• Record Label: RCA
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2006
8.9

Review this album

1. Sep 26, 2014
    "Back to Basics" is the best album that Christina Aguilera did, that's all!

I would like to say how this one is amazing, but I cannot explain how I felt when I bought it. All the songs sound biggest and powerful with her beautiful voice. And the lyrics are so awesome! Lots of love for it!!! ♥
  2. Apr 7, 2018
    Una obra maestra por parte de la cantante Aguilera, ademas de que porfin se hizo justicia al tener un promedio de criticas en verde
  3. Feb 13, 2017
    Um dos melhores albuns de todos os tempos, biblia, Mercy On me, Hurt, Candyman, Slow Down Baby Ain No Other Man, sao uma das minhas faixas preferidas, melhor album da Xtina, ele é 1000x melhor que o lixo do bionic
  4. Aug 4, 2014
    It's so good because of three main things:
    Christina's immaculate voice and how she screams powerfully even in mellow parts of songs.
    The production, of course.
    The homages, and the skit-like World War II lyrics and intros. It's a comedic work of art.
    It's a bummer because:
    It's divided to two discs when one could had made do.
  5. Aug 26, 2016
    This is one of the best pop albums I've ever heard from such a young vocalist. She's really a great songwriter and DJ Premier has brought out the best in her. 15 years from now we will have yet another legend among us. Collapse
  6. Jul 12, 2012
    In this album she captures the essence of the 'soul' and is the definitive proof that she is the heir of the old divas of soul music. Highlights for 'Ain't No Other Man', 'Without You' and 'Slow Down Baby' the first album and 'Welcome', 'Candyman' and 'Hurt' on the second cd.
  7. Dec 4, 2013
    This is the album that Beyoncé always wanted to do, sophisticated, well crafted and extremely tasteful, Back to Basics itself as a masterpiece of Christina Aguilera.
  8. Dec 1, 2016
  9. Dec 17, 2014
    This is the only coherent and solid album that Christina Aguilera had released yet. The musical and visual influences used in this album are spot on. Xtina's voice and this jazzy/soul pop are match made in heaven.
  10. May 4, 2018
    It's strange that it took 7 years to Christina Aguilera find herself on music. "Stripped" and "Christina Aguilera" are both good and classic albums, but "Back To Basics" shows that she is mature enough to be herself without being that sweet girl or even that sexy woman. When you start listening to this LP, you can presume how this album will be with this incredible and iconic introduction.
  11. Jun 13, 2011
    Whoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40sWhoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40s songs to mainstream pop music. Expand
  12. Oct 4, 2013
    Now, that's is what they call music. It's an amazing pop album flavored with 40's, 50's, 60's Jazz and Blues materials. The lyrics are amazing same th the beats and the vocal performance. A true masterpiece.
  13. Jul 17, 2013
    Christina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of themChristina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of them sampling one of Xtina's favouite songs. Second disc partially foreshadows what will happen in 2010 on "Burlesque" soundtrack. Even if "Enter The Circus" is a mess the rest of the CD is flawless. It conatins both sexy songs like "Candyman", "Nasty Naughty Boy" and "I Got Trouble" vulnerable, beauiful ballads like "Welcome", "Save Me From Myself", "The Right Man" and finally Christina's best song ever done "Hurt.

14. Dec 29, 2014
    A unique take on the sounds of yester-year, Christina Aguilera proves her versatility in any genre and sound. She's much more than a pop singer - rather more of a sensation. Don't miss the joys of 'Ain't No Other Man.'
