Born This Way

8.0

Review this album

1. Nov 11, 2013
    I'm thoroughly surprised at the quality brought before me, as I was originally turned off by the Arcee inspired art and overproduced nature of the first two singles. This just proves that (and I know it's hard to except) that I can be wrong, but at the end of the day folks (dare I end it on such an obvious note, ah what the hell) I was born this way.
  2. Dec 7, 2016
    It is and will remain one of the best and most important pop records of the decade. Apart from the odd head scratcher ('Highway Unicorn', 'The Queen', and the title track), every track is incredible in it's own way. This is pop's answer to hard-rock - taking pop and pushing it to it's ultimate limits. It didn't only confirm Lady Gaga's talent, it enhanced it.
  3. Aug 15, 2013
    My favorite CD from Lady Gaga. "Born This Way" is creative and different, and an icon in pop music. The best songs are "Americano", "Bloody Mary", and "Highway Unicorn (Road To Love)".
  4. Apr 3, 2015
    This album really lies between The Fame and The Fame Monster. It's a good album with a positive message and great production. The only concern I have about Born This Way is that the music gets repetitive after a while. This album earns a B from me. Highlights: "Born This Way", "The Edge of Glory", "Government Hooker". Worst song: "You and I"
  5. Aug 10, 2014
    Born This Way came out in 2011 and it's still one of the most polarizing pop records in the '10s, Lady Gaga channels her inner Bruce Springsteen on an arena rocking scale, Queen on a campy scale, and Madonna on a musical scale and, well, everywhere else -- "Born This Way" comes close to being hailed as one of the greatest remixes of "Express Yourself" to date. But although herBorn This Way came out in 2011 and it's still one of the most polarizing pop records in the '10s, Lady Gaga channels her inner Bruce Springsteen on an arena rocking scale, Queen on a campy scale, and Madonna on a musical scale and, well, everywhere else -- "Born This Way" comes close to being hailed as one of the greatest remixes of "Express Yourself" to date. But although her gender-f***ing emulation might be her trademark, Lady Gaga certainly is an icon in her own right and has her own emulating pop stars to increase her impact in terms of influence in the mainstream music industry.

Notably, BTW is musically, vocally, and conceptually about whatever the hell it wants to be: Gaga sings in French, Italian, Spanish, and faux-German gibberish -- she "Doesn't speak German, but [she] can if you'd like" -- to dance-pop gloss covered in influences of EDM, country, rock 'n' roll, heavy metal, and in "Americano"'s case, mariachi, while turning sex, race, religion, immigracy, and LGBT rights into 16 of the catchiest pop songs of the early '10s, whether any of it feels natural or not. And although there are times when she takes herself way too seriously ("I'm gonna marry the night/I'm not gonna cry anymore"), Gaga is also a songwriter of epically goofy proportions, spouting some very, very memorable lines: ("Fame hooker, prostitue wrench, vomits her mind"), ("I don't speak German/But I wish I could"), and the most grandiose of them all ("I want your whiskey mouth all over my blonde south").

The highlights on BTW come from the latter end of the disc: "Heavy Metal Lovers" sure ain't metal on any musical level, but it has leather-stutted-gay-haus-dancing-in-the-dark-dirty house music down to an art; "Electric Chapel" is an ethereal electronic rock song that's more ABBA than ABBA's cover group A-Teens (who were one of my guiltiest pleasures ever, by the way); "You & I" features former Queen guitarist Brian May on the electric guitar that'll be the first and last country rock ballad dedicated to the state of Nebraska; and at last, "The Edge of Glory" is an '80s wannabe arena pop stomper that was written about the death of her grandfather in 2010, which not only shows off Mother Monster's vocal pipes, but it's also a highlight in the '00s' era of electronic music, topped by an unnecessary yet nonetheless epic saxophone solo from the late legend Clarence Clemons.

In retrospective, Born This Way very well could have worked as a successor to her most recent ARTPOP, because it's the Gaga we fell in love with during the 21st century. It's compositional pretentious never fails to rival of the heart that Gaga injects into it. It's not a masterpiece more than it is an admirably cohesive pop collection of songs that show just how inspirational top 40 music can be. It's not as if we all have to like it -- it's drained of innovation on a technical scale and we're still waiting to meet Stefani Germanotta when she's not in make-up or meat dresses. But whether it's for her commandment on the dancefloor, her wild, Bjork-esque fashion choices, or her support for the LGBT community, you got to respect on some sort of level.
  6. May 28, 2012
    A Powerful Album!
    Unforgetable This Album Has Gotten Slammed Alot! I Have No Clue Why.. Its Simply Amazing
    Hair Should Be A Single!
  7. Dec 16, 2014
    The best of her album, all the songs are good, literally all, an album with quality and great vocals, the pop world needs more albums like this, so good I have no words to say about it.
    Highlights: Scheibe and Government Hooker
    Lows: Bloody Mary and Black Jesus Amen Fashion
  8. Jan 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Born This Way é um bom álbum, mas não sei o porque desse endeusamento com ele. Com uma estrada longa (e, muitas vezes, cansativa) de 17 faixas, nem 10 conseguem ser realmente boas. Mas é uma boa pedida pra quem gosta de um pop com muitos sintetizadores.

