Barton Hollow - The Civil Wars
8.3

Review this album

1. Feb 2, 2014
    This is one of my all-time favorite albums. Every song is in my Top 100 playlist. If I was on a deserted island I would take this album with me. This is as real, pure, soulful, and honest as music can get. The partnership of JW & JPW's voices is perfection and their songwriting leaves nothing lacking. The covers are pure icing!
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    I couldn't believe it when I first listened to them that this is just their debut album. They sound like they have been making music for decades now. The tracks are all produced beautifully with Joy's and John's vocals mix in just the right amount of harmonization. Barton Hollow is absolutely one of the best folk releases in years.
  3. Jan 20, 2012
    The Civil Wars build off of Allison Kraus and The Swell Season in a very effective way. The ballads are lovely and carefully crafted. In today's music, it is very refreshing to hear a girl/guy duo sing together with such great songwriting. We need more of these collaborations in today's music.
  4. Dec 29, 2011
    The best new group on the music scene today. Joy Williams breaks away from her pop-rock background and turns in a stunning performance as a sensitive romantic lover. She was heading in this direction in 2009 with "Speaking a Dead Language" only to discover the perfect compliment in John Paul White, whose the voice and body frames her masterfully. As good as this album is they are even better live where the harmony of their entire selves shines through. Their remake of "Dance Me to the End of Love is better than the original. Their musical style is likely too niche to achieve mainstream success but they will go on to build a devoted (even rabid) fan base. Count me as being on the bandwagon, right now. Expand

1. Apr 25, 2012
    Two gorgeously restless, swarthy voices destined to be together. [May 2012, p.92]
  2. Apr 13, 2012
    Deeply unengaging. [May 2012, p.94]
  3. Mar 30, 2012
    A timeless, anachronistic record, Barton Hollow could be from 30 years ago, or it could be from 30 years hence.