Bon Iver - Bon Iver
8.4

Review this album

1. Jun 21, 2011
    Justin! I want to hear your voice reverb over and over. I suppose I'll be happy, as long as, people stop citing Vernon as a great songwriter (comparisons to Dylan??) In a year or two no one will probably mention this album or even be listening to it - until the next indie masterpiece!
  2. Jun 21, 2011
    Some of the instrumentation is cool and the singing has some decent hooks. But after a couple songs, his white boys soul thing starts to grate, and god damn if Beth/Rest isn't the worst, cheesiest song of the year.
  3. Jun 23, 2011
    Probably one of the most boring musicians I have ever had the opportunity to endure. The songs are painfully beige, lacking of any emotion or creativity and totally forgettable.
  4. Jul 3, 2011
    I have decided after all these years of following metacritic to join the user review group. I must listen to a new cd every week. My drug is music .The reason to join this group of reviewers is because of Bon Iver. I tried many times to listen and understand this cd but no luck. Its just simply over rated and maybe its the voice but I just don't understand him. The music is very good but I will give them a chance to listen to this group live , how could everyone be wrong maybe live they sound better.....Puzzled Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2012
    I absolutely loved For Emma, Forever Ago. It was one of the most beautiful albums I had heard in a while, and it created such a soundscape with a minimal amount of instruments and very little multi-tracking. So what went wrong? The problem with this album is it's over reaching attempts to sound almost post-rock-y with it's ridiculous amount of added instrumentation that simply doesn't belong. The songs aren't intimate anymore, they are just a sea of "lets see what we can fit in to this song", which is ultimately much less enjoyable and incredibly forgettable. Expand

Bon Iver sounds distinctively matured and alive on Bon Iver: an album that even still, in the late winter, months after its release sounds magical.
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    In an industry flooded with trumpeted artists not worth their weight in salt, Bon Iver's abstract ruminations more than warrant the hype.
  3. Aug 3, 2011
    Akin to For Emma, Bon Iver breaks the listener's heart. And to experience an album (an oft-dreaded sophomore album, no less) that evokes such deep emotion is a welcomed pain.