It's honestly annoying. Expand
  17. MyraP.
    Sep 6, 2006
    The album is too overdone, and Christina never really embodies the music she's so desperately trying to emulate.
  18. DaveW
    Aug 15, 2006
    I'm sorry, but overall this CD is a mess. It's like Christina is trying to hard. The production, her vocals, everything. Too over the top. "Makes Me Wanna Pray" is like faux gospel and it comes off really fake. "Ain't No Other Man" suffers from her oversinging the song. Most of disc one is a piece of garbage. The only good songs come from disc 2, and there aren't many. I'm sorry, but overall this CD is a mess. It's like Christina is trying to hard. The production, her vocals, everything. Too over the top. "Makes Me Wanna Pray" is like faux gospel and it comes off really fake. "Ain't No Other Man" suffers from her oversinging the song. Most of disc one is a piece of garbage. The only good songs come from disc 2, and there aren't many. In fact, the only spectacular song is "Save Me From Myself," a song that entices chills without Aguilera screaming like a madwoman. It's easily her best song to date. Too bad most of the record is nothing like that song. Less is more, Christina. You may say you went back to basics, but really you went as over the top as possible on this one. Better luck next time. Expand
  19. BrianK
    Aug 16, 2006
    A misfire on so many levels. It would probably take several pages to fully flesh out everything that is wrong with the album. To start off with, Christina comparing herself to the great singers of our time (Ella, Etta, Nina, among others) is preposterous. Yes, she is a phenomenal singer, easily the strongest one on the radio right now, but peeling away the shine of her vocal acrobatics A misfire on so many levels. It would probably take several pages to fully flesh out everything that is wrong with the album. To start off with, Christina comparing herself to the great singers of our time (Ella, Etta, Nina, among others) is preposterous. Yes, she is a phenomenal singer, easily the strongest one on the radio right now, but peeling away the shine of her vocal acrobatics reveals a staggering immaturity and lack of emotion in her voice 95% of the time. She lacks the timelessness and artistic generosity that is required of greatness -- it is and always will be about Xtina. And this is a huge thing on the whole record; her pride is beaten into your skull over and over again. Where to start on other things that are wrong... too broad a vision leads to lack of focus; too much belting and riffs deaden their effect; attempts at jazz come off as loungy and second-rate. But the real killer, the biggest unforgivable sin, is the track "Thank You." It is, in my opinion, the absolute worst kind of music that can be made -- music that not only makes the rest of the album worse, but also makes you feel bad for both the artist and the artist's fans. A handful of tunes that work (the most notable being "Candyman") redeem the album from a 0 or a 1. Expand
  20. VictorG
    Dec 22, 2007
    GREAT ALBUM!
  21. ntukziem
    Aug 21, 2006
    xtina bridges the gap with her best work yet... awesome album!!!
  22. JamesT
    Aug 23, 2006
    Phenomenal.... one word says it all... excellent work girl!
  23. R.M.Bronson
    Aug 6, 2006
    Stellar. Excellent. A must buy. Definitely a frontrunner for Album of the Year.
  24. dgfgdgffdg
    sexy
  25. FrankN
    Aug 7, 2006
    The best female voice out there!
  26. MohammedS
    Aug 7, 2006
    Brilliant, brilliant album. She has more authentic hiphop beats than the NY rappers. She put them all to shame, and I can't believe I just said that.
  27. KennyH
    Sep 18, 2006
    It's an AMAZING album!.. it's very different, compared to stripped. but I think this cd is more 'happy':).. it's superb! Personally I like the second cd little bit more:)
  28. StephenN
    Sep 2, 2006
    I think this is Christina's Best Album So Far.I particularly like Disc 2 Better than Disc 1.and her vocal talent comes out strong on this Album so close to what she really loves.
  29. MarkW
    Sep 3, 2006
    It shows through the music that she really put time into making this album. This album isn't for everybody, but for those people out there that are looking for QUALITY pop music, this is the CD for you.