  15. Mar 22, 2012
    Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman,Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman, Save Me From Myself and Mercy On Me. Expand
  16. Dec 10, 2013
    great album, incredible voice and amazing ballads. xtina knows how to make a really good music, she can be everything: pop singer, hip hop singer, jazz singer, soul singer...... this album can show us that she doesn't care about what's playing on the radio
  17. Oct 17, 2015
    Este álbum es fantástico, ella siempre se innova y amo eso, es una gran artista, y este es un gran álbum, es GENIAL! Lo amo, es de mis favoritos, su voz es la mejor que hay, CHRISTINA QUEEN ♥
  18. Nov 10, 2017
    She knows how to make real music, and shows that she has talent for all music styles, queen of She knows how to make real music, and shows that she has talent for all music styles, queen of reinvention. No doubt she was born to soul music, jazz and blues. Xoxo
  19. May 8, 2011
    Her best album yet, Back to Bascis souds pretty good, ver voice is amazing, she is an excelent performer, give us another album with the same or better quality that Back to Basics Xtina. :D
  20. Jun 23, 2017
    It's incredible how Christina can switch styles and still bring something relevant and unique and this album was so suitable for her voice and media person.
  21. Aug 31, 2017
    Her best album to date and my favorite album ever. It's just a masterpiece. It totally deserved its Grammy nomination (it should've won tough). "Back In The Day" is one of my favorite songs on the album.
  22. Aug 9, 2012
    Christina Aguilera's best album so far. One of the best album of 2006. Ain't No Other Man, Hurt, Candyman, Welcome and Mercy on Me are just amazing !!!
  23. Nov 10, 2017
    This is her best album ever ever ever, vintage taste, vintage style, vintage mood.
    .......................................................................
  24. ntukziem
    Aug 21, 2006
    xtina bridges the gap with her best work yet... awesome album!!!
  25. JamesT
    Aug 23, 2006
    Phenomenal.... one word says it all... excellent work girl!
  26. R.M.Bronson
    Aug 6, 2006
    Stellar. Excellent. A must buy. Definitely a frontrunner for Album of the Year.
  27. dgfgdgffdg
    sexy
  28. FrankN
    Aug 7, 2006
    The best female voice out there!
  29. MohammedS
    Aug 7, 2006
    Brilliant, brilliant album. She has more authentic hiphop beats than the NY rappers. She put them all to shame, and I can't believe I just said that.
  30. manuelm
    Aug 12, 2006
    A well produced album. It doesn't even seem like a double album. DJ Premier and Linda Perry did a good job.
  31. AH
    Aug 17, 2006
    An instant classic from an artist that continues to improve with age, this girl adds an 'x factor' to every track that lifts them to another level. Christina is the greatest talent of her generation, and though others such as Kelly Clarkson are worthy successors, she remains THE best pop vocalist of our time.
  32. TunM
    Aug 17, 2006
    She is the best female singer in the world right now & this album is such a classic...simply amazing...Still dirrty,Hurt,The Right Man,Mercy on Me,Save me from myself,Here to stay,Without you"& so..so many great songs in 2 cds...she'll win Album of the year with this "back to Basics" in Grammy time ....
  33. JoeC
    Aug 18, 2006
    Great album Every song is wonderfull!!
  34. richardj
    Aug 18, 2006
    This album is a mixed bag, it's not bad, but not great, at first listesn i was going to take the CD back to the shop but I prefer the second disc as it' has more solid songs! But three of my criticisms of this album, which take the pints of 10 is: Christina needs to learn to control her wonderful voice, probably one of the best and unique in pop music, why? she could have used This album is a mixed bag, it's not bad, but not great, at first listesn i was going to take the CD back to the shop but I prefer the second disc as it' has more solid songs! But three of my criticisms of this album, which take the pints of 10 is: Christina needs to learn to control her wonderful voice, probably one of the best and unique in pop music, why? she could have used her range but not the belting out voice(too musical/showy sounding) all the time, if you sing jazz it's phrasing, emotion and control but also subtlies, like the greats use ella, sarah vaughn, billie holiday! Two their is a lot of crappy tracks (thank you is sickly! to name one!) which if edited the album properly could have been cut to a 15 track album disc! The third is the artist Lina does this music mixing jazz/r & b and I think christina maybe needed to hear her album to make hers solid, maybe even ue travis house as porducer! Expand
  35. ChristinaN
    Aug 18, 2006
    In my opinion, Christina has made a master piece. Of 22 songs (including interludes) I only find myself skipping 3. One of them being an interlude. This means 19 great songs.