Pontos Altos: Judas, Hair, Born This Way
    Pontos Baixos: Bad Kids, Government Hooker, Heavy Metal Lover
  9. Nov 21, 2015
    Writing a review 4 years later. If there's one thing at least everyone can agree on regarding this album, it is that for a pop album, it sounds NOTHING like any other pop album, both in 2011, before that and up till now. Lady Gaga is simply one hell of a songwriter and artiste. This album made such a grand statement in it's artistry I can confidently say it is her best work. First time IWriting a review 4 years later. If there's one thing at least everyone can agree on regarding this album, it is that for a pop album, it sounds NOTHING like any other pop album, both in 2011, before that and up till now. Lady Gaga is simply one hell of a songwriter and artiste. This album made such a grand statement in it's artistry I can confidently say it is her best work. First time I heard it, I heard lots of fillers. however, over time, i came to see what gaga was envisioning when writing these songs and arranging this album. 9/10 without a doubt (Previously 7/10) Expand
  10. May 26, 2017
    The Best Pop Album Of The Year, The Best Lady GaGa Album, One of Best Pop Albums Of All Time. And Even Maybe One Of Best Albums Ever Made

here Lady GaGa is on TOP OF THE GAME, in her best album yet, even if The Fame Monster were a studio album because who don't know is a EP!!! this album is even better for a while....

Lady GaGa is one of best artist acting now in music industry
  11. May 24, 2011
    This album is really good. I don't see how anybody could hate this album. How can anybody say this album was horrible. I know its different from her other two albums but it still keep the electro pop sound. This album gets more personal but still has dance tracks, Lady Gaga on this album shows that she can sing. I love Lady Gaga. The Fame and Fame Monster was amazing album. This isThis album is really good. I don't see how anybody could hate this album. How can anybody say this album was horrible. I know its different from her other two albums but it still keep the electro pop sound. This album gets more personal but still has dance tracks, Lady Gaga on this album shows that she can sing. I love Lady Gaga. The Fame and Fame Monster was amazing album. This is different from those two albums. I think this album is her best yet. At first i didn't like the direction she was going for this album. After listening to this album I became to love it. This is one of the best albums of the year so far. Gaga on this album show people that she can song. Her song writing for this album is really good. I do miss the old gaga but this gaga is cool also in my book. I like the style for this album. This album sounds like an 80s album and also 90's and today. This is an album that some gaga fans would love and some wouldn't. Some people didn't like the direction she went for this album, I understand. Like I stated before I didn't like the direction she was going for this album. This album has some dance tracks like The Edge of Glory. This song is Gaga best yet. Love that song. Some songs are dance songs but still have an electro pop sound to it like You And I. This might be Gaga best album. Right now this is her best album but all her albums gets the same same ratings for me which means all her album are tie to me. This is my favorite right now at the moment but all her albums are really good. I don't see how anybody could give this album a 4 and down. Expand
  12. May 7, 2016
    Best album of Lady Gaga. Every tack is wonderful. Rangin from LGBT based "Born In This Way" and "Americano" to soulful perfomance of "You and I" and "The Edge of Glory", this is what Lady Gaga is - an artist. Gaga's vocal delivery is worth praise. Ofcourse the "Madonna" factor is all over the album, especially "Born In This Way" - modern version of Madonna's hit "Express Yourself". ButBest album of Lady Gaga. Every tack is wonderful. Rangin from LGBT based "Born In This Way" and "Americano" to soulful perfomance of "You and I" and "The Edge of Glory", this is what Lady Gaga is - an artist. Gaga's vocal delivery is worth praise. Ofcourse the "Madonna" factor is all over the album, especially "Born In This Way" - modern version of Madonna's hit "Express Yourself". But Gaga still creates her own current. Also, the sentiment of the song "The Edge of Glory" is beautiful. There could'nt have been a better closing track. Moreover, This is how a Pop album should sound like. Expand
  13. Sep 22, 2016
    Gaga in full form. Her most well known record to date. In my eyes it's a very important record in the eyes of pop music. While not succeeding The Fame Monster in terms of quality and how big the sound is, it still stands as a close to perfect pop record as anything released in the past 10 years that ISN'T Gaga.
    SONG I LIKE: 16 (favs: Electric Chapel, You and I, Marry the Night, Edge of
    SONG I LIKE: 16 (favs: Electric Chapel, You and I, Marry the Night, Edge of Glory, Hair, Bloody Mary, Fashion of His Love)
    SONG I DISLIKE: 0
    SONGS IDK ABOUT: 1 (Americano)
  14. Mar 24, 2013
    Every Song Is Amazing And Unique In It's Own Way! Almost Every Song Off The Album Could Be A Single! This Album Does Not Suck As Many Reviewers Stated... Possibly The Best Of 2011!
  15. Mar 24, 2013
    I don't think anybody saw it coming when Lady Gaga changed her genre slightly to show of the amazing vocals that most people never thought she had in the first place. Her songwriting talent shone on this album as well. My one comment would be the use of auto tune that can be found on a few tracks. Other than that, the Grammy-nominated album was one of the best of 2011.
  16. Jun 20, 2017
    Yoü and I - 10
    The Edge of Glory - 9

