6.9

Review this album

1. Andy
    Apr 19, 2006
    Boomslang is a great record. Marr has kept it simple and not gone for broke with an overly polished & epic yet empty record - much like the ones we here from the likes of Coldplay. The musicianship is fantastic; Starkey's a great drummer...probably the best around at the moment. Great stuff.
  2. PierreV
    Feb 21, 2003
    Mediocre and has-been. It is so sad to see Johnny Marr playsing such an awful sound (a kind of parody of Oasis). The Smiths ! Please come back !
  3. GeorgeA
    Jun 10, 2004
    This album is ALLOT better than the average reviews indicate, song are very un smiths like,the OASIS parody critism is ridiculous it's just because he sings a bit like liam(mancunian accsent?) this is musically better than OASIS!, This album is worth buying just for last ride alone great song!
  4. DonH
    Feb 9, 2003
    As a devout Smiths fan who went into a severe musical depression in '87 when The Smiths called it a day, I must say that the long and painful wait to hear Johnny Marr in complete control of his craft again was worth it. This CD is absolutely amazing, and the best thing to come out in more years than I can remember. Johnny Marr is a genius when it comes to arrangement and he's As a devout Smiths fan who went into a severe musical depression in '87 when The Smiths called it a day, I must say that the long and painful wait to hear Johnny Marr in complete control of his craft again was worth it. This CD is absolutely amazing, and the best thing to come out in more years than I can remember. Johnny Marr is a genius when it comes to arrangement and he's not a bad guitar player either. His vocals are so good that he makes me wonder why he hasn't been in front of a mic before this. His lyrics aren't in the same ballpark as Morrissey's, but then again, whose are? I am always knocked out by Marr's ability to mix textures, and nobody (except maybe The Edge) can do what Marr does better than it's done on Boomslang. Expand
  5. JohnT
    Jul 12, 2005
    Very surprised at the mediocre reviews. This is a fantastic record.
  6. GerryL
    Feb 13, 2003
    hypnotic, melodious, very nicely done
  7. Jan 21, 2012
    For an album penned by the greatest pop guitarist ever, this is a sad affair. Johnny has clearly been caught up in the originality Black Hole that engulfed almost all post britpop bands. None of these tracks show the genius guitar work that we know as trademark Marr- rather a mixing pot of all of the worst aspects of 2000's guitar culture. But its ok, we forgive you Johnny.

As a record of one man's love affair with his guitar, it's a solid testament. As the work of one of British music's unshakeable geniuses, however, it's not really worth the name. [Mar 2003, p.98]
    Most rewarding are the serene "Something to Shout About" and the cascading "Down On The Corner": respectively, the No 1 smash Electronic should have had and the massive hit a reformed Smiths still could. [Mar 2003, p.95]
  3. Highly recommended.