  36. IanS
    Aug 20, 2006
    No current pop artist can touch Christina, vocally. She proves that this record. No current pop artist can reach Christina, artistically. She proves that this record. No current pop artist makes pop records of this calibur. Christina has.
  37. GillesB
    Aug 22, 2006
    I'm not really a fan of christina, but this record is pure bliss... loads of catchy tunes, rather original compared to what she's done before... i'm buying!
  38. JeffreyQ
    Aug 20, 2006
    definitely a great comeback album, back to basics is packed with cool dance music (ain't no other man, slow down baby and candyman), soft ballads (without you and save me from myself), and powerful vocal acrobatics (understand, mercy on me, and makes me wanna pray). it is an eclectic mix of everything that can be classified pop and it contains the best interlude ever: enter the definitely a great comeback album, back to basics is packed with cool dance music (ain't no other man, slow down baby and candyman), soft ballads (without you and save me from myself), and powerful vocal acrobatics (understand, mercy on me, and makes me wanna pray). it is an eclectic mix of everything that can be classified pop and it contains the best interlude ever: enter the circus + welcome. Expand
  39. ElizabethR
    I love Back to basics.
  40. Jed
    Aug 26, 2006
    This is by far the best album I've heard this year. Christina has really grown as an artist. I can't stop listening to the songs. Keep up the good work girl!!!
  41. OdaiA
    Aug 6, 2006
    Album of the year, hands down.
  42. Rob
    Aug 6, 2006
    What a major step forward from Stripped..though this is classified as Pop, the album really spans all genres WITH a purpose. Christina is really pushing herself and its great to see...nice album.
  43. christinar
    Aug 6, 2006
    pure perfection. its a grammy contender. best album of the year so far and aguilera's best effort.
  44. tenzingd
    Aug 9, 2006
    christina´s versatile voice is a strength she uses to idolise the great singers of blues and jazz of the past. I have already listened the album, back to basic. She is getter better and better. she blows you out.
  45. Kristina
    Aug 10, 2006
    This album is absolutely amazing. A critic has to be deaf, dumb & blind to write a negative review. Not only is this album a courageous piece of work for such a mainstream artist, but the second disc is all live instruments which is never found in the mainstream today. Christina has set the bar with this album so all the other chart-toppers had better get their game on.
  46. SpencerU
    Aug 14, 2006
    The album is amazing. It's one of those albums everyone has to buy... only comes along a few times (if that) in a decade. GET YOURSELF A COPY.
  47. AdamS
    Aug 15, 2006
    One of the greatest albums I have heard in quite some time.
  48. RhondaR
    Aug 15, 2006
    Fantastic... and this album gets better every time you listen to it. Christina's vocals are amazing.
  49. EvanK
    Aug 15, 2006
    Fantastic! Christina has never sounded better vocally. This is her best record to date and the first to truly show that she is an "artist."