  30. Tiar
    Sep 6, 2006
    Aguilera shows her vocal prowess once again in an original, funky mix of heart wrenching ballads, sassy 40's bar room swingers, and soulful tributes to the legends of the first half of the twentieth century. The chameleon-like Aguilera has shed her skin from a bubblegum teen pop princess to a dirrty chaps wearing rebel to a subtely sensual traditional soul/pop/r'n'b queen. Aguilera shows her vocal prowess once again in an original, funky mix of heart wrenching ballads, sassy 40's bar room swingers, and soulful tributes to the legends of the first half of the twentieth century. The chameleon-like Aguilera has shed her skin from a bubblegum teen pop princess to a dirrty chaps wearing rebel to a subtely sensual traditional soul/pop/r'n'b queen. And for that, I applaud her. Expand
  31. aczxc
    Feb 22, 2007
    tdy
  32. katiec
    Mar 3, 2007
    don't understand the bad reviews, the album is brilliant! i love candyman and hurt they are the best songs.
  33. BálintK
    May 8, 2007
    This album is very good
  34. FredricE.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Best release of 2006.. Christina has grown so much into a more mature artist. shes just perfect.
  35. DevonS
    Feb 3, 2010
    Excellent album. She sounds like a woman in control of her career and you can't get any better than "Mercy on Me," "Hurt," "On Our Way," and "Ain't No Other Man." She is amazing and has the best voice of this generation.
  36. AnaB.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Christina Aguilera is by far one of if not the greatest singer of our generation. I love the new sound she provided on Back to Basics. Sometimes a couple of songs sounded too similar to others, but overall I loved it.
  37. ChrisM
    Oct 12, 2006
    I'm agree that without a few songs this would be a master piece... Disc 2 is outrageous... Some of the Disc 1 is not working for me, but comparing this album with the emo trash or the stupid pop out there, she demands a lot of respect hands down... And I can smell the grammys here too...
  38. pattys
    Nov 20, 2006
    love it!!
  39. miyoj
    Dec 7, 2006
    albun of the year!!!!!
  40. manuelm
    Aug 12, 2006
    A well produced album. It doesn't even seem like a double album. DJ Premier and Linda Perry did a good job.
  41. AH
    Aug 17, 2006
    An instant classic from an artist that continues to improve with age, this girl adds an 'x factor' to every track that lifts them to another level. Christina is the greatest talent of her generation, and though others such as Kelly Clarkson are worthy successors, she remains THE best pop vocalist of our time.
  42. TunM
    Aug 17, 2006
    She is the best female singer in the world right now & this album is such a classic...simply amazing...Still dirrty,Hurt,The Right Man,Mercy on Me,Save me from myself,Here to stay,Without you"& so..so many great songs in 2 cds...she'll win Album of the year with this "back to Basics" in Grammy time ....
  43. CorinneH
    Aug 17, 2006
    This album is cluttered, clunky and self-obsessed. If you want to listen to several hours of Christina singing about herself and how wonderful she and her husband are to the tune of old jazz, then this album is for you.
  44. JoeC
    Aug 18, 2006
    Great album Every song is wonderfull!!
  45. richardj
    Aug 18, 2006
    This album is a mixed bag, it's not bad, but not great, at first listesn i was going to take the CD back to the shop but I prefer the second disc as it' has more solid songs! But three of my criticisms of this album, which take the pints of 10 is: Christina needs to learn to control her wonderful voice, probably one of the best and unique in pop music, why? she could have used This album is a mixed bag, it's not bad, but not great, at first listesn i was going to take the CD back to the shop but I prefer the second disc as it' has more solid songs! But three of my criticisms of this album, which take the pints of 10 is: Christina needs to learn to control her wonderful voice, probably one of the best and unique in pop music, why? she could have used her range but not the belting out voice(too musical/showy sounding) all the time, if you sing jazz it's phrasing, emotion and control but also subtlies, like the greats use ella, sarah vaughn, billie holiday! Two their is a lot of crappy tracks (thank you is sickly! to name one!) which if edited the album properly could have been cut to a 15 track album disc! The third is the artist Lina does this music mixing jazz/r & b and I think christina maybe needed to hear her album to make hers solid, maybe even ue travis house as porducer! Expand
  46. ChristinaN
    Aug 18, 2006
    In my opinion, Christina has made a master piece. Of 22 songs (including interludes) I only find myself skipping 3. One of them being an interlude. This means 19 great songs.
  47. IanS
    Aug 20, 2006
    No current pop artist can touch Christina, vocally. She proves that this record. No current pop artist can reach Christina, artistically. She proves that this record. No current pop artist makes pop records of this calibur. Christina has.