score: 9,1
  17. Apr 30, 2014
    It's good, and unique, and artistic, and good. But was there really a need to make such lyrics for Government Hooker? Was there a need to stray away from the inspiring, individualistic nature of the album itself? And the filler tracks were fillers.
  18. Jun 20, 2011
    The most awaited album of 2011 has arrived! Though the top tracks like "Fashion Of His Love" and "Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" were only on the Special Edition, the album itself is worthy of the title of ALBUM OF 2011. It brings back the 80s vibe and saxophones are present throughout the album. The highlights of the album are "Hair", "SheiÃ
  19. Nov 14, 2013
    Born This Way was such a double-edged sword for Gaga. Things started out so well, with one of the biggest singles of her career and an amazing 2 million copies sold on the first day worldwide, including 1.1 million in the US alone. But then, things started going wrong. Polarising single choices, overexposure and too much weirdness all caused the album to die a slow death. By the time theBorn This Way was such a double-edged sword for Gaga. Things started out so well, with one of the biggest singles of her career and an amazing 2 million copies sold on the first day worldwide, including 1.1 million in the US alone. But then, things started going wrong. Polarising single choices, overexposure and too much weirdness all caused the album to die a slow death. By the time the tour began nearly a year after release, it was only the fans that cared anymore. Despite this, she managed to pull in a $181 million grossing world tour and had her final dates not been cancelled due to her hip injury (the icing on top of a terrible year), the tour would have been her second consecutive one to hit the $200 million mark. But the public still looks upon the album as a failure which is frankly baffling.
    So, why is the album looked upon so negatively? Because I think it's brilliant. Gaga really showed her diversity with this mesmerising body of work that has shades of light and dark, positivity and sadness. We get uplifting tracks about acceptance with Born This Way, Bad Kids, Hair, ScheiBe and Highway Unicorn. We get sexy songs like Government Hooker and Heavy Metal Lover. We get dark, spooky songs with Bloody Mary and Electric Chapel. We get religious commentary with Judas and Fashion Of His Love. We get deeply personal songs for Gaga in the form of Marry The Night, The Queen, Black Jesus/Amen Fashion and You And I. And we get the astonishing power ballad tour de force that is The Edge Of Glory. It's hard to find a pop album is deep, diverse and personal as this. It should be a pop classic but unfortunately will likely by filed under "under-rated diamond in the rough." I hope it hasn't ended Gaga's career for good because it's evident from this album that she has so much more to give.
  20. Sep 1, 2015
    An amazing whirlwind of an album that's hinted with 80's dancepop and rock cheese with a true and deep connection hidden below the surface. It will take you to church, take your virginity and get you drunk all at the same time. Such an amazing album by the Queen, Lady Gaga.
  21. Aug 16, 2017
    Pop, rock y un poco de electrónica es la combinación que se utilizo para crear esta gran biblia, Gaga nos demuestra que llego para quedarse, sin duda nos demostró que ella puede superarse sin problema alguno.
  22. Aug 4, 2011
    Born This Way is an album by a great musician blending and experimenting the sound of all her musical inspirations. Born This Way is too long for a single disc album and it sounds unfocused because you are confused if her direction is techno or pop rock. The use of religious names is getting offensive, she should get rid of it. The blend of electro-disco and pop rock in songs such as HairBorn This Way is an album by a great musician blending and experimenting the sound of all her musical inspirations. Born This Way is too long for a single disc album and it sounds unfocused because you are confused if her direction is techno or pop rock. The use of religious names is getting offensive, she should get rid of it. The blend of electro-disco and pop rock in songs such as Hair and Bad Kids is awkward. The unnecessary remakes or versions of Express Yourself is not needed and makes the album sound unoriginal. Overall, Born This Way is a solid pop album together with her first two albums. Expand