  50. lionelb
    Aug 16, 2006
    Fantastic......the nest pop album this year
  51. SeanD
    Aug 16, 2006
    Creativity and individuality alone garner this CD a 10. Simply put, there is no other pop artist out there willing to take the kinds of chances that Christina takes on this record. As Beyonce sings of Deja Vu, we are all left with that feeling, since all of her work is starting to sound the same, and nearly indistinguishable from her work with Desinty's Child. Christina could have Creativity and individuality alone garner this CD a 10. Simply put, there is no other pop artist out there willing to take the kinds of chances that Christina takes on this record. As Beyonce sings of Deja Vu, we are all left with that feeling, since all of her work is starting to sound the same, and nearly indistinguishable from her work with Desinty's Child. Christina could have simplly made a continuation of her Stripped CD, and many would have been happy, but she continues to push her art forward, and THIS is the mark of a true artist. And even though I understand where the comments about "oversinging" come from, Xtina is a "belter". It is a style, and one consistant with some of the soul legends. She's got the pipes, and she knows how to use them. Her quieter moments are indeed affecting, but when she lets loose she is simply awe inspiring. I appreciate and love mellow artists like Sade, but I also love to hear someone who can truely belt out a song, and give me gooseflesh in the process. I wish people would stop criticiizing her and appreciate her artistic contributions. Expand
  52. JudithL
    Aug 18, 2006
    Most beautiful album ever!Just have to listen to it and you will love it
  53. TomG
    Aug 18, 2006
    A remarkable album from a young singer who used to sing Teen Pop. Now Christina has moved onto a mature sound which not only allows her to show off her amazing voice, but it also has allowed her to create some of the best work of her career. Simply stunning. Download: Save Me From Myself, Slow Down Baby, Makes Me Wanna Pray and Candyman.
  54. MO'Kane
    Excellent
  55. JeffB
    Aug 18, 2006
    what a different and great album! definetly a classic! wow amazing job christina!
  56. TJValerio
    Aug 18, 2006
    Back To Basics is a wild ride. The disc I enjoyed more is disc 2. Back To Basics displays Christina's creativity and passion for her art. This no doubt is her best effort yet.
  57. TerraC
    Aug 18, 2006
    Glad she's back. Loves it!
  58. GreaD
    Aug 18, 2006
    THIS ALBUM KICKS ASS. Everyone go buy it!! It's her best album yet!
  59. LucyH
    Aug 18, 2006
    LOVE IT!!!!! best Christina Aguilera album!
  60. ceryset
    Aug 18, 2006
    This is a masterpiece. most of the people that gave it bad reviews due to the production forgot to research her own concept of the record. she didn't say PURE JAZZ, she said ELEMENTS OF JAZZ WITH A MODERN DAY TWIST meaning, old time instruments but put together in a modern style which is exactly what she did. and when it comes to her vocals, she toned down when she needed to. to evry This is a masterpiece. most of the people that gave it bad reviews due to the production forgot to research her own concept of the record. she didn't say PURE JAZZ, she said ELEMENTS OF JAZZ WITH A MODERN DAY TWIST meaning, old time instruments but put together in a modern style which is exactly what she did. and when it comes to her vocals, she toned down when she needed to. to evry song, thers a concept of those decades. every song is a masterpiece in its own way. i love it. Expand
  61. CharlesW
    The best album EVER!
    Amazing album
  63. BalazsB
    Awesome album. One woman One voice 22 songs and 2 discs BEST ALBUM OF 2006
  64. JonG
    Aug 21, 2006
    I absolutely love this album, just like I've loved everything Christina has ever done. I am in love with her even more after hearing this album, and her inspiration. No one else, I thionk, of her generation would have the balls, the chops, or the songwriting skill, or the emotion to pull something like this off, but she did, and it's amazing
  65. DarkoS
    Aug 23, 2006
    ....christina is THE best... :D
  66. Ness
    Aug 25, 2006
    Awesome! I can't stop listening to this cd. I loved stripped and I love B2B!!!
  67. JT
    Aug 30, 2006
    Love love love her new CD. Wonderful music, wonderful instruments and beats. Lyrics are great. Her voice is amazing as usual. Keep doing your thing girl.
  68. JD
    Aug 3, 2006
    I have an advanced copy and the CD is amazing.
  69. MichaelD
    Aug 6, 2006
    I smell Grammy all over this album.
  70. JessicaH
    Awesome CD!!