  48. GillesB
    Aug 22, 2006
    I'm not really a fan of christina, but this record is pure bliss... loads of catchy tunes, rather original compared to what she's done before... i'm buying!
  49. JeffreyQ
    Aug 20, 2006
    definitely a great comeback album, back to basics is packed with cool dance music (ain't no other man, slow down baby and candyman), soft ballads (without you and save me from myself), and powerful vocal acrobatics (understand, mercy on me, and makes me wanna pray). it is an eclectic mix of everything that can be classified pop and it contains the best interlude ever: enter the definitely a great comeback album, back to basics is packed with cool dance music (ain't no other man, slow down baby and candyman), soft ballads (without you and save me from myself), and powerful vocal acrobatics (understand, mercy on me, and makes me wanna pray). it is an eclectic mix of everything that can be classified pop and it contains the best interlude ever: enter the circus + welcome. Expand
  50. ElizabethR
    Aug 24, 2006
    I love Back to basics.
  51. Jed
    Aug 26, 2006
    This is by far the best album I've heard this year. Christina has really grown as an artist. I can't stop listening to the songs. Keep up the good work girl!!!
  52. OdaiA
    Aug 6, 2006
    Album of the year, hands down.
  53. Rob
    Aug 6, 2006
    What a major step forward from Stripped..though this is classified as Pop, the album really spans all genres WITH a purpose. Christina is really pushing herself and its great to see...nice album.
  54. christinar
    Aug 6, 2006
    pure perfection. its a grammy contender. best album of the year so far and aguilera's best effort.
  55. tenzingd
    Aug 9, 2006
    christina´s versatile voice is a strength she uses to idolise the great singers of blues and jazz of the past. I have already listened the album, back to basic. She is getter better and better. she blows you out.
  56. AntonioB
    Sep 15, 2006
    The best album from this singer. Very unique and interesting. The sounds, the voice, the lyrics, it's all perfect and different.
  57. despor
    Sep 17, 2006
    I love this cd, i love the fact that it is different to what other people are releasing, she deserves all the sucess with this. Amazing.
  58. MarquisW
    Sep 21, 2006
    Definately not better then Stripped, but that was far to hard to top. I enjoyed the album for what it was!
  59. amandad
    Sep 2, 2006
    Chrisitina has delivered as usual...great tunes and excellent vocals. She does what any artist does by borrowing from her predecessors. I like the fact that they inspired her music, and it is very obvious throughout the album, BUT it is still very much her own. There are a lot of playful songs, but she doesn't forget to include meaningful songs like "Sorry." The double disc album is Chrisitina has delivered as usual...great tunes and excellent vocals. She does what any artist does by borrowing from her predecessors. I like the fact that they inspired her music, and it is very obvious throughout the album, BUT it is still very much her own. There are a lot of playful songs, but she doesn't forget to include meaningful songs like "Sorry." The double disc album is amazing and actually a great deal when you consider the fact that you are getting about two albums worth of music in one. Expand
  60. desireeb
    Sep 20, 2006
    Christina Aguilera did a fantastic job on this album, she wanted something different to change the way people see her... her voice is so powerful and the style of music is classic.
  61. mAzc
    Sep 5, 2006
    I think this album is fab! Craggy has got such an interestin n unique voice! Best album of the year!
  62. BigDog
    Feb 1, 2007
    I don't understand the low ratings for this album. It is absolutely brilliant. This has my vote for album of the year hands down. Christina-Rules!
  63. EdwardH
    May 8, 2007
    Another dope ass album from Aguilera. She just keepz excelin' in brilliance every time. I love Candyman and ain't no other man best. But I like all tha songs 2. They ain't no bad songs at in this album. Their all trill. you go Girl!
  64. SandyT
    Nov 12, 2006
    Clean, Moving, Playing, Noise.
  65. DanielC
    Oct 12, 2006
    this is by far one of the greatest most creative album she has done. she is one of the artist in 20 or 30 years from now recieving a lifetime acheivement award. ill say it's better than stripped becuz of creativity luv u xtina, aka babyjane
  66. stephanie
    Oct 13, 2006
    it has very nice songs in the cd
  67. Lyssha
    Oct 16, 2006
    Not perfect, and definitly not as good as stripped, but it is a good album. Most of the songs are likeable, some are amazing, and some have to grow on you a bit. Overall, a good album and a good achievement for Ms. Aguilera.