  23. Jun 20, 2014
    O melhor album da Gaga e O MELHOR ALBUM QUE JÁ OUVI,a Gaga traz músicas sombrias,felizes e dançantes,ela consegue celebrar a aceitação de todas as formas possíveis,ela te lembra o lado negro de ser você e o lado arco-íris.
    Pena que não levou 1 Grammyzinho.
  24. May 23, 2011
    14 EARWORMS. Her music has totally evolved and the diversity of this monster provides music for everyone. It's a brave and proper step and though it is clear that this is not (yet) "album of the decade", only time will tell. Just settle yourself for the biggest pop rollercoaster ride Gaga has ever conceived. A masterpiece.
  25. Dec 17, 2014
    Durante la era Born This Way, Gaga re-invento los estándares de la música pop desde sus bases con melodías pegajosas, memorables y cantos llenos de energía.
  26. May 25, 2016
    Not going to lie, this album is Gaga's best album to date. The title track is one of the most empowering and one of the best songs of this generation and in my opinion it will become the 'Like a Virgin' of our generation however the message is very different. All the singles from this album DESERVED to be singles and so Gaga did justice to the singles and to the album as a whole. VeryNot going to lie, this album is Gaga's best album to date. The title track is one of the most empowering and one of the best songs of this generation and in my opinion it will become the 'Like a Virgin' of our generation however the message is very different. All the singles from this album DESERVED to be singles and so Gaga did justice to the singles and to the album as a whole. Very proud of this album and will definitely be one of my favorites of all time. Although Gaga did disappoint us with ARTPOP considering it one of her worst album despite all the hype around it!! Expand
  27. Aug 11, 2011
    This album's great, but there's really only four songs you truly need from it: "Judas", "Born This Way", "Electric Chapel", and "Edge of Glory". Otherwise, it's just the usual Gaga fill-in we saw in THE FAME MONSTER.
  28. Sep 23, 2014
    This album is so different of everything that Gaga did and it's awesome. She can sing Rock/Jazz/Pop. She is a singer, She is a true Artist. And I'm very proud =)
  29. May 23, 2011
    Amazing album. Other than Highway Unicorn (Road To Love) which is horrible, every track is unique and has something to offer. The album includes everything and even the ones who did not enjoy her previous work will find something they like.
    Standouts:
    Government Hooker, Judas, Marry The Night, The Edge Of Glory, You and I
  30. Jul 27, 2011
    Track By Track- Marry the Night- hot and amazing. Very well done. Born This Way- an OK song certainly not her best. Government Hooker- cool name but it is insane. I don't get it. Judas- I love it! One of her best songs yet. Sure it might be just a remix of Bad Romance but who the hell cares? Americano-worst song. ever. it sucks. that is all i'm gonna say. Hair- i love it so much! it superTrack By Track- Marry the Night- hot and amazing. Very well done. Born This Way- an OK song certainly not her best. Government Hooker- cool name but it is insane. I don't get it. Judas- I love it! One of her best songs yet. Sure it might be just a remix of Bad Romance but who the hell cares? Americano-worst song. ever. it sucks. that is all i'm gonna say. Hair- i love it so much! it super cute and everything. It is very nice. Scheisse- a German electropop song that talks about **** Cool. Bloody Mary- my second favorite song in the album. Slow but cool. Bad Kids- in the top 3 of the best songs in this album. Loveable. Highway Unicorn- stupid much? Heavy Metal Lover- idiotic. Electric Chapel-weirdly amazing? You and I- Cool. Sounds Amazing. The Edge of Glory- best GaGa SONG YET. Expand

1. Sep 25, 2014
    Lady Gaga promised her fans (perhaps a tad prematurely) that her new album would be the greatest of the decade. But even if the next nine years bring something better, we're unlikely to hear anything bigger than Born This Way.
  2. Q Magazine
    Aug 8, 2011
    Born This Way feels like the first proper Lady Gaga album. [Aug. 2011, p. 114]
  3. Jul 6, 2011
    Gaga has always been able to anchor her haughty conceptual undertakings with simple, catchy tunes, but with Born This Way, the persona and the message are starting to bleed into the songs. It's not a good look.