  71. AdrienD
    Amazing
  72. JohnnyA
    Aug 11, 2006
  73. Patrick
    Aug 12, 2006
    I've never been a big fan of Aguilera's work, but it is impossible to deny that she is one of the best (if not the best) vocalists in the current music scene. Her latest two-disc set is nothing short of epic. One can only imagine how much time and effort was put into the conception of Back to Basics. Essentially what we see here is the maturation of a singer, and, quite frankly, I've never been a big fan of Aguilera's work, but it is impossible to deny that she is one of the best (if not the best) vocalists in the current music scene. Her latest two-disc set is nothing short of epic. One can only imagine how much time and effort was put into the conception of Back to Basics. Essentially what we see here is the maturation of a singer, and, quite frankly, it is something that is not often seen in this day and age of, for lack of a better word, crappy music. Too often do artists focus themselves on single themes and fail to broaden their horizons. Fortunately, Mrs. Aguilera is not one of those artists. The two-disc set consists of separately produced entities- the first produced by DJ Premier, the second by Linda Perry. We receive an introduction to the theme that is, well, not in any way subtle. Right at the start there is a proclamation of going "back to the basics." And from this point forward, the listener demands tangible evidence to support this assertion. Thankfully, Aguilera does so adeptly, though she covers a broader range of eras than she has reported in interviews. This is, however, a highly insignificant flaw. The main complaints that critics have voiced concerning this latest work are its apparent self-indulgence and failure to completely grasp the mood of the periods presented. In all honesty, I am shocked that Aguilera is not more self-indulgent in Back to Basics. I think anyone with a voice like hers would be very willing to brag incessantly. I do believe she is actually being modest in this work. As for the second complaint, I doubt it would exist if the critics knew nothing of Aguilera and her image before this album was released. Compare some of her songs on this new cd to some of the greats of the past. There really is not much of a difference (save some of the modern editing). Overall, I feel that this will redeem Aguilera as a vocalist rather than just a "performer." Indeed, I pity those who will go up against her come Grammy time. She is the sure front runner of the year. Expand
  74. PeterH
    Aug 14, 2006
    One of the best album I've ever heard! I wasn't Christina's huge fan during the release of her previous album 'Stripped', but after listening to this I can't say anything but 'WOW!!!!!!' Back to Basics is absolutley brilliant!
  75. AdrienD
    Amazing
  76. AnthonyM
    Aug 14, 2006
    Amazing CD! Seriously, this girl never disappoints!
  77. VInceN
    Aug 14, 2006
    Awesome album, no other in pop could have the talents and the balls to do this
  78. JeffJ
    Aug 15, 2006
    This album is amazing. Christina has really shined on this diverse and fresh new music. I love the old time jazz influences integrated with modern pop music.
  79. DiegoM
    Aug 15, 2006
    this is just an amazing album, album of the year!
  80. DavidH
    Aug 15, 2006
    This is a stunning, creative, and fresh album, from the packaging to the last track on disc 2. Christina really has set the bar with this one. What are with these critics with the low scores? I gave them a '1'.
  81. gracer
    Aug 15, 2006
    AMAZING album. I can't stop listening to it. Props to Christina for recording such a masterpiece. This must be recognized at the Grammies! I reccommend it.
  82. kellys
    Aug 16, 2006
    Her voice alone rates this album a 10. One of the most inventive and original sounds to come out in a long long while. Great Job Christina.
  83. ChristianA
    Aug 16, 2006
    first listen, immediately fell for some songs and felt like i wanted more from others. second listen, i loved most songs and understood the rest. now, i can't stop listening to the album. critics will be critics, and in the end it's all politics. i admire her risk-taking and in the end, like other risk-takers, it will pay off. christina is an artist, undeniably, and an inspiration.
  84. BrianB
    Aug 17, 2006
    This album is nothing short of amazing! Christina has really hit an atristic peak as a vocalist and songwriter.
  85. HarleyW
    Aug 18, 2006
    Amazing amazing amazing!!! Mercy on Me is my favorite by far as well as Candyman.