  68. BeefJerky
    Oct 19, 2006
    i like how people think "she found herself" when she doesn't make her own music or her own image. Get a clue people. This is bad music for people with no taste. They found a pretty girl with a pretty face and told her to sing this song and wear these clothes. American Idol without the voting and just as phony.
  69. NatCo
    Oct 21, 2006
    Christina should have improved on the amazing stripped album and moved onto something different and up to date. The album appears to be based too much on the image and not the music itself.
  70. LianeG
    Oct 21, 2006
    There's no doubt that Ms. Aguilera is one of the most talented vocalists of her generation. Ultimately, that talent shines through, regardless of what you might think of the songs. That said, most of the songs on Back To Basics are great. However, the production of the album as a whole lacks the greatness of Stripped. However, it is still a fantastic album. "Hurt" is my favorite track.
  71. BarbL
    Oct 3, 2006
    She sounds excellant and her vocal is so great! An absolutely great singer!
  72. Kristina
    Aug 10, 2006
    This album is absolutely amazing. A critic has to be deaf, dumb & blind to write a negative review. Not only is this album a courageous piece of work for such a mainstream artist, but the second disc is all live instruments which is never found in the mainstream today. Christina has set the bar with this album so all the other chart-toppers had better get their game on.
  73. SpencerU
    Aug 14, 2006
    The album is amazing. It's one of those albums everyone has to buy... only comes along a few times (if that) in a decade. GET YOURSELF A COPY.
  74. AdamS
    Aug 15, 2006
    One of the greatest albums I have heard in quite some time.
  75. RhondaR
    Aug 15, 2006
    Fantastic... and this album gets better every time you listen to it. Christina's vocals are amazing.
  76. EvanK
    Aug 15, 2006
    Fantastic! Christina has never sounded better vocally. This is her best record to date and the first to truly show that she is an "artist."
  77. lionelb
    Aug 16, 2006
    Fantastic......the nest pop album this year
  78. SeanD
    Aug 16, 2006
    Creativity and individuality alone garner this CD a 10. Simply put, there is no other pop artist out there willing to take the kinds of chances that Christina takes on this record. As Beyonce sings of Deja Vu, we are all left with that feeling, since all of her work is starting to sound the same, and nearly indistinguishable from her work with Desinty's Child. Christina could have Creativity and individuality alone garner this CD a 10. Simply put, there is no other pop artist out there willing to take the kinds of chances that Christina takes on this record. As Beyonce sings of Deja Vu, we are all left with that feeling, since all of her work is starting to sound the same, and nearly indistinguishable from her work with Desinty's Child. Christina could have simplly made a continuation of her Stripped CD, and many would have been happy, but she continues to push her art forward, and THIS is the mark of a true artist. And even though I understand where the comments about "oversinging" come from, Xtina is a "belter". It is a style, and one consistant with some of the soul legends. She's got the pipes, and she knows how to use them. Her quieter moments are indeed affecting, but when she lets loose she is simply awe inspiring. I appreciate and love mellow artists like Sade, but I also love to hear someone who can truely belt out a song, and give me gooseflesh in the process. I wish people would stop criticiizing her and appreciate her artistic contributions. Expand
  79. JudithL
    Aug 18, 2006
    Most beautiful album ever!Just have to listen to it and you will love it
  80. TomG
    Aug 18, 2006
    A remarkable album from a young singer who used to sing Teen Pop. Now Christina has moved onto a mature sound which not only allows her to show off her amazing voice, but it also has allowed her to create some of the best work of her career. Simply stunning. Download: Save Me From Myself, Slow Down Baby, Makes Me Wanna Pray and Candyman.
  81. MO'Kane
    Excellent
  82. JeffB
    Aug 18, 2006
    what a different and great album! definetly a classic! wow amazing job christina!
  83. TJValerio
    Aug 18, 2006
    Back To Basics is a wild ride. The disc I enjoyed more is disc 2. Back To Basics displays Christina's creativity and passion for her art. This no doubt is her best effort yet.
  84. TerraC
    Aug 18, 2006
    Glad she's back. Loves it!
  85. GreaD
    Aug 18, 2006
    THIS ALBUM KICKS ASS. Everyone go buy it!! It's her best album yet!
