9.3

Review this album

1. Mar 4, 2013
    my favourite band and my favourite album of all time.Yes even better than without you i'm nothing. Glam rockers placebo emerged back in the mid nineties at the height of britpop era.Whilst there were many copy bands of the likes of oasis and blur,placebo were totally unique.Influenced by bands such as sonic youth,brian molko and the gang made unique angsty songs that people could relate to. A band of outsiders for outsiders i believe Molko quoted and this is true.If you are angsty you are likely to relate to this band. I also think molko is an underated guitarist and uses some weird kind of tunings at times.That coupled with a unique high pitch voice and poetic lyrics,the band is vastly underated.Loved and loathed in equal measure,placebo aren't likely to appear on the front cover of NME again.But who needs NME?.They get it wrong a lot and there top 100 lists are predictable. I will continue to love this band till i die and never forget 'peeping tom' off this record. Expand
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    I'm not surprised that this album gets unfavorable reviews from critics (65/100 on metacritic, while user score is 95/100) because this album don't need too much time to entertain, but needs some time to appreciate it in the way it should be appreciated. It's very melancholic album about human behavior, social maladjustment, social exclusion and it needs time to understand and interpret it... this is not for guys sitting and listening to music all day only to create as much reviews as they can.

With "Without you I'm nothing" this is the best Placebo album and one of my personal favorites.
    Molko and his crew did some experiments to expand their music with new sounds and even more mysterious lyrics and as a result we received album with 12 little drugs that just can't get out from my head.

Atmosphere and confusing lyrics mixed with catchy sounds made this album a little phenomenon for me, literally a drug that makes me high or makes me sail away if I'm already high.

1. Black Market Music loses its sparkle and its melodic sense whenever it grows a conscience.
  2. Black Market Music feels like a watershed, a merely good record after a great one, and that in itself is disappointing.
  3. Charging rock songs and austere balladry make this album resonate more than the morass of bad music currently plaguing us. [#155, p.80]