  86. AndrewG
    Aug 18, 2006
    This is definitely album of the year! You will not find anything better combined onto two discs over twenty-two songs. This really makes her different from her rivals as vocally and creatively she has gone somewhere different. Before you judge and believe these foolish reviews, check the album out yourself, I promise you you will not be disappointed! Its 1 hour and 20 minutes of music you This is definitely album of the year! You will not find anything better combined onto two discs over twenty-two songs. This really makes her different from her rivals as vocally and creatively she has gone somewhere different. Before you judge and believe these foolish reviews, check the album out yourself, I promise you you will not be disappointed! Its 1 hour and 20 minutes of music you won't regret hearing! ;) Expand
  87. BryanC
    Aug 19, 2006
    Christina's Back to Basics album is a cut above the rest. She's a real artist who is not afraid of being creative and expresses herself in her music.
  88. LitaT
    Aug 22, 2006
    this album is gonna have a big time at the grammys 2006 :)
  89. JamesG
    Aug 24, 2006
    This album is amazing! Aguilera's voice is perfect, and all the songs have great beats. Honestly, I cannot choose one CD over the other! This is a must have for Christina fans, as well as fans of R&B/soul/pop!
  90. JamesB
    Aug 24, 2006
    one of the most original albums of the year...well done Aguilera!
  91. Samantha
    Aug 25, 2006
    Christina has made another masterpiece. The first album I've ever owned where I adore every song. Everything thing about it is unique, inventive, and one of a kind. I love everything about this album and Christina. Props to her for doing something different!
  92. deeh
    Aug 28, 2006
    best album of the year
  93. AceM
    Aug 29, 2006
    Hands down the BEST pop album of the year! Very enjoyable! Terrific!
  94. Mary
    Aug 29, 2006
    Wow, what a UNIQUE and OUTSTANDING album! Christina really gave us a breath of fresh air. This album is full of emotion and breaktaking vocals. It has a few dance tracks, lots of chilled out R&B mid-tempos, one power ballad and one acoustic guitar simple singing melody. It's just BRILLIANT. I definitely recommened this album, you will not regret it!
  95. Nov 21, 2011
    I Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this album
  96. Aug 24, 2013
    This remains to be one of the best pop albums of the 2000's, she just gives her soul and powerful voice to this journey from the music of the 20's and 30's with a modern touch. While the first CD has a set of club songs the second one has the collaboration of Linda Perry and one of the most powerful and rawest songs ever "Hurt", I highly recommend you to buy this CD, for the fans she won'tThis remains to be one of the best pop albums of the 2000's, she just gives her soul and powerful voice to this journey from the music of the 20's and 30's with a modern touch. While the first CD has a set of club songs the second one has the collaboration of Linda Perry and one of the most powerful and rawest songs ever "Hurt", I highly recommend you to buy this CD, for the fans she won't disappoint you, there's a song written for you called Thank you, the artwork is pretty nice. I wish I had this album on vinyl, Expand
  97. Jan 6, 2015
    deusaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  98. Oct 12, 2016
    Es Un Admirable disco, Una declaración artística, Con Gran poder y destreza vocal de La cantante, su canción más memorable es Candyman pues es diferente a lo lanzado por otros artistas pop de su época, Este disco es realmente bueno
  99. May 12, 2017
    Amo este álbum, este es el verdadero sonido y estilo de Christina Aguilera. Se luce su voz me encanta la tematica de los años 30s, 40s y 50s ¡Una leyenda!
  100. KennyH
    Sep 18, 2006
    It's an AMAZING album!.. it's very different, compared to stripped. but I think this cd is more 'happy':).. it's superb! Personally I like the second cd little bit more:)

1. Beyond the retro instrumentation, however, it's unclear what Aguilera has really learned from her idols.
  2. Aguilera doesn't have the gravitas of her heroes, and her forays into bluesy torch singing and '40s-style swing are stiff and mannered. But she needn't genuflect before the past -- she can make her own glorious kind of 21st-century noise.
  3. This rather bloated record should be regarded as a disappointment - an interesting one, but a disappointment none the less.