  86. LucyH
    Aug 18, 2006
    LOVE IT!!!!! best Christina Aguilera album!
  87. ceryset
    Aug 18, 2006
    This is a masterpiece. most of the people that gave it bad reviews due to the production forgot to research her own concept of the record. she didn't say PURE JAZZ, she said ELEMENTS OF JAZZ WITH A MODERN DAY TWIST meaning, old time instruments but put together in a modern style which is exactly what she did. and when it comes to her vocals, she toned down when she needed to. to evry This is a masterpiece. most of the people that gave it bad reviews due to the production forgot to research her own concept of the record. she didn't say PURE JAZZ, she said ELEMENTS OF JAZZ WITH A MODERN DAY TWIST meaning, old time instruments but put together in a modern style which is exactly what she did. and when it comes to her vocals, she toned down when she needed to. to evry song, thers a concept of those decades. every song is a masterpiece in its own way. i love it. Expand
  88. CharlesW
    Aug 19, 2006
    Awesome album. One woman One voice 22 songs and 2 discs BEST ALBUM OF 2006
  91. JonG
    Aug 21, 2006
    I absolutely love this album, just like I've loved everything Christina has ever done. I am in love with her even more after hearing this album, and her inspiration. No one else, I thionk, of her generation would have the balls, the chops, or the songwriting skill, or the emotion to pull something like this off, but she did, and it's amazing
  92. DarkoS
    ....christina is THE best... :D
  93. AlexR
    Aug 23, 2006
    This album is disappointing. Yes, the voice is amazing, as one would expect from Christina, but she oversings everything, which means that listening quickly becomes a wearying experience. She needs to develop more varied ways of interpreting songs, rather than just belting them out, as Mariah Carey has learned to do over the years. Also, there are a lot of songs here that just don't This album is disappointing. Yes, the voice is amazing, as one would expect from Christina, but she oversings everything, which means that listening quickly becomes a wearying experience. She needs to develop more varied ways of interpreting songs, rather than just belting them out, as Mariah Carey has learned to do over the years. Also, there are a lot of songs here that just don't make the grade; they are unmemorable, feature boring, uninspiring lyrics, or are just tired pastiches. The 1930s and 40s style songs on Madonna's I'm Breathless album, for example, are much more fun and spontaneous. There are, however, some highlights, particularly on the first disc, such as Makes Me Wanna Pray, a gospel-tinged track that brings out the best in Christina. With some judicious editing, a strong one-disc record could have been made here, one that feels a little less like a cynical vanity project. Christina, we know you can sing; now, take a leaf out of Mariah's book, and on the next album, please don't forget to bring along the great songs. Expand
  94. Ness
    Aug 25, 2006
    Awesome! I can't stop listening to this cd. I loved stripped and I love B2B!!!
  95. mattD
    Aug 29, 2006
    Honestly, buy something else. It's the same thing you hear off every other album that's involved in Pop music today. Just buy something else like reaplugs. It will help you get through this clutter of cat fighting and whiny vocals of another self obsessed girl who can't get guys out of her head. She should just make a passionate album, like the song "Beatiful". Her time is Honestly, buy something else. It's the same thing you hear off every other album that's involved in Pop music today. Just buy something else like reaplugs. It will help you get through this clutter of cat fighting and whiny vocals of another self obsessed girl who can't get guys out of her head. She should just make a passionate album, like the song "Beatiful". Her time is wasting away. In a few years, she'll be makin stupid moves to garner attention. Expand
  96. JT
    Aug 30, 2006
    Love love love her new CD. Wonderful music, wonderful instruments and beats. Lyrics are great. Her voice is amazing as usual. Keep doing your thing girl.
  97. JD
    Aug 3, 2006
    I have an advanced copy and the CD is amazing.
  98. MichaelD
    Aug 6, 2006
    I smell Grammy all over this album.
  99. JessicaH
    Awesome CD!!

1. Beyond the retro instrumentation, however, it's unclear what Aguilera has really learned from her idols.
  2. Aguilera doesn't have the gravitas of her heroes, and her forays into bluesy torch singing and '40s-style swing are stiff and mannered. But she needn't genuflect before the past -- she can make her own glorious kind of 21st-century noise.
  3. This rather bloated record should be regarded as a disappointment - an interesting one, but a disappointment none the less.