Back To Basics

• Release Date: Aug 15, 2006
8.9

Review this album

1. Nov 21, 2011
    I Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this album
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Whoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40sWhoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40s songs to mainstream pop music. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman,Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman, Save Me From Myself and Mercy On Me. Expand
  4. Aug 9, 2012
    Christina Aguilera's best album so far. One of the best album of 2006. Ain't No Other Man, Hurt, Candyman, Welcome and Mercy on Me are just amazing !!!
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    Christina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of themChristina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of them sampling one of Xtina's favouite songs. Second disc partially foreshadows what will happen in 2010 on "Burlesque" soundtrack. Even if "Enter The Circus" is a mess the rest of the CD is flawless. It conatins both sexy songs like "Candyman", "Nasty Naughty Boy" and "I Got Trouble" vulnerable, beauiful ballads like "Welcome", "Save Me From Myself", "The Right Man" and finally Christina's best song ever done "Hurt.

6. Oct 4, 2013
    Now, that's is what they call music. It's an amazing pop album flavored with 40's, 50's, 60's Jazz and Blues materials. The lyrics are amazing same th the beats and the vocal performance. A true masterpiece.
  7. Dec 4, 2013
    This is the album that Beyoncé always wanted to do, sophisticated, well crafted and extremely tasteful, Back to Basics itself as a masterpiece of Christina Aguilera.
  8. Aug 4, 2014
    It's so good because of three main things:
    Christina's immaculate voice and how she screams powerfully even in mellow parts of songs.
    The production, of course.
    The homages, and the skit-like World War II lyrics and intros. It's a comedic work of art.
    It's a bummer because:
    It's divided to two discs when one could had made do.
  9. ntukziem
    Aug 21, 2006
    xtina bridges the gap with her best work yet... awesome album!!!
  10. JamesT
    Aug 23, 2006
    Phenomenal.... one word says it all... excellent work girl!
  11. R.M.Bronson
    Aug 6, 2006
    Stellar. Excellent. A must buy. Definitely a frontrunner for Album of the Year.
  12. dgfgdgffdg
    Aug 6, 2006
    sexy
  13. FrankN
    Aug 7, 2006
    The best female voice out there!
  14. MohammedS
    Aug 7, 2006
    Brilliant, brilliant album. She has more authentic hiphop beats than the NY rappers. She put them all to shame, and I can't believe I just said that.
  15. KennyH
    Sep 18, 2006
    It's an AMAZING album!.. it's very different, compared to stripped. but I think this cd is more 'happy':).. it's superb! Personally I like the second cd little bit more:)
  16. StephenN
    Sep 2, 2006
    I think this is Christina's Best Album So Far.I particularly like Disc 2 Better than Disc 1.and her vocal talent comes out strong on this Album so close to what she really loves.
  17. MarkW
    Sep 3, 2006
    It shows through the music that she really put time into making this album. This album isn't for everybody, but for those people out there that are looking for QUALITY pop music, this is the CD for you.
  18. Tiar
    Sep 6, 2006
    Aguilera shows her vocal prowess once again in an original, funky mix of heart wrenching ballads, sassy 40's bar room swingers, and soulful tributes to the legends of the first half of the twentieth century. The chameleon-like Aguilera has shed her skin from a bubblegum teen pop princess to a dirrty chaps wearing rebel to a subtely sensual traditional soul/pop/r'n'b queen. Aguilera shows her vocal prowess once again in an original, funky mix of heart wrenching ballads, sassy 40's bar room swingers, and soulful tributes to the legends of the first half of the twentieth century. The chameleon-like Aguilera has shed her skin from a bubblegum teen pop princess to a dirrty chaps wearing rebel to a subtely sensual traditional soul/pop/r'n'b queen. And for that, I applaud her. Expand
  19. aczxc
    Feb 22, 2007
    tdy
  20. katiec
    Mar 3, 2007
    don't understand the bad reviews, the album is brilliant! i love candyman and hurt they are the best songs.
  21. BálintK
    May 8, 2007
    This album is very good
  22. FredricE.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Best release of 2006.. Christina has grown so much into a more mature artist. shes just perfect.
  23. DevonS
    Feb 3, 2010
    Excellent album. She sounds like a woman in control of her career and you can't get any better than "Mercy on Me," "Hurt," "On Our Way," and "Ain't No Other Man." She is amazing and has the best voice of this generation.
  24. AnaB.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Christina Aguilera is by far one of if not the greatest singer of our generation. I love the new sound she provided on Back to Basics. Sometimes a couple of songs sounded too similar to others, but overall I loved it.
  25. ChrisM
    Oct 12, 2006
    I'm agree that without a few songs this would be a master piece... Disc 2 is outrageous... Some of the Disc 1 is not working for me, but comparing this album with the emo trash or the stupid pop out there, she demands a lot of respect hands down... And I can smell the grammys here too...
  26. pattys
    Nov 20, 2006
    love it!!
  27. miyoj
    Dec 7, 2006
    albun of the year!!!!!
  28. manuelm
    Aug 12, 2006
    A well produced album. It doesn't even seem like a double album. DJ Premier and Linda Perry did a good job.
  29. AH
    Aug 17, 2006
    An instant classic from an artist that continues to improve with age, this girl adds an 'x factor' to every track that lifts them to another level. Christina is the greatest talent of her generation, and though others such as Kelly Clarkson are worthy successors, she remains THE best pop vocalist of our time.
  30. TunM
    Aug 17, 2006
    She is the best female singer in the world right now & this album is such a classic...simply amazing...Still dirrty,Hurt,The Right Man,Mercy on Me,Save me from myself,Here to stay,Without you"& so..so many great songs in 2 cds...she'll win Album of the year with this "back to Basics" in Grammy time ....

1. Beyond the retro instrumentation, however, it's unclear what Aguilera has really learned from her idols.
  2. Aguilera doesn't have the gravitas of her heroes, and her forays into bluesy torch singing and '40s-style swing are stiff and mannered. But she needn't genuflect before the past -- she can make her own glorious kind of 21st-century noise.
  3. This rather bloated record should be regarded as a disappointment - an interesting one, but a disappointment none the less.