Bad Blood - Bastille
7.2

Review this album

1. Mar 28, 2013
    Bad Blood by the British quartet, Bastille, is a brilliant album with all songs being quite great, though some are better than others and some of the lyrics sound a little silly at times. But overall, Bad Blood is a fantastic debut from Bastille and I am definitely looking forward to their newer music in the future.
  2. Apr 13, 2013
    Mediocre indie synthpop. For the most part, it all seems rather bland with lyrics whose significance I can't seem to get my head around. Apart from the really pretty, ethereal ballad, Overjoyed and tear-jerking love song, Oblivion, almost all the songs merge into one big, mediocre lump that's very unmemorable.
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    A fine debut.

This album is all in all pretty good. From emotional soaring melodies such as 'Overjoyed' to quirky ballads such as 'Flaws' it brings an interesting sound to the table.

I can't help but Bastille rather overplayed their hand in the lead-up to this album, on first listen I had already heard 6 of the 13 songs. It left it feeling more like a collection of singles than a
    complete album. Perhaps some tracks should have been left as singles too as it feels like the album has tried to get to many different sounds into one space.

There are, however some excellent moments. 'Weight of living, Pt I' and 'These Streets' harp back to the original quirkiness and excellent melodies that first caught audience's attention in 'Flaws'. Some of the lyrics are a little bit bland or un-inventive which brings me to my final summary.

All in all this a a good, solid debut with soaring melodies and well crafted music to back it up. It is slightly let down by the fact it seems some-what unrefined for an album that was a fair while in the making. Very enjoyable.
  4. Nov 8, 2013
    Why do people hate this album!? I love it. I especially love "Pompeii". I can't stop listening to that song. There must be something wrong with you people! You are all stupid!
  5. Feb 8, 2014
    This album is the best album that I listened in all my f---ing life. The music genres are very well used throughout the album. I do not know why the people hate this masterpiece.
  6. Apr 19, 2014
    Here's another album my sister got that I actually started to enjoy. I think this band has a great sense of style and emotion in their music and some of the songs have some pretty good lyrics, some forgettable, but good. Overall the music in this CD was overall great, in fact I really don't think there was a single song on this album that I would call bad or probably even mediocre. I like that their music mostly sounds like real instruments and doesn't abuse electronic sounds unlike many other bands out there. Overall, Bastille's first album was enjoyable and I look forward to see what they have in store for the future. My favorite tracks were "Pompeii", "Things We Lost in the Fire" and "Icarus" but most tracks are excellent. Expand
  7. Apr 7, 2014
    While the second half of the album felt boring and it has no theme to the entire album, Bad Blood is a fine, must-listen debut album of the promising indie British band, Bastille.
  8. Aug 8, 2013
    It's not exactly groundbreaking is it. Most of the songs start with a promising introduction but, very quickly become your standard 'indie' tracks. It's not rock. it's not pop, it's not elecronica, it's not really anything at all. Nothing really grabs you, his voice is one toned and highly strained and as a whole the album has no surprises and brings nothing new to the table. The generic 'oh oh oh's' (noises made by most bands who struggle with actual lyrics) really seal it's fate. All you have here is an album that could have been released by any new indie band. Utterly forgettable. Expand
  9. Mar 4, 2013
    I think this is a pretty good album, kind of RnB-indie-pop, the melodies are great and songs have a rather epic sound. the one negative... the lyrics aren't that great but these are redeemed by the really well produced music.
  10. Sep 9, 2013
    It's such a great and unique sounding album. Some of the lyrics are a bit bland but all of the sounds and beats and the other bandmates make up for it with such unique songwriting. Plus it's $6.99 for 15 tracks, why not pick it up. I love it.
  11. Mar 4, 2013
    thought this was just ok.Sounds quite poppy really,not thAT is a bad thing. Just wasn't too impressed with the lyrics. I must admit i am a stickler for lyrics. overall i give it 5
  12. Sep 17, 2014
    I´m sorry guys, but this album seems just so forgetable and boring... I was really hyped for it... as "Pompeii" is a brilliant song, but I can´t really even remember how I felt after listening to it. The songs are mostly forgetable, the album as a whole is forgetable, the atmosphere is nothing special. I was expecting much more.
  13. Sep 23, 2014
    It´s a nicely produced, predictable and somewhat tame collection of standard indie-pop-songs. The songs all work well in their own place, but in the end it feels like all of these songs could be radio smash hits, written and performed in the exact same way by any other indie-band. In other words; the songs work well on their own but are ultimately too weak to form an entire album. They wear out after a few listenings... Expand
  14. Apr 26, 2014
    Love, love, LOVE! If I could have given a 100000/10 I would have. Dan is a master at story telling, the lyrics in this album are incredible and together with the amazing music.. it truly makes for world class stuff! Looking forward to their future albums, I'm sure there is bound to be plenty more.. and seeing Bastille live in concert is a must on my bucket list for sure! A brilliant album all round. Expand

1. For everything Smith lacks in wordsmithing, his bandmates make up for in straight up dramatic songwriting.
    There’s nothing inherently wrong with this too-many-feelings, heart-on-your-sleeve approach; it’s just that, played out over the course of an entire album (or on the airwaves, over the course of several years), the whole thing starts to feel a bit contrived.
  3. Jul 25, 2013
    Lyrics are corny and sometimes funny.